Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

That the night we had a perfectly good goal ruled out for nothing that would have won us the game yeah? Sadly Gerrard can't be blamed for Katic going for a header he was never going to win and not for the first time this season either which led to the 2nd goal.
[/QUOTE
I was at the game and I'm sure it was the same for everyone watching on tv that we all knew we had to make a change and he never.
You could see they were going to score for what seemed like an age. Now individual errors and refs being Scottish refs played their part but so did the management teams unwillingness or being unable to change a game be that through a tactical change or subs.
This has been a common theme through his management career so far and is very much a weakness.

I haven't read through the rest of the thread but there is absolutely no need to be putting more pressure on any of our players and staff for next season. They are already under an incredible amount of pressure and these sorts of comments don't help.

They’ve already proven they can’t handle the current level of pressure so I dread to think how bad it would be were that to be further increased. That’s the main reason we need new faces in the team.

I doubt in the year they will be going for 10 in a row anyone thinks any individual at the club will be allowed a honeymoon.

It’s a huge year for everyone involved with Rangers and the manager is no different.
Short memories!! You are correct about the Hamilton atmosphere. A home Premiership defeat to Accies after a Scottish Cup exit to Hearts was completely unacceptable and Gerrard was on the brink, according to many posters on here.

The answer has to be get rid of Gerrard and bring in the new messiah who's gonna waltz in and do what? Attract better players? Improve the players we have? Enhance the standing of the club? Bring in rich investors?

I haven't read through the rest of the thread but there is absolutely no need to be putting more pressure on any of our players and staff for next season. They are already under an incredible amount of pressure and these sorts of comments don't help.
Kent pointed out the obvious, the shirt is too heavy for too many of our team.
I suspect a few of them will be engineering an exiting to avoid the reaction to a trophy less next season.
If they think the supporters reaction is harsh this season they ain't seen nuffin' yet.
Next season I think 'patience' will be short if success is not on the horizon.

The answer has to be get rid of Gerrard and bring in the new messiah who's gonna waltz in and do what? Attract better players? Improve the players we have? Enhance the standing of the club? Bring in rich investors?

In fairness, Gerrard hasnt shown that he can get more from the current squad. The collapses we've seen don't exactly bode well on that front.

Short memories!! You are correct about the Hamilton atmosphere. A home Premiership defeat to Accies after a Scottish Cup exit to Hearts was completely unacceptable and Gerrard was on the brink, according to many posters on here.

That was the nadir and it had been getting progressively worse before then.

Going into a home game against Hamilton and fearing that a defeat was a distinct possibility?

The lockdown came at a very good time for him in many ways.

Had he lost at home to the Yahoos I think many would have given up on him.

The tims hate the fact that Gerrard is here. Their pals in the media tred carefully with him as they know he has friends in high places in football outside Scotland.

As for being a winner. He pulled Liverpool back from 3 0 down at half time in a CL final. One example of his drive and determination.

To be honest I cant be bothered arguing about it. Lets get McInnes.

They literally got the hashtag #gerrardmuststay trending last season.

All they care about is winning "10". They believe that Gerrard being here gives them a greater chance of that.

As for your winner stuff, it's just embarrassing.

Gerrard’s bringing in rich investors now?!

We had a thread yesterday crediting him with getting rid of Ashley.

Not being funny, but this stuff star-struck fan boy pish from grown men is embarrassing.

So who's your choioce to replace him?

If we replace him then we advertise, interview the candidates and appoint the one we think will be the best fit for the job. Choice doesnt come in to it. It depends on who we can afford and who is interested.

But if the only reason we're keeping Gerrard is because we don't know who would replace him then thats no glowing endorsement of Steven Gerrard.

Gerrard’s bringing in rich investors now?!

We had a thread yesterday crediting him with getting rid of Ashley.

Not being funny, but this stuff star-struck fan boy pish from grown men is embarrassing.
Alright worldly grown man, who is your non-embarassing replacement for Gerrard?

