Tom Miller tonight

What is "horrific" about it? I actually think he's one of the more perceptive ex pros and always enjoy his commentary.

it’s the same chat every week, the same chat about character, he really struggles to articulate what’s going on without going back to basics all the time. His answer is hoof it, get stuck in or put central defenders in midfield like last night. It gives me the shudders this guy is coaching our teams.

Just tape him every week and place replay instead of having him live.

I get everyone loves him for a few tackles but the likes of stevie smith etc are miles ahead.

The commentary team missed quite a lot of details last night, that will be a result of them sitting at Ibrox watching the TV feed rather than in the stadium seeing the whole game in front of them.

I think he spoke less last night which i welcomed,there is no need to waffle on which he usually does,less is more Tom.

The commentary team missed quite a lot of details last night, that will be a result of them sitting at Ibrox watching the TV feed rather than in the stadium seeing the whole game in front of them.
Correct mate. I think the long ball to Kent in the box in the first half was given offside. It never showed the linesman, it was just the reaction of a couple of players that made me think it but the commentary team wouldn't know either.

Correct mate. I think the long ball to Kent in the box in the first half was given offside. It never showed the linesman, it was just the reaction of a couple of players that made me think it but the commentary team wouldn't know either.
Yep. Same with the incident in the first half where Kamara felt he had kept the ball in play on the nearside touchline but it got called back for a throw-in.

It was obvious that first of all we were saying the ball didn't go out of play, and then we were claiming for our throw-in since their player got the last touch.

Tom meanwhile was going on about Gerrard claiming for a high boot against their player which was clearly not what had happened.

Tom is great and has been for a long time now.

His critics refer back to games from years ago in which he admittedly was unpolished. He has worked his arse off to improve his commentary and is excellent now.

I don't mind Tom but I wish he would stop saying high noon and the turnaround all the time :))

This idea he doesn’t do his homework on the opposition we are playing.last night he was rattling off which clubs some of the Willem players had played for previously.i think he’s really good in bringing KT into the commentary he’ll make an observation on the game he’s watching and say something along the lines “would I be right in suggesting that player a is playing a certain way”
I’ve definitely not got an issue with Tom, its just the in thing to give him pelte when you see the abuse he takes on Twitter.

If there is an FF bingo card, Tom Miller's commentary must be on there.

He's perfectly fine for a club ran production. I'm glad I don't have the "high standards" other posters have.

Having suffered Sutton, Butcher and other bores, give me a Rangers fan all day.

I’ve definitely not got an issue with Tom, its just the in thing to give him pelte when you see the abuse he takes on Twitter.
What I get hacked off apart from the abuse for one of our own, is people throw up phrases he’s used in commentary and it’s phrases in some cases he hasn’t used for years.he has improved the last few years and I think he’s improved as he has had more reliable co commentators rather than having to deal with Hugh Burns and Derek Johnstone.

Reactions: hms
it’s the same chat every week, the same chat about character, he really struggles to articulate what’s going on without going back to basics all the time. His answer is hoof it, get stuck in or put central defenders in midfield like last night. It gives me the shudders this guy is coaching our teams.

Just tape him every week and place replay instead of having him live.

I get everyone loves him for a few tackles but the likes of stevie smith etc are miles ahead.
Really can't agree but it's all about opinions.

I’ve been critical in the past of some of his commentary and lines that haven’t half came back to bite us on the arse

But tonight I thought he was decent so credit where it’s due.

Thomson as always, brilliant to listen to and great to hear him referring to us as “we”. He gets it.

To be fair, with his lines that come back to bite us, it's not like he said those lines on Sky or Premier Sports or whatever. It's a club channel and I think it's fine for the commentator to be part commentator part supporter.

If sad tims are recording the clips so they can use them later then that's up to them. Even when they are winning they are losers.

I personally think Tom does a great job.

I like wee Tom, a passionate Rangers man commentating on his team, what's not to like. The amount of folk venting their spleen about this is baffling.
The refs, compliance officer, the fat Japanese, I understand the anger but a Rangers supporter commentating on Rangers and throwing in a bit of daft patter, come tae phuck.

Not his biggest fan. Seems to have fallen into the trend a lot of commentators do by using odd phrases and descriptions of the game.

He also didn't work towards the role he has now and admits himself that he got his first gig covering Rangers games as Terry McGeadie wasn't used for Ian Fergusons testimonial.

'now, I had winged it in the studio, I had bluffed my it in media conferences and even got away with it as a trackside interviewer but 90 minutes of match commentary? That was something else entirely! However, long and short of it is I got away with it.'

As others have said on here, you either like him or don't - this thread will likely on entrench your position.

For me, being a rangers man/not being Walker, Sutton, or Hartson, doesn't justify it for me.

I’ve been critical in the past of some of his commentary and lines that haven’t half came back to bite us on the arse

Thomson as always, brilliant to listen to and great to hear him referring to us as “we”. He gets it.

I'd have Tom Miller every day of the week before Tyldsley, at least we know he's one of us.

