Lewis Ferguson.

Arfield has played behind the striker for large periods of his Rangers career so not really a fair comparison, he's also 12 years older.

Ferguson has scored the same amount of goals as Jack, Davis and Kamara added together over the past 2 seasons.

He's not a prolific goalscoring midfielder but 11 in 82 appearances isn't bad for a 20 year old.

Tbf mate, McInnes has played Ferguson behind Cosgrove in plenty of games.

Arfield wasn't playing behind the striker at all last season and still scored 9 goals.

Tbf mate, McInnes has played Ferguson behind Cosgrove in plenty of games.

Arfield wasn't playing behind the striker at all last season and still scored 9 goals.
I seem to remember Arfield playing behind the striker for the first 2/3 months of the season.

Arfield has played behind the striker for large periods of his Rangers career so not really a fair comparison, he's also 12 years older.

To put his goals into better context, Ferguson has scored the same amount of goals as Jack, Davis and Kamara added together over the past 2 seasons.

He's not a prolific goalscoring midfielder but 11 in 82 appearances isn't bad for a 20 year old. (More goals than Barry Ferguson managed in his first 82 games)

There's also no point comparing a 20 year old to our current midfielders. Compare him to other young midfielders in the country and him and Turnball are streets ahead of anyone else.
Good post.

Scouts look at players in terms of development at their age.

He turned 18 yesterday. Compared to other players at his age he's miles ahead of anyone else.
So we have Nathan Patterson and have just signed Bassey from Leicester , are you putting Hickey ahead of them?

Having watched of our European games and even highlights of Celtic getting humped in Europe there are players out there who can play and have a bit of dig about them who we could get for less/similar money.If we go for any player in Scotland all the teams seem happier dealing with Celtic than us when it comes to cost.

So we have Nathan Patterson and have just signed Bassey from Leicester , are you putting Hickey ahead of them?

I wasn't saying we should sign him, just saying that when scouts look at young players they account for their age when evaluating their performance.

Bassey and Patterson have 1 first team appearance between them, Hickey has 33.

If scouts are looking at Scottish fullbacks, they'll be talking about Hickey.

Last edited:
I seem to remember Arfield playing behind the striker for the first 2/3 months of the season.

You're right mate, he did play a few games there early in the season, but all his goals, bar one, were from November onwards, when he was playing deeper.

I'm not knocking Ferguson btw.

I know he's obviously not in Arfield, Davis, Aribo, Jack or Kamara's class yet, but I was basically just replying to a poster who said there was goals to his game.

There hasn't been so far.

At 20 he's already played 96 games and recorded 33 goals/assists in relatively poor teams. For a player that offers the physicality and drive I think we need, that return to go with it is very good.

He's already a good player that would improve around better players and coaches. I'd be very pleased if we signed him.

Highly rated in sheepsville where standards /expectations are a world away from what would be demanded of him here. Never in this world worth a £2 mil outlay of our money at this point in time. It's a big no for me, unless that is the boy and his agent can engineer the move to be more attractive to us. Even then can't help but feel he'd better served spending another season where he is.

That's a poor benchmark though.

I still wouldn't want him. His technical level is nothing special. The whole "He gets stuck in" mindest is exactly why Scottish football has been in the doldrums for decades. That seems to be the main priority for many in this backwater. Forget about technical ability, but as long as a player gets tore in and is physical.

It’s not really though as technically we are better than any team in the league but over the last two seasons we have dropped many points against these teams. We literally need a player like Ferguson, hopefully better though who will get stuck in. Davis, Jack and Kamara don’t have that mean streak when things aren’t going for us.

Look at Lego eater has no technical ability whatsoever but he has dig, gets stuck in and gets the players round him playing.

Highly rated in sheepsville where standards /expectations are a world away from what would be demanded of him here. Never in this world worth a £2 mil outlay of our money at this point in time. It's a big no for me, unless that is the boy and his agent can engineer the move to be more attractive to us. Even then can't help but feel he'd better served spending another season where he is.

'Never in the world worth £2m' - are you sure? Twenty years ago we paid £2m for Kenny Miller.

