Bury FC phoenix club

Couple of questions for the Bury fans on here:
1) Have you been able to watch football this season, or has it been too difficult with what happened to your club? Asking because I’m unsure how I’d feel about watching a match, knowing that Rangers had been taken away from me and could no longer compete in a competition. I’d genuinely probably find another hobby, like shopping with the missus! *shudder*

2) I read that you had some loyal non-playing members of staff (one woman had worked for the club for over 40 years I’m sure). Are these people behind the Phoenix club idea, or are there any plans to get them involved?

All the best to you all!
I personally haven't watched a football game since last season, what the Bury AFC crew as done is we meet up every week in 3 local pubs so we are putting money in and hopefully keeping them open, plus we keep in touch with friends and family and have a good drink at the same time. About the No 2 I don't don't regarding that one sorry UTAFC and The GERS

Couple of questions for the Bury fans on here:
1) Have you been able to watch football this season, or has it been too difficult with what happened to your club? Asking because I’m unsure how I’d feel about watching a match, knowing that Rangers had been taken away from me and could no longer compete in a competition. I’d genuinely probably find another hobby, like shopping with the missus! *shudder* Personally, I've not been to one live game...no interest whatsoever. That said, some have embraced other teams/leagues...especially non league games, @seasideshaker has been to a game nearly every week. But I would say the majority have sacked it off. I have Match of the Day and EFL on Quest on permanent record (although not now coz of coronavirus!) but nearly always just delete, unless there's been a great game or some controversy...like a dirty tackle or scrap or VAR! I've watched the odd live game on TV...but it has to be something that catches the imagination. Like Man Utd v Liverpool or Rangers v Celtic or some lower league games with rivalry, Derby v Forest or Rotherham v Doncaster or Plymouth v Exeter or a top European game but I really need to support a particular team, otherwise it just bores me tbh. Btw my Scottish team, after Rangers! Is Fort William (I had a special spiritual Christian moment a few years ago in front of the 3 Sisters mountain range in Glencoe)...so think Fort William is the closest team and I was going there anyway. But what the hell is wrong with them?! I've never known a team to have such a tragic set of results over such a long period time. :oops:

2) I read that you had some loyal non-playing members of staff (one woman had worked for the club for over 40 years I’m sure). Are these people behind the Phoenix club idea, or are there any plans to get them involved? You're right. The woman in question is Joan Curtis, she's 80 now and still comes in every other day to do a bit of work for free (see article on her below...a bit historic now but you'll get the idea). Like her son, Mike Curtis (our Groundsman) still tends to the pitch for free - it's in immaculate condition (see Colin Murray's brilliant article on him below). There's another lady as well - Lynne Kent, who is Joan's daughter and Mike's sister (obviously!)...who carries on working for free from time to time. Their grandfather Bill Gorman, played for Bury before the outbreak of World War II. There are one or two others working, who apparently still get paid by Dale...which is a bit fishy tbh. And no doubt he'll have furloughed them by now...he'd tread over his own mother to save or make money. Actually, I've just realised I've not answered your question...probably because I don't know! I'm sure they will follow Bury AFC (including other ex staff, many of whom were fans) but like most of us (and even more for them) Bury FC is in the heart...so I think it would be tough, especially if we have to play at another ground. This isn't the best of analogies (and apologies if it upsets or offends anybody) but it's a bit like a child dying and then adopting another. Does that make sense?

All the best to you all! Thanks x
Good questions and not easy answers. See in bold above.

The following are the links I mentioned, along with a couple more and some photos. Tragic, truly tragic.

Joan Curtis is Bury Football Club's Hero

"Losing Bury is like a bereavement - worse than when my dad died" Mike Curtis

We even made the New York Times:

Their Football Club vanished but they kept on coming

Fcuking hell, just come across this now...read and weep:

Bury FC: The football fans without a team

Joan on her 80th birthday:

D7Ppaj2W4AADscj

Mike tending to the pitch for free (heartbreaking):

_110540545_mike1_976.jpg

Our immaculate pitch:

Header_2801675_16.9-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
You're still Bury - and the FA Cups you won back in the day are still yours.
Cheers mate - appreciated. I need a beer or two now though!!!