Honestly can't understand why people get so wound up about Tom's commentary. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but tell me a commentator who is universally appreciated? End of the day, you can concentrate on the game and zone him out - or for those people also whinging about the piped-in crowd noises, just hit the mute button!

Not once listening to Tom's commentary have I ever thought or, indeed, screamed at the TV "would you just shut the fcuk up" as I have undoubtedly done with others - probably more with co-commentators.

Nor have I ever muted the sound and tuned in to the commentary from elsewhere.

Is he the best commentator in world football? No. He is, however, one of our own and, although slightly irritating at times with some bizarre statements, he does a decent job which most of us would love to do.

I do think he is better with a better, more knowledgeable, more tactically astute co-commentator alongside him. It's as if he raises his game when there's someone like KT beside him and cuts out some of the slightly off the wall comments.

Much prefer Tom with KT to Crocker and A Walker (think I've misspelt that ;))

Last edited:
What I get hacked off apart from the abuse for one of our own, is people throw up phrases he’s used in commentary and it’s phrases in some cases he hasn’t used for years.he has improved the last few years and I think he’s improved as he has had more reliable co commentators rather than having to deal with Hugh Burns and Derek Johnstone.

Rangers fans have always been fickle but these last few months have been outrageously bad from so called Rangers towards the players, official and now the media team.

I've said this before on here, love listening to Thomson and he is definitely one of us!

For RTV a partisan co-commentator is enough, I’d prefer a competent commentator.
How do you define competence in a commentator?
Not having a go simply curious.
Remember a commentator years ago, possibly Archie, saying that it was totally different for TV and radio. For radio you had to be far more descriptive considering the listener couldn't see the action - you didn't just require to say who was on the ball but elaborate on where abouts on the pitch he actually was and portray the urgency/threat via the tone of your voice. On TV, as the viewers could see such things, they were less important and looking at other issues, such as tactics with a co-commentator, or statistics became more relevant.

That being the case is getting the players names and a few relevant stats correct while also introducing your expert co-commentator on a regular basis sufficient to be considered competent?

Or do we expect more?

In his 1st game, he said Ryan Kent scored important goals for Celtic.

Competent :))
Interesting that you compare him favourably to a man that has had a very successful career commentating in the mainstream media because of one slip of the tongue.

I'm not a massive fan, he is okay. Makes some mistakes most games though where I wonder what it was he was seeing. Don't like to bash a guy that is trying his best and clearly bleeds blue.

I'd prefer it if the main commentator just called the action fairly rather than with the blue tinted specs on. I'm not saying to bash the players obviously but if someone makes a poor decision just say it was poor rather than trying to find an excuse.

KT is excellent and like others have said can see him having a great coaching or managerial career.

He was good. Noticed he toned down the nonsense, talking shite and going off in tangents.

As a respite from listening to all the ***s who would otherwise be commenting on our games, I thoroughly enjoy listening to him. He does fall prey to the Scottish parochial shite that infects too many in the Scottish media world but, as others have said, he's at least our Scottish parochial commentator.

Can we get away from Tom not being Crocker, Walker, Sutton et al meaning that he is a good commentator. He's not (in my opinion of course).

I know he has done that but was last night one of those times? I only ask as I didn't see audio commentary advertised anywhere.
Think most of our away games, which are televised here but available on RTV outside the UK, have the audio option for the UK so you may have a point.

Honestly can't understand why people get so wound up about Tom's commentary. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but tell me a commentator who is universally appreciated? End of the day, you can concentrate on the game and zone him out - or for those people also whinging about the piped-in crowd noises, just hit the mute button!
Some folk are never happy unless they’re moaning and complaining.

The stick some of our support give to a proper Rangers man bewilders me. We’ve a cheek to moan about former players having a dig at the people within our club when our support do it more than anyone
Well said my friend. Tom is a good bluenose. Who would I rather listen to Tom or Andy Walker. Only one winner.

He comes away with some ridiculous comments. We’d just gone 3-0 up and Barisic coasted past their RB and he proclaimed that we were attacking against their ‘stubborn defence’. What part of a defence that’s 3-0 down at home in a one off Euro qualifier is stubborn?

I’d prefer it if Clive was on all matches but Thomson is always a great listen.
That’s really scraping the barrel for a moan ffs.

I know he has done that but was last night one of those times? I only ask as I didn't see audio commentary advertised anywhere.

Every game on RangersTV has the option of Live Audio. Under normal circumstances it’s just Tom’s commentary without the moving pictures. At the present time Tom still commentates on every RangersTV game, home and away, but for the home games the Live Video is Tyldesley (when available) commentating with the moving pictures but Tom still commentates for the Live Audio feed. So, basically, Tom is doing a radio commentary every game.

I find his commentary okay he's a Bluenose who doesn't get carried away when it's their team.

Contrast that ad for Sky where that Moronic Bastard Tyler is screaming Shearer or Sala as goal footage plays through the advert.

Who wouldn't launch something at the television when it comes on.

Just be happy oor Toms not a screeching fuckwit

Back