Watching RangersTV on a smart TV

EagleThursday

First of all I’d like to apologise as this subject has probably been covered already. If there is already a big thread on it I’d appreciate if someone could point me in that direction. If not then here goes...

I’ve saw the past few weeks that the best place to watch RangersTV on the virtual season ticket is through Chrome. I watched a bit of one of the games the other week using this on my phone. I don’t mind doing that if I’m just in alone but tomorrow my dad is coming round to watch it so the phones not an option. I’m just wondering what my best options are to get it through the tv? I tried to get chrome this morning and failed and I tried to go through RangersTV on the browser but it doesn’t seem to be great. My TV is also a Phillips if that makes any difference.

Any help would be wonderful. Trying to get it sorted today so I’ve not got a mad panic tomorrow and we both end up just watching it on our phones.

I've tested both casting to smart TV and using TV browser both successfully worked. LG tv and Samsung a51.

Last edited:
The inbuilt browsers on SmartTV are very poor. Some work alright, some work poorly and some don't work at all. I certainly wouldn't recommend using one.

If you have a laptop by far the easiest, and best, means is to hook it up to the tv with an HDMI cable. Similarly, adapters are available for most make of phones that will allow you to to similar.

Then there is casting from the phone to the tv. Not my area but you might find some useful info in this thread:

The inbuilt browsers on SmartTV are very poor. Some work alright, some work poorly and some don't work at all. I certainly wouldn't recommend using one.

If you have a laptop by far the easiest, and best, means is to hook it up to the tv with an HDMI cable. Similarly, adapters are available for most make of phones that will allow you to to similar.

Then there is casting from the phone to the tv. Not my area but you might find some useful info in this thread:

It’s looking like a laptop and HDMI are going to be my best bet. I’ll have a look at that thread though and see if I can get anything from it.

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone.

It’s looking like a laptop and HDMI are going to be my best bet. I’ll have a look at that thread though and see if I can get anything from it.

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone.

Quite honestly, laptop/HDMI is going to give you, by a country mile, the best user experience in any case. Messy, perhaps, but very, very effective.

Try it out well before kick-off though. Just in case. :)

I watch on iPad Pro on chrome,can I cast it to my smart tv

Pretty sure you need AppleTV, an AirPlay compliant TV or something like a Chromecast device to do that mate. Even then, I've seen reports of issues with AppleTV (though that may now be resolved).

Thought we had a new RTV app?

Couldnt this be downloaded to smart tv?

If not whats the best way to watch on an amazon fire stick?

Thought we had a new RTV app?

Couldnt this be downloaded to smart tv?

If not whats the best way to watch on an amazon fire stick?

App not available on SmartTVs I don't think. Seems to work fine using Silk browser on the Firestick. If you have problems try Edge or Chrome browsers (they are virtually identical under the hood).

RTV works fine on my LG smart tv. I can also screen share from my laptop to it - no need for an HDMI cable. I can't log in to the new VST site via the tv though. I have to screenshare from laptop for that.

App not available on SmartTVs I don't think. Seems to work fine using Silk browser on the Firestick. If you have problems try Edge or Chrome browsers (they are virtually identical under the hood).

So just navigate to sick browser on the firestick and log in on the browser as if it was a computer screen?

I would watch it on my laptop no probs but wife wants to watch as well

RTV works fine on my LG smart tv. I can also screen share from my laptop to it - no need for an HDMI cable. I can't log in to the new VST site via the tv though. I have to screenshare from laptop for that.

Ive got a new LG smart tv as well how are you doing that?

Whats VST?

Whats VST?
Virtual Season Ticket. I just go into the LG browser and search for Rangers tv to watch it direct. For screen sharing, on my laptop it's Bluetooth and other devices - add Bluetooth or other device- wait for it to find your tv (mine is on the same wireless network) and click on it to connect.

So just navigate to sick browser on the firestick and log in on the browser as if it was a computer screen?

I would watch it on my laptop no probs but wife wants to watch as well

Whats VST?

You could try with the inbuilt browser on the tv. Some work OK, some work poorly and some won't work at all. In general they are not vey good.