Seriously though, it is like a death and as time goes on...it sort of gets easier or perhaps don't think about it as much. But then I do a post like that and it hit's you like a ton of bricks.

And seeing some of those photos again... :(

_110540589_scarves1_976.jpg

_110540543_kenny1_976.jpg

_110540590_scarves2_976.jpg

_110540541_joy_976.jpg

merlin_165328506_9e5aced4-3d95-4f17-89fd-7a6579e3281b-jumbo.jpg

Last edited:
You're still Bury - and the FA Cups you won back in the day are still yours.

Seriously though, it is like a death and as time goes on...it sort of gets easier or perhaps don't think about it as much. But then I do a post like that and it hit's you like a ton of bricks.

_110540541_joy_976.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Still waiting on word from media ads on an update on auld Kenny to see if he's wanting a membership, is there a time limit to buying these

_110540541_joy_976.jpg

Still waiting on word from media ads on an update on auld Kenny to see if he's wanting a membership, is there a time limit to buying these
[/QUOTE]

_110540541_joy_976.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Firstly, there's no real time limit BUT the sooner the better, as there's going to be members votes soon, e.g. kit/badge choice, board members, etc.

Secondly, that's not great by @Media&Ads although I do know the team leader (Adam) is really busy as you can imagine. Plus, it's tracking Kenny down. Last I heard, he was living in assisted housing but could have moved and as you know he doesn't do technology, so he won't have a mobile or anything, I doubt he even has an email address.

That all said, given the kind gesture of buying his membership for him...the least that should be done is for you to be updated.

Two choices Billy, I could PM Adam aka @Media&Ads or you PM him. I'm easy either way, although I have been hassling him recently(!) and in many ways, I'm just passing your message on, to then pass back to you. Up to you though mate, just let me know either way.

Think I've messed up your quoting system btw!!! :oops:

[/QUOTE]
Firstly, there's no real time limit BUT the sooner the better, as there's going to be members votes soon, e.g. kit/badge choice, board members, etc.

Secondly, that's not great by @Media&Ads although I do know the team leader (Adam) is really busy as you can imagine. Plus, it's tracking Kenny down. Last I heard, he was living in assisted housing but could have moved and as you know he doesn't do technology, so he won't have a mobile or anything, I doubt he even has an email address.

That all said, given the kind gesture of buying his membership for him...the least that should be done is for you to be updated.

Two choices Billy, I could PM Adam aka @Media&Ads or you PM him. I'm easy either way, although I have been hassling him recently(!) and in many ways, I'm just passing your message on, to then pass back to you. Up to you though mate, just let me know either way.

[/QUOTE]
Adams explained about Kenny's situation, but he's got some plan in place to make contact with him, so that's fine, I'll contact him later this week and ask, would be great to have Kenny on board after following the team for all his days.
Think most Bears will follow advice from Bury fans about badge etc, would be the best thing if Bury fans decided kit badge etc

[/QUOTE]
Adams explained about Kenny's situation, but he's got some plan in place to make contact with him, so that's fine, I'll contact him later this week and ask, would be great to have Kenny on board after following the team for all his days.
Think most Bears will follow advice from Bury fans about badge etc, would be the best thing if Bury fans decided kit badge etc
[/QUOTE]
Nice one Billy. You've probably seen Adam is doing the competition for our away kit. If not, have a look. It's loads of past away kits in a World Cup Group style knockout voting system. Groups of deaths and all sorts!!! It's open to anybody at the moment, which has it's pros and cons...it's attracting quite a bit of social media attention, which can only be good. But we'll be having numbnuts from Bolton and Rochdale voting for the worse kits!

When it gets to the final 4 though, it's members only, so that takes out the prospect of a horror show (like Celtic's pink kit!) and an incentive for supporters to join. Problem though, is there's no chance Kenny will have a computer, there's a slight chance he may go to the library to use but a long shot tbh...I'd be amazed if he's even got an email address. So that's another problem for Adam, coz literally every member is linked to an email address. Anyway, not our problem.

