Daniel Johnson of Preston

He is accurate more often than not.

This just happens to be the latter :))

It seems he has maybe seen the Tweet from last night from a 'journalist' saying it was done and to be announced early this week. Now that tweet has been shown as a load of rubbish he's backtracked on it as well.

You can be negative about a player and not be banned, difference is if the player is being abused. Having seen the last page, none of the posts are ban worthy as they are basically saying Barker isn’t good enough for our club, which is absolutely correct.
There’s a conspiracy in here against me then :))

Are they saying Suarez wouldn’t cut it for them?

It's just your typical small club syndrome. Raging/can't get their heads around the fact we have fans all around the world and labelling us all glory hunters.

We've had no end of glory the last 10 years right enough.

Daft cunts.

We need to buy for all levels, its clear that we need to play differently domestically and abroad, one of Gerrard's flaws (hate saying that as I love him) is that he wasn't very flexible. He seen us outplay the likes of Porto at times and thought if we do that against x, y, and z then that'll be good enough but he genuinely seems to have learned we need variety for all occasions. Daniel could prove to be a key player against the usual park-the-bus-merchants we face... if that means guys like Aribo or Hagi replace him when in Europe or certain other games then that's a great option to have
Spot on tbf

Their owner seems to be quite a tight arse/panic merchant when it comes to finances. I reckon we will leave this to stew for a days or even weeks then come back in.

Seemingly they need the money for a striker, can’t believe they are playing the bold Jayden Stockley up front!.

Their owner seems to be quite a tight arse/panic merchant when it comes to finances. I reckon we will leave this to stew for a days or even weeks then come back in.

Seemingly they need the money for a striker, can’t believe they are playing the bold Jayden Stockley up front!.
People wax lyrical about the championship and some of the fees clubs get for players but there is also plenty of dross playing week in week out.

Love how theres people on here are validating signing Johnson because he was PNE player of the year. One prominent throbber wants to replace Ryan Jack (and won’t shut up about it) who was our player of the year.

From the article in the Lancashire post

“A £2m fee was mentioned in the media, a figure way below North End’s value of Johnson.
In fact it is understood that when Rangers enquired about him, the Ibrox outfit were talking somewhat less than £2m – and that to be paid in stages.”

Would appear we a lowballing in an attempt to unsettle and get him on cheap

It's a pretty poor line though that isn't even remotely true.

Steven Gerrard never won a Premier League title.
Luke Chadwick did.
It's my opinion , I accept others may not agree.

Barker is a half decent Hibs standard player and not what we require if we are serious.

I also accept other go over the top with some of their criticism .

Loving the Gerrard Chadwick analogy, by the way .

Anyway, probably took this off track far enough .

Can’t see us hanging about given we’ve hopefully four massive away games coming up in the next few weeks

People wax lyrical about the championship and some of the fees clubs get for players but there is also plenty of dross playing week in week out.
I agree, it’s a stark contrast. I genuinely consider Preston to be a team chasing play off places. So when you consider they’ve got Jayden Stockley up top and Brentford are selling folk for £33m it’s quite mental.

From the article in the Lancashire post

“A £2m fee was mentioned in the media, a figure way below North End’s value of Johnson.
In fact it is understood that when Rangers enquired about him, the Ibrox outfit were talking somewhat less than £2m – and that to be paid in stages.”

Would appear we a lowballing in an attempt to unsettle and get him on cheap
Surely not?Thats the rheptiles games.

It’s like the Joey Garner days all over again.
Except he was a local lad who loved their club and produced the goods when they were in League 1.

Daniel has produced the goods for them in the Championship and current player of the year...

It's like someone not wanting Kent from us as they gave Halliday a trial.

I take it from his popularity with the PNE fans that he is a hard working player MCM ?

Im sure I read somewhere that he covered more ground than all others In the squad last season ?

He's just had his best season in a North End shirt & is one of the most talented at the Club so yeah he's a popular figure.

He works hard for the team as if you've ever watched North End under AN hard work particularly from the midfielders tracking back is the minimum he requires.

Defensive stuff isn't a strong point of his I'd say but then I guess he's not being (potentially) signed for that.

Not sure about the ground covering stat, as I say he expects midfielders to cover a lot of ground so it could be right.

