The old Rangers end at the Piggery

It was around or just before that time, mate. Newcastle Brown and Pomagne bottles were all the rage to be thrown around at football matches.

Which is why you would see fans wearing protective site helmets in red white and blue colours at the games.

Somebody should be able to to come up with a photo

I'm glad I experienced it as well, the New Year game of 94 was out of this world,.3 up after half an hour. I've heard stories of poets getting in after 5 mins had passed, hearing they were 2 down and heading straight out :))

We had a full 50 seater heading to that game, more than the local mhank club could muster.
Ended up with 8 stitches on my head that day , celebrating MIkos first goal , never felt a thing till it had settled down for 5 minutes , blood running down my face thinking what the fleck , still to this day no idea what happened but it was worth it

First time there new year 1968 2 2 draw John fallon in goal for them let in two howlers after the second one I landed about 20 yards away from my mates
Then we started singing "Thank you 2 goals from John Fallon thank you, thank you very much" to the Scaffold song The Aintree iron

My fondest memories were of us meeting in the Keystane in Landressy St Bridgeton. It would be rammed with us and jumping but nae party tunes. If anyone stepped out of line the grill came down and the manageress who was probably in her 70's and about 5ft would come out and assure everyone present that nae mair drink was getting served till we behaved. Way more intimidating than R.M at the Louden if you ask me.
;)

Absolute shithole. Remember a wall collapsing once on my way in to it. Also remember getting seperated from my dad there on the day Hillsborough happened and thinking I was going to get swept away in a fucking crush. A fucking cesspit.

The wall collapsing game was a 1-1 draw in 85 iirc and the game on the same day as Hillsborough was a Scottish cup semi-final v St Johnstone. I remember the attendance being given as 47,000 and wondering where the other 14,000 would go. Didn't even have any gaps in the stairways that day. Could be wrong but sure some fans spilled onto the trackside at the "Celtic end" due to the crushing taking place.

I think the game you are talking about was a 3-1 defeat in the league September 1972, John Greig scored.
74 game was the game McDougal and Jackson scored for us.
Nearly 50 years ago Joe Mason a name from the past, well remembered.

The 3-1 defeat where JG scored was at Hampden as they were rebuilding the main stand at Celtic park.

I think the game you are talking about was a 3-1 defeat in the league September 1972, John Greig scored.
74 game was the game McDougal and Jackson scored for us.
Nearly 50 years ago Joe Mason a name from the past, well remembered.
September 72 game was at Hampden, their stand was being redeveloped. First ever 12 noon kick off, and I remember it because it was my first OF game.
Incidentally the 74 game was my first at the Piggery. mentally challenged mate of my old man got us stand tickets in the home section. Had to sit through that game without letting on we were Bears.

It should be added that the capacity could vary wildly as the mentally challengeds used to operate a pay at the gate turnstile which could inflate the crowd if there was a late surge. I was in such a situation around 1983/4 when a crowd of us went following our amateur match being cancelled late on. It was the 3 each draw and the crowd in that end was beyond scary.

Many a good day in the old Rsngers end .Thousands of bears all packed it .always used to stand at the railings just next to the normans land just st main stand .There used to be some fights just at the old railway bridge on london road .The old celtic park was good for a lift over lol

As others have said, fond memories, but that's all to do with celebrating with massive amount of Bears, the ground itself was disgusting thinking back, I've been in the Celtic end in 89, same day as Hillsborough and looking back its thanks to good fortune the same didn't happen there, scandalous when I think about it.

I was in the Jungle for the 93 cup final and it was aptly named for the regulars, horrendous place and they called it paradise!!

Cool. I've been going since 1964. The last time I was in the jungle was a league or league cup game in 1974 which we lost. Joe Mason was playing midfield that day.
Definitely had a part of the jungle in 1974. I stood in it in January that year when we lost 1 - 0. Doug Houston was in our team.

1992 3-1 win Bomber leapt the hoarding cue bedlam got smashed in the nose which started bleeding all over my new Rangers shellsuit.
Was fucking raging

Absolute shithole. Remember a wall collapsing once on my way in to it. Also remember getting seperated from my dad there on the day Hillsborough happened and thinking I was going to get swept away in a fucking crush. A fucking cesspit.
Was at that game V St Johnstone was a crush with fans spilling out onto the track remember thinking it was bad at the time, then got home after the match to hear about Hillsborough

Just slightly before my time, was there once, for the semi final v Hearts in 1993? In the jungle.

Used to love when I was young (infant I still do) watching the videos when the camera panned to the Rangers end after we had scored. Looked absolutely pandemonium, intact I dont think I've ever seen celebrations like it.

