Jordan Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose

Thought JJ did well in his 15 mins, including laying one on a plate that young Hagi unfortunately skied over.

Gerrard and the coaching team obviously see them every day, but for me, JJ looks miles ahead of Brandon and much more confident. I hope we keep him and start playing him this season. We need cover for Kent and can definitely do a job domestically and in Europe if we make the groups. What say the bears?

Think he should move on. His pace is an asset in Europe - particularly away - but for 99% of our games we will be playing against teams which sit in. His skillset is fairly ineffective in these games, and any fee we get for him can be used to help improve the midfield. Id wish him well though

Thought JJ did well in his 15 mins, including laying one on a plate that young Hagi unfortunately skied over.

Gerrard and the coaching team obviously see them every day, but for me, JJ looks miles ahead of Brandon and much more confident. I hope we keep him and start playing him this season. We need cover for Kent and can definitely do a job domestically and in Europe if we make the groups. What say the bears?

Jordan Jones with his speed and directness would toast teams that try to park the bus, rather than tippy tappy build up play that’s let us down with parked defences.

Said in the match thread, there has to have been something major happened behind the scenes or we'd have seen more of him. He clearly has talent but I think that was shop window material tonight.

At the very least he would be a good impact player off the bench, he has generally done well when he has played. Can only assume Gerrard doesn’t think he trains well enough

Gerrard praised him in his interview been in last few squads hopefully putting the work in on the training field and can get himself more chances, definitely feel he can be a decent asset for us off the bench when we need a bit of pace.

Better than many other of our options for how we play, but once Gerrard decides, nothing else matters.

his game vs midtjylland last year was excellent. he was put on to stretch the game with pace and it worked really well. saw some flashes of that tonight. i just don't see the point, clearly he isn't in Gerrard's plans so we should probably move him on for a player Gerrard feels he can regularly look to on the bench.

not a fan but deserves a chance to prove me and others wrong, done more in 15 mins than hagi
Bit harsh on Hagi.
Think he is settling into a new, and unaccustomed position for him.
Sure he will come onto a game.

I was so glad to see JJ given at least a chance.Still rate him highly than Barker.
But ...it's easier coming on when you are 3 up or had we just scored 4th? than when you have to chase a game.
Either way with all the injuries we are having, I would like to see him stay.
If he is up against Kent for that position? Well... enough said.

What happened to Stewart?
Was sure he would get on before JJ.

Either way excellent result that should give the squad the confidence going forward for Sunday, and hopefully next week against the Turks.
Another level again, but we can do it!
Would never bet against us in Europe under Gerrard.

#letsgo

He's looked more dangerous in competitive action than Barker this season, in a lot less time.
i can't really agree with that. in some games Barker has deserved a goal or an assist, i said at the time it was unlucky he never as now he has F all to show for it. the fact that he started 4 games in a row and Jones hasn't barely started a competitive game for us in his time here shows you what the gaffer thinks the pecking order looks like.

not a fan but deserves a chance to prove me and others wrong, done more in 15 mins than hagi
I think JJ will will know how young Hagi is feeling after that chance at the end.
He unfortunately missing the great chance against Lyon? in the French tournament set up by of all of all people Brandon Barker?
Thankfully neither chance counted for nothing, in the end.

i can't really agree with that. in some games Barker has deserved a goal or an assist, i said at the time it was unlucky he never as now he has F all to show for it. the fact that he started 4 games in a row and Jones hasn't barely started a competitive game for us in his time here shows you what the gaffer thinks the pecking order looks like.

I know Gerrard doesn't agree with me but in a very short spell tonight Jones did the right things - won free kicks, went past people, and put a chance on a plate for Hagi.

I was being harsh on Barker probably, but I'd be happier keeping Jones if one of them is to go.

I know Gerrard doesn't agree with me but in a very short spell tonight Jones did the right things - won free kicks, went past people, and put a chance on a plate for Hagi.

I was being harsh on Barker probably, but I'd be happier keeping Jones if one of them is to go.
Much more direct, than Barker. Who seems to run around in circles, like a dug chasing it's tail!

