Carlos Peña - Will he be a success?

He has the potential looked better today but had some slack passes which will improve with game time. Looks tidy but want to see something a bit special from him to justify the hype.

Still needs match sharpness but he certainly seemed to find space in dangerous areas seemingly un-noticed (almost ghost like). He has a game intelligence and the goal should help him kick on.

More optimistic about him than I was a couple of weeks back.

Still needs match sharpness but he certainly seemed to find space in dangerous areas seemingly un-noticed (almost ghost like). He has a game intelligence and the goal should help him kick on.

More optimistic about him than I was a couple of weeks back.
I agree. If we get him fit and raring to go I think there is a very good player there.

Though he looks off the pace slightly. Not Niko proportions, but I'm looking forward to seeing what a fit Pena can do in a Rangers jersey

I said just before his goal I couldn't decide if he was a nut job who didn't have a clue or a genius footballer who needed to get up to speed. His goal didn't make me think worse of him but dying to see him start

He made a couple of passes today and there was nobody there to collect them. I'm guessing he's used to playing with more intelligent footballers and he was passing to where he thought they should have been. He'll be a great player for us, of that I've no doubt.

Time will tell once he settles, I certainly saw some things today that make me excited about the type of player he is, some of his through balls were class and never came off because he has not had time to link up with anyone yet, but it will come, hopefully in 2 weeks

Still plenty on here who want him to fail just to use it as a stick to beat Pedro with.

The space he finds and the goal scoring chances he has got himself into make it abundantly clear there is a good footballer in there, hopefully we can get him fully fit and match sharp and we could have an outstanding player on our hands.

Still plenty on here who want him to fail just to use it as a stick to beat Pedro with.

In a nutshell.

Unfortunately this is the problem with many of our support. More important to be right than to be proven wrong and have a successful club.

There is simply no way you can judge PC one way or another until Xmas at the earliest. His team are still gelling.

As for Pena, I thought he looked OK, a few stray passes but that will come in time when he knows the runs everyone makes.

Thought he looked decent in glimpse, appearing in dangerous positions unmarked and always showing for the ball. His stray passes will disappear with game time. I'd like to see him starting in place of Miller next time out.

He's got the amazing ability so far to do something really well then the next time he gets on the ball do something honking. Reckon with more game time he'll do that less often (The honking bit) and be a regular in the 11. Having him play behind the striker instead of Miller out there will be a big improvement

Time will tell but I get the feeling he's going to be a massive player for us. Getting a goal yesterday will have boosted his confidence, especially at Ibrox.

If he has a few more performances where he is misplacing passes but getting forward and scoring goals that win us games i doubt many of us will be comlaining.

His first touch when he came on was a decent header at goal too IIRC which the keeper got a hand to.

Here's my two penã eth, I need to watch the highlights again but for me I think he looked good. His touch wasn't the best but he's clearly lacking match fitness. Not saying he's unfit, he certainly looks better than when he came on against hibs.

Also looks like the kind of player who with goals will increase in confidence. Let's get behind the lad.

Pedro will make poor decisions when it comes to signing players, simply because it comes with the job and every single manager is prone to it. But it's still too early to write off (and that's the correct term for what many are doing) Pena. There have been a few glimpses here and there of what he can offer.

Can definitely see a player. Needs more games to get match sharp etc. Hopefully starts in at least one of the Partick games.

Some rubbish from posters on this thread though

Ok he came on and gave the ball away il accept that...everyone seems to be giving the squad a chance to gel however Peña isn't being given that luxury. He's probably played less than a full 90.

He came on today and showed glimpses of a good player, had a header on target, a good pass to Morelos sadly they weren't on the same wave length and scored.

Once he's started and plays a full 90 he's doubled the amount of time he's played in a Rangers jersey. I was happy for him today getting his goal seeing a smile on his face on what is no doubt a really difficult thing in moving to a new country with a worse climate.

Yes he will come good.

We all know he's had a wobbly start but I feel there is a player there and with game time he will prove a success for Pedro.

I think that goal will give him another boost to push on as well. If a goal in front of 50000 people doesn't get you gee'd up, then not much will.

Way off the pace unable to pass to a team mate 5 yards away.He is no where near ready .His first touch for his goal was a pass.
If Pena is the talisman we require we will need to wait a lot longer than people think.
Hope he proves me wrong .

I think everybody would agree he needs more game time.

The question is though how that happens and where he fits in the team. His last two appearances have been when we were up and the opposition has opened up. It's a different animal when it is 0-0 etc.

