European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Give the bears an invite.

If you want the club to become a soulless, corporate, morally redundant, shell that only exists to make money and doesn’t care about any of us in the support then aye, you wire in and start a campaign to get us an invite.

If you genuinely care about Rangers as a club then you’d want us absolutely nowhere near this thing.

Why can't it be allowed to happen? If Man United and the rest of them want to ply their trade as football clubs in a new competition then why should government intervene? Government would be far better served looking after the teams that would be left.
Because it would truly fck the fans over, it isn’t fair on them.

I understand your point about leaving them to their own devices and look after the clubs who want to maintain the integrity of the game.

I just don’t agree with it, mate.

I think you're seeing nationwide that most people think it's a bad thing.

A lot of that is self interest. If the biggest clubs go to their super league then the money goes with them. Sky, BT and Amazon aren't paying top whack for Burnley v Southampton. Fans are facing the prospect of a massive change in football and they're naturally reacting.

If it happens then football will adjust. Preston will still be Preston. Accrington Stanley will still be an almost cult name for those of us of a certain age. Half Man Half Biscuit will still refuse to play concerts that interfere with their chances of going to a Tranmere game on a Saturday afternoon.

Football was around before money infested the game and it'll be around long after the bubble bursts or TV finds something new to pump money into.

I understand your point about leaving them to their own devices and look after the clubs who want to maintain the integrity of the game.

It's stupid. Just because he's happy watching a shite team with 4 other men and a dog he thinks the rest of the world should love it as much as he does.

If fans of the clubs involved are opposed to it then it's a matter between the fans and the owners. It's why the move will face the biggest opposition in Germany - if German fans don't want it then they're in the position with the 50% + 1 ownership model to actually do something meaningful about it.

If a Liverpool fan is going to walk away from their club because they'd rather play Burnley than Barcelona then let them. Football will adjust and football will go on.

It's stupid. Just because he's happy watching a shite team with 4 other men and a dog he thinks the rest of the world should love it as much as he does.

People love their team for any number of reasons. If a Liverpool fan wants to watch Burnley instead of Barcelona then its a decision they need to make as to whether or not they'll continue to support their club. For everybody else? If Man United as a club wants to leave the EPL and play in a closed shop money league then it should be of no concern to fans of Rochdale.

Why can't it be allowed to happen? If Man United and the rest of them want to ply their trade as football clubs in a new competition then why should government intervene? Government would be far better served looking after the teams that would be left.
[/QUOTE
Because it's not what the majority of these clubs fans and every true fan wants. This is being driven by the greedy owners of these clubs. That's why I feel the government need to get involved.

Review into football in the UK, covering financial sustainability and accountability via an independent regulator.

“Fans voices have to be heard, it starts with fans and ends with fans .... we must protect them”

The English Football League is the oldest professional football league in the world with 12-founding members (Everton, Accrington Stanley, Notts County, Stoke, Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, WBA, Wolves, Preston, Burnley & Derby County).

Football is by far and away the most popular sport in the world but I wonder where football would be today if those 12-founders had decided to impose a "Closed Shop"?

If fans of the clubs involved are opposed to it then it's a matter between the fans and the owners. It's why the move will face the biggest opposition in Germany - if German fans don't want it then they're in the position with the 50% + 1 ownership model to actually do something meaningful about it.

If a Liverpool fan is going to walk away from their club because they'd rather play Burnley than Barcelona then let them. Football will adjust and football will go on.
The backlash *is* football adjusting.

You're acting as if we live in some sort of anarcho capitalist dystopia where government regulations and community interests should hold no weight next to the wishes of investment bankers and a cartel of venture capitalists. Unfortunately for these rancid clubs they do hold weight.

If the fans of the clubs involved in this dont want it to happen, they could collectively withhold season ticket payment until the clubs back down. I realise thats not where the majority of income comes from but it would give them a fright. Wouldnt surprise me if thats why none of the german clubs are involved at this stage, their supporters have more clout and wouldnt accept it
These clubs don’t give a toss about their supporters only cash and they will get plenty even with empty stadiums

It's depressing seeing the ignorance some posters are showing towards this proposal. You really just don't get it if you think that's what it is about.