I think Ferguson is the type of midfielder we need - drive, dig, determination, up for the battle and can play a bit too. Is he perfect? No. Can we afford perfect? No. Is Scott Brown a limited player who has been a critical cog in the other mob's team for a decade? Yes. Have we missed having a player in that mould over that period? Yes. All in my opinion, of course, but I reckon Ferguson could be that for us and I think he is, actually, worth £2m if that's what it takes to get him on board as I think he'd be around long term if he did join us.£2m is the square root of f*** all in the modern game.

I wasn't saying we should sign him, just saying that when scouts look at young players they account for their age when evaluating their performance.

Bassey and Patterson have 1 first team appearance between them, Hickey has 33.

If scouts are looking at Scottish fullbacks, they'll be talking about Hickey.
Let’s hope it’s not our scouts then.

Tap him up and sign him on a Bosman when the time is right

Exactly what we should be doing, but I think he signed a 4 or 5 yr contract last year maybe?
If he wanted to engineer a move to Rangers and was confident he could make the move, he should've included a release clause or signed a shorter contract. If his Dad and uncle were advising him, they probably never thought about it, not the brightest lads!

There are so many football snobs that turn their noses up at scottish or domestic talent completely forgetting that the softness of Tavernier, Aribo, Davis, and Kamara probably cost us the league. We need a harder edge. We need players like McCrorie, Ferguson, Dykes to win hard fought games.

Walter knew how to do it. Broadfoot, Weir, Papac, Dailly, Thompson, Ferguson, mcculloch

There are so many football snobs that turn their noses up at scottish or domestic talent completely forgetting that the softness of Tavernier, Aribo, Davis, and Kamara probably cost us the league. We need a harder edge. We need players like McCrorie, Ferguson, Dykes to win hard fought games.

Walter knew how to do it. Broadfoot, Weir, Papac, Dailly, Thompson, Ferguson, mcculloch
Yup not having Ferguson, McCrorie and Dykes is definitely stopping us. Not the fact we struggle to break teams down. Maybe sign Craig Halkett as well?

EDIT: I don’t have a problem signing Scottish players if they were a standout like McGinn, Kamara, Robertson etc but there isn’t any standouts..

Hagi was £3.5m.

£2m is peanuts for young talent that's already proven at SPFL and national U21 level.
Hagi was £3m. Was widely reported at the time that it was £1m for the next three years.

Ferguson is extremely overrated because “he can battle” which simply isn’t enough to play for Rangers. He won’t sign but if he signs then I’m confident I’d be proved right. If he did sign I’d love him to prove me wrong but I can’t see him doing that.

Sheep won’t take £2.5/3m from us.

They’re haemorrhaging cash, but no chance they’ll take that. The fans would go ballistic.

I think he’s decent. He offers something different. We lack any real bite. He’s more physical than anyone bar McCrorie currently in our midfield.

Under Gerrard, he’d improve immensely.

Saying that, he’s not the midfielder we need today to win the league. If we have £3m, this seasons CM needs to be a proven winner, a complete animal that takes us to the next level.

I don't want him but people are kidding themselves on if they think Aberdeen would sell him to us for £2m.

Even those arguing that they're rooked financially and need the money, they'd rather go into liquidation than sell us their top prospect.

Their hate for us is that deep.

It’s mad to me why you would rather some European nobody than a very good young Scottish player with already good experience in the division.

Aberdeen won't sell Ferguson for anything that we would probably be willing to pay. I've said it before but if we were signing any young Scottish midfielder from the division it would be Allan Campbell, for me he offers more than Ferguson and is out of contract next year so would be an easier deal to work.

Where are these "goals" in his game you talk about?

1 league goal last season and 4 in the previous one.

Scott Arfield gets plenty stick on here and he's scored 21 goals over the past 2 seasons.
Expecting big things once again from Captain Canada this coming season.;)

We have no physical presence in midfield which cost us at times last season.. He may, or may not be the answer, but if people think the midfield we have just now are strong enough to go again next season, need a rethink.

