Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

My Dear brother Charlie who noticed when on leave that my football allegiance was heading towards Leeds of the early 70s, he rectified the situation by introducing me, by means of turnstyle throwing to the greatest football club in the World, tears are now blinding me, there is no Rangers fan in the World who has not suffered, we are all one, and today we will share tears for all our loved ones, when you toast youre loved ones, you toast that common bond Rangers, i am a hauf pissed and i have a half litre of sambuca demolished with a lirte to go, bubblin again but tears of joy, always remebered to all the Bears in heaven enjoy and ma brother who is probably given the Devil a Hard time in hell,

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
Yeh.. they're will be a lot of bears looking down ( including my Dad ) Raising a wee glass to them all

To my lifelong friend Sandy Carmichael, of Castlemilk Glasgow who passed away in a Bridgeton nursing home in April last year from Covid related illness. As a young boy coming over from Belfast in the 1960's Sandy took me under his wing and was like the big brother i never had. The kindness and hospitality that was shown to me by Sandy and his family will remain with me for the rest of my days. God bless you Sandy.

My lovely wife, Dorothy, who passed away in January 2014. She didn't love football as much as me, but went to Ibrox a few times with me. ( Her favourite player was Paul Gascoigne and Lorenzo Amoruso, for entirely other things rather than football.

She knew what Rangers meant to me and is hopefully smiling down from above today.

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
My Dad George who inexplicably thought Artur Numan was a diddy will be raising a glass somewhere!

Stevie Johnston. One of the nicest blokes around, fought the hardest battle against cancer for years. Was a rock for me and my family when my dad had a stroke and passed away at only 49 2 years ago.

I know he’ll be enjoying himself today. Here’s to you Stevie and to 55.

To my Old Man Rab who passed away two weeks ago past Thursday!

Here’s to you Da and here’s to you all who shall be dancing in Blue Heaven as we speak with whisky spilling all over the shop in the clouds!

Lovely thread to post MD, thanks pal.

we truly are the people!

My dad who passed of cancer in 2017.

Unlike others, I can't say he "Made me a bear", he hated football! But he did take me to my first Rangers game because he knew how much it meant to me as a young lad.

We drifted apart for a while when my parents separated. Being a Freemason was very important to him though, and when I turned 21 he asked me if it was something I would be interested in, and, from that night till the day he died we were reconciled.

I became a Rangers supporter of my own accord, but it was him who instilled the principles I associate with being a Rangers fan in me.

My Dad whose last game at Ibrox was the loss to Annan when we knew it was his last game. When I was so angry and disappointed in the players and manager and have been since that day. He passed away not long afterwards. I know he is up there looking down with a great big smile whilst taking turns at playing his mouth organ and playing his snare drum in the heavenly Orange band. Miss you so much Dad, would loved to have been with you today to see 55.

Many tears shed when the full time whistle went at Tannadice. Just wanted to share this with my son who I lost due to a brain tumor when he was 31. I know he's looking down on the Rangers family with a big smile on his face. At the final whistle I went up to his resting place to give him his '55' scarf. Love you Paul.
I hope you are having the mother of all parties up there son.

Last edited:
I didn't know Pearl (90minutebear) had passed.

That's a real gutter.

I met LBB a few times in Europe and worked with Gordon (#8) on the RST.

3 great Rangers.

I jut spoke to my dad who was greetin' after watching the 14minute video, he will be raising a glass to wee George of the TYDFB, who sat behind us in GF6, another 90 minute man. I hope his daughter is having a ball today.

For me, it'll be Jean McCabe who used to cook me dinner on a Sunday, picture of Advocaat on the mantlepiece, an RFC necklace and an absolutely unshakeabe faith in the Famous. Rest easy Jean.

Hold them close bears.

Last edited:
We lost my old man in 2019, we used to sit together in the East Enclosure and the Copland Rear.

Dad would be tremendously proud of our team this season, but then he was proud of them every season and never had a bad word to say about his club. I'm sure he'll be looking on with a beaming smile and a single malt in hand.

Over a year later we interred his ashes in the soil of Ibrox Stadium, I just know he kicked every ball, helped score every goal and defended our cause like a viking, thats the man he was.

I now sit with my own son in BF4, thats our wee Rangers circle of life.

55 is for you Da.

Winning 55 is for everyone. So sad that so many aren't around to see it, but shows how much loved that they are by so many people. Tim Harvey aka TTBluenose, Davy Provan, Chaz, Wee Gavin, Billy Benson would all have loved the 55! I'll raise a glass to them and to all the other Bears who are no longer with us. Cheers to all

To my Dad who had me thinking the alphabet stared with Dawson, Gray and Shaw. RIP Jimmy
To my friend and Brother, Bobby Sprott who nearly made it to 55. Bobby did commentary for the blind at Ibrox for years, as I raise a glass to him I repeat his favourite toast, “ never above, never below, always on the level “ RIP

Thinking about my old man today although he has been gone for a good few years now.He was the guy who took me and my brother to our first games at Ibrox when we were just kids and then took me all over the country to the away games on the Tradeston supporters bus.He would have loved it today and i salute him for making me a part of the best supporters on the planet.Thanks Da.

To my Old Man Rab who passed away two weeks ago past Thursday!

Here’s to you Da and here’s to you all who shall be dancing in Blue Heaven as we speak with whisky spilling all over the shop in the clouds!

Lovely thread to post MD, thanks pal.

we truly are the people!
My dad liked to take a wee hauf ,i always think of him 20 years ago, you are never away from Ibrox, you are only a wee bit late for the bus and you will get the train,Taxi and you will all be at the same destination, The W or east enclosure. the broomloan the Derry, Rangers end or the Broomloan , i am going to have another sambuca for an old Rangers brother , Your DAD and Mine :D :)

I wish I weren't estranged from my dad. He's the reason I'm a bear and always sporting the red, white and blue. I may not be able to forgive him for things that have happened but I can never thank him enough for bringing me to games and ensuring the blood in my veins bleeds this magnificent club.

My mum and dad who I lost 6 years past Christmas and last April. Both taught me what it means to be a Ranger. I know both will be looking down seeing me drunk and an emotional mess right now but thanks too you both that I can be this emotional drunk happy as Larry guy I am right now.

I miss and love both you guys so much.

Back