50% wages deferred for 3 months

Rooney hit this square on the head when he asked if bankers , fund managers actors and other major earners are being hounded like football players, yes players get well paid but not the only people who do, a top footballer will be on 40 or 50% tax off their money right away.

Aye very good, I don’t care what Rooney says and what other people in other walks of life get.

The players in my opinion should have took a wage cut and not a deferral.

Not impressed. They are being paid huge money to do nothing. They could sacrifice a portion of their wages to pay the other staff. Pretty pathetic to be honest.

Agree with your sentiments here. There is NO football being played in the next few months... a salary cut until football resumes is what all clubs and players should be looking at.

Yeah sorry but that’s nothing special from the players and management given the circumstances and the current crisis. They’re entitled to it of course so I’m not about to tear them down, but personally I’m disappointed there’s no small cut instead of a very short term deferral whilst other staff are furloughed.

I thought a lot of them were better than that and would be more generous and look out for the club a tad than they have done.

We know they’ve agreed to collect some of their money a few months later. That’s about as much as we need to know. I mean you’d imagine the idea of small but temporary cuts was discussed because that really would benefit the club much more, and well we can fill in the blanks.

I’m not having a massive go, they have contracts and they’re entitled to the money, I just won’t be massively singing their praises or kowtowing to them for agreeing to collect some of their cash a little later than usual during a crisis, given they’re all very wealthy individuals.

But you're agreeing with a guy who was having a snidey dig before we really know anything.

You can't really fill in the blanks when you don't even know what blanks need to be filled. Do we know if the club approached the players for a wage cut? Do we know if they approached them for anything at all? Do we know if the players accepted or rejected anything? What if the club said 'LADS! What are yous like?! Thanks for the offer of 99% wage reduction but WE WILL NOT ACCEPT! Let's do 3 months 50% wage deferral'.

We don't know anything. This could be a nice touch from the players, it could be shite from them or it could be neutral.

Surely the time to make snidey digs (or equally, heap praise) is when we actually know some facts.

Does that make it all right that the players are effectively doing nothing and will still be picking up their £££.
I was replying to the point you made in your earlier post that players are not taking any cut but that staff will be furloughed and only receive 80% -neither of which has been confirmed
I don’t think we can say that the players are doing nothing as we don’t know the detail

But you're agreeing with a guy who was having a snidey dig before we really know anything.

You can't really fill in the blanks when you don't even know what blanks need to be filled. Do we know if the club approached the players for a wage cut? Do we know if they approached them for anything at all? Do we know if the players accepted or rejected anything? What if the club said 'LADS! What are yous like?! Thanks for the offer of 99% wage reduction but WE WILL NOT ACCEPT! Let's do 3 months 50% wage deferral'.

We don't know anything. This could be a nice touch from the players, it could be shite from them or it could be neutral.

Surely the time to make snidey digs (or equally, heap praise) is when we actually know some facts.

That's not how follow follow works mate.

Common sense and the fact the club have actually felt the need to furlough staff says they’ll have broached that subject of cuts, you don’t need to have it all spelled out really, given it would be the easiest and best way for the club to give itself more breathing room where finances are concerned.

And actually I didn’t agree with the guy at all if you go back and read my post, I just added my own tuppence worth that a deferral isn’t anything to write home about and I could understand why people aren’t exactly impressed by this.

A cut would have been better - and using the cut to top up normal staff (assuming they get furloughed and thus 80%) to 100%.

Edit - I see the story is now deferrals, furloughed staff topped up which is good.

I’d have preferred salary cuts but this is a decent gesture and should go some way to helping us through a very difficult period.

Putting staff on furlough is piss poor from football clubs that are paying substantial wages to senior players.
What’s the alternative? The furloughed staff aren’t any worse off than they would be if the club didn’t use the scheme.

Using the scheme makes a positive difference to the club and, along with the 50% wage deferral by the players, saves a substantial monthly cash outflow when there’s nothing coming in.

So, we're doing the same to non football staff as Celtic did to theirs.

But in addition, the high earners are taking a deferred pay cut.

So overall, everyone ends up getting the money they should get, but the taxman pays 80% of the non football staff money for a while.

Fair summary?

It’s a Fair Summary but the wrong decision.

No football club should be paying crazy money on footballers wages but then rely on government to pay 80% of non playing staffs wages.

I dont understand the negative reaction.

These measures mean that every single employee will receive 100% of their entitled wage. Yes some earn more than others but it still sees all employees earn 100% salary during a dark and difficult time where many are losing their jobs.

Good move from Rangers, sensible managemenet and no hardship or wage loss caused to any member of the family

To put it into my way of thinking.

we are willing to pay Morelos 10k for the next 3 months and then give him another 30k when this is done ( assuming it is ) But we can’t pay a groundsman or ticket office worker 300 quid a week and expect the government to pay it.

The only reason I used Alfie for the example as he will probably be out top earner but you could say Kent, Tav etc

Just to be clear it’s not personal

Think this is poor, deferral gives up nothing just delays payment in full to a later date.

Hardly a sacrifice, would it really have been too much to ask for already well paid football players and management to take a wage cut for a few months?

Does that make it all right that the players are effectively doing nothing and will still be picking up their £££.

There contracted to be paid every week/month so whatever anyones opinions of them they should still be paid. I'd have preferred a cut though instead of them getting it back. It wouldnt effect the top earners at the club but for the fringe player a 30% cut might not be sustainable to the Bill's for them.

I’m not exactly overwhelmed by the players’ position, but pleased nobody will be losing out.

Back