Our best striker since Mccoist?

Best striker since Mccoist?

• Total voters
Pre injury Mols on magic and ability. Followed by Prso. Jelavic was great by the way but played in a great Walter team, Prso carried his team mates on his back a lot of the time.

I actually felt Cousin was very overrated, cracking business though as we sold him for £2m profit at the age of 30.

I feel he gets an awful lot of romanticism because of what he could do (on occasion) but in my opinion we only really seen that against Lyon and Celtic.

I actually thought Darcheville was a more consistent player to be honest.

If he was more consistent he’d absolutely be in the conversation, but scored nowhere near enough goals and didn’t show his best anywhere
I actually felt Cousin was very overrated, cracking business though as we sold him for £2m profit at the age of 30.

I feel he gets an awful lot of romanticism because of what he could do (on occasion) but in my opinion we only really seen that against Lyon and Celtic.

If he was more consistent he’d absolutely be in the conversation, but didn’t score enough goals and didn’t show his best anywhere near enough for me.
As I said he didn’t do enough but when he did he was superb. I was just throwing his name into the hat to see what other people thought of him.
I just wonder what might have been if he hadn’t got himself sent off in the semi final in 2008. I do believe he just might have been the difference

I would say our best 'McCoist' type of striker since McCoist would be Boyd.
I would argue Boyd was nothing like the kind of striker McCoist was, except they both scored a lot of goals.
Jelavic was far more the type of centre forward McCoist was. Good on the ball, deceptively strong, could lead the line or play off another striker, came good in big games, could see a pass, etc.

The one and only part of McCoist's all round game that was similar to Boyd was their ability to find space in the 6 yard box to score loads of goals.

If he was more consistent he’d absolutely be in the conversation, but didn’t score enough goals and didn’t show his best anywhere near enough for me.
On his day unplayable sadly there wasn’t as many as we’d have liked, you’re correct Darchville was more consistent.

My biggest regret is Cousins stupidity to get a red card in the semi final, he did seem to thrive on the bigger games not saying we’d have beat Zenit but on his day he had the ability to bully defenders, it’s something we’ll never know sadly

I would argue Boyd was nothing like the kind of striker McCoist was, except they both scored a lot of goals.
Jelavic was far more the type of centre forward McCoist was. Good on the ball, deceptively strong, could lead the line or play off another striker, came good in big games, could see a pass, etc.

The one and only part of McCoist's all round game that was similar to Boyd was their ability to find space in the 6 yard box to score loads of goals.
I think people forget McCoist was much more than a poacher, he was a very good footballer that could hold it up and link up play

My honest opinion is about couldn’t have laced Coistys boots. A far better footballer than ever I’ve credit for imho

Mols between July and the start of Nov, 1999, is still the man. For me.

Alfie runs him a close, very close second.

His personal strength in having to cope with this sh1thole called Scotland also speaks volumes about him.

You can't really put a player up there on 4 months performance if you want to do that Negri eclipses Mols. Mols was a tragedy a case of what might have been but it was what it was.

Technically I'd put Jelavic up there in terms of ability and performing at the top level. Alfie has been blighted by poor discipline.

Mols

But, in truth, nobody has even come close to getting us the goals haul that Super did, especially against the mentally challengeds

I think people forgot how good Prso was.
Good player like, loved his goal from big Marv playing it over the top, think my dad near enough upper cutted me celebrating. Wasn’t a great season but that was a high point early on and Ibrox was bouncing

You can't really put a player up there on 4 months performance if you want to do that Negri eclipses Mols. Mols was a tragedy a case of what might have been but it was what it was.

Technically I'd put Jelavic up there in terms of ability and performing at the top level. Alfie has been blighted by poor discipline.
Mols was well on the road to being one of the greatest Rangers player most of us had ever seen though. He was sensational.

I would still put that defeat in Munich right up in the best Rangers performances I’ve ever seen. We should have battered them

Mols was well on the road to being one of the greatest Rangers player most of us had ever seen though. He was sensational.

