SPFL — Joint Response Group update

Nathan9719972

Thursday 13th August 2020

JOINT RESPONSE GROUP UPDATE 13/08/20
THE JOINT RESPONSE GROUP TODAY OUTLINES A WIDE RANGE OF MEASURES AGREED WITH THE SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT TO REINFORCE SCOTTISH FOOTBALL’S COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC HEALTH AND ADHERENCE TO PROTOCOLS.
These measures have been approved by the JRG and follow extensive discussions with Scottish Government Ministers and health advisers.

They are as follows:

ENFORCEMENT - The JRG has worked to ensure that existing rules will be strengthened to include the provision of sanctions for players who do not adhere to COVID-specific football protocols or government public health guidelines. This will encompass recent breaches and further details will be provided tomorrow.

EVALUATION - In order to provide government health officials with the necessary confidence that Scottish football can return safely and in accordance with relevant government guidelines and football protocols, the Scottish FA has agreed that the return to training for clubs outwith the SPFL Premiership – which includes all organised adult football over-18 - will be delayed until at least 24 August, pending updated government guidance on the 20th. This is to ensure that:

• All club facilities comply with the current JRG Protocols, social distancing and hygiene measures.
• All club policies and procedures comply with the current protocols and government guidance.
• Club testing regimes in the professional game comply with the protocols.
• Players and staff at all levels of the game have been reminded of the latest government guidance.

EDUCATION - Professor Jason Leitch, the National Clinical Director for Scotland, has produced a video message outlining, in the clearest terms, what professional footballers can and cannot do within the existing government guidelines. This message with be reinforced on a regular basis via digital communication.

ENGAGEMENT - The SPFL and Scottish FA have gifted Scottish Government advertising space to promote public health messaging on matchdays in-stadia, using LED advertising and via other owned assets for all SPFL competitions and the William Hill Scottish Cup semifinals and final.

Rod Petrie, Joint Response Group Chair: “The message from First Minister could not have been clearer. The JRG must now ensure that the planned resumption of football beyond the Scottish Premiership is done in a controlled manner with the strictest adherence to protocols and guidelines.

“The pause on the return to training for the professional game outwith the Scottish Premiership will not impact on the proposed start dates of the respective league competitions but will give sufficient time to reinforce protocols, educate players and make sure of the ability of clubs in the lower divisions to conform.”

Neil Doncaster, SPFL Chief Executive: “Today’s measures underline the fact that Scottish football is doing everything it possibly can to protect our game. The recent, high-profile breaches must be used as further motivation for all those with our game’s best interests at heart to comply absolutely with these necessary restrictions and safeguards.”

From SFA/SPFL

Joint Response Group - rules will now include provision to punish players who break COVID protocols. This will also include recent breaches ie Celtic’s Boli Bolingoli and the eight Aberdeen players

Video messages from Jason Leitch!!!
Eeeeeeekk! That's creepy!
That guy, with his fondness for pink shirts, is defo worth the watching!

Orcs and sheep will get away with this, it pains me to say that perhaps the sheep are not as much to blame. The orcs knew that fecking idiot was away and as usual tried to be sleekit and get away with it. Excuse playbook comes out and the club pleading they are not to blame.

In the instances so far I must admit I’m in favour of the players involved being hammered. At the end of the day the incidents were down to their stupidity, I think a token fine for the clubs involved would also be appropriate.

I‘m not so sure I agree with hammering the clubs, or forfeiting matches, unless any future breaches can be proven to be as a result of the club’s negligence. We will, almost certainly, have future incidents. We are not immune to falling foul of that.

Another noose around the neck of the SPFL if they have absolutely ruled out club sanctions.

We go into the split with only a point in it between us and the scum. We have three key players out injured before playing them in the second last game. We fire a bench warmer off down to Blackpool to the pubs and clubs for a couple of days. He comes back and his C19 status is unknown. Benchwarmer cops a 4 game ban. We cop 10-14 days off to get our injured players back.

Absolutely not outside the realms of possibility, be it us or any other team. Where there's a loophole there will always be someone to exploit it, whether it's call offs following deaths of former players or imaginary tours of Japan.

Make the clubs responsible and it changes everything. And they should be. If you can't fulfil a fixture due to blatant and deliberate disregard of the rules and regulations by one of your staff then you should forfeit the fixture.

In the instances so far I must admit I’m in favour of the players involved being hammered. At the end of the day the incidents were down to their stupidity, I think a token fine for the clubs involved would also be appropriate.

I‘m not so sure I agree with hammering the clubs, or forfeiting matches, unless any future breaches can be proven to be as a result of the club’s negligence. We will, almost certainly, have future incidents. We are not immune to falling foul of that.