But just have a look at this shit show:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/kits/69736/shit-football-kits-burys-away-kits-1993-98.html

This one won yesterday: :oops:
0cb1b.jpg

And this one is winning today: :rolleyes:
Bury1.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Nice one Billy. You've probably seen Adam is doing the competition for our away kit. If not, have a look. It's loads of past away kits in a World Cup Group style knockout voting system. Groups of deaths and all sorts!!! It's open to anybody at the moment, which has it's pros and cons...it's attracting quite a bit of social media attention, which can only be good. But we'll be having numbnuts from Bolton and Rochdale voting for the worse kits!

When it gets to the final 4 though, it's members only, so that takes out the prospect of a horror show (like Celtic's pink kit!) and an incentive for supporters to join. Problem though, is there's no chance Kenny will have a computer, there's a slight chance he may go to the library to use but a long shot tbh...I'd be amazed if he's even got an email address. So that's another problem for Adam, coz literally every member is linked to an email address. Anyway, not our problem.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/kits/69736/shit-football-kits-burys-away-kits-1993-98.html

0cb1b.jpg

Bury1.jpg

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

0cb1b.jpg

Bury1.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Also, I'll be getting my Bury AFC membership next week. It was minted seeing all you travel for Gerrards first game at Ibrox. Applauding the Lee Rigby memorial and belting out GSTQ.

I have no few words to offer your situation as a club other than at a time like this, you have already found out who your fewest, true friends are. Ignore the nonsense, the irrelevant and the noise.

Mon the Shakers :))

Some real garish away kits are getting plenty of votes, I like it! :D

The kit World Cup is decent for a bit of engagement and activity at the moment.

Any update with your MB? I'll get signed-on there once it's back up and running.
I'll ignore your first sentence. ;)

Totally agree though re the World Cup/Away Kit Comp...it's good fun and as you suggest, engaging. Bury AFC already has 10,000 followers on Twitter, some of those have been via the comp. I know you Bears will probably have 10 million Twitter followers...but it's good for us, especially as the team hasn't even started playing yet. Well we've no Manager or players for starters and that's before I get on to coronavirus!!!

The update on our MB, is no update. Sorry. I've made a note in my diary to let you guys know when it's ready but I wouldn't hold your breath. The annoying thing, is it is up and running but there's some sort of virus in there or something and the website developers can't sort it. So for example, it works fine for me, but then for others they can't send PMs and then others can't read PMs and so on and so on...

Personally, I'd take a chance and open it up to the public to view, I'm not an expert but I can't see that causing more problems and then fair enough, don't allow new members until it's sorted, with the benefit being the world can at least read. But the website developers aren't too keen on that and our Mods even less so.

I did post the below on another thread, so there are other options to keep in touch:

In the meantime (whilst I don't do Twitter or Facebook) you can view/join the following:

https://twitter.com/officialburyafc?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBuryAFC (They can be a bit strict with new members, as we get numbnuts from other clubs taking the piss but if you mention my name Andy Ashworth/R11 BFC or for better or for worse my son(!) Matt Ashworth...you'll get on)

Website (not a MB) for Bury AFC is:
https://buryafc.uk

Sorry Andy, but this was my favourite ever Bury top and absolutely gutted when it got lost moving back home from Uni - Did live with two Bolton fans so blame them!
Tbf I did buy it! But I was quite happy giving it away to an African charity (along with that other monstrosity) when there was an appeal for old football shirts.

When I'm feeling down, the thought of a couple of African lads wearing them makes me :)

Also, I'll be getting my Bury AFC membership next week. It was minted seeing all you travel for Gerrards first game at Ibrox. Applauding the Lee Rigby memorial and belting out GSTQ.

I have no few words to offer your situation as a club other than at a time like this, you have already found out who your fewest, true friends are. Ignore the nonsense, the irrelevant and the noise.

Mon the Shakers :))
Your post is now on our MB.

Thank you. Posts like yours (and there have been many)...

...mean so much to us and I've got bloody goose bumps again!!!

P.S. You've good fashion sense too. ;)

Your post is now on our MB.

Thank you. Posts like yours (and there have been many)...

...mean so much to us and I've got bloody goose bumps again!!!

P.S. You've good fashion sense too. ;)

The money is nothing really, enjoy seeing folk who love their teams dearly and honestly. Besides, I lived in F'field for 4 months pumping a bird from Oldham and I'm lactose intollerent.

