Ricky Foster saying Balogun went to ground too easy for the penalty

It's crazy the abuse Foster takes on here. He has been very positive about Rangers every time he has been on Sportscene. Here is what he actually said, and the context in which he said it.

ST: "Was this a penalty for you?"
RF: "Yeh I think it is. He drags him back."
ST: "It's in the soft category"
RF: "It is, but I think big andy..he gets the wrong side of him. So he just kind of puts his arms on him. He does go down easily but..
MS: "Soft or hard it's still a pen"
RF: "Yeh it's still a pen."
The stick he gets is sometimes worse that ex poets get crazy, he is like every person on these shows to stimulate the watchers and get their attention. As for his Rangers supporting wife constantly getting call a “cow “ ect is wrong, I wish some would save the energy they have to stand up against the real culprits like Sutton Hartson and the Tom Boyds of this world

It's crazy the abuse Foster takes on here. He has been very positive about Rangers every time he has been on Sportscene. Here is what he actually said, and the context in which he said it.

RF: "It is, but I think big andy..he gets the wrong side of him. So he just kind of puts his arms on him. He does go down easily but..

So although he agreed it may be "soft" he still affirmed that it was "still a penalty".

I should know better.

btw, was there any discussion about the Celtic penalty award, for a short-distance handball that couldn't have been avoided ?

He probably could have stayed on his feet but why should he? He was fouled in the box and wouldn't have got a penalty if he stayed on his feet

The tackle on Roofe was a stonewaller.

Don't think Foster said much wrong to be honest!

A bit of context and it doesn’t sound half as bad.

Thanks for that,
I haven’t seen the prog yet.
so, apart from Ricky being this and his wife being that,
there’s no really much to discuss. ;) :))

Not sure he actually had a pop as such at Tavs defending either.

What he said was that Tav has had his critics defensively and, without either agreeing or disagreeing with those critics, went on to reference Tavs stats saying that a right winger would be pleased with them never mind a right full back.

MS chipped in commenting that we don't actually do much defending these days.

The entire panel seemed to agree that the penalty was the correct decision and were, in fact, very complimentary towards us.

Whether Foster, without actually saying it, was inferring that there were still issues with Tavs defensive play I don't know but that's not how I saw it.

Still - if we need something to moan about "Ricky feckin' Foster Grrrrr!!!!"

:rolleyes:

RF verbatim "He's got that quality, the only criticism of his game is his defensive work"

Thats having a pop imo.
Wether he goes on to then say he us doing better than a right winger is beside the point I attempted to make.

All about opinions, and you are quite correct to have yours.

It was a penalty, no doubt. Thing is though, if the laws were applied correctly, then every 2nd or 3rd corner would result in a penalty. Tavernier would be in line for the Golden Boot.

Can't believe anyone would watch that & say it wasn't a penalty. An absolute stonewaller.

In the current climate penalties are given far too often but there was no doubt about that one whatsoever.

Went down too easily? My a**e.

He literally said on numerous occasions it was defo a pen, him and Stewart both said that, they were also very complimentary about us.

I dont get this need to appear to get offended by everything on here.

He also talked about the non penalty was a joke of a decision.

We moan that pundits dont give us praise, they give us praise and then some people feel they need to pretend said pundit is being negative.

We won, they said we actually deserved more goals. No issue.

I don’t remember them saying the penalty against Katic last season was soft and it was nowhere near as bad as that

He literally said on numerous occasions it was defo a pen, him and Stewart both said that, they were also very complimentary about us.

We moan that pundits dont give us praise, they give us praise and then some people feel they need to pretend said pundit is being negative.

Totally agree with this - unanimous in both being legitimate penalties. General praise and balanced, No complaints from me.

Literally just watched it & he says it’s a stone well foul & a penalty. Stevie Thompson gives him a leading question by saying “is it not on the soft category”.

Foster knows it’s a penalty, as he says.

It’s weird I don’t get it. Maybe it’s for validation from others.

Someone on the FF match thread said “we will get a very soft pk on our next appeal after that” when the Roofe decision was turned down.

It was a pk on Balogun for me but I can see why a multitude of defenders are saying it’s soft. I don’t get Thomson as a striker saying it’s soft, he should be saying it’s a clear pk given he was an attacking player and would have gone down himself in the same circumstances.

