Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

I’m not going to agree or disagree with any of the posts or the OP.

But the fact is he has only lost one league as this season the title was “ awarded “ to our rivals.

And as many on here have said they were catchable with us having to play them twice etc.
There was no chance we were catching them,we were in free fall and they were scoring from all areas of the park,it pains me to post that but sadly its the truth,anyone who thinks after getting beat twice by hearts and then Hamilton are delusional.somthing went badly wrong after beating the scum we may never know what happened but somthing certainly must have

Warburton was attempting to engineer a way for him to get a new job while retaining a big fat severance payment. He showed little ability to improve once we were promoted, defensive mistakes were not being learned from and the recruitment of Garner and Barton, arguably his two biggest signings, was (and I'm being charitable) flawed. I do not think that the comparison is sufficiently valid.

The above does not mean that I think a level of sycophantic behaviour towards anyone involved with Rangers is healthy. We have collapsed in consecutive new years, the squad seem to swing from mentally strong to very fragile almost week to week and our slavish devotion to a rigid system does us no favours domestically because we have been figured out.

I have seen improvement which means that I am personally happy to see Gerrard continue. Bringing in a new manager is not without risks, it is an expensive process and I think that continuity is important. All in all I would rather wait until the season has actually started before attempting to build a rod for Gerrard's back.

If we're talking about repeated mistakes then Gerrard is culpable as well, I'm afraid.

We have yet to put up a title challenge, wilting at the exact same point as last year; we've failed to win regularly against utter dross, this season dropping points successively to Hamilton and Hearts; for all the pathetic apologist we-were-the-better-team argument that followed the final, we've yet to lift a trophy; I'm not really sure what our style of play is, and I'm not sure Gerrard knows either, and he certainly still doesn't know how to win/change a game. We're weak.

I'd agree with your last point, but there are plenty of doubts and worries that need to be addressed - the last few weeks of the "season" had a real end-of-days feeling about it.

He doesn't win the league next year, but wins the Scottish Cup, what then? Given the sack, I don't think so, imo.

It would depends on the points difference come May.

If we win the Scottish cup and take them all the way to the split and lose out by 3/4 points then yes that's clear progress.

If we win the Scottish cup and lose the league by 9/10 points then in my opinion its game over.

I personally thought being 5 nil down at the piggery or watching the scum achieve there biggest victory at Ibrox in 50 years or part timers from Luxembourg eliminating us from European competition shit. Since Gerrard has come in he has improved us massively and has given me a lot more confidence that we can be successful again, that's not sugarcoating anything that is me being honest.

So he's improved us from a club that lost a game three years ago that we shouldn't have lost in the first place, and an Old Firm game that took place in season 2016/2017. Good.

Now his challenge is to improve us from what he has achieved, since he's been in the job for two years now, signed dozens of players and managed hundreds of games. Pedro and Warburton are history.

If next season is defined by another post-Christmas collapse, League Cup failure, an inability to progress beyond the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup but/and Europa League qualification, then that's not progress, and that's his fault, not a guy who was appointed manager five years ago.

How long are people using the last decade as an excuse

However it's not an excuse. 2012 was an unprecedented disaster which has never happened to a major club before. Literally starting again. Moreover, we aren't even back to wage budget parity with the scum yet.

When you pair that with poor managerial choices and money wasted, it's absurd to expect instant domestic success.
Going into his 3rd season having won nothing and saying if he fails a 3rd season on the trot he shouldn't get a 4th is far from demanding instant success.

Yes, you'll note some of them appear in the second paragraph.

They validate the comparison for me, and I'm not sure that improvement has been sufficiently progressive.

The irony is that for the sake of the club, we need to hope that Gerrard ignores the more sycophantic comments in this thread and takes the position that he's got a big job ahead of him.

So he's improved us from a club that lost a game three years ago that we shouldn't have lost in the first place, and an Old Firm game that took place in season 2016/2017. Good.

Now his challenge is to improve us from what he has achieved, since he's been in the job for two years now, signed dozens of players and managed hundreds of games. Pedro and Warburton are history.

If next season is defined by another post-Christmas collapse, League Cup failure, an inability to progress beyond the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup but/and Europa League qualification, then that's not progress, and that's his fault, not a guy who was appointed manager five years ago.
He has improved us greatly we're competing better domestically and competing fantastically well in Europe. Therefore we are moving in the right direction and with more confidence and consistency success will not be to far away.

He has to somehow stop those dirty rats winning the league next season. To them it’s the holy grail and they have no doubts they are going to win it with ease from what I’ve seen in the last few days.

They validate the comparison for me, and I'm not sure that improvement has been sufficiently progressive.