They will be tied to the club. Their contract of employment is with their club not the league association they play in.
I'm pretty sure UEFA/ FIFA have special dispensations around contracts to maintain the transfer market model which prevent players just leaving during their contracts. Unaffiliated clubs wouldn't have that protection - hence why I think FIFA should just make all their players free agents.

The megastars might not mind but players who are borderline squad players will either need paid so well their wage cap is blown or the players will be better off with a full career in proper football.

The backlash *is* football adjusting.

You're acting as if we live in some sort of anarcho capitalist dystopia where government regulations and community interests should hold no weight next to the wishes of investment bankers and a cartel of venture capitalists. Unfortunately for these rancid clubs they do hold weight.

We're in a pretty strange time when I'm arguing for market freedoms and the normally conservative FF is arguing for government intervention.

I'm all for responsible capitalism. Football has been a prime example of irresponsible capitalism for far too long. It exploits its customers. It seems to exist in a world where normal rules on fiscal responsibility don't exist. It certainly abuses it's position and often acts as a monopoly. That has to change.

Is it right that government intervenes now when it hasn't before? Who is it protecting - English football or the EPL as a corporate entity?

I’m not saying anything, I would gladly watch any game that’s live regardless of the quality :))

Football will, I would hope that on this occasion those who would walk away to exploit the global markets are left in no uncertain terms that it is their choice to leave the rest of the footballing world and that there won’t be a road back for them if they seek it in the future.
The sad part of it would be that it has taken over a century for some of these clubs to build their heritage and the reality is that they won’t exist anymore in that manner.
This is far from the first step down this path, but it might be the biggest leap and the sharpest one. Football is not a battle between money and glory anymore, glory and competition no longer exist in any meaningful fashion for these clubs.
And of course anyone else who wins the leagues or European trophies would have that asterisk hovering around the victory because these clubs weren’t competing, at least in the short term.

Talk that Boris looking into not allowing these big six ESL teams to sign foreign players by not allowing them work permits. no idea how you enforce this

Last edited:
We're in a pretty strange time when I'm arguing for market freedoms and the normally conservative FF is arguing for government intervention.

I'm all for responsible capitalism. Football has been a prime example of irresponsible capitalism for far too long. It exploits its customers. It seems to exist in a world where normal rules on fiscal responsibility don't exist. It certainly abuses it's position and often acts as a monopoly. That has to change.

Is it right that government intervenes now when it hasn't before? Who is it protecting - English football or the EPL as a corporate entity?
The intervention is intended to protect the interests of the community, which is why a fan led review is the leading development here. The creation of a super league is not only destructive to the tradition, history and future potential of "the English game" but also a spit in the face to the governments constituents.

They are well within their rights to intervene. Just because they've let it get this far doesn't mean they shouldn't intervene at any point whatsoever

People love their team for any number of reasons. If a Liverpool fan wants to watch Burnley instead of Barcelona then its a decision they need to make as to whether or not they'll continue to support their club. For everybody else? If Man United as a club wants to leave the EPL and play in a closed shop money league then it should be of no concern to fans of Rochdale.
How on Earth can you begin to think that?

These 12 are placing themselves as the highest level of football and they are pulling up the ladder behind them. They will be taking the cream of the players, the cream of the revenue and they are ring-fencing them for themselves

Today, right now, Rochdale fans can dream of the day they get a wealthy owner, or a run to the FA cup final that springboards them to the EPL and eventual riches. It won't happen for 99% of teams, but it is possible for any team, at any level, to reach the top. This action removes that and it tells the rest of the world that they will NEVER be able to compete at the very top. It undermines the entire ethos of competitive sport and you sit there and try to say it is of no concern to the smaller teams?

