Club Statement

There should be a few bans handed out for some of the posts on the other thread.

Absolutely mentally challenged riddled and some disgusting comments about our club and our board.
Said this for ages, they join our forum and usually you can see through them right away with the pish they post.

I would have a joining fee for new members of £20 minimum with £10 returned after six months.

It would put a dent in their giro.

In my eyes they are still benefiting from our badge and our club......albeit it would need to take a moron to buy from SD.

I just hate that it took for the nonsense from that fat pie for the club/castore to say anything.

That shop should not be selling anything to do with our club and that's how it was told to us when the legal battle ended.
We were told we have a clean slate, we do. The only merchandising deal we have is with Castore. Any kit purchased and resold by Sports Direct will be done the same method any other retailer would, it is nothing to do with us.

We could block them selling the kit, which would minimise our kit sales and ultimately that would harm us more than them, especially if we purchase direct.

Folk can dress this up all they want but for our club to directly or indirectly be connected with Sports Direct at all is scandalous and Castore and the board have picked their words very specifically it seems.

Correct Ashley still making money off us

It would be great if you could explain this for us all. If Sports Direct buy stock they then have to sell it in order to make any money. What Rangers fans do you know that would happily shop on Sports Direct? How can they make money if our supporters won’t buy from them? I’m really looking forward to finding this out as it has the potential to be a revolutionary business approach that could make members of the forum rich.

There's still folk complaining. I genuinely think we've got supporters who want Dave King or Douglas Park to personally come to their house and show them how to wipe their arse.
Is that service exclusive tae MyGers members ?? o_O :)) and dae ah get points wae that?

Not thrilled about our tops appearing in SD but Castore aren’t going to avoid business with one of the biggest retails companies in the sector.

The statement is fine but the club could’ve been a lot more proactive about this and just told the support which would have avoided any unnecessary panic over the situation.

Honest question:

Could the club/Castore have outright refused to sell strips to Sports Direct, and would this be legal?

It seems to be a viable option according to some folk (not mine, not crazy about Sports Direct selling our stuff but not sure you can refuse to do business with a retailer from a legal standpoint and maybe not worth the hassle of more problems with them)

There should be a few bans handed out for some of the posts on the other thread.

Absolutely mentally challenged riddled and some disgusting comments about our club and our board.
Some disgusting comments about fellow supporters and members on this board of 10 plus years.....

Not you I hasten to add

It would be great if you could explain this for us all. If Sports Direct buy stock they then have to sell it in order to make any money. What Rangers fans do you know that would happily shop on Sports Direct? How can they make money if our supporters won’t buy from them? I’m really looking forward to finding this out as it has the potential to be a revolutionary business approach that could make members of the forum rich.

Older bears that aren't on social media, mums who don't like football buying tops for their children and foreigners wanting to buy tops who won't be clued in on what's going on.

There's 3 demographics off the top of my head that'll go to Sports Direct no bother.

Beyond ridiculous that they're in any way allowed to make money from selling Rangers merchandise after what happened.

Sports Direct are a billion pound company - they employ expert trolls.

When they put out material like that you know they will have had legal experts advise them on how to sail as close to the wind as possible in order to create confusion.

There’s confusion and then there’s downright idiocy, WhatsApp rumours, accusations of deceit by the board and the whole lot became a frenzy of misinformation.

As I said before there are posters on here who should be ashamed of their comments.

I’m not going to lie i am not as chilled as most seem to be by the clubs reply. It says a lot without actually saying enough for me. I can’t escape the feeling a deal has been done that the board are trying to keep quiet.

The questions I would like addressed being;

Why did sports direct have our IP on their Facebook advert? They would need permission from the club/castore to do this.

Why the word “exclusive” and while rangers statement explained the mechanics of the retail strategy it didn’t address this aspect of the SD announcement.

Like @Empire i feel uneasy overall and know we could have had a successful launch without any involvement with that toxic brand. If we take the clubs statement at face value then I feel badly let down by castore as they should know 100% the fanbase thoughts on sports Direct.

Given the toxic relationship I would have expected our club to have put up more barriers to fatso getting involved.

why would a company who wants to be "premium sportswear" have a shithouse like SD selling their stuff? It makes no sense. I fear there is more to this than what we have just been told

Where else has the retail foot print in the UK? It's not like primark are gonna take a job lot of rangers tops. I'm genuinely surprised that folk are surprised that SD will stock our kit. They more or less have the full UK sports market cornered.

I personally wouldn't give mike ashley a penny but if castore want to punt strips to casual fans in say Leeds, Plymouth, Carlisle etc then sports direct unfortunately is probably your only option.

Due to the statement confirming sports direct and castore working together, even after castore had the cheek to previously laugh off any involvement with SD, I have tonight taken the tough decision to cancel my order. This was not an easy choice but one I fell is a must

Honest question:

Could the club/Castore have outright refused to sell strips to Sports Direct, and would this be legal?

It seems to be a viable option according to some folk (not mine, not crazy about Sports Direct selling our stuff but not sure you can refuse to do business with a retailer from a legal standpoint and maybe not worth the hassle of more problems with them)
100000000%.

Castore can also stock as much gear as they want in SD, without stocking Rangers strips.

Its all very, very odd. Be daft to take it at face value.

Not good enough for me. They shouldn’t be anywhere near our strips. It still stinks if you ask me

Have to agree. That fat bastard totally and utterly did everything to f--k us over When the contract with Sports Direct was finally brought to an end, it should've been done so under the strict circumstances, that he was never in a position to profit from our club again.

