Some of these players likely to move are part of the Scottish quota
McLaughlin
McCrorie (maybe)
Devine (maybe)
Ryan Jack
Scott Wright (hopefully)
Leon King (possibly)

Personally I think King and mcrorie may still have future at the club
But with a significant rebuild at the club close does any Scottish players come to mind ?

Lennon Miller - replace the outgoing lunny
Watson - other possible Lunny replacement
Danny Armstrong - upgrade on Wright
Connor Baron - ready made replacement for Ryan Jack
It's probably time as a club when we have a Scottish spine and not Lower league English spine mixed with some forgein players
What does eryone think ?

We will need some Scottish players for Europe but the spine of the team should be dictated by quality and not nationality.

I would be happy with all of the ones you listed as squad options.

For some reason I always thought Armstrong was English. Has he had a sniff of a Scotland call?

As per the majority I’m sure: miller but will be too dear, Watson for a cheaper punt, and Barron possibly as a squad filler.

For some reason I always thought Armstrong was English. Has he had a sniff of a Scotland call?

As per the majority I’m sure: miller but will be too dear, Watson for a cheaper punt, and Barron possibly as a squad filler.
He can play with Scotland or ROI I’m sure mate

I think Devine might still have a future at Ibrox. Haven't seen much of him at Motherwell but the few times he played for us I thought he did well. I wouldn't mind seeing him here next season as our backup right-back with Sterling or a new signing as 1st choice.

I think we'd have heard by now if Barron was coming, real pity he isn't as I rate him highly.

Would definitely be trying to sign Miller from Motherwell and Watson from Killie. Surely wouldn't be out of our price range... yet.

I do think we need a Scottish core but that is way easier said than done in this era, every successful Rangers team ever had it, the best ones nearly all Scots.

Miller and Watson will play a lot higher level than the best team in Scotland in their careers so I don't know how you work that one out. It's like saying Hickey and Ferguson would win us %^*& all this time 3 years back

Will they?

Just like John Fleck was the next Rooney…

Would us having Hickey and Ferguson bring guaranteed success? You cant possible make that assumption.

We all know that many players are leaving/out of contact in the summer
Some of these players likely to move are part of the Scottish quota
McLaughlin
McCrorie (maybe)
Devine (maybe)
Ryan Jack
Scott Wright (hopefully)
Leon King (possibly)

Personally I think King and mcrorie may still have future at the club
But with a significant rebuild at the club close does any Scottish players come to mind ?

Lennon Miller - replace the outgoing lunny
Watson - other possible Lunny replacement
Danny Armstrong - upgrade on Wright
Connor Baron - ready made replacement for Ryan Jack
It's probably time as a club when we have a Scottish spine and not Lower league English spine mixed with some forgein players
What does eryone think ?
Doubt we can affoard they players mentioned will cost a fortune for players to sit on our bench , I agree with all would be great signings

Jon McLoughlin doesn’t qualify as Homegrown.

I thought there was noise that this rule was being abandoned?
I’m torn as I’d like to see us have a Scottish core but we have really struggled to bring players through from the Academy to first team.

Will they?

Would us having Hickey and Ferguson bring guaranteed success? You cant possible make that assumption.
Anyone who seen John Fleck at first team level could see he was nowhere near lacing Rooneys boot.

It wouldn't have guaranteed success but it would increase the chances of success the level of player they are. Just like you couldn't guarantee signing Miller etc would mean we win nothing again based on not a lot really. Recent history has shown us that there are young scottish players out there that many turn their noses up at, like Ferguson and Hickey.

Nobody's saying they'll be the spine of the team ffs.

OP mentions a Scottish spine and potential Scottish players to sign coupled with who we already have thats Scottish…

Sure reads to me like thats whats being implied.

Football has moved on and the days of us signing the best Scottish talent is effectively over, we cant compete financially.

Doubt we can affoard they players mentioned will cost a fortune for players to sit on our bench , I agree with all would be great signings
They're not going to cost a fortune? Then you say they'd be bench warmers, but also "great signings"? You been drinking this morning? :))

OP mentions a Scottish spine and potential Scottish players to sign coupled with who we already have thats Scottish…

Sure reads to me like thats whats being implied.