Last edited:

These 12 are placing themselves as the highest level of football and they are pulling up the ladder behind them. They will be taking the cream of the players, the cream of the revenue and they are ring-fencing them for themselves

Today, right now, Rochdale fans can dream of the day they get a wealthy owner, or a run to the FA cup final; that springboards them to the EPL and eventual riches. It won't happen for 99% of teams, but it is possible for any team, at any level, to reach the top. This action removes that and it tells the rest of the world that they will NEVER be able to compete at the very top. It undermines the entire ethos of competitive sport and you sit there and try to say it is of no concern to the smaller teams?

Why shouldn't they be able to?

If teams want to launch their own venture then why should they be prevented from doing so? Domestic football will still exist. The EPL and it's distribution of TV money created conditions that were disadvantageous to clubs lower down the pyramid. Nobody complained when teams were struggling against relegation whilst earning millions from TV and paying tens of millions in transfer fees. Nobody complained when the numbers were stacked against Championship teams trying to survive following promotion or relegated teams when the parachute payments ran out.

This is about protecting the EPL and nothing more.

Today, right now, Rochdale fans can dream of the day they get a wealthy owner, or a run to the FA cup final; that springboards them to the EPL and eventual riches. It won't happen for 99% of teams, but it is possible for any team, at any level, to reach the top. This action removes that and it tells the rest of the world that they will NEVER be able to compete at the very top. It undermines the entire ethos of competitive sport and you sit there and try to say it is of no concern to the smaller teams?
It's already stacked against you, why even fight it? It's an absolutely shocking take and I'm glad others are taking exception. As above, I'm sure he's the guy who was vocal on here about falling out of love with Rangers in favour of Dumbarton. For those of us who still care more about Rangers as a whole than how we spend a few hours on a Saturday, this is incredibly bad news and basically could have a long lasting and negative impact on our entire strategy as a club. Being told that we should just be happy the big clubs have fucked off instead of aspiring to get there ourselves probably sums up why he's happier with his diddy club pals.

Sounding mercanary here, what if anything is in it for us? Possible place in the EPL, seat on the ecl committee. I'll take owt that works for Rangers

If the usual suspects bugger off from the EPL, I can't think of any reason for the EPL to get the cash from tv it does and if the cash dwindles what next for EPL except bankruptcy for them.

It's already stacked against you, why even fight it? It's an absolutely shocking take and I'm glad others are taking exception. As above, I'm sure he's the guy who was vocal on here about falling out of love with Rangers in favour of Dumbarton. For those of us who still care more about Rangers as a whole than how we spend a few hours on a Saturday, this is incredibly bad news and basically could have a long lasting and negative impact on our entire strategy as a club. Being told that we should just be happy the big clubs have fucked off instead of aspiring to get there ourselves probably sums up why he's happier with his diddy club pals.

We can't control what other businesses decide to do.

Too many fans look at how money transformed smaller clubs down south and wish that Rangers could get a slice of that money. If there's an argument that Rangers should be demanding more and looking to increase it's participation in a higher standard of football then fans can't criticise the super league clubs for doing the same. They want an elite competition where they control the money. There is absolutely no argument that it's right for Rangers to want to move to the EPL or to participate in another competition rather than the SPFL and yet criticise clubs for pursuing exactly that avenue.

If it's acceptable for Rangers to look elsewhere for a better league and more money then it's also acceptable for bigger clubs to do the same. The argument that it's unfair because it excludes clubs not deemed big enough is bunkum.

Do Liverpool fans want to be champions of this new league?
Or would they rather be champions and winners of:
EPL
FA Cup
League Cup
Champions League
Europea League
Super Cup

The fans don't want it - the players don't want it and neither do the coaches (but obviously can't speak up). It's a meaningless closed shop of tournament with no history or real meaning, designed solely to give the big clubs access to untold and guaranteed riches - or that is the way it is being sold to them anyway.

Pish patter. Take it you want us involved anaw?

The fact that some of our fans would genuinely be on board with this is nauseating.
What have I posted that would lead you to remotely think I would want us involved :confused:

The only think you are correct about is that "Jesus wept" is pish patter.

Really can't fathom what goes through someone's head that the end result is they think it's a good idea to type out "Jesus wept" as a response to anything at all :D

Back