Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

Ferguson wasn't unproven. Gerrard is. There seems to be an assumption that Gerrard will become a great manager if he's just given time and a bit more money. There was a track record with Ferguson and proven success elsewhere. Gerrard is an absolute punt. He's a gamble with no form other than with Rangers.

mate I get the experience and being proven but I still maintain if you interview a guy and genuinely believe he has the right credentials you have to stick with them. I don’t want us to be like Leeds Utd for example and constantly change managers when it’s not going right.

we are not in a position where we can buy a winning team like we did when Advocaat came in, we are not quite in the position where Walter was with a mature team that he could just add quality too every year.

I will point out again thus is the first season we are a normal club again with our focus being football related again and not off field problems with merchandise or unscrupulous shareholders.

maybe it just goes back to instinct and preference on Gerrard, personally I think he has the makings of a very good manager and the club gave given him the back room tools to achieve that, we have let ourselves down on the pitch at times and I’d put that down to the standard of player we had open to us. We gave improved but we need that wee bit more quality in the spine of our team in guys at the prime of their careers not raw talent or older pros who will shine now and again.

He's the best man to put us back on top. I cant think of anyone better.

He's a winner with drive and determination. He's played at the highest level and he's built a good solid foundation from ground zero two years ago. The tims fear him and if we can get ahead I think they'll panic as many of them dont rate TLB.

He’s a winner and the tims fear him?

I certainly am a big fan of Gerrard but I cannot for the life of me see any basis for any of those two claims.

Do you remember when the news of him having negotiations with us first broke? Before that we’d all sat here talking about the next appointment for months, and pretty much the entire forum unanimously agreed that it had to be someone with experience. Then Gerrard’s name was dropped and all that stuff about experience being the key requirement went right out the window as everyone turned into wee lassies on the Gerrard express.

I think that sort of thing tells you that his stature and name do mean a bit too much to some fans. The way some have spoken about him at times it’s like they believe we’re ever so fortunate to have him at our little club, as opposed to him being fortunate to get to manage this big club as his first gig. Plus there’s the crazy gymnastics folk do to blame anyone but the Gerrard at times; they always say the buck stops with the manager but the gaffer seems to be an exception, so instead it becomes an issue of the players (whom he signed of course) and you even see ludicrous suggestions like getting rid of McAllister. On top of that you had folk attributing any successful signing to Gerrard and any failed signing to Mark Allen without even knowing who was responsible for what deals. I didn’t really see this level of denial or protection for PLG or even Walter when everyone kicked up the “ah time to go walter, it just hasn’t worked out in the second stint” after we lost to the scum in the new year game in 2009; so it sort of suggests that Gerrard probably gets it because he’s a superstar name and people love that aspect of his reign.

The defensive reactions you get to threads like this can be a nightmare too and are also indicative of him getting extra protection for who he is. So instead of anyone actually telling us why we should turn a blind eye to 2 seasons worth of repeated mistakes and 2 huge collapses at the same stage each time, all you generally get is “ahhh you just want him to fail don’t you, you’re revelling in it” and all that absolute drivel. Realistically, he fully deserves another shot, but I’ll bet if we crumble the same way a third time you’ll still have the same folk wanting Gerrard kept on, with everyone else replaced instead. I’ve already had a discussion with one bloke on here who has already confirmed he should get a 4th bite at the cherry should we go trophy-less next season too. Mental.
I think I've spoken to you about this before.

A high profiled individual as the manager coinciding with Rangers no longer being expected to win things probably looks like too much of a coincidence for folk that think he's getting away with it because of who he is - I totally get that, I just don't agree with it.

The players aren't expected to win anymore, they don't win anymore, folk don't get annoyed at them not winning anymore.

He’s a winner and the tims fear him?

I certainly am a big fan of Gerrard but I cannot for the life of me see any basis for any of those two claims.

The tims hate the fact that Gerrard is here. Their pals in the media tred carefully with him as they know he has friends in high places in football outside Scotland.