That’s not what I’ve seen, they’ve been laughing their arse off at 0/6. McCoist was a winner as a player too by the way. And the last line is vintage fanboy stuff. Where did this nonsense idea come from that if it’s not Gerrard it has to be McInnes?

There’s a whole plethora of managers in world football and we’re not limited to the SPL.
Yet more negativity against Gerrard, here's hoping he changes that stat next season and gets 3/9. I know you thrive on the negativity but we as fans have a huge part to play and start getting a positive vibe about the place.

I posted yesterday that people have been going on about giving mangers time since I started following Rangers (41 years old). No one can claim he's not been given time as he's been given more time than anyone I can think of without winning trophies.
There is no middle ground from now on imo no aye but what about this? Or that? He either delivers what we all crave or it's curtains that's the be all and end all of it.
Posters on here saying otherwise aren't living in the real world.

Have to disagree, there has been progress every year he's been in charge, we were cheated out of winning our first trophy this year thanks to cheating Clancy and we still had a slim chance of winning the league this year, he will now know what he's up against in terms of decisions that don't even out over a season and he will now know the certain type of player that is required in Scotland, when he gets it right and he's not far away, we will dominate this league again, it'll be a bad move to get rid of Gerrard he is a born winner like Souness.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.

I have to agree.

Yes we have came far under his stewardship but if he can't get the title next season, then it's "games a bogey".

I really want him to win us the league title next year, not only for us but for himself too.

So who's your choioce to replace him?

I always love that retort.

Firstly because it implies that there is no one better in the whole of world football who would be interested for a similar wage packet and transfer kitty, and secondly because it’s not the job of the support to offer up ideas for the board.

They’re paid to ensure there’s an effective progression planning strategy in place and we’ve been told several times by both King and Robertson that there is.

We should be confident therefore that they’ve already given consideration to who they might approach as a replacement. If they haven’t, then they’re not doing their job properly.

"Worldly grown man" isnt exactly an adult reply that encourages reasonable discussion.

Firstly because it implies that there is no one better in the whole of world football who would be interested for a similar wage packet and transfer kitty, and secondly because it’s not the job of the support to offer up ideas for the board.

They’re paid to ensure there’s an effective progression planning strategy in place and we’ve been told several times by both King and Robertson that there is.

We should be confident therefore that they’ve already given consideration to who they might approach as a replacement. If they haven’t, then they’re not doing their job properly.
NFI would've sufficed.

Posters like you sicken me. Ive supported Rangers for nearly 60 years and followed them far and near but Im getting close to giving up. Ive got nothing in common with you and it makes me feel like its time for a re think.

That was a stage too far against you mate.

If that constitutes abuse I'd wonder about the credibilty of the plaintiff.
You may think its not abuse but to call people with a different opinion devoid of a sense of reality and talking pish just isnt very nice.
I guess you already know that though and I doubt thats the way you talk in everday conversations, instead you have chosen to piggy back on the tone of other posters in this thread. Either way lets move on

Have had concerns on SG team selection on numerous occasions this season,the teams collapse after beating the scum is baffling to say the least.He must deliver the title simple as that, 10 would be unthinkable

Got to give him time, especially if we make progress again. He's done a good job overall, we look like a proper team again.

You may think its not abuse but to call people with a different opinion devoid of a sense of reality and talking pish just isnt very nice.
I guess you already know that though and I doubt thats the way you talk in everday conversations, instead you have chosen to piggy back on the tone of other posters in this thread. Either way lets move on
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Yet more negativity against Gerrard, here's hoping he changes that stat next season and gets 3/9. I know you thrive on the negativity but we as fans have a huge part to play and start getting a positive vibe about the place.

And there it is, the token retort. Let’s not argue any of the points I ever make, just trot out the lazy and unwarranted “you thrive on negativity” bollocks. Although it’s to be expected from a boy who’s primary interest is in keeping Gerrard, and not filling the club’s trophy cabinet, the boy who’ll happily grant him a 4th shot at it if it goes tits up for a third time on a row. Of course it’s more negativity. 1 domestic final out of 4, two capitulations in January, papped out of the Scottish cup by the worst side in the league - were you expecting me to radiate positivity?