September 72 game was at Hampden, their stand was being redeveloped. First ever 12 noon kick off, and I remember it because it was my first OF game.
Incidentally the 74 game was my first at the Piggery. mentally challenged mate of my old man got us stand tickets in the home section. Had to sit through that game without letting on we were Bears.
You are correct , the game was moved to Hampden.
The new main stand was officially opened v Spurs in August 72, a relative took me and his nephew to the main stand that night.
It failed a safety certificate before we were due to play them in September and moved to Hampden with a noon kick off.
The previous season both league cup games were played at Ibrox due to the redevelopment.

Was at that game V St Johnstone was a crush with fans spilling out onto the track remember thinking it was bad at the time, then got home after the match to hear about Hillsborough
It was horrific at the time then a fucking nightmare when I got back to the bus and heard what was going on in Sheffield.

I was around 10 1985 or so I'd only been to a few away games with my dad and the grounds I went to you kind of expected nothing fancy I was shocked the 1st time I went to the piggery I remember most things about it.queueing round the streets to get in where the bus parked the turnstile entrance and the rangers end. it was a fkn cesspit its shaped how I still regard the filth

202004032114551585945310.gif

So many great memories and disappointments but they day they chopped 10,000 from our allocation it was never the same again.

Used to love going to the terraced Rangers end of the Piggery,20 thousand bears strong,first went mid 80s as a young teenager i was in awe of the Rangers support,never seen so many nutcases in the one place,anyone got some good memories to share,must be some cracking stories to be told!
Singing the sash in the jungle . Loved the rangers end but was a death trap . Remember being at the cesspit on the day of hillsbourgh . Was a miracle the same thing never happened

It never got pulled down after the 1993 Scottish Cup Final, they were putting seats in it for 1993/94 season

But they couldn't handle the fact that our game would have been the last as a terracing so organise a 'Gala Day' the day after the final which involved a game between ex players of Celtic and Manchester United
Your memory better than mine, seem to remember semis and finals walking their usual route to game with union flags and red hands hanging from flats near ground

Always remember the Desmond White banner being unfurled :)
was that when super Ally scored after 20 seconds early 80s? i was standing right underneath the guy at the time and when the polis tried to bring him down from the pillar he threatend to pish on them lol happy days "desmond white s**** C**** in H***"

I fell during a goal celebration at a game in the late 80s. I remember looking up and this big fella was holding people back, making sure I got up ok. Big guy, long dark hair, long dark beard. I’ll forever be grateful to him.

Yes it was great when we won and it’s great to reminisce but if we are all honest it was a fucking death trap, I’m amazed no one died in that shithole.
Remember trying to get out , fucking terrifying !

As a sixteen year old I took a half bottle of 'Old England' wine in there with me, I got fucking smashed on it.
Don't ask me how this event occurred but I woke up around 9pm (starting to get dark) lying on the grass in Glasgow Green with my scarf round my neck and another on my wrist.
Promptly sobered up and quickly got myself out of there and home.
My mate told me next day he saw me jump on a bus for no reason heading toward that direction. o_O

202004032114551585945310.gif

So many great memories and disappointments but they day they chopped 10,000 from our allocation it was never the same again.
[/QUOTE]

The H/T sing song was always fun, bears climbing up along the steel beams at the roof, cops standing pointing at them telling them to get down and being told to fcuk off

Last edited:
The old main stand had a capacity only 5 thousand before development in 1971,less than half the size of Ibrox.
I was at the 1969 semi v Aberdeen at Parkhead and remember the enclosure in front of the stand, the crowd was over 66 thousand.
Do older Bears remember us having the enclosure on our side in the 1968 4-2 game.

I started going to the games without my dad in the late 70s and the excitement going to place like the piggery and Hampden was ,well I don’t know how to describe it.
There is many memories going to the piggery and not many good times in the early years but they did get better .
Who all remembers the flag day at the piggery and within weeks the glossy poster in FF
What year guys?

First time I saw us win there was a sunny midweek match in 1976 ,Glasgow cup final ,3-1 to The Rangers. Fortunate to have been there when Alex Miller smashed in the late winner in 1980,but seen a lot of defeats too. As mentioned above,you can't really describe the intensity of being there. No better feeling than beating them in their own midden.

I’m sure the Filth had small wooden huts at the back selling pies etc, one game one of them get wrecked and the pies were getting passed about with the bears

I cant remember if it was at the Piggery or Hampden when we scored there was a cloud of dust that would rise from the dirt/rubble underfoot
MInd once I think early 80s one of the wooden huts getting set on fire.

Maybe the same game as the “Desmond White” banner, which from memory was only displayed for 5 minutes before Plod waded in. It will however live forever.

My memory of that game was everyone being astonished when they announced the attendance

"Used to love going" is never a sentence I'd utter in relation to a trip to the Tramphitheatre.

Shit hole then, shit hole now, shit hole forever.

Back