"Virtual SPFL season ticket" on its way from Sky

Blue Tack

Surprise surprise its from Jhackson

Neil Doncaster is still in talks with the SPFL and clubs could be allowed to stream games to supporters while they're being played behind closed doors.

Football starved fans across the country look set to be offered the chance to buy virtual season tickets - as the SPFL close in on a revolutionary new broadcast deal with satellite giants Sky.

Record Sport understands crisis talks between the league’s chief executive Neil Dungcaster and TV bosses have reached an advanced stage as they prepare to begin next season behind closed doors.

We told how, as part of the discussions, Sky could be willing to write off a potential £5.5m claw back claim for the failure to complete the 2019/20 campaign - with Doncaster attempting to negotiate a greatly reduced penalty sum of £1.5m, with payments spread over the next five years.

Now we can reveal the talks have also explored ways that Scotland’s cash strapped clubs might be able to create some sort of vital matchday revenue even although their turnstiles could remain locked for months.

It is believed Sky - who snapped up exclusive SPFL rights for the next five years in a deal worth £150m - understand the need for clubs to be able to raise extra cash as the game in this country battles to survive the financial ramifications of the COVID crisis.

And they accept that allowing matches to be live-streamed into the living rooms of fans around the country could help provide a financial lifeline.

Doncaster’s plan would allow each club to live stream matches using their own online channels to virtual season ticket holders.

One Premiership chairman told Rhecord Sport: “We are waiting for the exact details of how such an agreement would be structured but we are told more information will follow shortly as the discussions between Neil Dungcaster and Sky are at an advanced stage.

So neil how does pete and his monsters gain any advantage here?After all that is who you really look after isn’t it?One premier chairman said.Guess who that was.Did he have slanty eyes and a green tie on?

So would season ticket holders have to buy a virtual season ticket on top of their actual season ticket?

Makes sense as a lot people won't buy a season tickets to potentially only see about 10-20% of the games they've paid for.

A PPV option for non ST holders might bring in a fair amount over the season as well.

Buy a virtual season ticket? Wait a minute, I’ve already bought a season ticket.

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that you'd have to buy a virtual season ticket, simply that it could be provided to clubs to show through their own channels.

I presume it would then be down to the club and I don't think they would have the audacity to charge actual STH for a virtual STH as well. That would go down like a lead balloon.

IIRC James Bisgrove mentioned in one of his interviews how they need to provide value to ST holders should they not be able to attend in the season, and providing them a stream of the game was mentioned.

I would assume, a 'Virtual' ST,, would effectively be the same as the already paid for ST.

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that you'd have to buy a virtual season ticket, simply that it could be provided to clubs to show through their own channels.

I presume it would then be down to the club and I don't think they would have the audacity to charge actual STH for a virtual STH as well. That would go down like a lead balloon.

Agree, I said a few weeks ago that Season Tciket holders should be given a free pass for Rangers TV until such time as they are allowed back into the stadium.

Neil Doncaster is still in talks with the SPFL and clubs could be allowed to stream games to supporters while they're being played behind closed doors.

Football starved fans across the country look set to be offered the chance to buy virtual season tickets - as the SPFL close in on a revolutionary new broadcast deal with satellite giants Sky.

Record Sport understands crisis talks between the league’s chief executive Neil Dungcaster and TV bosses have reached an advanced stage as they prepare to begin next season behind closed doors.

We told how, as part of the discussions, Sky could be willing to write off a potential £5.5m claw back claim for the failure to complete the 2019/20 campaign - with Doncaster attempting to negotiate a greatly reduced penalty sum of £1.5m, with payments spread over the next five years.

Now we can reveal the talks have also explored ways that Scotland’s cash strapped clubs might be able to create some sort of vital matchday revenue even although their turnstiles could remain locked for months.

It is believed Sky - who snapped up exclusive SPFL rights for the next five years in a deal worth £150m - understand the need for clubs to be able to raise extra cash as the game in this country battles to survive the financial ramifications of the COVID crisis.

And they accept that allowing matches to be live-streamed into the living rooms of fans around the country could help provide a financial lifeline.

Doncaster’s plan would allow each club to live stream matches using their own online channels to virtual season ticket holders.

One Premiership chairman told Rhecord Sport: “We are waiting for the exact details of how such an agreement would be structured but we are told more information will follow shortly as the discussions between Neil Dungcaster and Sky are at an advanced stage.

Aye streaming sport is revolutionary :rolleyes:

The headline of the article is misleading "surprise surprise". Basically what sky are doing is waiving the UK exclusivity part of the contract to allow clubs to stream their non-televised games within the UK.

What isnt happening is sky are providing the coverage for these non-televised games. So the "on it way from sky" part of the headline is misleading. The games will be via a streaming partner, as outlined in Athletic article last week, the league were hoping to have a joined up one stream provider approach for the league, however Rangers use a different to provider to the one being "recommended".

I'm not sure how they are going to get round it or what clubs have the finance to pay the upfront costs of setting up the platforms without really knowing the level of interest of these virtual season tickets for their own clubs.

True but it's unlikely we'd hit the same number as previous seasons given the uncertainty over when you can watch games and with a lot of people losing jobs.

We may not hit last season's 46k, but I reckon we'll still get over 40k.

I understand that there will be some people who's circumstances will have changed.

However, I personally don't know anyone who won't have renewed by the end of the month and I know a few who've been on the waiting list the past couple of years who are waiting to buy one.

I think there will still be an excellent uptake.