It will be more of a guide to see if he makes the squad on Sunday. I tend to agree with the earlier post that said the manager has already made his mind up and his future probably lies away from the club.

Came on when the game was over to rest players in a threadbare squad. Isn’t ever going to contribute anything significant for us unfortunately.

Reactions: MSF
The best I can say about him so far is that he is better than o’halloran.

he’s got some way to go before I start singing his praises.

He’s always decent when he has space to run into, unfortunately we don’t get that in Scotland, and when he doesn’t have that space he just isn’t up to the standard we need.

He is always a decent player to have away from home in Europe. Probably less so in the league but he gives us something different with his direct running.

If nothing else tonight might have put him in the shop window.

He already has.
Provided the cross for Alfie v Legia to get us into the Europa groups. Was instrumental in helping to dismantle a good Midjytland team in the earlier round.

One half decent cross and once running past a few guys is not in any way a significant contribution

He’s always decent when he has space to run into, unfortunately we don’t get that in Scotland, and when he doesn’t have that space he just isn’t up to the standard we need.
He can still beat players which will either get him in behind defences or win us free kicks in dangerous areas, it's not as if he is an utter donkey that can just run fast like Sadiq.

Was a terrific run he went on. Also looked very quick and confident.

I would definitely like to see him start on the right against Motherwell.

Think Jones should tell Rangers to stick it and I am not moving...Has 2 years left on a contract.... Barker is out, Haji inconsistent - Roofe Injury prone ----- so where do we get the final 3rd play we desperately need? I think he needs to be given a chance? Barker played 4/5 games Rank - Haji very in and out and Roofe injured.

One half decent cross and once running past a few guys is not in any way a significant contribution

As has been mentioned above, the assist v Legia was one of the most significant contributions of Gerrard's tenure, so I'd respectfully disagree with you on this point!

He can still beat players which will either get him in behind defences or win us free kicks in dangerous areas, it's not as if he is an utter donkey that can just run fast like Sadiq.
Can he beat players? It doesn’t happen very often, and when he does his final ball let’s him down. A lot of the time his first touch let’s him down as well. I just don’t think he’s good enough.

He had 2 contributions against a team who were dodgy at the back chasing the game looking for a consolation goal. One good run and the final ball overhit straight out for a bye kick and one good run where he put it on a plate for Hagi.
Both times he got through purely due to pace not skill, he doesn't have any trickery and needs space to run into to utilise his only real attribute, something he'll be lucky to get at all in the league.

If we can get a decent fee for him he shouldn't be near the place post transfer window

Jones is a great wee player and why we signed him,he's more than capable of damaging teams and should be given his chance, his pace is electric when he get's going, after watching the Turks highlights against Hadjuk Split, Kent and Jones would give them the fear. Hoping he get's his chance.

Jones is a great wee player and why we signed him,he's more than capable of damaging teams and should be given his chance, his pace is electric when he get's going, after watching the Turks highlights against Hadjuk Split, Kent and Jones would give them the fear. Hoping he get's his chance.
You say he's great but only mention his pace, for me that's the problem pace is all he has. His first touch, passing and decision making won't scare SPL teams never mind the Turks

He had 2 contributions against a team who were dodgy at the back chasing the game looking for a consolation goal. One good run and the final ball overhit straight out for a bye kick and one good run where he put it on a plate for Hagi.
Both times he got through purely due to pace not skill, he doesn't have any trickery and needs space to run into to utilise his only real attribute, something he'll be lucky to get at all in the league.

If we can get a decent fee for him he shouldn't be near the place post transfer window
Have you watched Alfonso Davies of Bayern Munich ? His game is all about pace and Bayern use his pace to great affect, he has next to no trickery but he's the quickest player in the German league. Had Hagi put the ball in the net, we would be on here singing the praises of Jones ball to him, as an aside, a £3m player should really be putting the ball from that distance into an empty goal. Had Jones missed that he would be getting even more negativity thrown at him. I'd have him start all day long before Barker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back