Public consultation on new flats at Ibrox

Stayed in the redeveloped Ibroxholm high flats, was class views of the city one side and Ibrox the other side. Could see right up the touchline of Main Stand to BF1 area. View wise, Ibrox was always surrounded by flats. Going to be some parking issues for sure. Surely the old wine alley area would be more suited to flats. Merchant Homes surely for sale, rather than the new GHA/mid market rental at the front of the stadium @ Skene Rd. All for the Ibrox train station reopening.
Great view that, I remember it well

So it look like we are looking for additional land . Really surprised at Councillor Dornan supporting a station . That would be great if we could get a the station opened.

Few points, it's a pain in the arse to get out at end of games, if we have parking on multiple sites as some other posts suggest, with buying other land around the stadium, it could aid traffic flow and actually improve the current situation.

Train station is pretty much a no goer, due to finances, and the fact it wont be needed other than 20-25 home games.

New subway trains will be in traffic in couple of years, maybe sooner (aye...) increased capacity and shorter wait times due to new signalling system etc, so in theory every 2-4 minutes, should help get more people onto public transport.

I had heard about this months ago that we had sold the land although was unsure what type of development it would be.

Having seen the proposed site boundary line, I have a feeling we may have also sold the remaining leftover of the car park to someone else although I stand to be corrected on that

I have and its the bottom half of the Albion, mate.

You said it was on the vacant land on the opposite side of Edmiston Drive from the Broomloan Road Stand - it's not. It's on half of the Albion carpark.
yj4I74n.jpg

This proposed development is horrific. Apart from it taking up 3/5 of the Albion Car Park, architecturally it is a complete and deliberate noise up. Someone is at it to see what they can get away with.

The Bill Struth Main Stand is designated a Category B Listed Building - Archibald Leitch's masterpiece. A thing of age and real architectural merit crafted out of handmade and polychrome brick. Even those who don't particularly like us as a club would grudgingly agree with that.

So what do we have here, we have a proposed building of cheap modern red brick arches which seems to be have been wilfully placed to clash with our Main Stand. In my opinion it is a deliberately cheap kitsch imitation to detract and architecturally devalue what we already have.

Merchant Homes at the noise up, perhaps. Are these going to be luxury for sale flats no. They are most likely to be sold on / built for the GHA / Wheatley as rented accommodation. Nothing wrong with that in itself.

However, does GHA / Wheatley (Glasgow City Council buddies) have the mindset to spit at Ibrox. You better believe it. If they are getting these built / buying them from Merchant Homes then they will have their hands all over the design.

Unless the club don't get their cash for the land until the Planning Permission is granted, they should object this clusterfuck of building. They should probably have a say in the design in any case.

This proposed development is horrific. Apart from it taking up 3/5 of the Albion Car Park, architecturally it is a complete and deliberate noise up. Someone is at it to see what they can get away with.

The Bill Struth Main Stand is designated a Category B Listed Building - Archibald Leitch's masterpiece. A thing of age and real architectural merit crafted out of handmade and polychrome brick. Even those who don't particularly like us as a club would grudgingly agree with that.

So what do we have here, we have a proposed building of cheap modern red brick arches which seems to be have been wilfully placed to clash with our Main Stand. In my opinion it is a deliberately cheap kitsch imitation to detract and architecturally devalue what we already have.

Merchant Homes at the noise up, perhaps. Are these going to be luxury for sale flats no. They are most likely to be sold on / built for the GHA / Wheatley as rented accommodation. Nothing wrong with that in itself.

However, does GHA / Wheatley (Glasgow City Council buddies) have the mindset to spit at Ibrox. You better believe it. If they are getting these built / buying them from Merchant Homes then they will have their hands all over the design.

Unless the club don't get their cash for the land until the Planning Permission is granted, they should object this clusterfuck of building. They should probably have a say in the design in any case.
Imitation is the highest form of flattery and should take as a compliment that the red brick design and arched windows similar to our main stand is a good thing.

Would you rather see flats getting put up rapid that looks like every other set of flats that is built, It's quite a bespoke looking building unlike any other in recent years which has been built which all look the same which are for sale.
Remember also that these are no more than artist drawings, plans and design very often get changed from originals.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery and should take as a compliment that the red brick design and arched windows similar to our main stand is a good thing.