I would still put that defeat in Munich right up in the best Rangers performances I’ve ever seen. We should have battered them
And you couldn't say that of Negri? Mols looked special but it wasn't to be. I don't have a lot of time for what might have beens....and talking up a defeat however brave isn't for me...we battered Celtic in the LC final...who gives a %^*&.

Mols was better than Jelavic technically. Regardless of how long we had him at his best the idea Negri comes close is laughable tbh

Thats not true at all. Boyds record in Europe was atrocious. Infact he was frequently dropped for the games. Ive never seen Boyd do what Alfies just done to a team in Europe. Nevermind the fact Alfies our record all time scorer in Europe.

I do love Boyd, but he was a poacher. A damn good one but nowhere near Alfies all round game on his day.

How many medals does Alfie have compared to Boyd?

Mols was better than Jelavic technically. Regardless of how long we had him at his best the idea Negri comes close is laughable tbh
Well we are talking strikers ....so as much as Ally had good ability he didn't look as technically good as Mols. Does that make Mols our greatest ever striker?

Negri looked like a machine every bit as good as Mols in terms of being effective.....he blew up, Mols got injured...two tales of what might have been.

Incredible scoring record in that first half of his first season, but Michael Mols pre injury was something else.

He absolutely destroyed the Parma, Bayern Munich and PSV defences in that first season.
That's not the same argument though is it....I thought it was a case of who was our best striker post Ally?
Measuring that against a golden few months say against a Boyd type return is apples and oranges.

Well we are talking strikers ....so as much as Ally had good ability he didn't look as technically good as Mols. Does that make Mols our greatest ever striker?

Negri looked like a machine every bit as good as Mols in terms of being effective.....he blew up, Mols got injured...two tales of what might have been.
I’m a Mols fan boy mate. So he’s our best pre injury since Ally haha

Best goalscorer and my favourite post 9IAR era player is Boyd. I know he’s not the best player, but I love poachers. Part used to do my nut in running all over the park and scoring hardly any goals.

Best forward? I’d say the Buffalo is the best we’ve had since Hateley.

That's not the same argument though is it....I thought it was a case of who was our best striker post Ally?
Measuring that against a golden few months say against a Boyd type return is apples and oranges.

Fair point.

If you're looking at consistent longevity, then Kenny Miller definitely comes into play.

With regards to Mols, he's the best striker I've seen at his peak with us.

I'm too young to have seen the very best of Ally.

Medals aren’t a direct indicator of how good a player is mate.

Morelos is a much better footballer than Boyd, you could even argue Miller was a better all round striker than Boyd.

I’m not really arguing just being a bit facetious. I do think Morelos is a better all round player. But Boyd has done more for us than Morelos has done to date. As a striker, Boyd is demonstrably better though, just based on goals scored, which I would say is what a striker is based on.

I’m not really arguing just being a bit facetious. I do think Morelos is a better all round player. But Boyd has done more for us than Morelos has done to date. As a striker, Boyd is demonstrably better though, just based on goals scored, which I would say is what a striker is based on.
Fair enough mate, I like my strikers to be able to do a bit of everything.

They aren’t just there to score goals these days, in terms of goal scoring you are probably right with your answer.

If we are talking about the best overall striker then Boyd’s not in the conversation IMO.

Its Alfie. Jelavic is close and Prso would have been if we got him 5 years earlier. When Alfie is on he is just different. What he can do ragdolling an entire back 4 or 5 himself is just special.

Fair point.

If you're looking at consistent longevity, then Kenny Miller definitely comes into play.

With regards to Mols, he's the best striker I've seen at his peak with us.

I'm too young to have seen the very best of Ally.
Much the same as me at peak Mols is best I’ve seen and you’re 3 years older than me...

Kenny Miller end thread.

Might not be the best technically or talent but was the best striker in terms of goals all round play the lot and he done the best for Rangers.

If it’s purely on talent and on his day Mols all day if he didn’t get injured you’re talking us close to that champions league the year he got hurt imo.

Back