Better left backs in Britain than Borna Barisic?

WinkieWATP

I don’t think I’ve seen a better left back than Borna playing their football on these shores this season. I genuinely wouldn’t swap him for Man Us, Arsenals, Chelsea’s and do City even currently have one? Possibly Robertson?

He has became an absolute class act imo.

The guy is going to make us a barrel load of £££ when he leaves us, that's for sure.

Just hope it's not before we lift 55 in May.

He's better than Tierney was up here. Top 3 without a doubt. Only his age stops him going for mental money.If he was 21..he could pick anywhere.

A Croatian international with the assists he has and the quality of his end product has a minimum price, surely £15m plus ?

I think Barisic is amazing for us, best left back since Numan, however, two brilliant seasons in the Europa League group stage and against Scottish opposition doesn’t mean we can suddenly place him alongside Champions League winners! If he was 21/22 you could maybe argue that but most people of that quality would not be spending their prime years in Scotland. That is potentially great news for us if he stays though!

Quite a few good left backs around but I wouldn't be swapping Borna for many others

Robertson and probably Digne, Telles and Chilwell would be better. Tierney's a very good player but he isn't as good as Borna IMO and many down south would rank him amongst the better left backs in the league.

I think we can get another year or two out of Borna before moving him on for big money. Appearing in the champions league would keep us attractive to him while also adding more pounds to his price tag. I hope we can get there next year!

I think Barisic is amazing for us, best left back since Numan, however, two brilliant seasons in the Europa League group stage and against Scottish opposition doesn’t mean we can suddenly place him alongside Champions League winners! If he was 21/22 you could maybe argue that but most people of that quality would not be spending their prime years in Scotland. That is potentially great news for us if he stays though!

You can though? You're talking individual players?

That's how scouting works. A manager of a Champions League winning team will still look at individual players elsewhere and decide that they are better than the Champions League winner is his position in his squad.

That said, I'd put Robertson above him purely for where he plays and what he's won. But take him out that team and how good is he?

Internationally poor and didn't do anything up here that Borna isn't doing. In fact he did less.

But obviously he has pushed on so I'd have him above Borna but nobody else.

Borna is a class act and is more than a match for any in the premiership and the same goes for our captain Tav

You can measure players alongside Champions League winners.
Winning that trophy doesn't automatically make a player the best in his position.

I'm not comparing him to Robertson but football history is full of decent players winning trophies as part of great teams while genuine world class players win very little.

That's how scouting works. A manager of a Champions League winning team will still look at individual players elsewhere and decide that they are better than the Champions League winner is his position in his squad.

That said, I'd put Robertson above him purely for where he plays and what he's won. But take him out that team and how good is he?

Internationally poor and didn't do anything up here that Borna isn't doing. In fact he did less.

Andy Robertson was 20 years old when he left Scotland so its unfair to say he didn’t do anything at that age that Borna isn’t doing now in his prime years aged 27. Roberston joined Liverpool at 23 and has subsequently won the Premier League and Champions league. Scotland is just such a poor footballing team (yet getting results!) its hard to judge how much better he should be doing internationally.

I agree that Barisic’s performances for his comparative level of opposition probably surpass most left backs in the UK, however he is not regularly facing the best right sided midfielders and right backs in the country and Europe (Champions League level) which some left backs in England are doing. Maybe he can make the step up, if so I hope we get huge money for him, however I would actually be quite happy if most PL managers had the same view as me and he spends the next 5 years doing exceptional for us!

Borna’s 28 next month.

If the board have their business heads on they may want to sell after we secure 55 in the summer.
I think that'll be a decision for the board,but if you're Borna and you win the league, surely you'd want to stay for the CL where his class deserves. For him to leave us to a chasing pack EPL team I think I'd gutted as he seems quite settled and happy here.

I think that'll be a decision for the board,but if you're Borna and you win the league, surely you'd want to stay for the CL where his class deserves. For him to leave us to a chasing pack EPL team I think I'd gutted as he seems quite settled and happy here.

He does Jack, and there are younger players who may attract larger offers than a 28yo anyway.

It would need to be major to consider.

You can measure players alongside Champions League winners.
Winning that trophy doesn't automatically make a player the best in his position.

I'm not comparing him to Robertson but football history is full of decent players winning trophies as part of great teams while genuine world class players win very little.
Okay fair enough yes you can, however, Roberston in particular was mentioned in the OP. He is generally recognised as being in the top 3-5 left backs in the world.

I think Barisic is brilliant, dont get me wrong, absolutely one of my favourite players, by far the best left back in Scotland and I hope he stays with us for many season or makes huge transfer fee if we have to sell (far more than Leeds were quoting). However, he is playing in Scotland and the Europa Group stages. The claim that he is near enough at the same level of Robertson or would be a starter for top 4 teams in the PL is currently based on nothing more than his performances against teams of significantly lower quality than top PL and Champions league teams. We take the piss out of them across the city for saying that Ajer is wanted by Real Madrid/AC Milan or that Edouard is worth £50m based on nothing more than performances against those same level of teams...

Do you think he’s better than Barisic??
Barisic delivery blows Tierney out the water.

Tierney has almost 5 years on him so that has an affect on value etc.

Borna can get caught out defensively as well but that’s usually because we’ve him and Tav playing so high

He definitely could do a job for a contending EPL team so he’d be selling himself short to go for less IMO.

He’s doesn’t strike me as a “money chaser” but time will tell. 55, Europe and Croatia will definitely give him a platform.

Robertson is a fine player. Swap him and Borna and neither team would be any worse off. Liverpool fans adore Robertson. He is a very, very good player. I prefer Borna but i have blue tinted specs.

Even without my blue-tinted glasses, I still think he’s better than Tierney or the vastly over-rated Robertson.

I wonder if everyone on here who thinks Barisic is near enough or better than Robertson (which would effectively make Borna one of the top 5 left backs in the world), would be saying the same if Robertson supported us or had joined under McCoist?

There is a few better than him, the likes of Robertson, Digne, chilwell, telles and probably reguillon are better than him. He’s probably in the tier below them along with tierney and others I reckon.

Back