Would you rather see flats getting put up rapid that looks like every other set of flats that is built, It's quite a bespoke looking building unlike any other in recent years which has been built which all look the same which are for sale.
Remember also that these are no more than artist drawings, plans and design very often get changed from originals.

Imitation next to any iconic listed building is never a form of flattery, it is kitsch and is not usually allowed, so we will see what happens with Planning Permission here.

A lot of the flats that are getting put up around Hinshelwood and Ibrox are not the worst compared to some others that I have seen. Personally, I'd prefer if there was some club facilities or development directly linked to the club on the Albion, rather than any flats, but GCC would probably not allow that, and it may not be a priority for the club.

Yes, plans and details often get changed, and I hope that this is the case here.

Reading on twitter, that we have been looking at land in clynder street to offset the parking loss due to the build. This was done in Dec of last year

Clynder Street is at the wine alley. Surely trying to get traffic flowing from a car park there would be horrendous due to how narrow the streets are around it and also losing the proximity to the motorways.

Reading on twitter, that we have been looking at land in clynder street to offset the parking loss due to the build. This was done in Dec of last year

I had a quick look on google maps and there’s a huge big chunk of land available on Clynder Street as circled below. There’s also an extra bit of land being created with the demolition of the building just down from the wee Rangers Club.
Let’s wait and see how it pans out, it’s possible the club have traded one area off for the acquisition of another 2 and with the idea of the old Ibrox Station being reopened. There’s no point in getting our knickers in a twist until we know the full story.

Clynder Street is at the wine alley. Surely trying to get traffic flowing from a car park there would be horrendous due to how narrow the streets are around it and also losing the proximity to the motorways.

If they plan to officially use the Clynder street area for parking, then they’ll have to provide some form of security for the cars.

How much are we getting from this?

I'm amazed that they have decided this without consulting supporters....if I'm being cynical then it suggests to me they knew it wouldn't go down well.

Parking is already a nightmare, this is going to make it 10x worse.

On the 4lads block Castore confirmed one of their big priorities is getting a fanzone which will be in place when crowds are back in place.

Could this be part of an overall plan to get a fanzone in place?

Hopefully there is a big picture plan in place but selling land right at the ground seems a strange move.

I had a quick look on google maps and there’s a huge big chunk of land available on Clynder Street as circled below. There’s also an extra bit of land being created with the demolition of the building just down from the wee Rangers Club.
Let’s wait and see how it pans out, it’s possible the club have traded one area off for the acquisition of another 2 and with the idea of the old Ibrox Station being reopened. There’s no point in getting our knickers in a twist until we know the full story.

Well said, all guess work at the moment so let’s wait and see what the club say before going off on one.

Some people need to chill it’s almost as if we immediately jump to the nuclear negative reaction to news ! One day the club are praised for new kit deals and the board are excellent next day there not cos they haven’t informed anyone about a possible land sale.
the whole area around our stadium is a shite hole and needs investment and regeneration likeother have said let’s wait andsee firstly if it’s true and then what the plans are.

Getting a good kit deal doesnt give them a free pass to sell assets without telling the fans.

The days of us not questioning our boards have to be over.

Some people need to chill it’s almost as if we immediately jump to the nuclear negative reaction to news ! One day the club are praised for new kit deals and the board are excellent next day there not cos they haven’t informed anyone about a possible land sale.
the whole area around our stadium is a shite hole and needs investment and regeneration likeother have said let’s wait andsee firstly if it’s true and then what the plans are.
This place is mental at times.
The guys who say this a disgrace are the same ones who would be going ballistic if that lot sold a car park for redevelopment.
As for blocking the view. From where? The Albion car park? You will still be able to see it from everywhere else. Let's wait for the details before greeting about it.

Will be interesting to see what the club have to say about this. Unless there's something major we don't know about it would look like we're set to lose the only viable land for future 'Rangers' development. Mind you, everything the club talk about in that regard seems to evolve around a 1970's asbestos ridden box, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Back