So sky are writing of £5.5m? Not a chance.

So the spfl way of paying this £5.5m back to sky is for fans to pay them it back in terms of a virtual season ticket?

This joke of a ceo and sky are taking the piss out of fans, the worse bit is so many fans will fall for it and get doncaster out of jail.

Full article, as OP is missing a few paras at the end (not that they are particularly enlightening):

Record Sport understands crisis talks between the league’s chief executive Neil Doncaster and TV bosses have reached an advanced stage as they prepare to begin next season behind closed doors.

It is believed Sky - who snapped up exclusive SPFL rights for the next five years in a deal worth £150m - understand the need for clubs to be able to raise extra cash as the game in this country battles to survive the financial ramifications of the coronavirus crisis.

One Premiership chairman told Record Sport: “We are waiting for the exact details of how such an agreement would be structured but we are told more information will follow shortly as the discussions between Neil Doncaster and Sky are at an advanced stage.

“Clearly, there is a willingness on Sky’s side to help our clubs get through this and to protect them from the consequences of Covid-19.

“Obviously these are unprecedented times and it’s very encouraging that, as a result of Neil’s discussions, the league’s broadcasters are prepared to give clubs a helping hand.

“Everyone knows Scottish football cannot be sustained financially behind closed doors but something like this, allowing clubs to sell games to fans, would be an enormous shot in the arm at an incredibly difficult moment.”

Agree, I said a few weeks ago that Season Tciket holders should be given a free pass for Rangers TV until such time as they are allowed back into the stadium.

Has to be the case.

Supporters are already going above and beyond buying books when we might not be allowed into stadiums for a good while yet.

They'll have to arrange something for it.

So what channel would games be on?

Surely all ST holders would get free access to it

Not a chance I’m paying the club over £500 and then paying on top of that to watch our games

Surprise surprise its from Jhackson

A nothing story, anyone with a keyboard could have written that.

Provides no new info as every man and his dog knows that until fans can enter grounds in their usual numbers streaming games is the way forward.

I already have a virtual season ticket it’s called Rangers tv.i haven’t missed a domestic league games for years and nearly every cup tie as well except those replays blocked by uefa
Same here nd I will continue to I use a vpn and give the money to the club rather than go through sky or the spl so they get a cut.

About time the club gave us some clarity on what will be happening.
If games are behind closed doors will season ticket holders automatically be given this TV season ticket?
If games eventually go ahead with reduced capacity how will this be managed?
If games don’t go ahead at all will we be refunded?

The headline of the article is misleading "surprise surprise". Basically what sky are doing is waiving the UK exclusivity part of the contract to allow clubs to stream their non-televised games within the UK.

What isnt happening is sky are providing the coverage for these non-televised games. So the "on it way from sky" part of the headline is misleading. The games will be via a streaming partner, as outlined in Athletic article last week, the league were hoping to have a joined up one stream provider approach for the league, however Rangers use a different to provider to the one being "recommended".

I'm not sure how they are going to get round it or what clubs have the finance to pay the upfront costs of setting up the platforms without really knowing the level of interest of these virtual season tickets for their own clubs.

So no cost to Sky at all then but they get paid money for it.

Great deal.

We may not hit last season's 46k, but I reckon we'll still get over 40k.

I understand that there will be some people who's circumstances will have changed.

However, I personally don't know anyone who won't have renewed by the end of the month and I know a few who've been on the waiting list the past couple of years who are waiting to buy one.

I think there will still be an excellent uptake.

Over 40k would be unbelievable!

best fans in the world.

Unless it’s free for ST holders then they can shove it right up their shitepipe.

Clubs, as you would expect, want to keep as much of your ST money ss possible, giving any refund will be the last thing on their mind.

However I am sure Rangers know that a virtual ST in no way equates financially to the cost of a normal ST, probably not even worth half. Also not every ST holder would need one a virtual ST, a family or friends might only need one. This will be a massive headache as the club try to think of added value that they can offer that fans believe is worth the cost of their full ST.

Can only hope the club comes up with better ideas than the derisory £25 voucher as compensation for the 5 homes games remaining of last season.

About time the club gave us some clarity on what will be happening.
If games are behind closed doors will season ticket holders automatically be given this TV season ticket?
If games eventually go ahead with reduced capacity how will this be managed?
If games don’t go ahead at all will we be refunded?

Agreed

It’s almost like the club are dodging the issue and hoping we’ll forget about it

Clubs, as you would expect, want to keep as much of your ST money ss possible, giving any refund will be the last thing on their mind.

However I am sure Rangers know that a virtual ST in no way equates financially to the cost of a normal ST, probably not even worth half. Also not every ST holder would need one a virtual ST, a family or friends might only need one. This will be a massive headache as the club try to think of added value that they can offer that fans believe is worth the cost of their full ST.

Can only hope the club comes up with better ideas than the derisory £25 voucher as compensation for the 5 homes games remaining of last season.

Kick the can down the road and give us a proper credit on next year's as well as a virtual ST for now.

Here’s a mad idea, why don’t the club credit the following seasons season ticket cost with the amount of games we miss out on this season

I’m not interested in any vouchers for stadium tours or soccer schools

Rtv would need to up its game big time if this were to happen. I feel for those that have no other way to see us play. I had to watch all of our games on it from November to February this year as I was recovering from surgery.

The picture is awful, the main commentator is far too loud and from what I gather they have connection issues as it is.

Servers would need a hell of an upgrade to cope with all the extra traffic.

Back