The irony is that for the sake of the club, we need to hope that Gerrard ignores the more sycophantic comments in this thread and takes the position that he's got a big job ahead of him.
There is a level of stubbornness with Gerrard which I find concerning, my other major worry is that he is very quick to criticise players in public. We know for a fact that Walter went through players when they deserved it, but if it ever left the dressing room then it wasn't the manager's doing.

I still think that there are enough positives. Some of our play in Europe was better than anything I have seen us play on that stage. Our performances against Feyenoord and Porto at Ibrox were particularly brilliant, for the first time in many years we looked like we belonged at the level.

That has to be tempered with the sub-par domestic performances. You don't win a league by beating FC Bheast, you win it by beating every other team in the league. We need to realise that and come up with some sort of plan which will have us unlock those packed defences regularly.

On balance, I suppose in have to agree and ib think that if the season had concluded naturally we would be looking for a new manager at the moment.

If there wasn't signs of progress then yeah I would agree it would be time for him to go but he deserves another season at it. Domestically we only have ourselves to blame again this season but we aren't helped by the fact they have also kicked on and improved this season again in terms of points total so even if we kept winning as well we would still be behind them.

While Europe has been a bonus you can't take away the difference he has made which has also helped the financial side of the club as well.

It's not deflection either my opinion is purely based on that we need stability at the club and we can't just keep sacking managers it doesn't work. We also can't continually afford the turnover of players in the squad either.

I agree he’s more or less earned another crack at it. But if we see a third repetition of the same mistakes then that’s it for him I would think.

He's pointing out the negatives that has happened. I prefer to look at the positives where we are able to beat Celtic home and away, we are punching well above our weight in Europe and went on a great undefeated run. I think we are the only team to qualify for the last 16 when starting from first qualifier in Europa league. I believe we were very unfortunate not to have won the league cup this season as we were by far the better team in the final. If we can improve our consistency then we have a chance to be successful next season.We have a huge season coming up and we need everyone to play their part not having fans sharpening their knives in the prospect of things going wrong.

That’s your problem here though mate. You prefer to put your fingers in your ears and ignore negatives. Fans who want to be more realistic about where we’re headed won’t want to take that approach, they don’t want to sit back and pretend our arse collapsing again in January is progress just because we won at the piggery.

I personally thought being 5 nil down at the piggery or watching the scum achieve there biggest victory at Ibrox in 50 years or part timers from Luxembourg eliminating us from European competition shit. Since Gerrard has come in he has improved us massively and has given me a lot more confidence that we can be successful again, that's not sugarcoating anything that is me being honest.

And again, it’s just a lame excuse mate. “The last guy was so bad, this makes current failures perfectly acceptable”. The fact that Gerrard is far more competent than a completely out of his depth coach who was completely unsuited to the club, does not in anyway justify two years of crap domestic performances and Cup exits to dross.

If it was Derek McInnes you wouldn’t be saying the above, and you know it. Compare his progress against his own previous season, this years collapse and Scottish Cup exit was actually worse than last year - so you can kid on that’s not hugely significant because we won at the piggery and have done well in Europe (we already know this team play far better when they’re not strong favourites), but a lot of us will look at that and see that it’s extremely concerning and suggests the gaffer either can’t or won’t make the necessary changes. You’ve said above that we just need more consistency, yet you’re completely unwilling to open your eyes and admit that he’s shown no signs of knowing how to change or get that consistency, and that by his own admission he didn’t know why we were in freefall or how to stop it.

He has improved us greatly we're competing better domestically and competing fantastically well in Europe. Therefore we are moving in the right direction and with more confidence and consistency success will not be to far away.

We were worse off in the league this season than last. 13 behind with a game in hand, spiralling out of control and the point gap was more likely to widen than close.

Plenty knew the league was over after the Hearts defeat at Tynecastle back in January. You saw the fear in the players face. We fell further behind as the manager and players had no answer.

In two seasons Gerrard is yet to win a trophy, he's yet to put up a title fight and the bheggars have had it easy Street since the turn of the year.

Waste of time mate. I’m sure the guy means well and I get that he wants to be an optimist (although taking it to extremes) but he won’t take any of that into account he’ll just keep talking about Pedro and a good European run. Im not sure of the avatar means he’s also a Liverpool fan and so maybe Gerrard is a bit more special to him personally or what.

That’s your problem here though mate. You prefer to put your fingers in your ears and ignore negatives. Fans who want to be more realistic about where we’re headed won’t want to take that approach, they don’t want to sit back and pretend our arse collapsing again in January is progress just because we won at the piggery.
It is very easy, have we improved under Gerrard Yes or No
I believe we have improved under Gerrard.