For what it’s worth I hope be proves me wrong too. About as much as I hope some of you snap out of your school girl crush and learn to look at the situation with a bit of objectivity and realism.

Where do you get that from? Not one celtic fan ive spoken to or interacted with online fears gerrard. In fact its the polar opposite. They think he's a joke and are delighted we have a rookie manager.

They think Gerrard's a "joke" - they're ignoring their defeats, our Euro run and domestic progression?

I try to avoid talking football with a tim and there's yet another reason. No reasonable analysis.

Unless he develops a plan B, can organise the team to see a game out, and takes the blinkers off for his favourites, he won't be here this time next year. At least, he shouldn't be.

That retort, and “you thrive on the negativity” are more or less the only (lame duck) responses you get. If these threads prove anything, it’s that a lot of people don’t want the results and domestic performances analysed, and breaking down domestic results and performances is in fact kryptonite to a lot of folks here who believe that it’s either Steven Gerrard or Derek McInnes. Obviously it’s a waste of time trying to discuss it so I think I’ll patch the subject matter until we get going again.

I really like Gerrard. He has improved us beyond doubt, given us respect in Europe and made us competitive domestically. Plus he just carries himself like a Rangers manager.

But a 3rd trophyless season means he would be gone. In fact, even 1 trophy but another distant second in the league and he's gone.

That's the reality of the job he has.

Who's been negative to him so far?He's had the easiest ride in my lifetime for a manger that's not won anything coming up 2 years in the job.I think it's now deliver time or leave.
Did you sleep through the entire 2012-2017 period?

That's the only reasonable explanation for this comparison of Gerrard's situation to RFC managers of 'modern times'.

Alright worldly grown man, who is your non-embarassing replacement for Gerrard?

is it 2012 again ?

the same arguments for keeping the manager were made on here for McCoist , warburton and Pedro when it was clear they had outstayed their welcome .

0/6 trophies against Neil Lennon is absolutely terrible . He needs to correct that next season or can pressure will see the board remove him .

And there it is, the token retort. Let’s not argue any of the points I ever make, just trot out the lazy and unwarranted “you thrive on negativity” bollocks. Although it’s to be expected from a boy who’s primary interest is in keeping Gerrard, and not filling the club’s trophy cabinet, the boy who’ll happily grant him a 4th shot at it if it goes tits up for a third time on a row. Of course it’s more negativity. 1 domestic final out of 4, two capitulations in January, papped out of the Scottish cup by the worst side in the league - were you expecting me to radiate positivity?

For what it’s worth I hope be proves me wrong too. About as much as I hope some of you snap out of your school girl crush and learn to look at the situation with a bit of objectivity and realism.
Your posts are generally always negative. We have a huge season ahead and negativity is not going to help anyone. I make no apologies whatsoever for supporting our manager as I firmly believe he will get it right and go on to have a successful career in management. I also believe continually ripping it up and starting again does not give the club any stability and could be very detrimental financially.

Your posts are generally always negative. We have a huge season ahead and negativity is not going to help anyone. I make no apologies whatsoever for supporting our manager as I firmly believe he will get it right and go on to have a successful career in management. I also believe continually ripping it up and starting again does not give the club any stability and could be very detrimental financially.

The stuff he's pointing out isn't negative though it's just what happened?

is it 2012 again ?

the same arguments for keeping the manager were made on here for McCoist , warburton and Pedro when it was clear they had outstayed their welcome .

0/6 trophies against Neil Lennon is absolutely terrible . He needs to correct that next season or can pressure will see the board remove him .

Rodgers won the first 2, given the lead they had when he left.

They think Gerrard's a "joke" - they're ignoring their defeats, our Euro run and domestic progression?

