Scott Brown and Kamara

I don't really know where to start mate. In your first two sentences you state it's a show of support and go on to say "genuine or not".

Do you think that satisfies what Glen Kamara or indeed any black player wants out this whole sorry affair?

What do you think Kamara would have appreciated more. A hollow, disingenuous gesture in front of the cameras (which is what it looked like to me), or a a heartfelt sincere conversation and show of support in the tunnel away from the cameras?

The "genuine or not" is a problem.

A show of support for a cause or idea can be internally genuine or completely disingenuous.

When it's a public, televised show of support in front of literally millions of people - in the pre-match warm-up in a red hot Old Firm match, no less - whether it was for the cameras or not doesn't really matter.

If the end goal is the eradication of racism on the football pitch, public shows of support for a racially abused player are probably going to help. A conversation away from the cameras might help Kamara on a personal level - and hell, may even have happened - but the captain of Celtic embracing one of our own sends a pretty powerful message that even two old rivals are united against racism.

I’ll never forgave the guy who mentioned his sister to him outside Ibrox & fair play to him for not reacting. I think the fella got banned from Ibrox which is good.

However Broon did that for the Cameras today, he could have had a word quieter before the game...wanted to do his walk into our half so everyone seen it. Also he could have got Glenn Kamara’s number & rang/ messaged him. In my opinion he was looking for good PR & he was successful.

A show of support for a cause or idea can be internally genuine or completely disingenuous.

When it's a public, televised show of support in front of literally millions of people - in the pre-match warm-up in a red hot Old Firm match, no less - whether it was for the cameras or not doesn't really matter.

If the end goal is the eradication of racism on the football pitch, public shows of support for a racially abused player are probably going to help. A conversation away from the cameras might help Kamara on a personal level - and hell, may even have happened - but the captain of Celtic embracing one of our own sends a pretty powerful message that even two old rivals are united against racism.

The time for public shows of support has long past. Whilst I agree they can send a message, I simply don't buy into or appreciate what I saw today whether it sends a message or not. What I saw was a man who had clearly been told to go up and shake the hand of GK out of what looked like spite and not even a word uttered.

The actions, and then subsequent words, of their Captain today were the perfect contradiction of a man and a club who's only priority today was to protect their own interests and PR.

The time for public shows of support has long past. Whilst I agree they can send a message, I simply don't buy into or appreciate what I saw today whether it sends a message or not. What I saw was a man who had clearly been told to go up and shake the hand of GK out of what looked like spite and not even a word uttered.

The actions, and then subsequent words, of their Captain today were a perfect contradiction of a man and a club who's only priority today was to protect their own interests and PR.

No one ever suggested that racism couldn't be tackled by ruling bodies, authorities or governments by actions alone.

Plenty of media attention will also be given over towards the decision of both teams not to take the knee prior to kick off. In some way, the focus (perhaps inevitably) being on Brown on here takes away from the fact that both teams sent out a pretty firm, united message - the first football match played in Britain this season that didn't involve at least one player taking the knee, I think?

Celtic and Brown may also come out of this looking good, to which I can say: meh. It's a small price to pay for a news story that will get packaged up and sold by major, worldwide media outlets as an indication of how united we all are against racism and which hopefully heaps more pressure and scrutiny on UEFA's decision.

As for imagining this thread if Brown hadn't made his way over to Kamara in front of the cameras - well, I doubt they'd be people lauding him for not being quite so public in that scenario.

some people need to look at the phrase ‘a show of support’. Both big words do quite a bit of the work in that phrase. If it was done in a toilet cubicle it wouldn’t be a show of support.

Well done to Brown, don’t like anything about him, but it was the decent thing to do and fair play to him. He’s still a wee Ned

All of this. They are still our main rivals and he is their captain so I hate him but also I can acknowledge a good gesture.

The SFA should have said something by now.
That’s more the issue. The captain of our biggest and bitterest rivals has come out and publicly stated his support for Glen Kamara. The SFA have said %^*& all. These bastards need hounded

Lot of keyboard warriors in here mate, who are threatening to wreck Prague and give the salvia fans a hiding, I wouldn't hold my breath.

You wanted kamara to get support, he got it. Anybody thought of asking him how he feels about ? No, didnt think so.

Lot of keyboard warriors in here mate, who are threatening to wreck Prague and give the salvia fans a hiding, I wouldn't hold my breath.

You wanted kamara to get support, he got it. Anybody thought of asking him how he feels about ? No, didnt think so.

Sorry, I'm really not sure what you're getting at here at all.

I'm sure Kamara was glad of the support.

Dont be d1cks on here.