Kangaroo courts and mentally challengeds with cameras getting evidence, the league would be decided off the pitch if this happened. It was a mentally challenged that apparently shopper Bolingoli ( quite rightly so as well), I’ve no doubt others would be try to actively catch opposition players out.

Why has this only now been thought of? The league have had 5 months to come up with this. The horse has already bolted.

Amateur level on the park, amateur level off the park.

At the very least they should have been right on this as soon as the sheep players broke the rules, not wait for another.

I will be amazed if there is any action against clubs for previous actions but I think there could be for future actions. Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted

I'd love to know what sanctions will be in place when clubs are at fault

..or will we just make it up on the hoof depending on the club concerned?

Hearts have been back training for a week now, unlucky for them as the new guidelines mean they can’t train until the 24th August at the earliest.

Clubs should still be held responsible when they put players out on the pitch who could potentially be carrying the virus. Boligoli is still celtic's responsibility, him heading off to spain and not telling them just means he should be absolutely hammered for it but if you give players time off during a pandemic where there's a lot on the line for clubs, not keeping a grip of them should still see you punished.

If he tackled someone he would get a red and face the ban, it's the player stepping out of line. So I do agree.

If the clubs do not have the correct procedures in they should be hammered.

There still needs to be an investigation into bolingoli, to find out if they knew before they said.

If he tackled someone he would get a red and face the ban, it's the player stepping out of line. So I do agree.

There still needs to be an investigation into bolingoli, to find out if they knew before they said.

And his team would be down to ten men. So there is collective punishment wider than the player. Otherwise you'd be allowed to sub a red carded player, no?

Don't be too quick off the mark mate. This might get interesting:

"This will encompass recent breaches and further details will be provided tomorrow."
We'll be dragged into this because of the friendly. Everyone gets a slap on the wrist

Don't think they can introduce new rules and retrospectively enforce them, but then again it is the SPFL.

That’s what I would have said as well but

ENFORCEMENT - The JRG has worked to ensure that existing rules will be strengthened to include the provision of sanctions for players who do not adhere to COVID-specific football protocols or government public health guidelines. This will encompass recent breaches and further details will be provided tomorrow.

We knew the day after we beat Aberdeen their players had been in Soul Bar, if we knew, then they knew.

There is no chance on earth that Bolingoli was in Spain and the filth didn't know.
Regardless, Griffiths had a party that we know of. Again, if we know then they know.

I don't think future breaches should face a sanction that these instances haven’t.

Another noose around the neck of the SPFL if they have absolutely ruled out club sanctions.

We go into the split with only a point in it between us and the scum. We have three key players out injured before playing them in the second last game. We fire a bench warmer off down to Blackpool to the pubs and clubs for a couple of days. He comes back and his C19 status is unknown. Benchwarmer cops a 4 game ban. We cop 10-14 days off to get our injured players back.

Absolutely not outside the realms of possibility, be it us or any other team. Where there's a loophole there will always be someone to exploit it, whether it's call offs following deaths of former players or imaginary tours of Japan.

Make the clubs responsible and it changes everything. And they should be. If you can't fulfil a fixture due to blatant and deliberate disregard of the rules and regulations by one of your staff then you should forfeit the fixture.
There's no way an employer should take the rap for this. If a guy goes out to a pub where there no social distancing, unknown to him catches covid-19, goes to work on Monday, feels ill, tests positive. Do you think the employer should be fined/punished etc.?
This is exactly what happened recently in Amazon Gourock but company weren't punished!

So Aberdeen and Celtic who have broke the rules can train, and Celtic can play a home European game on Tuesday but Hearts and the other non top flight teams who've done nothing wrong can't go to training until 24 August at the earliest? That seems sensible

There's no way an employer should take the rap for this. If a guy goes out to a pub where there no social distancing, unknown to him catches covid-19, goes to work on Monday, feels ill, tests positive. Do you think the employer should be fined/punished etc.?
This is exactly what happened recently in Amazon Gourock but company weren't punished!

Clubs are responsible for their fans so why shouldn't they be responsible for their employees?!

If they sack him and tarnish him he will spill the beans no question

SPFL and it’s Joint Response Group have been found wanting now that something COVID-related has actually happened. They’ve had no actual Policies & Procedures to point to when the Politicians have (in this case correctly) asked how this has happened, and what are the SPFL doing about it.

It’s all been extremely vague and woolly - that’s why we’ll get some token effort at punishing the players, lip service at sanctioning Clubs - and a hastily cobbled-together list of new upgraded protocols tomorrow.

Clubs are responsible for their fans so why shouldn't they be responsible for their employees?!
So. Jordan Jones has just been fined for dangerous driving, a criminal conviction. Are you seriously suggesting the club should be held responsible?

Back