We have improved under gerrard but the after break slumps have cost us.
Next season is going to be a strange experience for all the teams,playing behind closed doors etc....we need to be prepared better than anyone to capitalise on that.

It is very easy, have we improved under Gerrard Yes or No
I believe we have improved under Gerrard.

From his first season? Barely if at all. 13 behind with a game in hand I believe is slightly worse off, exiting the Scottish Cup to bottom of the league Hearts in the Quarter final is FAR worse than going out to the sheep. But the issue is you’re not comparing this season to last season, you’re comparing this season to Pedro’s season because it suits your own agenda.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
Can someone please correct the title? Been nearly a week!!

From his first season? Barely if at all. 13 behind with a game in hand I believe is slightly worse off, exiting the Scottish Cup to bottom of the league Hearts in the Quarter final is FAR worse than going out to the sheep. But the issue is you’re not comparing this season to last season, you’re comparing this season to Pedro’s season because it suits your own agenda.
The only ones with an agenda is the posters that are wanting rid of Gerrard. I couldn't care less about Pedro's reign. I will state it yet again I believe Gerrard has improved us domestically. He's also improved us in Europe as our performances and results have been sensational.

I don't know where to start with folk pretending themselves there hasn't been an improvement domestically. Warburton, Pedro and Murty humiliating us in OF games is light years away from where we are.

Gerrard, like any manager, will absolutely be held to account. If he's not delivering then he'll be out and quite rightly. The fact is that he has improved us a lot. And for those saying "disregard the Euro runs". :D They wanted Euro run disregarded under Pedro but for very different reasons. How can you take out our Euro runs, they have been incredible.

If that’s the best level we are pitching at this summer we’d be as well handing them the title right now. We need winners in that team now, not prospects.
Not trying to rain on your parade, but buying proven winners is not cheap. How much do you think we have to play with.

For a start, we're going to need to pay the squad their up to date wages and that's looking increasingly likely with empty stadiums, before a ball is kicked.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but buying proven winners is not cheap. How much do you think we have to play with.

For a start, we're going to need to pay the squad their up to date wages and that's looking increasingly likely with empty stadiums, before a ball is kicked.
I think we will have more to play with than many outside of the big 5 leagues. We have a very loyal fanbase, most of whom will renew. I think we will likely sell a few too. We can make use of good Bosmans too.

I think we will have more to play with than many outside of the big 5 leagues. We have a very loyal fanbase, most of whom will renew. I think we will likely sell a few too. We can make use of good Bosmans too.
That's true. After watching the games from yesteryear on bbc scotland, it really stuck out that there are no leaders in the team. We definitely need a moaning faced git who gets on his teammates nerves and keeps them on their toes.

The only ones with an agenda is the posters that are wanting rid of Gerrard. I couldn't care less about Pedro's reign. I will state it yet again I believe Gerrard has improved us domestically. He's also improved us in Europe as our performances and results have been sensational.

Has he improved us domestically from last season? You say you don’t care about Pedro but you drop his name every single time you try and convince us we saw sufficient progress this season.

Christ you clearly sleep with Istanbul 2005 poster above your bed. Again, no one is saying get rid of Gerrard NOW. People are saying if there’s no trophies and another mid season collapse next season, then he should go. But another good run in Europe and January collapse will probably have you back here saying “yeah but it’s better than Pedro and Luxembourg”. Ridiculous.

I don't know where to start with folk pretending themselves there hasn't been an improvement domestically. Warburton, Pedro and Murty humiliating us in OF games is light years away from where we are.

Gerrard, like any manager, will absolutely be held to account. If he's not delivering then he'll be out and quite rightly. The fact is that he has improved us a lot. And for those saying "disregard the Euro runs". :D They wanted Euro run disregarded under Pedro but for very different reasons. How can you take out our Euro runs, they have been incredible.

Well absolutely no one is saying we haven’t progressed beyond Waburton and Pedro’s teams so you needn’t start at all mate.

Has he improved us domestically from last season? You say you don’t care about Pedro but you drop his name every single time you try and convince us we saw sufficient progress this season.

Christ you clearly sleep with Istanbul 2005 poster above your bed. Again, no one is saying get rid of Gerrard NOW. People are saying if there’s no trophies and another mid season collapse next season, then he should go. But another good run in Europe and January collapse will probably have you back here saying “yeah but it’s better than Pedro and Luxembourg”. Ridiculous.
Is that you admitting he has improved us then.

