Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

Article in the Times today re Gordon Neely. A former top flight footballer who was a youth player at Ibrox has came forward to say he was repeatedly abused in the managers office at Ibrox.

Does the team know about this, it certainly rocks you when you are confronted by things such as this when it is alleged to have happened at your own club.

Article in the Times today re Gordon Neely. A former top flight footballer who was a youth player at Ibrox has came forward to say he was repeatedly abused in the managers office at Ibrox.

Does the team know about this, it certainly rocks you when you are confronted by things such as this when it is alleged to have happened at your own club.
I think this story appeared a while back, reading it again he says .....
" “Looking back now I’m so glad I had the guts to leave when I did,” he said. “Nobody from Rangers ever asked me why I was leaving or if there was anything they could do to change my mind.”
What could Rangers know if nobody told them also leaving Rangers as a youngster in the years he is talking about wouldn't be that usual I think considering the players Rangers where signing at that time.

Neely was a scout....I doubt very much he had any access to the managers office.

" “Looking back now I’m so glad I had the guts to leave when I did,” he said. “Nobody from Rangers ever asked me why I was leaving or if there was anything they could do to change my mind.”
What could Rangers know if nobody told them also leaving Rangers as a youngster in the years he is talking about wouldn't be that usual I think considering the players Rangers where signing at that time.
I’m calling bullshit on this

I’m calling bullshit on this story as well. We’ve got a faceless accusation here, sensationalised by the “former professional” headline.

Abuse has no place in football or life in general, but if neely was such a prolific paedophile as been so claimed, why hasn’t this person come forward with his claims sooner? Is this more sensationalist nonsense or the truth?

I suspect it’s the former to be honest, quite possibly someone looking to twist a knife in to rangers back as per usual.

The sfa report wanted to dive in and make neely and rangers look worse than the confirmed and well known ring going on at the east end coup, they chose to ignore the many convicted criminals that committed offences there, and decided to make their move on rangers.

Rangers not apologising is abysmal behaviour, and even if it was just to appease people for now they should be showing some contrition here. But this thing has taken the heat off the east end club and their well known and multi convicted criminal ring. Some people would do well to remember this fact.

The managers office up The marble staircase? That one? No reason for a scout and a youth team player to be anywhere near that location. If so ,neely must have been brazen as %^*& to attempt anything there.

It will be interesting if the victim is asked to describe exactly what the managers room looked like ?

Nevertheless, we would never be hypocritical with respect to any abuse on any player.

I really hope Rangers suggest a totally independant inquiry & offer 100% support to it, as well as to every victim.

The managers office up The marble staircase? That one? No reason for a scout and a youth team player to be anywhere near that location. If so ,neely must have been brazen as %^*& to attempt anything there.
He wouldn’t have been anywhere near that office. There might have been an office for himself downstairs or the old managers office that was outside the tunnel entrance but I would also doubt a) that was there back then, and b) he wouldn’t have been near that either. I have got zero doubt that there’s a few tall tales about this.

It will be interesting if the victim is asked to describe exactly what the managers room looked like ?

Nevertheless, we would never be hypocritical with respect to any abuse on any player.

I really hope Rangers suggest a totally independant i quirky offer 100% support to it, as well as to every victim.
Don't think he said managers office as in the one upstairs, he said a office downstairs that the manager sometimes used. ie a store room but an ex managers office sounds better

Abuse has no place in football or life in general, but if neely was such a prolific paedophile as been so claimed, why hasn’t this person come forward with his claims sooner? Is this more sensationalist nonsense or the truth?
Mate, if you have followed this thread you will know there could be all manner of reasons why a victim does not speak out for years.

We can't be seen to be hiding behind any excuses.if our club did have an employee commit these crimes and it can be proven as such,then we should be standing up and doing the honourable thing here in regards to any victims.
We can't be solely hunting and vilifying one club in the east end,even though the world knows their despicable history,without addressing our own issue.

Mate, if you have followed this thread you will know there could be all manner of reasons why a victim does not speak out for years.
I understand why there’s anonymity, I’ve followed this thread for a long time so I do get it, my point is that there’s this salacious gossip about managers offices and ex pro players etc all coming to the fore just after a whitewash report that sweeps aside almost all of the offenders over east end way.

End of the day, whiles I don’t doubt there’s been abuse where this neely guy goes, and I also don’t doubt that it’s happened at the club, something just doesn’t sit right with me.

