These short goal kicks

We are more comfortable with the ball now , it’s a different mindset now and at the moment the defence have shown that we can trust them

We’ve been doing it for ages, we’ve scored numerous goals from it. We’ve scored more goals via goal kicks than any team in the league by some distance.

Go watch our second against Galatasaray, it’s a tactic to retain possession & create space as opposed to playing a percentage ball where we may give the opposition possession.

Strange thing to moan about, seeing as we’ve conceded 4 goals in 17 games & none of those have came through this.

Last edited:
Every te
That's a few games now we've been doing this, doesn't seem to matter that the opposition players are pressing and we still do it, looks like suicide to me and it's only a matter of time before it costs us.
Every team does it. The alternative is punting it up the park, and losing it 9 times out of 10. Also, we have had 14 clean sheets out of 17. Literally, it hasn't cost us at all.

It didn't do us any favours tbh as 50% of the time we ended up having to launch the ball aimlessly under pressure up the pitch.

Some teams look comfortable playing that way - we aren't one of them and it just invites pressure.

I've nothing per se against short g.k.s It's all part of playing out from the back.

But too often we take risks when we do it. My heart's in my mouth too often for my liking.

It helps to break the block in middle of the park. Not too good for the blood pressure at times though.

That's a few games now we've been doing this, doesn't seem to matter that the opposition players are pressing and we still do it, looks like suicide to me and it's only a matter of time before it costs us.
Settle down eh

It's a great tactic.
McGregor messed up on one occasion but normally it works well.
It's a bit like corners, how many goals come from corners, 5%. How's many times do we keep possession from goal kicks?

It isn't really, we gave up possession every time we did it tonight.

when was the last time we conceded directly from a short goal kick?

Football has moved on and playing it short encourages the opposition to step out of shape to press the ball which then allows us to pass through the lines. This is one of the major reasons why the rules were changed to allow teams to play the ball inside the penalty area.

We'll score more goals as a result of doing it than we'll concede, so lets not freak when we eventually do lose one

A few weeks, try years. No one really kicks long any more.

McGregor is beyond question our best goalkeeper, but he is not comfortable with these. I felt they were much better at it than us.

I get the fear when we are doing it, maybe it's just an age thing as every bugger is at it these days.

Any time McGregor went long this evening, Lech won the ball back and put them on the attack.

Your spot on when it comes to McGregor, great Goalie yes, however when it comes to the short passes inside the penalty box, we’ve been lucky to get away with quite a few with him. McLaughlin seems to be better at short passing within the pena box.

I've nothing per se against short g.k.s It's all part of playing out from the back.

But too often we take risks when we do it. My heart's in my mouth too often for my liking.

the risk is part of the tactic. If we played it short to Goldson who in turn humped it up the park as soon as the striker ran in his direction then McGregor might have as well have humped it up the park in the first place. The risk encourages them to step out of shape and it's about being quick enough to take advantage. They'll work on this every week in training.

It wouldn't have been any less tonight to be fair.
True. I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were discussing it (think it was Arsenal they were talking about) and apparently less goals are conceded playing it short rather than launching it and giving up possession. Doesn't make it any less nervy to watch though.

when was the last time we conceded directly from a short goal kick?

Football has moved on and playing it short encourages the opposition to step out of shape to press the ball which then allows us to pass through the lines. This is one of the major reasons why the rules were changed to allow teams to play the ball inside the penalty area.
I think it was Wes was the last time it cost us but almost every GK played out from the back then was a nervy affair. It has and can invite pressure on usand shagger never seems 100% comfortable doing it. A fair few times tonight my heart was in my mouth when we were doing it. Understand why we do it but not always confident we can pull it off.

Back