With respect

In the grand scheme of things 20 years ago we were in a easier position to afford the fee.
[/QUOTE]

According to an inflation website, £2m in 2000 is the equivalent of £34m in 2020.

For right now, yes. Ferguson might develop into a better player in a few years but in terms of who I would prefer for next season and who I think would make us a better team next season? Definitely McLean.

I doubt we will pay a fee for McLean, as he was on a Bosman last season before he went to Norwich if we were gonna sign him it would have been then imo.

Much better option than Ferguson for me.

Can't see any of them at Ibrox anytime soon.

I doubt we will pay a fee for McLean, as he was on a Bosman last season before he went to Norwich if we were gonna sign him it would have been then imo.

Much better option than Ferguson for me.

Can't see any of them at Ibrox anytime soon.
McLean would be a much better signing , plenty of SPFL experience coupled with that in the EPL.

The boy is decent enough - but will players the standard of Lyndon Dykes, Vaclav Hladky and Lewis Ferguson (our supposed targets) be enough to win us the league ?

I have my doubts.

The boy is decent enough - but will players the standard of Lyndon Dykes, Vaclav Hladky and Lewis Ferguson (our supposed targets) be enough to win us the league ?

I have my doubts.

I'd say we need more than one midfielder.

Davis is past his best.
Kamara may be sold?
Jack has had a few injuries and a long standing knee issue.
Arfield is squad material.
McCrorie - still unproven.
Aribo - big second season coming up for him.
Docherty isn't good enough, Polster too.

The midfield needs improved and we could be looking at three in there if we want to win a league title. I'd have not problems with Ferguson if the other two; Davis long term replacement and a bit of bite, aggression and grit is added.

With respect

In the grand scheme of things 20 years ago we were in a easier position to afford the fee.

According to an inflation website, £2m in 2000 is the equivalent of £34m in 2020.
[/QUOTE]

In relative terms I don't think that's a fair reflection of our investment at that time tbh. Although £2m was a lot of money at the time it didn't raise an eyebrow in relation to our previous dealings. Nowadays given of our financial resources, that fee is given a lot more consideration before we'd commit. That's basically my point.

In relative terms I don't think that's a fair reflection of our investment at that time tbh. Although £2m was a lot of money at the time it didn't raise an eyebrow in relation to our previous dealings. Nowadays given of our financial resources, that fee is given a lot more consideration before we'd commit. That's basically my point.
[/QUOTE]

It is a fair reflection - and a precise factual analysis of a cost/inflation comparison of 2000 and 2020.

£2m is peanuts for a very decent young player.

Ferguson fits our player profile in many ways, young, good sell on value plus he's Scottish. Can see us signing him because dolly would make it near impossible for the deal to be done

It is a fair reflection - and a precise factual analysis of a cost/inflation comparison of 2000 and 2020.

£2m is peanuts for a very decent young player.
[/QUOTE]

There you go then. We disagree.

I think you understand my point alright though.

Imo it might be peanuts in today's market but not in our current financial situation.

It depends what our summer budget is. I doubt we'd get Ferguson for less than £2M so with us having already spent £3M on Hagi, I don't think we'll have much more than another £3M to spend unless we sell.

I would prefer we spent most of our budget on an experienced midfielder to partner Jack/Davis. If we could buy that player AND Ferguson then great but I don't think we'll have money for both unless we get a big bid for Alfredo and that's debatable. An experienced midfielder should be our priority.

(I know all transfers are paid up over a number of years so spending say £6M now might only mean actually parting with £2M of it this summer but we'll also have financial commitments from previous years to pay up too)

I don't like playing against him, he gets under our players skins and annoys them. He turns up in big games and displays grit and a winning mentality. Something I feel this current team can lack at times.

I'd sign him, you don't know his standard or effectiveness until he plays with better players around him.

I have my doubts.

Dykes - we have apparently rubbished this link
Hladky - i can see us signing him as a free transfer back up to shagger.
Ferguson - good player but again i dont think we have targetted him, personally think we would need to pay 25% more than any other club to sign him because of the fan reaction/backlash and cannot see us spending upwards of £3 million on him.

Back