As for being a winner. He pulled Liverpool back from 3 0 down at half time in a CL final. One example of his drive and determination.

To be honest I cant be bothered arguing about it. Lets get McInnes.

He needs to sign a captain like himself in his playing days , someone who when the chips are down can drag the team through with grit, determination and a will to win

The tims hate the fact that Gerrard is here. Their pals in the media tred carefully with him as they know he has friends in high places in football outside Scotland.

As for being a winner. He pulled Liverpool back from 3 0 down at half time in a CL final. One example of his drive and determination.

That’s not what I’ve seen, they’ve been laughing their arse off at 0/6. McCoist was a winner as a player too by the way. And the last line is vintage fanboy stuff. Where did this nonsense idea come from that if it’s not Gerrard it has to be McInnes?

There’s a whole plethora of managers in world football and we’re not limited to the SPL.

Last edited:

We're not dating him. He's here to be our manager and he failed domestically.

Honestly I don’t know one tim who hates that’s Gerrard is here.

Being a winner as a player counts for nothing sadly. We can push that as much as we want, but it quite literally means nothing.

mate I get the experience and being proven but I still maintain if you interview a guy and genuinely believe he has the right credentials you have to stick with them. I don’t want us to be like Leeds Utd for example and constantly change managers when it’s not going right.

we are not in a position where we can buy a winning team like we did when Advocaat came in, we are not quite in the position where Walter was with a mature team that he could just add quality too every year.

I will point out again thus is the first season we are a normal club again with our focus being football related again and not off field problems with merchandise or unscrupulous shareholders.

maybe it just goes back to instinct and preference on Gerrard, personally I think he has the makings of a very good manager and the club gave given him the back room tools to achieve that, we have let ourselves down on the pitch at times and I’d put that down to the standard of player we had open to us. We gave improved but we need that wee bit more quality in the spine of our team in guys at the prime of their careers not raw talent or older pros who will shine now and again.

Boards get appointments wrong. You can try to limit that by appointing a manager with as strong a track record as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Paul Le Guen had a fantastic CV but was a flop with us - some of it due to failings on his part and some due to Martin Bain's incompetence, a lack of money and players who downed tools. Sometimes you get really lucky. Alex McLeish performed way above expectation.

If Gerrard is the right appointment and worth sticking with then he needs to show it because he has absolutely no previous form for the board to base their faith on. He either shows that he's learning and improving or he gives the board a difficult decision to make.

That’s not what I’ve seen, they’ve been laughing their arse off at 0/6. McCoist was a winner as a player too by the way. And the last line is vintage fanboy stuff. Where did this nonsense idea come from that if it’s not Gerrard it has to be McInnes?

There’s a whole plethora of managers in world football and we’re not limited to the SPL.

More "nonsense" from me. Sorry about that.

Get Gerrard tae %^*& then and bring in someone from the "plethora" of managers out there. Sounds good to me but then I talk "nonsense".

More "nonsense" from me. Sorry about that.

Get Gerrard tae %^*& then and bring in someone from the "plethora" of managers out there. Sounds good to me but then I talk "nonsense".

tenor.gif

Results after the winter break were

W 1-0 v St Mirren
L 2-1 v Hearts
W 2-0 v Ross Co
D 0-0 v Aberdeen
W 2-1 v Hibs
W 4-1 v Hamilton
L 2-1 v Killie
W 1-0 V Livingston
D 2-2 v St Johnstone
L 0-1 v Hamilton
W 1-0 v Ross County

Given how other teams can't get results against the filth, our draws are seen as defeats and in the games we lost we were shafted by the referee but we shouldn't complain about that :rolleyes:

The problem we have is that because the filth beat these teams easily then us drawing against them is seen as a major failuire. The diddy teams dont care if they get humiliated by the filth. St Johnstone on the opening day of the season says it all.

