MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
I can't say we were cruising we were under cosh for a lot of the game.

Disappointing we let them get a point however I would have taken that
before the game, best team we'll play this season.

We move one and are on the brink of qualification. A very good start to the group. Albeit, very disappointing to lose the lead twice against them.

So hard to know what to make of that. Lack of midfield options on the bench cost us. Even then surely we could have brought on Itten to hold it up towards the end

Really disappointed with again a drew against Champions League team. I thought we were sloppy in defence tonight which was strange.
Still unbeaten in 22 games we will probably go through next week. We won't play a better team until we get out this group. Are we top or 2nd. I thought we'd be top as we've a better head to head v Benfica.
I fancy us strongly to get through v Stand Ard next Thursday

Can't be too despondent....again!!
The players failed to manage the game in Benfica, Gerrard failed to manage it at Ibrox. Substitutions were there to be made, to rest Kent particularly, they could also be used to break up the play when we were under pressure.
10 goals in two games with Portugals finest isn't the end of the world.
Well done Rangers.

I'd have taken a draw at the start of the game, disappointed at the result similar to the game in Portugal but a couple of draws or a win sees us through.

Standard Liege snatching a late win really helps us out. Beat them and we're through, get a draw and we're probably through given how I fully expect Benfica to scud Lech Poznan at home.

Says a lot that we're dissapointed inted with 2 draws with benfica.

I don't want to point fingers at refs but how they haven't seen that handball I'll l never know.

Still, we should be seeing out the game.

A draw isn’t a bad result still unbeaten but throwing away a two goal lead twice is a sickner .
Thought we looked a big leggy in the last 15 so we could have used the subs

Disappointed but plenty positives in that for me Kent is back on form and roofe just keeps getting better and will be massive for us. Its a good wake up call as well as it keeps our feet on the ground and will be a slight wake up call Gerrard will be drumming that into the players.

We should have made subs a minute or two after we scored our second just to slow the game down.

Incidentally how many subs did they make tonight I'm sure I counted 6?

Two sets of two subs then brought on a single for the big striker and then another a couple of minutes before the ref blew up?

thats a myth! What game were you watching?
What game did you watch ? We’re pushing, chasing and going back to front and back again. for 90 mins, the players are giving everything. It’s no coincidence the game changed after their subs.
We needed fresh legs and the game broken up, exactly like the game in Lisbon.
make the subs after the 1st tonight and 2nd in Lisbon and we win both games

Really poor losing 2 goals again but I take solace in the fact Benfica have spent upwards of €100m, are a champions league calibre team and we have managed to be in front of them in both ties even if we lose sloppy goals, I am proud that we have at least equalled them which shows how far we have come

BT Sport get it wrong just like last time - we are top because we have won the head to head v Benfica on away goals. If we finish with the same points, we win the group Standard winning with 10 men is also great for us.

Really, really silly bit of game management with the lack of subs. The bench doesn't just become available when we're 3-0 up, it's there to be utilised and manage the match all the way through.

Our first 11 and tactics are brilliant this season, but this is still the one weakness left.

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
Sniff sniff

We use no subs, Benfica use 4. Their goals come in 78 and 81 minutes. Bad game management.
I wouldn’t say mis management it is simply managing player time. And when the %^*& did playing 90 minutes become an issue ya hunk

Absolutely gutted, I can't believe that it happened again. However, it shows how far we have come when it is disappointing to draw with a quality team like Benfica.

Last edited:
Would have taken 8 points from 12 at this point but got to be disappointed in the manner in which we’re not sitting with 12 points right now. Really disappointing but Benfica are a very good team.

Benfica must’ve used all their subs and we used none. Can’t believe Gerrard made the same mistake again, it was crying out for a change. Still 8 points after 4 games, I’d have taken that.

The midfield injuries cost us.

They had to do a power of work to get us into the position we were in.

Would have been great to have Jack, Aribo and Zungu on the bench but hey ho it's great to go toe to toe with a top team like Benfica and draw 5 each over 2 games with them.

Rather that than losing 8-2 to Sparta Prague lol

Doesn’t feel like a defeat to me. Feels like a great point after a quality side scored 2 very good goals. We were really unlucky with the bounce off Tav for the first.

Delighted with this overall. Anyone seriously complaining needs to take a look at themselves.

My only slight question is why we didn’t take Kent off after 75/80 mins when he was clearly absolutely done. Would’ve given us a bit more in attack with Barker on for the last 15.

I’m sorry but Gerrard let his players down today.

That was the hardest match we’ve had all season, blowing out our arse at 75min and no subs?!

Someone explain that to me?
He’s done it before. He almost seems to get caught up in the emotion of the match. Hopefully that doesn’t take too much of a toll on a few of our team.

8 points and unbeaten after 4 games. That's a brilliant return that we'd all have been happy with when the group was drawn.

Benfica really upped it in the second half and a point each was a fair result. They are a champions league team and we've shown that we're more than capable of competing at that level. No subs was surprising but he was maybe pushing them hard in the knowledge that some will be getting a rest at the weekend.

Still a pleasing Thursday evening's football

Inability to make changes has cost us again. 2 up make a change, freshen it up. Ok no Jack or Aribo available but 90 mins with no subs...

We should win next week but these last 2 games gave been so frustrating the last 10 mins. Again feels like a loss.

Calm the %^*& down.

Frustrating, yes.

Dissapointing, a little.

But we're going toe to toe with teams with far more quality than us. We've found the limit of our level and it's matching a team with a true CL pedigree.

Fresh legs would have helped, but with no Jack, Zungu or Aribo who do we bring on?

I'm proud of them, and our European record, this performance doesn't change that.

Back