Daniel Johnson of Preston

I think Johnston is just one target on a list of hundreds who we have made contact with his club/representatives.

Reads to me (like Zungu) he's been made aware of the interest, fancied the move and started leaking stuff to the media to try force it through.

I reckon he's just one target from a long list. If he has leaked stuff to the media then that won't sit well with Rangers and has probably lowered the chances of the move.
Probably. He just doesn't look good enough to be a big target.

If we sign him I think he will be a squad player who will be behind the players who are there already . SG wants that 1 more attacking mid , maybe that’s why a low bid has went in also? As we won’t waste millions in a squad player

They've bid £3 million for Ben Davies apparently which has been knocked back.

He's one of the 4 in the same contract situation as DJ.
Is Pearson the same, he is the only player other than DJ I picked up on when I seen bits of games. Good player.

When everybody is fit Aribo Jack Hagi Davis Kammara who would Johnson replace?
Quite simply, we need a 22/23 solid first team players all capable of starting without weakening the team, obviously Goldson, Kent, Tav and Barisic are as you would class regular regular starters however we need 2 players capable of starting for each position. Some of our support would be content with 11 starters and 11 back up players as a squad, strength in depth wins titles and for the past few years we haven’t had that.

Is Pearson the same, he is the only player other than DJ I picked up on when I seen bits of games. Good player.

Yeah he's one of the 4 - Alan Browne, Ben Davies & DJ being the other 3.

Pearson could easily play at a higher level if he could get keep a better grip on his temperament which to be fair to him he did improve on last season.

He's a real fans favourite & it would be gutting to see him go but I think most North End fans are just resigned to it.

Well that was fucking dreadful.

Some beautiful football and top finishing.

The music would make you pray for deafness to befall you though.

haha, they’ll play it on the PA every time he scores! Must admit I watched it on silent when I found it, so hadn’t noticed the music until now.

He's just had his best season in a North End shirt & is one of the most talented at the Club so yeah he's a popular figure.

He works hard for the team as if you've ever watched North End under AN hard work particularly from the midfielders tracking back is the minimum he requires.

Defensive stuff isn't a strong point of his I'd say but then I guess he's not being (potentially) signed for that.

Not sure about the ground covering stat, as I say he expects midfielders to cover a lot of ground so it could be right.
Will second what you say about DJ , watched Preston 15 + times last season . Have them as my second team. He's a decent player very much like kamara not bad with the ball at his feet but only being very slight in stature might not be suited to the Scottish hammer throwers. I think it's going to be a long season for Preston especially with no centre forward and Hemmings not liking parting with money.

When everybody is fit Aribo Jack Hagi Davis Kammara who would Johnson replace?

Really impossible to say until we have signed him and see him. The scouting dept will know exactly what they are looking for and for what position(s) That and the fact that we haven’t really been able to replace Aribo, who is likely out until end October flags a squad requirement.

Will second what you say about DJ , watched Preston 15 + times last season . Have them as my second team. He's a decent player very much like kamara not bad with the ball at his feet but only being very slight in stature might not be suited to the Scottish hammer throwers. I think it's going to be a long season for Preston especially with no centre forward and Hemmings not liking parting with money.

The Championship isn't exactly full of pussies either, it's a pretty physical league.

He is a tight arse though.
Yes, I feel for PNE supporters. I have a soft spot for them. I used to have dealings with Tony Scholes, Bryan Gray, Derek Shaw etc. back in the day so I always keep an eye out for North End. I guess no club has a right to a sugar daddy but it must be frustrating having a billionaire owner who runs such a tight ship.

Whenever I've seen him he's played kinda left hand side of a midfield 3 but is allowed to push on, the boy Browne plays deepest of the 3 just tackling/fouling anything that moves and the other guy Harrop is more the attacking threat. Neat and tidy on the ball but I really don't see him improving our first 11.

Just my opinion.
If he’s in before Barker he automatically will improve our first 11.

Pearson should be, and usually is, MOM in every game he plays in. Premiership class and our best player by a country mile.
However he has a shocking disciplinary record although not always his fault.
Put a Rangers shirt on him in the SPL and he'll be red carded first 15 mins in every game

41 goals in 201 games for Preston is a superb record for a CM even including penalties - to put that into perspective kamara has scored 1 league goal for Rangers, Ryan Jack has scored 8, Steve Davis MBE scored 18 the first time round and 0 this time and Scott airfield has 17.

Overall he alone is only 3 goals short of the total our CM (excluding aribo as I am assuming he will be panting further forward) have scored in their respective careers.
To be fair, now Scott has scored his first league goal this season, I’m sure his numbers will take off.

£2m for a player who will likely be cover for Aribo.

Good times are just around the corner.

If we are spending anything figure in the millions it has to be for a long term replacement for Davis. I'm not sure this guy would be anything more than a squad player.

Really impossible to say until we have signed him and see him. The scouting dept will know exactly what they are looking for and for what position(s) That and the fact that we haven’t really been able to replace Aribo, who is likely out until end October flags a squad requirement.

As said elsewhere, I think we’re working with two different scenarios dependent on Alfie staying or going.

As Gerrard stressed the other day we need to boost our midfield options and Johnson looks like the ‘squad requirement’ you speak of that we can bring in now without breaking our budget.

If Morelos then departs we’ll make a move for other more expensive targets, IMO.

I think he lost his way a bit under Neill. He was in and out of the side a bit and played in too deeper role many times. He started really well last season and got a few goals which got the fans back on side a bit. I get the impression he's not Neill's first choice in midfield, but the lack of form, suspensions, and general shitness of other players meant that he's played a bit more often.
My honest opinion is that he's OK with the odd MOM performance now and then

I have a slight concern that this guy may have been on our ‘players if we don’t sell Morelos’ list.

Yes, I feel for PNE supporters. I have a soft spot for them. I used to have dealings with Tony Scholes, Bryan Gray, Derek Shaw etc. back in the day so I always keep an eye out for North End. I guess no club has a right to a sugar daddy but it must be frustrating having a billionaire owner who runs such a tight ship.

To be fair to Hemmings he has never promised to bankroll the Club to the Premier League but behind the scenes the way the Club is run is a joke & a very bad one at that.

Except he was a local lad who loved their club and produced the goods when they were in League 1.

Daniel has produced the goods for them in the Championship and current player of the year...

It's like someone not wanting Kent from us as they gave Halliday a trial.

Never said anything about not wanting. The only comparison made was that Preston fans liked both. That’s it.

Boy loves a bottom corner finish from all angles. I think he's exactly what we need. Quick, forward thinking and will take on shots from outside the box. Hope we can get this done asap

Ten years ago I would have been able to call Trevor Hemmings and ask him......
Surprised he has a charlatan like Ridsdale in charge!!!

Back