When the diddy clubs play us they want a result. Until we can deal with that we won't win anything.

Throw in a 1-0 cup defeat to bottom of the league Hearts to that too.

That run is scandalous, there's no dressing it up and ultimately the buck stops with the manager. With 2 weeks left of the transfer window he said: “I think if no one else goes out the door, we’ll be fine. We’ll cope and we’ll manage.."

The proof is in the pudding that they didn't manage. Whether that was down to mentality, ability or a mixture of both, is now up to the gaffer to find out and rectify.

From here on in there's no margin for error, he has to get it right.

It looks as though the club are going to show a lot more fight from now on there is no other option tbf, i think its important to have someone like Gerrard as manager speaking about the widespread corruption and most of all our main enemies the referees...

the posters that want him out have worked out the refs in Scotland are bent right ?

You’d be right. But then I think we’ve squandered money on squad players instead of promoting youth. Had we not done that we could have had more quality in the first 11.

Some of the signings under Gerrard have added little or been money overspent for fourth choices:
Edmundson, Ejaria, Ojo, Barker, Hastie, Stewart to name some.

Most of us would have said last summer we needed:
A defensive right back option
A commanding centre half
A ball winning midfielder comfortable on the ball
A creative midfielder who can shoot
A right winger of quality
A forward good in the air

We maybe brought in the centre half (Helander) though he doesn’t look like he’s amazing in the air. We maybe brought in the creative midfielder (Hagi) but not until January.

The recruitment this summer has to hit the mark. It didn’t last summer.
If reports regards Dykes and Ferguson are to be believed it’s not looking likely.

If reports regards Dykes and Ferguson are to be believed it’s not looking likely.
If that’s the best level we are pitching at this summer we’d be as well handing them the title right now. We need winners in that team now, not prospects.

You've blown your argument in the 3rd sentence
I was meaning Warburton Pedro murty they could have got second.
Tommy Wright etc could have any half competent guy could have with the squad already there plus the money Gerrard spent.

We spent months and months looking for the best we could get and chose an under 18s coach.
Then funded him to the best we could.
he then got to sign our second most expensive player in our history .
After the winter break we were in free fall we were rotten clueless even Gerrard to this day does not know why.
The filth got stronger and were increasing the gap weekly.
Gerrard needs to go if he does not produce next season

Posters like you sicken me. Ive supported Rangers for nearly 60 years and followed them far and near but Im getting close to giving up. Ive got nothing in common with you and it makes me feel like its time for a re think.

An even more baffling post than the one which preceded it. You never answered or refuted anything I said, you simply repeated everything I said in some sort of tantrum like state, presumably because you didn’t like that I challenged what you said (that’s the basic concept of Internet forums by the way, discussion and debate).

And don’t re-think or chuck anything on account of me. Stick me on ignore, that’s what I do when I can’t be arsed with other posters. If you’re talking about re-thinking your support of the club itself on account of a solitary poster on a forum challenging your statement and posting a humorous gif, then you’ve got bigger problems friend.

An even more baffling post than the one which preceded it. You never answered or refuted anything I said, you simply repeated everything I said in some sort of tantrum like state, presumably because you didn’t like that I challenged what you said (that’s the basic concept of Internet forums by the way, discussion and debate).

And don’t re-think or chuck anything on account of me. Stick me on ignore, that’s what I do when I can’t be arsed with other posters. If you’re talking about re-thinking your support of the club itself on account of a solitary poster on a forum challenging your statement and posting a humorous gif, then you’ve got bigger problems friend.

You seem to get a kick out of ridiculing everything I say. Im a "fanboy" that talks "nonsense" or a crybaby. Now Ive got "bigger problems".

To be honest its soul destroying on here at times trying to discuss anything without being subjected to responses like yours.

You seem to get a kick out of ridiculing everything I say. Im a "fanboy" that talks "nonsense" or a crybaby. Now Ive got "bigger problems".