If we swap him for Miller then I think despite the frustration with him-you could hear it yesterday from the support-you are not going to get the same coverage and work rate and that is going to put an already stretched centre 2 under more pressure.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest Pena was brought in to play the original 4-2-3-1 set up Pedro planned but he has now went 4-4-2.

I can't see him out wide etc so it's a bit chicken and egg at the moment.

I a
The space he finds and the goal scoring chances he has got himself into make it abundantly clear there is a good footballer in there, hopefully we can get him fully fit and match sharp and we could have an outstanding player on our hands.
i agree with most of that but pretty worried that he won't find the sharpness in the legs. The one run yesterday with some distance in it he looked awfully sluggish. You can see the players and the fans are desperate for the guy to come good after his goal, I really hope it happens.

I think everybody would agree he needs more game time.

The question is though how that happens and where he fits in the team. His last two appearances have been when we were up and the opposition has opened up. It's a different animal when it is 0-0 etc.

If we swap him for Miller then I think despite the frustration with him-you could hear it yesterday from the support-you are not going to get the same coverage and work rate and that is going to put an already stretched centre 2 under more pressure.

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest Pena was brought in to play the original 4-2-3-1 set up Pedro planned but he has now went 4-4-2.

I can't see him out wide etc so it's a bit chicken and egg at the moment.

I think Pena for Niko and Windass for Miller is the ideal starting eleven.

I really like how he gets himself in the box a lot. Hope he kicks on now having got himself a goal after relatively few minutes in a Rangers shirt.

He might just be one of those players that takes a bit of time to settle at a new club, not every players hits the ground running. Let's hope he gets 90 mins in the league cup tie that would do him good

He's not the he most refined of players but he clearly has a good instinct when it comes to attacking the box.

Thought he took his goal well yesterday as well.

I remember a Mexican journalist said he isn't blessed with technical ability like most Mexican players but he can be an effective player.

From the brief time we have seen him, I think we can agree that description of him probably isn't too far off.

Playing as a shadow striker off Morelos could be his best hope for success.

He's not the he most refined of players but he clearly has a good instinct when it comes to attacking the box.

Thought he took his goal well yesterday as well.

I remember a Mexican journalist said he isn't blessed with technical ability like most Mexican players but he can be an effective player.

From the brief time we have seen him, I think we can agree that description of him probably isn't too far off.

Playing as a shadow striker off Morelos could be his best hope for success.
I can't see the big yin tracking many runners:D

I can see Jack and Dorrans getting guys passed on!

Way off the pace unable to pass to a team mate 5 yards away.He is no where near ready .His first touch for his goal was a pass.
If Pena is the talisman we require we will need to wait a lot longer than people think.
Hope he proves me wrong .

Of course you do. This has become the get-out clause for the doom-mongers, if he was as poor as you're saying there'd be no hope of him coming good. Nada.

The guy's ability to ghost into spaces and behind players is amazing.
When he's up to speed I'm sure we'll see more from him.

I rarely criticise players but he won't make it with us. He's not good enough. I really hope I'm proven wrong but has looked like someone from the stands has came on the pitch... looks like an amateur footballer. I really really hope I'm wrong!

That's it he is shite because you say so after a couple of cameos.
What utter madness and bullshit.

There is obviously ability there and you don't play in the Mexican national team if you are no better than amateur level.
Scotland Maybe , Mexico Not a chance

So good to see the majority starting to see what Pena can do, people keep going on about misplaced passes as though thats the most important aspect of the game. I just watched the game back and he gave it away twice....big deal

Cant wait to see this guy match fit, think of the last 2 games the guy has had about 6 decent chances and always seems to be in the right position, thats the sign of a good player.

He also has more goals in the league than Miller so please Pedro just stop playing Niko and Miller, thats my only gripe just now, really happy with the team its night and day from last season

He got into good positions quite a few times and was unlucky with the header. A few misplaced shots and passes but given a bit more game time then he should come good.

Being honest, his passing was pretty atrocious which is a worry. Finding your range on long passes is one thing but these were short 5 - 10 yard passes. That was a worry. Took his goal well and as mentioned elsewhere he took up some good positions, hopefully he can go on from there but I wouldn’t be starting him against Partick unless he can get a game for the youngsters during the week. If he was to make some of those poor passes early in the game on Friday night then his head could go down.

Being honest, his passing was pretty atrocious which is a worry. Finding your range on long passes is one thing but these were short 5 - 10 yard passes. That was a worry. Took his goal well and as mentioned elsewhere he took up some good positions, hopefully he can go on from there but I wouldn’t be starting him against Partick unless he can get a game for the youngsters during the week. If he was to make some of those poor passes early in the game on Friday night then his head could go down.
he gave the ball away twice, whats more important to you 100% pass completion or the ball in the net ?

Back