Since the review was released it’s reinforced that we have no communication with the Scottish press. For decades there has been a ring operating at that club and certain journalists have raised their heads from the sewer to mention the big bad Rangers.
Some of these journalists haven’t printed anything before on the subject but feel the need to comment when Rangers are mentioned? Spiers for example. A complete irrelevance. There’s enough threads on him in here, so I won’t continue on him.
Most of the press in Scotland are the same as the people that govern this country. Celtic apologists.
Every victim deserves justice no matter what club, but there’s still more on Celtic and not one of these journalists have the balls to take Celtic on. We know this as they never replied to us 2 years ago.
Spotlight will continue to uncover more and hand it to the respected journalists and authorities.
We definitely have more to come on Celtic and we definitely know certain journalists will try to deflect it onto other clubs. Let’s settle it and have a full independent inquiry and get everything out in the open. Then watch these certain journalists climb back into the sewer when the truth comes out on their beloved club.

An inquiry is meant to investigate allegations find facts and bring clarity. This one has brought only opaqueness designed to cover up the truth. We can’t dismiss these accusations but at the same time Rangers can’t just follow them blindly. They need an inquiry that has one purpose only to get justice for victims, until then we can’t allow ourselves to be dragged into this SFA lead perversion.

I’m calling bullshit on this story as well. We’ve got a faceless accusation here, sensationalised by the “former professional” headline.

I suspect it’s the former to be honest, quite possibly someone looking to twist a knife in to Rangers back as per usual.

The sfa report wanted to dive in and make neely and Rangers look worse than the confirmed and well known ring going on at the east end coup, they chose to ignore the many convicted criminals that committed offences there, and decided to make their move on Rangers.

Rangers not apologising is abysmal behaviour, and even if it was just to appease people for now they should be showing some contrition here. But this thing has taken the heat off the east end club and their well known and multi convicted criminal ring. Some people would do well to remember this fact.
We can’t just apologise for unproven incidents because that would be accepting responsibility to baseless accusations. If proven then I hope we act properly.

Rangers did the right thing in sacking Neely as soon as a complaint was made. But the fact he was employed at Ibrox for a time Rangers should issue an apology for any abuse he committed. Why have we not done this ?

Rangers did the right thing in sacking Neely as soon as a complaint was made. But the fact he was employed at Ibrox for a time Rangers should issue an apology for any abuse he committed. Why have we not done this ?

If we apologize then we are admitting that it happened. One thing we have learned from the papes is to say nothing until evidence is shown as truth. They have a compliant media under their thumbs including the BBC while we don't talk to the MSM in Scotland and I would rather not talk to them than let them publish their version of truth. They will be found out eventually as were both Pravda and the Deutsche Beobachter.

We can’t just apologise for unproven incidents because that would be accepting responsibility to baseless accusations. If proven then I hope we act properly.
I agree fully with what your saying, I think that’s what I’m trying to get at, but I would have like rangers to acknowledged the report at least and maybe said something at a later date, because what we are finding now is people coming out on the attack and that’s not a good look for the club. I do agree that we cant just start apologising for something just because there’s a bloodlust for it though.

Last edited:

We do need to be careful on this, for example Gordon Woods only came forward in the last two years.

We don’t want to be hypocrites.

Despite that, I do think that Paulski has made valid points that should be seriously given consideration.

Perhaps the Club should be approaching a well respected charity to carry out an internal investigation into what might have happened over the past 30+ years. Say Dr Barnardo’s for example. A charity that has experience in the CSA field. That can help victims overcome any shyness or embarrassment to come and let their voice be heard. That can weed out compo merchants. When the Club knows the actual extent of the problem then they can deal with it

We can't be seen to be hiding behind any excuses.if our club did have an employee commit these crimes and it can be proven as such,then we should be standing up and doing the honourable thing here in regards to any victims.
We can't be solely hunting and vilifying one club in the east end,even though the world knows their despicable history,without addressing our own issue.
Agree totally with that, but anything being said about any club needs to be proven whether it be Thistle, Motherwell etc just because it's Rangers doesn't mean its, true if Rangers are founded to be in the wrong then I hope they do the right thing