I thought as soon as the ref blew for the pen that he was feeling grateful for the opportunity to put right his howler of a decision on the Roofe incident. Doubt he would have given it otherwise. Can only presume he saw a replay of the Roofe 'pen' at half-time.

Facts and FF don't often go hand in hand

Someone on the FF match thread said “we will get a very soft pk on our next appeal after that” when the Roofe decision was turned down.

It was a pk on Balogun for me but I can see why a multitude of defenders are saying it’s soft. I don’t get Thomson as a striker saying it’s soft, he should be saying it’s a clear pk given he was an attacking player and would have gone down himself in the same circumstances.
That type of foul happens in every game at set pieces.I suspect he was told at half time he had made a James lady's front bottom of himself on the Roofe decision and the Balogun one was trying to right the wrong
Still think it was a definite penalty and the ref( and the tv cameras) was perfectly placed to see it

I would have been disappointed if balogun didnt go down ,as soon as a CB has his arms all over you inside the box you go down ,is it soft ? Yes but its still a pen

I said on another thread that over the seasons Considine has got away with that particular type of challenge more than a few times against us. If we had VAR it would be a penalty every time. You simply cannot drag a player down inside the box and expect the referee to ignore it.

Tell you what, Leon didn't even claim for the penalty as the ref already knew it was! As for soft? There is no such thing, it either is or it is not!

That type of foul happens in every game at set pieces.I suspect he was told at half time he had made a James lady's front bottom of himself on the Roofe decision and the Balogun one was trying to right the wrong
Still think it was a definite penalty and the ref( and the tv cameras) was perfectly placed to see it
More likely, Clancy saying, at half time, well done on not giving that stonewaller penalty. Perhaps the referee has more integrity than Clancy, which is not too difficult. There was another denied when the same defender did the same thing again to Balogun later in the game.

I want to know why this penalty is soft yet the one that Celtic got for Katic on Julien in December was a stonewaller? Identical in my opinion.

I don’t remember them saying the penalty against Katic last season was soft and it was nowhere near as bad as that
They never really said it was soft, they were asked if it was soft.
Both said it doesn't matter coz it was still a certain penalty.

If someone grabs you round the shoulders when you're trying to run & continues even more pressure after a couple of steps - it seems to me quite reasonable you're going to lose your footing at some stage

It also happened right in front of the ref's field of vision- if he hadn't given a penalty it would have been a total fiasco imo

All this 'went down too easily' - 'soft' or not - is even more of a fiasco

I'm glad to say these ridiculous comments are completely irrelevant-
A penalty was the correct decision & our captain efficiently converted it

I've just watched Sportscene and the thread title isn't really representative of the way the discussion went. Both Foster and Ginger Pubes were content that the penalty was correctly awarded.

RF verbatim "He's got that quality, the only criticism of his game is his defensive work"

Thats having a pop imo.
Wether he goes on to then say he us doing better than a right winger is beside the point I attempted to make.

All about opinions, and you are quite correct to have yours.
You missed the word "possibly" from your verbatim statement and the fact that he then went on to say that given other facts it could be considered "unfair".

As you say we all have our opinion and, in this particular instance, I didn't perceive any of the comments as overly negative.

I could, of course, have misinterpreted RF's comments. I've been wrong before (more than once) and I'm pretty sure I will be again :))

Agreed mate. I think he’s been really good so far and very positive about us without losing objectivity.

Because she holds different political views from you she can’t support the same team?
Bollocks

Yeah, that’s where views and behaviours start to border on bigotry which I believe is something the club desperately wish to eradicate. It’s a shame every thread like this has to be taken over by the uber staunch unionists. I’ll likely never vote SNP in my puff but unlike many I can live with the idea that other bears may not share my personal political beliefs.

He looks like he needs a blood transfusion or maybe wee Amy is sucking it out of him.
HkFW8Rn.gif

I said on another thread that over the seasons Considine has got away with that particular type of challenge more than a few times against us. If we had VAR it would be a penalty every time. You simply cannot drag a player down inside the box and expect the referee to ignore it.

Morelos has been yellow carded twice by Clancy in the last two seasons for incidents in the box where Considine pulled him to the ground Jim.

Back