To be honest its soul destroying on here at times trying to discuss anything without being subjected to responses like yours.

Then put me on ignore! Or alternatively accept that discussions forums aren’t really the place to be if you don’t want, or are too sensitive to have your opinion challenged. I thought what you said was nonsense, I don’t believe what the manager did as a player should have any bearing on how we view him as a manager and I also gave you Ally McCoist as a perfect example of this. Honestly mate get over it, discussion and debate, agreement and disagreement is what the place is all about.

Posters like you sicken me. Ive supported Rangers for nearly 60 years and followed them far and near but Im getting close to giving up. Ive got nothing in common with you and it makes me feel like its time for a re think.
Why stop supporting the club due to differences of opinion on a fans forum.
After 60 years you should know by now the ups and downs.
Chin up and keep believing things will eventually get better.
Once Gerrard goes lol

I’ve made my feelings on the manager very clear if the League didn’t stop he would have struggled to see out the rest of the season.

He needs to make some decent signings and learn to change things up ot he’s not going to see Christmas.

I hope he turns it around but I am just not sure he’s got it in him.

Your last sentence sums it up for me

Why stop supporting the club due to differences of opinion on a fans forum.
After 60 years you should know by now the ups and downs.
Chin up and keep believing things will eventually get better.
Once Gerrard goes lol

Im sick to the back teeth of it all. So called bluenoses slagging off everything and anything you say. Its bad enough having to fight our corner with the constant attacks by mentally challengeds and the MSM but to have to defend every opinion you post on here. Its too much. Time for me to look elsewhere. There' s %^*& all pleasure in any of it now.

A bit of context.In McCoist`s first season Naismith was injured from October and Jelavic was sold in the January window or Rangers would have won the league in McCoist`s first season,the fact is McCoist had no chance at Ibrox under the circumstances he was working under.Under Gerrard the team is clearly more than good enough the squad is clearly not and as for 0/6 it is actually 0/4 as that lot have actually "won" nothing this season on the park (a league cup win where their only shot on target was an offside goal and being awarded the league after an abandoned season)

Best leaving serial trollers alone.

Get a grip, they love the fact we have a manager that has won nothing and want it to continue. Same as we would if the shoe was on the other foot

I haven't read through the rest of the thread but there is absolutely no need to be putting more pressure on any of our players and staff for next season. They are already under an incredible amount of pressure and these sorts of comments don't help.

Lovely.

Another thread to divide the support.

We have made progress in the two season he has been here.

Next season, whenever it happens, we need a trophy.

This was a long term project.
Correct. But the usual suspects, devoid of any sense of reality chime in with the usual pish that the manager has to go.

Lovely.

Another thread to divide the support.

We have made progress in the two season he has been here.

Next season, whenever it happens, we need a trophy.

This was a long term project.

And if we don’t win a trophy, is it still a long term project?

I agree we’ve made progress, and up until the new year it felt almost deliriously so, but the subsequent collapse and inability to remedy the problems that caused it can’t be ignored.

The defeat against Hearts in the cup left him looking completely deflated and lost for answers. We then lost at home to Hamilton and it felt like the highs of the first half of the season had turned to rubble. Our European exploits aside, the failure to get us back up and running domestically was really alarming.

People talk of it being an annual problem, but the collapse this year was much worse than last and he appeared clueless as to how to fix it.

The obvious answer is to just buy better players.

I felt right from the first ball last season that we were still two or three real quality players short of where we needed to be to sustain a title challenge throughout the season and ultimately the lack of them was a big part in our implosion.

The question now though is: will he be given the funds to add that quality next season?

There’s also a sub strand of that which asks if the level of quality Gerrard is allowed to recruit is actually the level of quality we really need.

Despite similar pleas last summer the only player of genuine quality we added was Helander.

The rest were punts really, squad players for the most part, and yet the official line was that we’d added the quality we were felt to be lacking.