That's true. After watching the games from yesteryear on bbc scotland, it really stuck out that there are no leaders in the team. We definitely need a moaning faced git who gets on his teammates nerves and keeps them on their toes.
We lack leaders and winners. Davis has it but looks past it. McGregor has it. After that we’re struggling, apart from maybe Jack and Arfield, neither of whom have won much.

What is it we're building towards domestically?

A semi final defeat and final defeat in the League Cup, not even a semi final in the Scottish Cup. League campaigns that have both collapsed by mid February.

I see people say that we're progressing or getting close - how? What is it I'm missing here?

I'm genuinely baffled by it.
It’s because we aren’t getting pumped by celtic anymore they always mention that but seem to completely ignore the fact Aberdeen and Kilmarnock are taking points off us regularly.

It's less of an unreasonable question to ask when there is unanimity amongst the fans about the lack of quality of the man in charge. Wanting Murty removed wasn't a position dependent upon being able to name a replacement, and questioning the suitability of certain players isn't subject to the same scrutiny either.

I think the appointment of the last Rangers manager was one of the most important in the club's history and there was never a more important moment to go for a competent, experienced, safe pair of hands. The board made a populist gamble based in part on their beyond abysmal handling of the previous two years, and in terms of fan approval at least, it's paid off. Consequently any suggestion of the man to follow the internationally famous superstar Stevie G - defended by some in this thread on account of his name, remember - will be treated with almost immediate disdain and disappointment. It's a non-starter, especially when your footballing knowledge about prospective managers doesn't stretch that far.

This is slightly tangential, but I think one of the biggest disappointment of his run so far is the lack of development made by players in the team, so I find your last comment about improving individual players difficult to understand. I think Gerrard would agree to some extent, since the team he played against Hearts in the cup had only two players in it that were at the club before he joined: Tav, who it'd be difficult to say had really truly developed, and Jack, who, to be fair, probably has to some extent. Morelos' two half seasons could probably see him considered as well, but it's not a great return when you consider the stagnation or departure of dozens of players.

Murty and Caixinha were that poor there was little question of them being removed. Gerrard's performance is far superior so naturally there is a question mark.

The Board made the choice to delay and then appoint Gerrard presumably on the basis there was insufficient candidates of quality - at least, the "competent, experienced, safe pair of hands" you were asking for. McInnes was a pragmatic choice based on that criteria.

Individuals have improved. It's the reason we've had consecutive runs into Europe - Morelos being a prime example along with Jack, as you say. Players of limited ability have been to perform to a higher level under direction and tactics.

The departure of players is due to the ridiculous contracts handed to average players by previous managers. The development of the squad has been hindered by that.

SG will know himself now he’s under major pressure to stop the mentally challengeds getting 10 next season. It will depend on budget he has and what personnel are brought in, and who stays etc.
I will wait and see how we look come after the transfer window to comment on how I think we will be the coming season.
One thing we cant Rip it up and start again before the season starts.

It's actually quite frustrating to see an old thread from April 2019, and see almost exactly the same comments being made.

I thoroughly recommend having a read through it.
Just keep away from the razor blades afterwards.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/another-massive-building-job-for-next-season.71007/
Essentially says in several places that we needed 3 or 4 quality players to upgrade the first team, and correctly named the positions we needed to fill. Aside from the signing of Helander, we probably failed on both counts.

I see people say that we're progressing or getting close - how? What is it I'm missing here?

Our bank balance is better after our EL run and that's about it. Some people are forgetting that we're in this game for one thing - winning silverware. Gaffer needs to bring home at least one trophy and mount a title race next season. Ten points behind the league leaders next spring and he's out. Simple as that.

Again not improved enough domestically, does that mean then that he has improved us but you want rid of him.
My English team is Liverpool, and I loved Stevie as a player, but to me the new season should be his last one if he doesn’t deliver the title.

My English team is Liverpool, and I loved Stevie as a player, but to me the new season should be his last one if he doesn’t deliver the title.
We've improved massively under Gerrard and we're heading in the right direction and I've a feeling Gerrard will be with us for a good while yet. The negative posters on here beggar belief at times regarding Gerrard we won at the piggery for the first time in a decade, we beat them at Ibrox after suffering regular hammerings from them, we've qualified for the group stages of Europa league 2 years running andwe embarked on a long unbeaten run in Europe but according to some he doesn't know how to change it and is out his depth.

This is a depressing thread to say the least. As I've said this 10 thing is going to drag us down.

Why the need to heap pressure on the manager and players at this time? Getting behind the team would be a great place to start, but going by what I'm reading in here, it looks like 10 is going to do us more harm than them. Every game that isn't going smoothly of which there will be plenty will have the fans on the players backs from the first game of the season.