Fair play to him.

This, ffs.

The same people who say "he probably just doing it for the cameras" are the same types of people on the other side saying that "Maybe Kadula didn't say anything racist".

What he did was a kind gesture and an appreciated gesture. For me I would like to believe it's real.

Don't be fucking scumbags just assuming the worst of a good act.

It was a show of support for a guy who'd been racially abused.

Genuine or not, coming from the Celtic captain - and a much hated Celtic captain at that - almost certainly gives it a bit of resonance, and how it'll be packaged and subsequently reported makes it more important than whether deep down he meant it or not.

Whether it was for the cameras or not (ie. to look good) is therefore an utterly redundant point, because of course it was done for the cameras. Do you think it'd have had as big an impact if it was behind closed doors?

I'd also like to think Rangers players would act similarly if the roles were reversed. It probably also meant a lot to Kamara, and I'm not sure he'd like to see the gesture diminished to the status of publicity stunt.

Anything that further reinforces that racism has no place in football, and that people are united against that - even in the red-hot environment of the Old Firm - has my support. I don't think you can spend Friday and Saturday angry about the racist treatment of one of our players and then not want as many gestures as possible to show how unacceptable it is in football.
Brilliant post

Brown done that today for maximum exposure and effect. This is EXACTLY what needs to be done. More people are talking about it, more people are highlighting it and it must continue. What would have got even more exposure would have been both teams lining up together with an anti racism message. After the whistle goes, yes, lets get stuck into them but there could have been an even stronger message put out. Any word from SFA yet regarding racism?

If it was you or I & you truly had empathy with a fellow sportsman,would you have spent more than 3 seconds with Glen?Maybe have a little bit of dialogue & at least try & make him feel that everyone has his back?

Sorry, I'm really not sure what you're getting at here at all.

I'm sure Kamara was glad of the support.
That's what I meant. Instead of having a go at brown, publicity or not. It sends a strong message to the powers that be.

Sorry, I'm a a bit worse for wear and didn't come across well. Kamara would have appreciated it.

Totally agree. I think it was great touch by Brown

Fair play to Brown going up to Kamara before the game and some good words during his interview after the game.
That was fine but he showed his real class in his after the game interview when he could not even bring himself to mention Morelos as our scorer. A wee bit of good publicity before the game does not make this horrible little man anything but what he is A wee fud.

The effect was everything. It puts UEFA under pressure. 2 huge rivals for over a 100 years sent a message.

If he actually stood and talked to Kamara for a minute, it would have meant more.

A quick hand slap.... hmmmm, photo op it seems.

I think some are actually disappointed with the show of support. They wanted to be raging at nothing happening.

Rather stage managed but at least he showed a modicom of solidarity
Still think he's a moron though:))

I think some are actually disappointed with the show of support. They wanted to be raging at nothing happening.
We can all have our rivalry thoughts to ourselves, but as gerrard says this is bigger than football.

It puts UEFA and slavia prague under pressure. So the jobs been done and to be honest, done well. Us and them have a rivalry, more dangerous and toxic than most clubs in the world, more than just a football match.

The pressure is on the powers that be now, how can that be a bad thing?

Glen probably had to explain to the idiot that it wasn't a manky he got called.
To me it was for show but if it helps the cause then good.

I’ve watched Brown being a complete and utter cvnt towards us.
So for me to respect Brown I’d need him to crawl from Parkhead to Ibrox and say he was sorry for his behaviour and until that day, forgive me for having nothing but contempt for the man.

No, im not of fan of his but to me, it was genuine and I thought fair play.
Even if it wasn't genuine its kept the highlight of racism in football, it's kept us and the media talking about racism in football and that's what is important..

I’ve watched Brown being a complete and utter cvnt towards us.
So for me to respect Brown I’d need him to crawl from Parkhead to Ibrox and say he was sorry for his behaviour and until that day, forgive me for having nothing but contempt for the man.
It’s possible to think he’s a prick because he’s been a prick for years and just accept a gesture for what it is without having to be bitter. It comes across as sheer bitter pettiness to go on about it.

Its important that racism is stopped in football.

Brown going to Glen was a nice jesture.

I believed that it would help eradicate it in Scotland especially from their hard core element.

I then come on here and see two young men in their 20s acting like idiots. I dispare for society.

An organised stunt to get the headlines but for some reason I don't think he meant any of it. His interview after the game showed exactly what an absolute twat he is. He'll not be winning any man of the match performances for his total lack of class.
This...all day long Buster

Kind of contradicted himself later by refusing to say our black goal scorers name, guys a maggot, simple as!

Back