Other than that, just use Silk in the same way you would any browser. Check out the OP in this thread to make sure you are good to go (its easier than it looks):

By far the best way, and it sounds like you have the equipment, is to hook up your laptop to your tv with an HDMI cable and then just play it through your laptop. You will have a much better experience, though a bit more untidy with cables and laptop lying around.

I dont have a smart tv but have purchased the 3 game package to watch on my laptop. Can i cast that to non smart tv in any way?

I dont have a smart tv but have purchased the 3 game package to watch on my laptop. Can i cast that to non smart tv in any way?

Buy an HDMI cable if you don't already have one. Cheap as chips and better than casting in any case. Only other options on a non-SmartTV are Chromecast or Firestick. For you, HDMI is the way to go.

I empathise with the OP, lots of methods, none particularly slick.

Surely the digital team can create an app for the firestick and other android based platforms?
we want to give people as seemless a process as possible if we are to maximise the sales of match purchases. As soon as folk start needing to hook up laptops, fart about with cumbersome smart tv browsers etc it becomes a pain and puts people off.

it should be an Amazon style purchase and view experience, quick, easy, robust and high quality.

Buy an HDMI cable if you don't already have one. Cheap as chips and better than casting in any case. Only other options on a non-SmartTV are Chromecast or Firestick. For you, HDMI is the way to go.

I have tried various different methods of watching games over the years - I always come back to watching using my laptop and HDMI.
I always find that the ball seems to lag a little when casting.

I tried to cast from my Rangers app on phone to smart tv but only came up with audio?

Need more info @Jenny What make of phone? Does the phone find the tv when you try to cast? Are you finding the game by clicking on Fixtures at the bottom of the App, selecting the St Mirren game and then selecting Video from the pop-up screen that appears? And then pressing play - obviously.

Thanks for helping. It's an i phone so I logged in on app wanting to check it out to make sure it worked tomorrow so I'm just watching any video on it and when i click the TV screen its coming up my sky box so I've casted it to that but it's only audio.

Disclaimer - I am totally backward with this casting incase it wasn't obvious .

Thanks for helping. It's an i phone so I logged in on app wanting to check it out to make sure it worked tomorrow so I'm just watching any video on it and when i click the TV screen its coming up my sky box so I've casted it to that but it's only audio.

Disclaimer - I am totally backward with this casting incase it wasn't obvious .

That's where you are going wrong @Jenny.

If I recall correctly you've purchased the three match package as a PPV viewer? That is not a subscription to RangersTV. It won't allow you to play the videos on there that are solely for RangersTV subscribers. That's why none of them will play for you. If you have a subscription then its a different matter.

The only thing that will work is the test stream. So, set yourself up for casting. Find the game by clicking on Fixtures at the bottom of the App, selecting the St Mirren game and then selecting Video from the pop-up screen that appears? And then pressing play - obviously. You should see the club crests from the Aberdeen v Rangers game. It might even start playing the game. If it doesn't, then go to the little slider along the bottom and drag it half way back and wait a few moments and, hopefully the match will start to play. It might, it might not - its a bit flaky. However, provided you can see the Rangers/Aberdeen club crests you should be fine.

Thank again. I do have an RTV subscription just the £6 one though. I bought the game for £10 , rather than the 3 match game. It's doing everything you said when I go to fixtures etc and playing the Aberdeen game on my phone no problems but it's not casting to my TV? Just coming up a blue screen with unknown track on it.

I have logged onto my LG browser it's a bit fiddly but that works. Just thought it would have been easier casting from phone.

I have a Chromecast plugged in to my TV in the shed and just cast to that from my phone or laptop.

Thank again. I do have an RTV subscription just the £6 one though. I bought the game for £10 , rather than the 3 match game. It's doing everything you said when I go to fixtures etc and playing the Aberdeen game on my phone no problems but it's not casting to my TV? Just coming up a blue screen with unknown track on it.

I have logged onto my LG browser it's a bit fiddly but that works. Just thought it would have been easier casting from phone.

Alright. So the issue is the casting rather than playing the test stream, clearly.

I'm stuck after the advice I've given you as I don't do casting @Jenny.

C'mon guys, can anybody give the lady some advice on casting from an iPhone to a SmartTV.

Back