Football has moved on and the days of us signing the best Scottish talent is effectively over, we cant compete financially.
Yeah I didn't read all the way to the bottom of the OP, apologies :))

Still think it's important to sign the best Scottish talent who know the league. Always been a handful of those signings in most Rangers or Celtic title winning squads I can think of. Gerrard probably the only one who didn't really (apart from Wright?).

We need to find a way of developing our own players when they get to that crucial age, Lesser players are improving beyond ours, for example Bailey rice is a superior player to Lennon miller, Or atleast he was

They're not going to cost a fortune? Then you say they'd be bench warmers, but also "great signings"? You been drinking this morning? :))
They wouldn't cost a fortune, they would eventually play a massive role for us I believe but aren't ready made for our first team at the moment.

They wouldn't cost a fortune, they would eventually play a massive role for us I believe but aren't ready made for our first team at the moment.
Yeah that's what I think. If we don't sign them now, then there's every chance they'll be out of our price range in a few years like Ferguson & Hickey. We need to be doing it.

Yeah that's what I think. If we don't sign them now, then there's every chance they'll be out of our price range in a few years like Ferguson & Hickey. We need to be doing it.
Pretty much a chicken and egg situation really and agree mate.

We more than likely won't have the budget to sign players that won't be contributers now. Both Watson and Miller would be 2 /3m each.

I would consider asking Kilmarnock how much to take Lewis Mayo back. He’s shown himself to be a more than capable defender in this league. Not saying I would have him starting games for us every week but he’s good enough to be part of our squad for me. Plus he would count towards our homegrown at the club quota for Europe.

We should have put a buy back clause in his deal when selling him, and should be doing the same with any homegrown players we sell to any Scottish clubs going forward.

That's extremely debateable.
You missed the last sentence of the guys post. When we signed Rice, both he and Miller were the ‘jewels in the Motherwell Academy’. Both were rated equally but Motherwell needed to sell one of them as they needed some dosh. We went for Rice but they’d happily have sold us Miller had we gone for him.

Miller has, undoubtedly, developed quicker though. Probably due to First Team exposure he wouldn’t have got at Ibrox. That’s the bit we struggle with.

Last edited:
That's not really the point though, is it?
Like I say mate it's Chicken and Egg with them. Is a fee less than what we paid for Lammers worth it for potentially brilliant additions that won't be ready made? I would say yes. Watson especially,this summer I would be looking to bring in. At the very least with him we develop him further enough to get our money back even if he doesn't become a first team stand out.

Whilst the idea of a Scottish core is nice, in reality it won't happen.

Any Scottish player that is at the level we would need for our core ends up in England at the worst, because there is more money for them there. The days of them staying put for European football are gone because we don't go very far in The Champions League and banking on us having a decent Europa League run is a big gamble at best, we will only attract players with European competition as an incentive who otherwise have no hope of playing for a club that competes in European competition, and the conference league has now muddied that.

We have had 3 players come through our academy that have secured a place in our starting 11 long term, since Auchenhowie opened.

Last edited:
You missed the last sentence if the guys post. When we signed Rice, both he and Miller were the ‘jewels in the Motherwell Academy’. Both were rated equally but Motherwell needed to sell one of them as they needed some dosh. We went for Rice but they’d happily have sold us Miller had we gone for him.

Miller has, undoubtedly, developed quicker though. Probably due to First Team exposure he wouldn’t have got at Ibrox. That’s the bit we struggle with.
I do understand that mate, even though we went for Rice, even at the time it was debateable who was the best player. Rice has got a big future in the game too though. Because of circumstances such as your second paragraph it really is hard to tell who will be better. I would go for both just to be safe :)

He's not home grown but we could do a lot worse. He scored 16 goals in a tougher league than ours last season.
Just no.
He’s nowhere near the kind of striker we should be looking at and we shouldn’t be touching premiership level wages.
No-one would vaguely consider him good enough or good value if he wasn’t a Rangers fan.

We need to be signing the next Miovski.
There must be young players in lesser leagues who can give us 2-3 years of getting better then a sell on.

The Morelos model that we failed as we didn’t sell at the right time and he couldn’t stay motivated enough to maintain his condition.