%^*& the latics ;)

I'll ignore your first sentence. ;)

Totally agree though re the World Cup/Away Kit Comp...it's good fun and as you suggest, engaging. Bury AFC already has 10,000 followers on Twitter, some of those have been via the comp. I know you Bears will probably have 10 million Twitter followers...but it's good for us, especially as the team hasn't even started playing yet. Well we've no Manager or players for starters and that's before I get on to coronavirus!!!

The update on our MB, is no update. Sorry. I've made a note in my diary to let you guys know when it's ready but I wouldn't hold your breath. The annoying thing, is it is up and running but there's some sort of virus in there or something and the website developers can't sort it. So for example, it works fine for me, but then for others they can't send PMs and then others can't read PMs and so on and so on...

Personally, I'd take a chance and open it up to the public to view, I'm not an expert but I can't see that causing more problems and then fair enough, don't allow new members until it's sorted, with the benefit being the world can at least read. But the website developers aren't too keen on that and our Mods even less so.

I did post the below on another thread, so there are other options to keep in touch:

In the meantime (whilst I don't do Twitter or Facebook) you can view/join the following:

https://twitter.com/officialburyafc?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBuryAFC (They can be a bit strict with new members, as we get numbnuts from other clubs taking the piss but if you mention my name Andy Ashworth/R11 BFC or for better or for worse my son(!) Matt Ashworth...you'll get on)

Website (not a MB) for Bury AFC is:
https://buryafc.uk

Cheers mate.

Im on the ball already with the social media stuff, it's good to have an interest in your next chapter.

i'll hopefully get to know lads like yourself a bit better as time goes on.

The money is nothing really, enjoy seeing folk who love their teams dearly and honestly. Besides, I lived in F'field for 4 months pumping a bird from Oldham and I'm lactose intollerent.

%^*& the latics ;)
I was born at Fairfield Hospital. Like you, your club is in your heart, whether it's the best club in the world or the worst (like Fort William!).

My Dad took me to Bury, like his Dad took him and I took my Son.

We have a song...the chorus is below and says it all.

And haha but don't get me on to the BIFFOs...Bolton and Rochdale are bad enough!!!

Son take my hand,
Come walk with me,
I'm taking you,
To watch Bury.

A right by birth,
Blessed upon you.
Come rain or shine.
You're white and blue.

https://suavemartyrs.bandcamp.com/releases

Will any of your Bury boys and girls be coming back up to catch a europa league game next season? Would be nice to meet some of you! You have to experience Ibrox on a European night. No EPL club outside Liverpool could match that for atmosphere.

Always a spare bed or two here if you need it. I charge a proper Lancashire pie for my dinner :))

Easy to say in hindsight Shug.

We weren't the first club to suffer badly due to unscrupulous custodians but it doesn't really sink in until it bites hard. Others could say that we didn't help them prior to 2012.
Good points, well made. The best support we've had, has come from clubs who have been through it and I mean really through it. Like yourselves and Brighton and Portsmouth and Plymouth and Wimbledon and Accrington and Orient and so on...

It will be interesting to see how much coronavirus bites clubs...maybe some clubs' supporters, who laughed and danced on our grave, may have a bit of karma.

That said, I wouldn't wish it on any club and any club...is its supporters. Like you though, until it happens, you tend to feel sorry and then move on but when it happens to your club...you know how it feels and then have the compassion and empathy to help other clubs in the future.

And tbf, not better than Glasgow Rangers.

WATP :))

Will any of your Bury boys and girls be coming back up to catch a europa league game next season? Would be nice to meet some of you! You have to experience Ibrox on a European night. No EPL club outside Liverpool could match that for atmosphere.

Always a spare bed or two here if you need it. I charge a proper Lancashire pie for my dinner :))
Would love to mate...if you can us tickets!

I watched the Braga game on TV. Incredible.

What say you @seasideshaker?

Good points, well made. The best support we've had, has come from clubs who have been through it and I mean really through it. Like yourselves and Brighton and Portsmouth and Plymouth and Wimbledon and Accrington and Orient and so on...

It will be interesting to see how much coronavirus bites clubs...maybe some clubs' supporters, who laughed and danced on our grave, may have a bit of karma.

That said, I wouldn't wish it on any club and any club...is its supporters. Like you though, until it happens, you tend to feel sorry and then move on but when it happens to your club...you know how it feels and then have the compassion and empathy to help other clubs in the future.

