Carlos Peña - Will he be a success?

he gave the ball away twice, whats more important to you 100% pass completion or the ball in the net ?

Putting the ball in the net is obviously the most important thing in Football - I think I gave him credit for his goal? Making simple 5-10 yard passes is a pretty basic prerequisite of being a footballer though. Some of the passes he did make, were still under hit. As you’ll see from my earlier post in the thread, I hope the guy works out and overall think he will, that being said I’m not buying into some the hype of his performance yesterday.

If Pedro thinks he’s ready then he’ll start him on Friday, I am of the opinion he won’t because he’s still not ready.

He's not the he most refined of players but he clearly has a good instinct when it comes to attacking the box.

Thought he took his goal well yesterday as well.

I remember a Mexican journalist said he isn't blessed with technical ability like most Mexican players but he can be an effective player.

From the brief time we have seen him, I think we can agree that description of him probably isn't too far off.

Playing as a shadow striker off Morelos could be his best hope for success.
My thoughts also.

I have no doubts about Pena can easily see by his movements into the box and positions he gets into he'll be a success just little rusty at the moment. I would play him instead of miller in a 4-4-1-1 formation and expect double figures in goals.

I have no doubts about Pena can easily see by his movements into the box and positions he gets into he'll be a success just little rusty at the moment. I would play him instead of miller in a 4-4-1-1 formation and expect double figures in goals.
Easily double figures playing off him, he is still very rusty but even bring rusty he has done more than miller in the last 2 x 30 min periods he has come on.

He can only get better

Some of the guy's finishes from bursting through from midfield were lovely at his previous clubs ,some gems from outside the box too,he's rusty and needs games and I'm sure like others wish the guy all the best in the world and hope he turns out a star.

i hope he embraces the challenge that the jersey simply ask's you to earn,he's was said to have had a troubled past and i hope he can shoot to the top with us given his profile back home,as as he should be in his prime and would love him to come good.

one thing is for sure he won't play with a bigger club than us,lets wait and see and i wish him well.

WATP

I thought the fans were great with him yesterday

We are all desperate for him to be a game changer

Hopefully he understands what it takes to play for us. The majority of Pedro's summer signings are an improvement on what we had and hopefully Pena can be a worthy addition to the team.

On another issue, that is a great avatar by the dooman.

He almost ghosts unseen into dangerous advanced positions. An excellent trait.

My two pence for the little it's worth.

His goal was good and his header was unlucky. He played a clever through ball to Morelos that looked poor but they were just on different pages.

Reminded me of a pass Laudrup did in his first game at Ibrox and no-one read it. The crowd groaned thinking it was a terrible pass, I just thought at the time it was a great pass which no one read. The same as with this one by Pena yesterday, if Morelos had made the run it would have been. It takes a while for normal players to get up to speed with great players passing ability. I think Pena will be great for us, hope I'm proven right.

He almost ghosts unseen into dangerous advanced positions. An excellent trait.
This is what I thought as well as said on this thread still rusty but hopefully his goal will give him a bit of confidence and really hope he gets better with more game time

I think I'm in the minority who thinks that the bold Carlos will eventually be a success with us.

Despite rumours of alcoholism, eating pizza hut out of pizza and the like, he's looking trimmer, scoring in training and getting fitter slowly. He's obviously being eased in very slowly by Pedro but if we can get him firing, he will be a huge player for us.
He's too good a player not to succeed with us, once the foreign boys settle in with their families, you'll see their talents come out.Surely our fans will continue to give them the support they need, that way we'll see progress within the team.

Haven't read the thread, but to me - a dud signing.

Brings nothing to the game and looks disinterested. Yesterdays goal doesn't justify his signing.

Brings nothing to the game and looks disinterested. Yesterdays goal doesn't justify his signing.

Too early to write him off as a 'dud' but I have to be honest, I don't understand the 'there's a player in there' comments on here. No doubt I'll be met with 'you know nothing about fitbaw mate' but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he's even a decent squad player.

Misplaced/under-hit passes, shots ballooned over the bar, looks uncomfortable on the ball. This is all from a professional footballer who we have spent nearly 3mil on. For this money, we should have a player who offers something that nobody else in the team can. Instead we have a player who - as far as im concerned - is behind Dorrans, Jack, Rossiter, Niko, Miller and Windass in the pecking order.

Something is not right

Too early to write him off as a 'dud' but I have to be honest, I don't understand the 'there's a player in there' comments on here. No doubt I'll be met with 'you know nothing about fitbaw mate' but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he's even a decent squad player.

Misplaced/under-hit passes, shots ballooned over the bar, looks uncomfortable on the ball. This is all from a professional footballer who we have spent nearly 3mil on. For this money, we should have a player who offers something that nobody else in the team can. Instead we have a player who - as far as im concerned - is behind Dorrans, Jack, Rossiter, Niko, Miller and Windass in the pecking order.