Hickey and Ferguson have turned into top players. Would they have done that if they stayed in Scotland? Debatable. Go to Italy, less pressure and expectation, time to develop in a more technical environment and higher standard of football. Scotland, physical game, technical skills not always rewarded, debatable refereeing (Ferguson treated like Jack?), high expectations and pressure for immediate performances. Not saying they wouldn't have thrived but imagine they've become far better players for going abroad than they would have if they had stayed in Scotland

Just no.
He’s nowhere near the kind of striker we should be looking at and we shouldn’t be touching premiership level wages.
No-one would vaguely consider him good enough or good value if he wasn’t a Rangers fan.

We need to be signing the next Miovski.
There must be young players in lesser leagues who can give us 2-3 years of getting better then a sell on.

The Morelos model that we failed as we didn’t sell at the right time and he couldn’t stay motivated enough to maintain his condition.
I don't think he would command Premiership level wages tbh. He's in and about a Premier League team at the moment though, I think for a free he would be good enough for us for sure. Another player I would go after if we can is that Irish guy who plays for Blackburn just to show it's not background related I base players on for us.

Agree about the Miovski comment if we know where to look. Needle in a haystack territory Miovski though. If we could, and learn our lessons on the Alfie model then yeah, I'm all for it.

I do understand that mate, even though we went for Rice, even at the time it was debateable who was the best player. Rice has got a big future in the game too though. Because of circumstances such as your second paragraph it really is hard to tell who will be better. I would go for both just to be safe :)
My best mate is ‘in with the bricks’ at Motherwell. He tells me they will be looking for at least £3m for Miller. Whether they get offers in that region remains to be seen.

I think Walter always had a Scottish spine as they knew what it meant to win. unlike all these English championship rejects that are happy to finish runners up.
The runners up thing you could have a point with tbh. Maybe not just go for Scottish players but players that have won titles in other countries like the bheasts done with the Japanese players maybe? Well off topic mind you.

My best mate is ‘in with the bricks’ at Motherwell. He tells me they will be looking for at least £3m for Miller. Whether they get offers in that region remains to be seen.
Even £3m would be pretty reasonable based on potential. Especially when you look at how much Wolves paid for Silva based on pretty much the same.

Jon McLoughlin doesn’t qualify as Homegrown.

I thought there was noise that this rule was being abandoned?
I’m torn as I’d like to see us have a Scottish core but we have really struggled to bring players through from the Academy to first team.

It's not Antwerp were fighting it against the Belgian FA because they have the same rules with home grown players. UEFA took note of the case but aren't doing anything so far to change it so its still in place.

I do think we need a Scottish core but that is way easier said than done in this era, every successful Rangers team ever had it, the best ones nearly all Scots.
Gerrard’s title winning squad had hardly any. Jack. Wright ( who hardly played ). Gerrard didn’t have a Scottish core.
Many winning squads in the past have though but it was very different times.

Will they?

But you seem to be making the assumption that having more Scottish players means we fail.

According to the sky sports crowd Ferguson and Shankland were or are shite. Id say both of them would have been a huge success for the club it is incredible we ignored them.

I find the panic about signing anyone from this league(apart from foreign guy at Aberdeen with the kinda serie A sexy name) just strange when you look at the squad we have full of players from tv leagues that 9/10 are not great value for money.

We certainly won't and shouldn't be interested in a 17-year-old at that price. I would imagine that an EPL team will take a punt though.

Last edited:
Even £3m would be pretty reasonable based on potential. Especially when you look at how much Wolves paid for Silva based on pretty much the same.
He looks a talent for sure. I think I’ve read that what’s holding Rice back is his work off the ball. That’s a fairly common theme with all youngsters though I think. The likes of Motherwell can gamble on letting youngsters learn that in the top flight. I’m not so sure we can, not until we are regularly dominant again.

Give them a chance though, and you never know. When the B Team games were regularly shown on RTV I don’t think any of us would have picked out McCausland as one to break through. In fact, I thought he might have been moved on last Summer. He got his chance and he grabbed it. Whether he can stay in and around the First Team is debatable but he’s given himself a chance through Stevie Davis giving him a chance.

Hopefully Rice gets some early season game time before going on a decent loan.

Well take Lennon miller , he will go for more than turbull he’s only 18 so a great project player , he’s not going to be a first team starter but great in a few years time , how does that not make sense

Latest posts

Back