He might be frugal and run a tight ship, but I don't think Trevor Hemmings (who owns PNE and who the Sunday Times Rich List for 2020 had down as worth £1.03bn) would be considered to be a panic merchant when it comes to finances.

Can’t see us hanging about given we’ve hopefully four massive away games coming up in the next few weeks
If the opportunity arises to get a player of his quality for a cut price fee due to the contract situation I don’t think we will he put a time scale on it.

We may sign another midfielder in that time (I’d be surprised if we didn’t) but Gerrard is always talking about quality becoming available.

RE this, going by their forum and thoughts on the board I think we will leave it for a few days and they will cave knowing we can sign him for nothing in three months.

He might be frugal and run a tight ship, but I don't think Trevor Hemmings (who owns PNE and who the Sunday Times Rich List for 2020 had down as worth £1.03bn) would be considered to be a panic merchant when it comes to finances.
Perhaps poor word choice on my part, I was more meaning they are desperate for a striker and he is putting up little funds. They seem to be under the impression they can get Cauley Woodrow for £2-3m. Thus, I reckon he will accept our bid and use that to fund a move for a striker.

Barker won't be the first player to have been coached to play better; that thing that clubs actually employ coaches to do. He has not been our worst player this season, and the criticism of him is mainly from last season. If he was a new signing people may be fairer to him.

I don’t disagree that players can be coached to play better, I do however stand by my opinion that he wont be an 8/10 player week in week out which is what you need to win leagues.

If the opportunity arises to get a player of his quality for a cut price fee due to the contract situation I don’t think we will he put a time scale on it.

We may sign another midfielder in that time (I’d be surprised if we didn’t) but Gerrard is always talking about quality becoming available.

RE this, going by their forum and thoughts on the board I think we will leave it for a few days and they will cave knowing we can sign in for nothing in three months.
We could go out and pay a fee for a loan player for a year(good one out of favour somewhere not a youth) and get DJfor free next year, same with the likes of Lundstrum etc

I agree, it’s a stark contrast. I genuinely consider Preston to be a team chasing play off places. So when you consider they’ve got Jayden Stockley up top and Brentford are selling folk for £33m it’s quite mental.

North End are massively overachieving considering their budget.

He is a tight arse though.

Perhaps poor word choice on my part, I was more meaning they are desperate for a striker and he is putting up little funds. They seem to be under the impression they can get Cauley Woodrow for £2-3m. Thus, I reckon he will accept our bid and use that to fund a move for a striker.

There is not an chance North End would pay that in the current climate no matter whether this deal gets done or not.

Alex Neil has said as much himself.

I don’t disagree that players can be coached to play better, I do however stand by my opinion that he wont be an 8/10 player week in week out which is what you need to win leagues.
He is better this season, so far, than he has ever been last season; if Roofe scores the header off Barker's cross, which Roofe should have taken, then Barker gets more credit. I see a player in Barker, and on his form he deserves time; I will concede, though, that he has it all to do, and will need to do it over a season.

There is not an chance North End would pay that in the current climate no matter whether this deal gets done or not.

Alex Neil has said as much himself.
Really?. Fair enough mate your the most knowledgeable, is the play off aspirations not shared by the owner?.

Wouldn’t be spending over £2m for a player in the last year of his contract.

I think the fact that he could be available for nothing in 9 months time would be the only reason it doesn't get done.

North End have 4 of their big players out of contract at the end of the season. Currently none of them have signed another deal & there's no way the owner will let all 4 walk for nothing.

It's just a case of which he lets go for a fee & which he plays hardball with.

He is better this season, so far, than he has ever been last season; if Roofe scores the header off Barker's cross, which Roofe should have taken, then Barker gets more credit. I see a player in Barker, and on his form he deserves time; I will concede, though, that he has it all to do, and will need to do it over a season.

I don’t disagree with you in the fact that’s he’s been better, I guess we see how things play out.

Last 18 months he's an 8/10 most weeks.

Before that he was woefully inconsistent IMO.

Make of that what you will.

He's just had his best season in a North End shirt & is one of the most talented at the Club so yeah he's a popular figure.

He works hard for the team as if you've ever watched North End under AN hard work particularly from the midfielders tracking back is the minimum he requires.

Defensive stuff isn't a strong point of his I'd say but then I guess he's not being (potentially) signed for that.

Not sure about the ground covering stat, as I say he expects midfielders to cover a lot of ground so it could be right.

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Back