Since the review was released it’s reinforced that we have no communication with the Scottish press. For decades there has been a ring operating at that club and certain journalists have raised their heads from the sewer to mention the big bad Rangers.
Some of these journalists haven’t printed anything before on the subject but feel the need to comment when Rangers are mentioned? Spiers for example. A complete irrelevance. There’s enough threads on him in here, so I won’t continue on him.
Most of the press in Scotland are the same as the people that govern this country. Celtic apologists.
Every victim deserves justice no matter what club, but there’s still more on Celtic and not one of these journalists have the balls to take Celtic on. We know this as they never replied to us 2 years ago.
Spotlight will continue to uncover more and hand it to the respected journalists and authorities.
We definitely have more to come on Celtic and we definitely know certain journalists will try to deflect it onto other clubs. Let’s settle it and have a full independent inquiry and get everything out in the open. Then watch these certain journalists climb back into the sewer when the truth comes out on their beloved club.

That the report is a disgrace goes without saying. Most decent folk looking at it will feel deeply for the victims and their families, no matter where the abuse took place.

I can’t help but feel that the report has been designed in order to dissuade those groups which are very openly supporting the victims through this shameful ordeal. Perhaps Martin Henry and his team are of the view that those supportive groups are all of a Rangers persuasion, thereby maybe now less likely to keep going in case it backfires.

If that is their intention, I strongly suspect this will backfire on them with a vengeance.

And if they don't do it hopefully the courts will do it

Other than meetings with the manager regarding players he had no reason to be up there

Other than meetings with the manager regarding players he had no reason to be up there
ive said earlier in this thread mate he says it wasn't The Managers Office upstairs, it was an office downstairs that The Manager sometimes used. As I also said prob a store room of sorts but a Managers Room sounds better

It’s been a horrible couple of weeks for the victims and families.
An SFA review that basically looks half finished and the news that Dan Gordon’s piece won’t be covering the biggest paedo ring ever in world sport.
Our heart goes out to each and everyone of these victims as they thought that Dan’s piece would show the world. Let’s not forget that Adrian Goldberg is still on this, and believe us he is going after Celtic.
Documentaries will not bring that club to justice. The courts will. And this might start sooner than we all think.

Why should Rangers issue an apology at the behest of the corrupt SFA?

Make no bones about it, this whole public apology pish is designed to place all clubs in the same situation, and to attempt to move on, so that Celtic's crimes are mitigated and we have drawn a line under the sordid affair.

It is cynical attempt to portray other clubs on the same planet as Celtic. Play up the circumstances at all other clubs and play down Celtic's.

Fvck their apology. If some boys are due a private expression of sorrow and regret for incidents that are likely to have happened, then that is fine.

Edit - For clarity, if they were likely to have happened.

Last edited:
ive said earlier in this thread mate he says it wasn't The Managers Office upstairs, it was an office downstairs that The Manager sometimes used. As I also said prob a store room of sorts but a Managers Room sounds better

The way it's written it sounds like the managers office I will concede that Neely may have had use of an office somewhere

Perhaps the Club should be approaching a well respected charity to carry out an internal investigation into what might have happened over the past 30+ years. Say Dr Barnardo’s for example. A charity that has experience in the CSA field. That can help victims overcome any shyness or embarrassment to come and let their voice be heard. That can weed out compo merchants. When the Club knows the actual extent of the problem then they can deal with it

There are few without issues including Bernardos

Neely was a scout....I doubt very much he had any access to the managers office.
Just read the article which was sent to me by my son in law , who sadly, is a mockit. That was the first thing that jumped out at me, he would be nowhere near the managers office BB.
I thought that was only used on certain occasions and basically remained closed to all and sundry.

Just seen JF1690 post explaining this.

The way it's written it sounds like the managers office I will concede that Neely may have had use of an office somewhere
I'm surprised that Marc Horne has dramatised it this way, he had gained a healthy respect in his writing and findings into the abuse in Scottish football.

Is there any live cases at Hibs with Neely? The silence on that is strange as quite a lot of the scums peados were operating in the East of Scotland? Has this report prompted any more victims to come forward with confidence to be heard rather than living in silence.

Apologies if I've picked up the wording wrongly. I was just responding to what I saw written . I don't want to divert this thread from the main focus. Justice for victims and their loved ones.

Is there any live cases at Hibs with Neely? The silence on that is strange as quite a lot of the scums peados were operating in the East of Scotland? Has this report prompted any more victims to come forward with confidence to be heard rather than living in silence.
Think Neely's could span best part of 20 years

You do know that DrBarnardos had a beast ring within its charity and a top employee was jailed if I remember right

Back