Something is not right

I'd disagree he's behind Miller and Niko, he's shown that he gets beyond the strikers and into good positions and that he's got a shot on him. He'll score more goals than any of our midfielders.

He needs to play games before we can judge. Good movement but wasteful with the ball. Imo not ready to start, but he definitely has something about him. Also, i really don't buy the transfer fee.

Something is not right

Unsure if you know nothing about football or not but you obviously don't know how long it can take to get your match sharpness back. He needs the game time. He's played 19 times for Mexico. of course there is a player in there.

Anybody writing him off after seeing about 45 minutes of football from him is an embarassment. I thought he was exactly the type of player we were needing yesterday, a midfielder who bursts into the box and creates a goal threat. I do agree that his passing was shocking though hopefully he will find his range after a couple of games.

He has to play as a number ten with tow midfilders in the centre beside him, lets be honest goal apart he was awful when he came on yesterday, gave the ball away every time he had it and looked lost.
On a positive note he takes up great positions and has had at least five chances in two games of the bench.
I would start Herrera next week ahead of him and Miller but Pena is agreat weapon from the bench when teams are tired.

He will be a success, if we believe and get behind him.
Likewise with Pedro. Just believe, think positively.

Brought nothing to the game...apart from his goal

"Looks disinterested".

As busy as any player on that park when he came on and looked absolutely overjoyed at scoring

There's people on here who deserve to be banned just for their outright stupidity

He has to play as a number ten with tow midfilders in the centre beside him, lets be honest goal apart he was awful when he came on yesterday, gave the ball away every time he had it and looked lost.
On a positive note he takes up great positions and has had at least five chances in two games of the bench.
I would start Herrera next week ahead of him and Miller but Pena is agreat weapon from the bench when teams are tired.

He gave the ball away every time he had it?

By the looks of the guy he still needs a while yet to get his fitness up. once fit think those misplaced passes will find their mark. He,s definitely got a good left foot dig on him, if he was match fit think that shot would,ve found its target.

Surely he's at the stage now where it's minutes on the park required as opposed to more training and sub appearances?

I'm still unsure how this will turn out but I want him to succeed and I can understand how big a move this has been for him - imagine a Scottish player moving to Guadalajara to play?

We can be fairly quick to judge as a support. The team is playing well and winning and so if Pena takes a little bit longer to start showing his worth then I'm ok with that, as long as he gets there soonish and as long as the team keeps winning without him.

Hate to praise a mhank on here but I really rate Rogic as a midfielder. He signed for the tims and took 18 months to make any sort of impact. It sometimes takes players a bit more time to settle properly.

He's getting there and that goal will have done his confidence no harm at all :)
Once he's up to full speed he will be a top player in this league :cool:

the manager's system with Pena playing just off Morelos could turn out to be a masterstroke

lets see how it goes

like everyone else i was delighted to see Pena score on Saturday

Aye, either does being labelled a dud after about 120
Minutes on the pitch.

Really hope he fu(king rams it down the throats of posters like this.

An old firm winner would be a nice start.

He looks like he needs more game time for sure but we are crying out for an attacking midfielder and he looks like he'd be just that man. Given time to settle I think he'll be a key player this season.

His movement is incredible. Always seems to find space in and around the box.

IMHO Pena will prove to be a fantastic signing for us.

Not sure you are in the minority. For £2.3m anyone stepping into a league as poor as SPL should be like Neymar at PSG. In fact being a flop would be harder to do. People just can't work out why he's not match fit after 10 weeks.
I don't think he isn't match fit Pedro has already hinted in his interviews he's coming to a completely different culture both in a way of living and also a way of playing football.I believe we have played a system which is safe for the players available but doesn't suit Pena. I think in the next few games we will see the team evolve towards what shape we and Pedro want with Pena an integral part and a tweak or two for other positions with Miller and Niko being phased out. I've lost count of big money buys we had in the past who played regardless of form and we're gash in a crap league I think and hope Pedro has managed Penas transition cleverly

His movement is incredible. Always seems to find space in and around the box.

IMHO Pena will prove to be a fantastic signing for us.
This is What I see too in very little game time and when we were down to 10 against the spoon burners He has had an incredible amount of scoring opportunities

Too many wrote the guy off far too soon.

Sometimes I don't buy into the the a 'player needs time to settle' stuff. But in Pena's case I feel he genuinely does. How many of us, or Scottish players, would go over to Guadalajara and settle instantly for example ?? The culture and environment in Glasgow will be utterly alien to him - and the weather will probably depress the f.uck out of him.

And I trust Pedro's handing of the situation 100%

I still say there is a highly likely chance that he will be our POTY.

The Mexicans on that YouTube are saying they want him firing Russia 2018.

He's obviously very highly rated, and a player the Mexicans love if he can get back to that level.

Back