Balogun or Helander as first choice?

Maybe, just maybe Gerrard will feel he has the luxury of resting Goldson. For me it's always who's doing well and if poor form comes then someone has to be given the chance.

Helander didn't put a foot wrong tonight

He's just a big, solid, no nonsense, no frills defender who's job is to defend and he does that very well.

His reading of the game and awareness is quality. That's why his lack of pace isn't an issue and how many blocks does he make per game - that would be an interesting stat to see!?

What a great problem to have.

I'm a big fan of Goldson and Helander together, but I think Sunday will be too early for Big Fil so Balogun on Sunday and maybe Helander the following Weds.

Difficult, and nice, choice. Balogun had an impeccable debut and Helender was excellent tonight after 8 months out. Goldson looking solid beside either. And Edmundson in the wings.

All that said, two or three times tonight Leverkusen played right through the middle of us which is bizarre given Goldson and Helander were our best players.

If pushed I'd guess Helander will get a rest now and Balogun will start against St Mirren. But Big Fil might be back against St Johnstone.

Is Goldson at fault the goal tonight? Having an argument with someone about this

I think more press in midfield to prevent the pass. But both the pass and the run were inch perfect. Boy got a yard on Tav and that’s all it took. That’s what world class teams like that are capable of.

No point in saying pair them as Goldson is our first choice centre half and the organiser of the defence.
2 competitive games, they have played a game each and been really impressive.

Balogun looks mobile, good on the ball, composed and a great reader of the game.
Helander is an out and out defender, gets in blocks, and has terrific game awareness.

A lovely problem to have, who would you say is the better partner for Goldson?
I think Balogun compliments Goldson better and will suit the Scottish game more. Helander reads the game very well but he gives me the fear at times, especially when he's falling all over the shop

Is Goldson at fault the goal tonight? Having an argument with someone about this

No mate Tav was too wide he could see the danger and didn’t tuck in and it cost us the goal.

Tav is the biggest worry for me he isn’t giving us that dynamic RB that he was his attacking play has dropped off hugely his crossing and dead balls are noticeably worse.

We could carry him being defensively so bad because he gave so much the other way but now we get neither it’s starting to get noticeable imo.

If I had to point figures I'd say it was Tav at fault as he let the runner get inside him and steal a couple of yards.
The goalscorer remained onside because Tav ran back then was outpaced, Tav should have moved forward not backwards. Greegs was also a little slow closing the scorer down, but they are a good side so fair result let’s look forward to hopefully and surely 55

They play 3 at the back but let the two centre backs on the left and right bomb forward to create a overload it works a treat creates havoc at times just a thought.

Got you mate.

I think Gerrard is more likely to go with 2 central defenders, get the full backs high and plenty of creativity between our striker and our flair players in behind.

No point in saying pair them as Goldson is our first choice centre half and the organiser of the defence.
2 competitive games, they have played a game each and been really impressive.

Balogun looks mobile, good on the ball, composed and a great reader of the game.
Helander is an out and out defender, gets in blocks, and has terrific game awareness.

A lovely problem to have, who would you say is the better partner for Goldson?
Balogun and Goldson for me.

My granny is quicker than Helander.

He would really suit a back 3 but not a back 4 with high full backs

I thought Helander was very good tonight especially considering how long he’s been out for. I imagine at the moment it’s Goldson and Balogun that are first choice but that could change pretty quickly.

Play all 3

then play Tav , Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Barisic in the middle
Up front the two new signings. If Roofe still injured play Kent or Hagi.

Big Helander done well tonight and good to see him back but his first game in 8 month he’ll be like the tin man tomorrow. Balogun will start on Sunday and we’ll see what happens in the coming weeks

Helander is on a different level from any of our centre half’s and I don’t mean to sound derogatory. He was half fit tonight and he still excellent. I thought Goldson was very good as well tonight.

Helander based on only seeing Balogun against a poor sheep side without their first 2 choice strikers.

Balogun will play with Helanders fitness issues I reckon. Possibly puts Edmundson out on loan in January if Katic comes back fit enough around then.

He’s also returning from a very long pay off. Makes no sense to throw him into another 90 mins less than 3 days later.
Helander is an excellent defender but should be brought back cautiously.
Fair point. He did not look out of place tonight or that he had been out for so long. Agree should be handled cautiously.

Helander I was worried about tonight but he was outstanding, He’s our best defender with our a doubt.

We will rotate a lot this season so they will all get games .
No, he has the pedigree.
He hasn’t done enough so far, for Rangers, to prove he is better than Goldson

Horses for course for me. Need a left-footed CB who can quickly release Borna? Play Helander. Need one who can bomb forward and overload the attack? Play Balogan. Need one with a good passing range? Play Edmundson

Great strength!
Balogun for Sunday but purely that was Helander's first start in 8 month. Gaffer will need to take Anadin, hopefully we have the same headache with our front 4 choices now

I would play all three which would then allow our wing backs to press up even higher and it would mean we would could play with only one holding midfielde. 2 number 10a and two strikers.

Back