The fact that I've read posts saying that we shouldn't bother with europe and focus on stopping 10 is an insight into the minds that can't seem to accept that them as a club are in a much stronger position than we are and will be for the forseable future.

I know one thing, they wont dominate forever, because that's how football works and always has.

We've improved massively under Gerrard and we're heading in the right direction and I've a feeling Gerrard will be with us for a good while yet. The negative posters on here beggar belief at times regarding Gerrard we won at the piggery for the first time in a decade, we beat them at Ibrox after suffering regular hammerings from them, we've qualified for the group stages of Europa league 2 years running andwe embarked on a long unbeaten run in Europe but according to some he doesn't know how to change it and is out his depth.

Your post just shows me how low the bar sits for some fans.

0 trophies for 6.

2 collapses out of 2.

Football is an expensive game and when we returned to the league we had nothing. We have been rebuilding a squad that includes international quality. We came up we had nothing like that and there was people expecting some real hardcore title challenges. We were asking a team built mostly from lower league England to challenge for a title against a team (By far not the greatest squad the scum have had) full of internationals. All the while trying to get our revenue back for our merchandise etc and trying to get a level playing field with they bastards pocketing CL money.

The instant improvement to not only the team but also the football and players when he came in. He improved that at the start of this season and theres not a man on this forum that didnt believe we had returned as serious contenders. Even the scum for once in how long can we all remember had nothing to say. They sat in silent fear over that Christmas period, totally terrified.

After break form????? Jeezus, we all still dont know what happened and think many of us still rack our brains about it even now. I know it still runs through my mind how we looked like we went back 2 years in ability.

But to get to my overall opinion on Gerrard right now. I fully expect him to crack on and improve us enough to take them all the way this time. In the 2 seasons he has had albeit without a trophy, We can surely all agree that the team is maybe 1 or 2 pieces of quality away from a title worthy first team squad. He took an incredibly hard job on for a first job and he has had to learn quicker than most. It is his runs in Europe that has provided the money for us to catch back up.

He doesnt get an easy ride for nothing, I think if most of you sit back and put passion to side for a second then you might see he is getting there....we are getting there. We are a good transfer window away i believe and i believe in him to take us to it.

Murty and Caixinha were that poor there was little question of them being removed. Gerrard's performance is far superior so naturally there is a question mark.

The Board made the choice to delay and then appoint Gerrard presumably on the basis there was insufficient candidates of quality - at least, the "competent, experienced, safe pair of hands" you were asking for. McInnes was a pragmatic choice based on that criteria.

Individuals have improved. It's the reason we've had consecutive runs into Europe - Morelos being a prime example along with Jack, as you say. Players of limited ability have been to perform to a higher level under direction and tactics.

The departure of players is due to the ridiculous contracts handed to average players by previous managers. The development of the squad has been hindered by that.

The question wasn't over their removal but over their replacement. There was unanimity over the need to have Warburton, Pedro and Murty leave but a clear lack of unanimity, bordering on ignorance, about who should replace them. That doesn't negate that opinion.

The board's managerial record since 2017 has been nothing but farcical: Warburton's messy departure; appointing Mark Allen after we had a manager in place; the appointment of Pedro - the most baffling signing, player or otherwise, in Rangers' history; the appointment of Murty; the unimaginative and expected pursuit of McInnes; McInnes' ultimate rejection; the subsequent extension of Murty's contract; the termination of Murty's contract; and the short-term appointment of Jimmy Nicholl, whose last job was at Cowdenbeath.

Call all of this what you want - naivety, cluelessness, ignorance, inexperience - but it deeply calls into question the quality, rigour and care exacted by the board in their managerial searches and invalidates the idea that there was so many "insufficient candidates of quality" that their only recourse was to appoint a youth team coach. Put simply, I wouldn't trust them in the hunt for a manager.

Again, I really don't think anyone in the team has sufficiently improved under Gerrard's direction, and it's interested that you've limited your examples to the ones I gave, spoken more generally about the team, and referred to Europe, which represents a fraction of our season. I think you'd struggle to find support in the idea that Gerrard has raised the games of Tav, Edmundson, Katic, Goldson, Polster, Flanagan, Davis, Ojo, Kent, Halliday, Aribo, Kamara, Barker, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Hastie, McPake, and that's before we get onto guys he didn't think were good enough at all. It's been as massive disappointment in that area, and the lack of serious transfer bids for our players, and another abortive season, testifies to that. Surely if these guys were coming on leaps and bounds we'd do better in the league, not collapsing at the same point in January again and getting knocked out of the cup to a team bottom of the league?

Back