So, with money set to be tight once again due to the effects of the aborted season just ended, can we be certain that quality will arrive now?

If it doesn’t, I fear for his chances.

If he wins nothing next year there will be a large number of fans calling for him to go, I'd imagine.

For me, he's still building his team. With the players released yesterday and with a transfer window to come, I'm happy to see how things go. Got to stop any post Christmas slump happening again.

Aside from the activities on the pitch, got to assume the commercial progress of the club is also partly as a result of having SG in charge.

Of course it is, we are competing in a league in which Neil feckin Lennon and a fairly average Celtic side are winning several trebles on the spin, it’s preposterous to suggest no manager could come in and halt the slide and doing so would set us back years.

They maybe a fairly average side but they were at least 13 points better off than they were at the same stage last season so there wasn't much we could do about that.

If Gerrard isn't the answer then who is?

They maybe a fairly average side but they were at least 13 points better off than they were at the same stage last season so there wasn't much we could do about that.

I would suggest there was something we could have done, beat the bottom sides in the league and some of the other dross we dropped points to, this would have had us a helluva lot closer.

Our domestic form is horrendous mate.

Over 2 seasons now on average we drop points every 3 games.. that's ridiculously bad.

And the reason celtic are sweeping teams aside is because the standard of the league is as poor as it's ever been.. which only highlights our own domestic failings.

For me it's not only our form, its decisions Gerrard makes during games that are blatantly wrong.

I gave up on him at Rugby Park in Febuary.

I stood and watched a Rangers manager freeze under pressure that night.

He genunly had no idea how to regain control of that game and didnt react as Kilmarnock started to push forward and dominate.

He stood with his arms folded staring at what the rest of us were watching and didnt react to what was happening on the pitch.. we'd have been just as good with a mannequin in the dug out.

Anyway the inevitable happened and Gerrard makes his first sub around 80 minutes after we go from 1-0 up to 2-1 down.

Hes far too reactive tactically.. I want a manager who's going to spot a problem early on and sort it there and then.

I genuinly hope I'm wrong but I only see this going one way under Gerrard.

That the night we had a perfectly good goal ruled out for nothing that would have won us the game yeah? Sadly Gerrard can't be blamed for Katic going for a header he was never going to win and not for the first time this season either which led to the 2nd goal.

I would suggest there was something we could have done, beat the bottom sides in the league and some of the other dross we dropped points to, this would have had us a helluva lot closer.

Yeah if we kept winning we still wouldn't have won the league as it stands. The winter break killed all our momentum and then throw in injuries and suspensions to key players it doesn't help.

We were the masters of our down fall individuals making mistakes and players not taking chances when presented like Kent's 2 at Tynecastle for example and then a mistake from Kamara lets them back in th game. We aren't ruthless enough and thats our main problem players from midfield and wide don't chip in with enough. Compare that to the scum Forrest Christie McGregor constantly chip in with goals that win the games for them.

Kilmarnock were all over us for the majority of the second half.. we couldnt keep hold of the ball.

We had Davis on the bench.. substitutions dont get any more obvious than that.

Everyone in the stands knew what was coming.

If he was proactive and changed personel or shape before hand maybe we wouldnt have needed that Morelos goal to win the game??

We made our first substitution on 80 odd minutes after they equalised.

It was borderline negligence from Gerrard.

No Rangers fan, no matter how much they back Gerrard, can have watched that game and been happy with the managers performance that night.

Also worth noting that when Killie scored to make it 2-1 Gerrrad walked to the bench and sat on his arse until the final whistle.

He gave up before the game was done.

I haven't read through the rest of the thread but there is absolutely no need to be putting more pressure on any of our players and staff for next season. They are already under an incredible amount of pressure and these sorts of comments don't help.
If they can't handle pressure they're in the wrong place at the wrong time.Cause the pressure on them next season is going to be up there with anything any Rangers team has experienced and it won't be from threads on a discussion forum it's coming from.

Back