It is a simple case of Castore just selling to retailers to maximise both theirs and our profits. By not purchasing from SD they'll be buying stock which we profit from and they won't be able to sell losing them money, win win in my eyes.

much as we hate it (and much as they are shit), SD are a very major U.K. retailer with significant monopoly in many places. Hopefully none of our fans, or Newcastle fans, or folk with half a brain cell will set foot in them. But that still leaves a lot of folk within the UK who do go there.

Castore’s deal with them will not be specifically about our strip. It will be about any and all other sports gear that they wish to produce. If they refused to issue stock to SD they’d be leaving themselves at a huge commercial disadvantage. So Castore will want to sell stuff (not specifically our stuff but just stuff in general) through SD. If they made a point of refusing to issue our kit to SD (or if we created a contract forcing them to make such a point) then it would make it much more complex for them to negotiate other stock deals. Much easier for them just to distribute everything.

Then Ashley can buy as many of our kits as he likes from Castore with us getting good royalties on them and Castore hopefully having a good contract punishing Ashley if he fails to sell.

And by god we make sure not a single strip is purchased from one of those cess pits by any true bear.

Exactly
They buy from Castore then both us and Castore make money from them, if no one buys them then that’s their problem and they are stuck with stock they can’t sell and will lose money, not our problem.
Unfortunately SD are one of the biggest retailers in the UK so it makes sense for us to hold our nose and sell to him as both us and Castore want the shirt everywhere.
I just hope Castore are smart enough to get the cash up front from him

Not good enough for me. They shouldn’t be anywhere near our strips. It still stinks if you ask me

I agree. If you are trying to build a high end brand, as Castore are, then the last place you want to be associated with is Sports Direct. It flies in the face of their strategy and devalues their product. Anyone paying £160 for a hoodie, doesn’t want to see it next to the Lonsdale & Donnay gear.

Something stinks here.

Not really. The way it will work is sports direct will buy, say 5000 tops. Castore will pay Rangers a cut for this sale. SD only make a profit if they sell the tops. I hope they don't sell any but, to the casual fan, guy in England etc. We need to have a presence in the High Street.
So we're still dealing indirectly with Sports Direct, who will also benefit from selling our tops (which they will, not everyone will get direct from Castore). That wasn't the narrative presented to us before the launch.

Sorry. But we’ve been bitten a hundred time’s over, no wonder half of the support are a bit shy.

something about how we managed to get out of his grasp so quietly (despite the backdrop of years of court cases) seems a little unusual to me.

I’m just waiting for a slap in the face that we have become accustomed to.
Exactly, all these panty wetter comments are out of order, have they been living in a different world over the last 7 or 8 years?
We have been stiffed by SD before, no wonder there was a reaction.

Older bears that aren't on social media, mums who don't like football buying tops for their children and foreigners wanting to buy tops who won't be clued in on what's going on.

There's 3 demographics off the top of my head that'll go to Sports Direct no bother.

Beyond ridiculous that they're in any way allowed to make money from selling Rangers merchandise after what happened.

Sorry that’s absolute drivel. You don’t have to be on social media to know the background between us and fat Mike. If you are not aware of it I’d suggest you’re not a huge fan of the club and may buy the odd jersey but that’s it. How many foreigners are we getting in Sports Direct buying up Rangers strips? I’d say a very very small number. Mums who don’t like buying strips but go to Sports Direct to buy them? People just creating ridiculous scenarios to get upset about.

Yep go ahead and raise an injunction against SD selling our strips and see what happens. Your 3 examples would also go to thestadium store, foreigners doing tours of stadium? My mother wasn’t into football but always took me to the Rangers store for the kit.

Definitely a good number of hysteria merchants and fans of the abusers on that thread but the ‘exclusivity’ claim understandably worried many genuine supporters given the history.

If the club hadn’t anticipated mischief making from SD and the resulting legitimate concerns I’m surprised. I’m very supportive in the main of this board and think our comms has gone up a notch since David Graham was hired but I would have thought we should have had a statement ready to go here.

The statement makes sense that we are in a better place with a far better deal but the exclusive part of the sports direct post still unsettles me

In my eyes sports direct are going to be the 1st store and possibly the only store to stock the new kit on the shelves come the release on August 1st

Theres no way they would post that without it being a fact

I agree. If you are trying to build a high end brand, as Castore are, then the last place you want to be associated with is Sports Direct. It flies in the face of their strategy and devalues their product. Anyone paying £160 for a hoodie, doesn’t want to see it next to the Lonsdale & Donnay gear.

Something stinks here.

A football top isnt a high end item, this is castores first real step into this kind of market place. Alienating the UK biggest sports retailer when your trying to test a market and make money isnt a smart business move.

We all hate Ashley but Castore job is to make money.

The thing that worries me and I guess a lot of people is that sports direct are selling it ‘exclusively’. It’s Like Castore have struck a deal with them. Thankfully most supporters are well drilled to buy direct.

They might mean exclusively as in the only High Street outlet who has bought Castore?

What is there 3 major sports shops on the High streets these days, DW sports, JD sports and Sports direct?

JD unlikely to stock our stuff due to the great unwashed and the other 1 maybe hasnt approached or been approached yet

Buy direct and there's no issues, Buying direct will be a lot easier with the new shop once we are back at games.

Sports Direct are a billion pound company - they employ expert trolls.

When they put out material like that you know they will have had legal experts advise them on how to sail as close to the wind as possible in order to create confusion.
It’s the timing of their announcement that stank to me. The whole world and his dog knew we where going on sale with the new kit at 9am. If sports directs goal was to create confusion why not announce it then?

announcing it at the end of the day was like a low blow to everyone who had spent their money already.

Back