And tbf, not better than Glasgow Rangers.

WATP :))
Simple reason we were not helped was because all the rest hate us more than they love their own team, every forum has a thread ongoing dedicated to us, actually quite funny they hatred consumes them.
I'm talking in Scotland here

Absolutely love this strip by the way.

bury-fc-away-football-shirt-1998-1999-s-41898-2.jpg
That's coz it's like a Rangers top!!!

No seriously (well I am being serious!) one of my favourites.

I always think away kits should simply be a reverse of the home kit. Then when you need to mix and match it still looks good and also keeps your colours.

Then if we played a team in blue and white stripes or hoops (sorry!) have a completely different third kit.

I want ours to be choc brown and sky blue (our original colours...I love history and tradition) the idea is a bit marmite down here...but I love 'em.

The below is our original kit from 1885...the belt is just ace! Doesn't need to be in halves, just keep the colours. We also had the same colours as our home kit for our 125th anniversary year (again see below):

y0woYGq26O9Y6Feun25aMWjCUUht-sTcDMHkBzeYJeWYdf43alc4ErX5m4G3mwmmeUyaso4Nv_GYoUbZkr8Qz_eXEmIsWah98MuhTB7ktDUXxiVGMW1YFmI
dWQWJT-Y4bn39q2yjfV0r9gdN41jeCYVR-Hm7y-FhzyBBhUoRi1ABfQhEVDIwblCSnTjp6137qU48Ke7deORsfWACUf1P-ztylkHi7R9ToG0Qb9Ooxs

Simple reason we were not helped was because all the rest hate us more than they love their own team, every forum has a thread ongoing dedicated to us, actually quite funny they hatred consumes them.
I'm talking in Scotland here
Good point. It would probably be the same down here if it was Man Utd or Man City tbh.

Did you get support from some English clubs? Don't you have connections with the likes of Chelsea, Portsmouth, Charlton, Millwall, etc.?

I‘m definitely up for coming back up, and I said I’d bring @R11 BFC with me next time I came so it’s a win win! I had a great time earlier this season, even though the game wasn’t great (and 24hrs late!). Oswalds and The Bristol are two pubs everyone should visit! As long as we can sort tickets then we will be there, and thanks for the invite.
Hopefully next week I’ll have some real news involving our two clubs. Something that will really bond the fans together.

Good point. It would probably be the same down here if it was Man Utd or Man City tbh.

Did you get support from some English clubs? Don't you have connections with the likes of Chelsea, Portsmouth, Charlton, Millwall, etc.?
No not that I remember, Peterhead up north and linfield No were good, others up here in the premier League especially couldn't wait to have a kick, they even laughed that without us they would fill their own stadiums, so they announced on media there would be a sell out Saturday/Sunday, worked out well, even down in the bottom league there was more at our place than the others combined, even when those without soap were at home there was more green seats than fans

That's coz it's like a Rangers top!!!

No seriously (well I am being serious!) one of my favourites.

I always think away kits should simply be a reverse of the home kit. Then when you need to mix and match it still looks good and also keeps your colours.

Then if we played a team in blue and white stripes or hoops (sorry!) have a completely different third kit.

I want ours to be choc brown and sky blue (our original colours...I love history and tradition) the idea is a bit marmite down here...but I love 'em.

The below is our original kit from 1885...the belt is just ace! Doesn't need to be in halves, just keep the colours. We also had the same colours as our home kit for our 125th anniversary year (again see below):

y0woYGq26O9Y6Feun25aMWjCUUht-sTcDMHkBzeYJeWYdf43alc4ErX5m4G3mwmmeUyaso4Nv_GYoUbZkr8Qz_eXEmIsWah98MuhTB7ktDUXxiVGMW1YFmI
dWQWJT-Y4bn39q2yjfV0r9gdN41jeCYVR-Hm7y-FhzyBBhUoRi1ABfQhEVDIwblCSnTjp6137qU48Ke7deORsfWACUf1P-ztylkHi7R9ToG0Qb9Ooxs
The modern versions quite good

No not that I remember, Peterhead up north and linfield No were good, others up here in the premier League especially couldn't wait to have a kick, they even laughed that without us they would fill their own stadiums, so they announced on media there would be a sell out Saturday/Sunday, worked out well, even down in the bottom league there was more at our place than the others combined, even when those without soap were at home there was more green seats than fans
Surprised actually, coz you do have a connection with some English clubs...don't you?