I try to avoid talking football with a tim and there's yet another reason. No reasonable analysis.

9 point gap at the end of last season.
13 point gap - we'll call it 10 to be generous due to the game in hand when this season was called.

Domestic progress?

13 point gap - we'll call it 10 to be generous due to the game in hand when this season was called.

Domestic progress?

Yes. Our points tally improved, a Cup Final and a win at Parkhead. Of course it's not enough but it's a progression. There's little we can do if Celtic win all their games except against us.

The point of my post was that Gerrard is not a "joke". It's nonsense.

is it 2012 again ?

I'm still waiting for one of you geniuses to tell me who is going to replace Gerrard, how the replacement is going to be better, how sacking Gerrard improves the squad, the standing of the club, the ability of the club to attract good players given the financial restrictions. Name someone as a viable alternative.

Domestic progress?

9/10 points is progress.

The issue is some are actually happy with that!

We're not getting pumped anymore so it's all good for a lot on here.

Did you sleep through the entire 2012-2017 period?

That's the only reasonable explanation for this comparison of Gerrard's situation to RFC managers of 'modern times'.
How long are people using the last decade as an excuse? Dave King stepped down because in his words the club are back to normality.If you're comparing him to 2012 -17 he's had vastly more money to spend on transfers and wages with ultimately the same end results.No major honours.

That’s because I’m a realist and bar two great runs in Europe, we’ve had nothing to be positive about, before the pandemic hit the scum were well on their way to a second treble under Gerrard’s watch. Happy clapping will not improve the quality of the players or management nor will it put points on the board or trophies in the cabinet. I get that you want to be supportive of the team, that’s great, and of course be vocally supportive in the stadium etc, but honestly, they’re not reading this forum so you can be as honest as you like on here. There’s no need for sugar coating two crap domestic years.

To finish all I’ll say is at the end of it, I hope you’re right and I’m wrong and on here at the end of next season apologising to the gaffer for casting doubt.

I'm still waiting for one of you geniuses to tell me who is going to replace Gerrard, how the replacement is going to be better, how sacking Gerrard improves the squad, the standing of the club, the ability of the club to attract good players given the financial restrictions. Name someone as a viable alternative.

Nobody knows who is available at present, what they’re current contract situations are, what the club’s budget is or what the future holds, and ultimately none of us will make that decision, so it’s an utterly pointless question and cheap deflection from the crux of the matter. It’s also absurd to suggest that in a global sport there aren’t other managers out there that are perhaps more qualified than a rookie manager whose only previous experience was coaching under 18’s. But then there are people who are being paid handsomely to seek out these candidates for us.

“The ability of the club to attract good players with financial restrictions”. You say that like we’ve brought in superstar players at bargain basement prices, when did this happen? Last I checked we were still heavily reliant on one player, a player who was signed by the previous manager, and the player generally deemed to be our second best outfield performer was signed by the manager before that. By the time this is done you’ll be crediting Gerrard with coming up with a vaccine for COVID-19.

Kilmarnock were all over us for the majority of the second half.. we couldnt keep hold of the ball.

We had Davis on the bench.. substitutions dont get any more obvious than that.

Everyone in the stands knew what was coming.

If he was proactive and changed personel or shape before hand maybe we wouldnt have needed that Morelos goal to win the game??

We made our first substitution on 80 odd minutes after they equalised.

It was borderline negligence from Gerrard.

No Rangers fan, no matter how much they back Gerrard, can have watched that game and been happy with the managers performance that night.

Also worth noting that when Killie scored to make it 2-1 Gerrrad walked to the bench and sat on his arse until the final whistle.

He gave up before the game was done.

I am not denying we were awful that night as we were but we were absolutely done by Beaton that night as well as individual errors costing us big time. The errors and not being ruthless enough is what killed us after the winter break as well so it doesn't just fall on Gerrard.

I am not defending his use of subs either it's one of his weak spots that he has to improve on as a manager even a blind man could tell you that.

Back