What is Morelos all about?

Baxter Blue

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.

The 1st goal was typical of the different role he’s been playing. Yeah, not by dropping deep, but nodding it back for Kent in the better position.

Last season he would’ve just stuck the nut on that and hoped for the best.

He’s doing more to bring chances for others now.

He’s had a good season all round. Totally different style from last year.
It's been mixed at best mate, not entirely his fault though.

He's being asked to play a role that isn't suited to his strengths, does well sometimes and is also capable of being close to awful

Still time for him to make it a good one though, hope he does.

All players misplace passes but Alfredo's go under the microscope more. He played well, set up Kent for the first goal. Kent should have returned the favour later in the game with his second header.

Kept on moving and creating space. I do wish we would find him more infront of goal rather than go wide.

His overall team performances this season have been incredible. The work he does for others is why we are where we are. I hate the way he gets judged on goals constantly. He occupies a whole defence on his own, and by dropping in deep creates the space for the likes of Kent & Roofe to hit that penalty box.

And yet the petty jibes and the sniping were still present from the usual suspects in the match thread. Had another cracking game today and his cushioned header for the opener was lovely.
You call it petty jibes but you’re blinkered if you think Alfie’s had a great season. He’s struggled in a lot of games, been off the pace and been pretty inconsistent has Ryan Kent.
He was on it today and at Aberdeen but was poor against Motherwell.
He’s still our best front man but we need more performances like today from Alfie in the run in.

I'm a big fan of Alfredo.

I think he has plenty of ability with the football, and is an absolute powerhouse in and out of possession.

He is always a threat on the pitch, and gives his opponents a torrid time.

He gave a couple of bad passes today that led to attacks from county but after the second one he was back defending and picked the ball up at our penalty area and played an exquisite pass across the park that took us on the front foot again. He never lets the head go down and imo is a better all round player for us this season. Hope it's him who scores the goal that clinches the league.

Some judge him on his numbers.

His all round game has evolved and developed this season, he’s also become more mature and better disciplined.

He is absolutely vital to our play and Gerrard, his back room staff and the players must be absolutely delighted with the way Morelos has adjusted to the role(s) within the team.

I still wouldn’t take £16m for Morelos. We’ve yet to see the Kent, Roofe and Morelos trio all fit and fully on form.

Last few weeks he’s certainly found his form, again.

Last edited:
He can best be described as splits opinions their is a certain minority who believe he is only there to score goals which has been his main role previously.
I personally think he is developing into the role he now plays as part of the front 3 exceptionally well his movement and ability to drag defenders all over is allowing others players to get in to goal scoring positions

He’s been brilliant this season, an absolute handful. One thing he could work on is his first touch when in the middle of the park. If he masters that we’re looking at a world class player.

Agree Bada, and that wee soft finish he scored in Gibraltar ( Bang, Bang, Bang ) needs to be worked on to be used more frequently.

A vital part of our jigsaw and, despite the criticism from many, is still Gerrard’s first choice striker for that reason.

He can best be described as splits opinions their is a certain minority who believe he is only there to score goals which has been his main role previously.
I personally think he is developing into the role he now plays as part of the front 3 exceptionally well his movement and ability to drag defenders all over is allowing others players to get in to goal scoring positions

Very noticeable the opinions of such as Kevin Thomson & Neil McCann on him.

This is mainly for those who don’t grasp what Alfie is all about or doesn’t know their football.
Today was a great example that he is not all about scoring goals.
The work rate he puts in to draw players away for goals to be created and score is fantastic and many can’t see the ground work he does.
This is why Gerrard sticks by him,not just for the goals he scores but how the opposition find him as an absolute nightmare to play against.
However when he scores,it is very special. What would we do if we never had that cheeky wee smile when he lifts that trophy.It will be photos that will live with us forever.
Nice words mate my biggest gripe with supporters is strikers ,either it be 6 yard box poacher or the spectacular goal,alfies assists and his taking defenders out has been another part of his game this season,yes I love it when he scores but he is a much better all round player this season,I remember watching that big chunt benzema,destroy us at Ibrox with Lyon,just not scoring but his general all round contribution to the team was on another level that night (sadly)

Played well, some really good link up play, good assist & pressing to win the penalty.

The swivel & finish was very nice, usually that takes a nick into the corner.

Gave the ball away on occasion, 7/10.

You call it petty jibes but you’re blinkered if you think Alfie’s had a great season. He’s struggled in a lot of games, been off the pace and been pretty inconsistent has Ryan Kent.
He was on it today and at Aberdeen but was poor against Motherwell.
He’s still our best front man but we need more performances like today from Alfie in the run in.

I was commenting on his performance today and the match thread not his season overall.

Exactly what I was trying to type mate ,nail on head

The highlight of his play, for me anyway, was in the first half and after he played a stray pass. He tracked back till the ball was ours again. His work rate, and his overall effort for the team is a very big part of his game; again, he proved that today.

He gave a couple of bad passes today that led to attacks from county but after the second one he was back defending and picked the ball up at our penalty area and played an exquisite pass across the park that took us on the front foot again. He never lets the head go down and imo is a better all round player for us this season. Hope it's him who scores the goal that clinches the league.

That was some ball from him. Ballsy to try it! B-D

He generally keeps two central defenders occupied creating space for others to burst forward.

Starts at Easter Road again, no question.

Last edited:
Agree Bada, and that wee soft finish he scored in Gibraltar ( Bang, Bang, Bang ) needs to be worked on to be used more frequently.

A vital part of our jigsaw and, despite the criticism from many, is still Gerrard’s first choice striker for that reason.
Team game Grigo, and if I’m not mistaken we have +58 goals to the tramps +30. Our Columbian buffalo has played a huge part in our season. One day closer to 55 B-D

Back