We've had clubs' supporters laughing at us down here...Rochdale, Tranmere and Shrewsbury in particular. Sad. Can't wait till we play them again...even if it's just in the FA Cup.

Linfield doesn't surprise me. Hah. When they played Celtic in the Champions League was quality. Okay they got beat...but they travel well.

Fair play to Peterhead too. Surprised Hearts didn't help out. Maybe coz you're such a big club...other clubs/supporters thought you'd be okay. Must admit, I did. Presumably, if similar happened to Celtic...they'd have the same lack of sympathy from other Scottish clubs (Hibs apart maybe) or is it purely a Rangers thing?

pixel.gif
KR-CELTIC-V-LINFIELD-STOCK26.jpg

When are the player trials
Once coronavirus is over and we've appointed a Manager!

In a perverse way, coronavirus will probably help us, i.e. no costs = break even, fund raising = profit. Doubt there's any other club in the lower league/non league making a profit at the moment...only losses.

Obviously, I wouldn't wish coronavirus on anybody...well maybe our chairman and ex chairman!!! But whilst other clubs have costs to meet and reduced income; we don't have any of that...all the work done at the moment is by volunteers. 300+ with team leaders heading up certain areas, like Community Engagement, Fund Raising, etc.

There's going to be a members vote to chose a Chair and Board Members and then they'll crack on and appoint a Manager, with a very small backroom staff and then players will be trialled/signed.

A fan owned club is great coz you get a say but there has to be a limit...I don't think all us voting for a manager to be appointed or sacked would work. Haha. But it's been great so far re choosing our new name, kit, our new badge (don't think we can keep our original one as it's copyrighted) and so on.

Anyway, are you a good player then?! ;)

Surprised actually, coz you do have a connection with some English clubs...don't you?

We've had clubs' supporters laughing at us down here...Rochdale, Tranmere and Shrewsbury in particular. Sad. Can't wait till we play them again...even if it's just in the FA Cup.

Linfield doesn't surprise me. Hah. When they played Celtic in the Champions League was quality. Okay they got beat...but they travel well.

Fair play to Peterhead too. Surprised Hearts didn't help out. Maybe coz you're such a big club...other clubs/supporters thought you'd be okay. Must admit, I did. Presumably, if similar happened to Celtic...they'd have the same lack of sympathy from other Scottish clubs (Hibs apart maybe) or is it purely a Rangers thing?

pixel.gif
KR-CELTIC-V-LINFIELD-STOCK26.jpg
Hearts were like the rest, which at the time was surprising,

Once coronavirus is over and we've appointed a Manager!

In a perverse way, coronavirus will probably help us, i.e. no costs = break even, fund raising = profit. Doubt there's any other club in the lower league/non league making a profit at the moment...only losses.

Obviously, I wouldn't wish coronavirus on anybody...well maybe our chairman and ex chairman!!! But whilst other clubs have costs to meet and reduced income; we don't have any of that...all the work done at the moment is by volunteers. 300+ with team leaders heading up certain areas, like Community Engagement, Fund Raising, etc.

There's going to be a members vote to chose a Chair and Board Members and then they'll crack on and appoint a Manager, with a very small backroom staff and then players will be trialled/signed.

A fan owned club is great coz you get a say but there has to be a limit...I don't think all us voting for a manager to be appointed or sacked would work. Haha. But it's been great so far re choosing our new name, kit, our new badge (don't think we can keep our original one as it's copyrighted) and so on.

Anyway, are you a good player then?! ;)
We would be able to keep the badge Andy, it's the stars we won't be able to keep UTAFC and The Gers

Radcliffe seems like a decent set-up by the way.

It won't replace Gigg Lane for you of course, but for the forseeable it looks like a more than adequate temporary base. Have they got a good social club in the ground?

Radcliffe seems like a decent set-up by the way.

It won't replace Gigg Lane for you of course, but for the forseeable it looks like a more than adequate temporary base. Have they got a good social club in the ground?
Yes! And one of the benefits of non league football is you can have a pint whilst watching the game...

Back