European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

If the fans of the clubs involved in this dont want it to happen, they could collectively withhold season ticket payment until the clubs back down. I realise thats not where the majority of income comes from but it would give them a fright. Wouldnt surprise me if thats why none of the german clubs are involved at this stage, their supporters have more clout and wouldnt accept it

What's to stop them setting up their 'own' international football with the players in their league?
Nothing, but what kind of international set up would that look like?
Could their limited league accommodate the number of international footballers to stage a competition?

Nothing, but what kind of international set up would that look like?
Could their limited league accommodate the number of international footballers to stage a competition?
Yes - they'll have all the money and they'll pick all of the best players. You could end up with 20 teams with 50 strong squads if they're the only ones bringing in billions.

Bayern, PSG, Dortmund, Porto refused to join the scabs.
Ban the 12 nominated clubs from europe next season and ban all players from Euros and World Cup.

They are talking of banning them for the current season.

I think we are going to see some form of proposals to move to what is in effect fan membership for all the big clubs so control is wrestled back. What we have now is billionaires buying a brand and thinking they can do what they see fit with that brand to maximise their return on that initial investment.

It's a circle we can't square. Legacy fans (what a joke term) don't want what 'new era fans' want. Take CL reform....actual fans want more openness, better chance for smaller teams etc. Even UEFA are being pushed to more games for big teams, more seeding, etc. It's now or soon, as there isn't a solution.
The root cause is that UEFA have inveigled themselves with the big-boy clubs (and Spurs) and sponsors, no doubt with hospitality, gifts, exclusive invites and other perks, to the point that they've convinced themselves that these are the clubs they truly represent, and that they have no choice but to go down the route they've gone down to try to appeasing them, but even that isn't enough for the greedy f*ckers.

UEFA are very much to blame for enabling and rewarding this behaviour over the past 20+ years. And, as the UCL proposals show, are happy to go down the road towards a Super League themselves with "elite" clubs invited if they don't qualify at the expense of actual League Champions from smaller nations.

Why all this insistence in promoting Celtic as well as ourselves in this Superduper league ? I doubt very much if the EPL would welcome them when they realize just how toxic they are. Paedophilia rampant in their set up, the core of their support follow the IRA who bombed English cities. They hate the Queen and Britain as a whole. I doubt if the EPL would ever give them house room until they got rid of the Groin Brigade and their followers.

This.

Overseas EPL viewing figures dwarf those of the UK.
If this Super League is played in empty stadiums due to fan boycotts, with atmosphere piped in no doubt, I wonder what impact this will have on viewing numbers and marketability.

(Although, more likely, they'll fill the grounds with tourists instead of fans, but the atmosphere will in any case be sh*t.)

I think it will end as IAATP says: "top level soccer" will be franchise based, self selecting, and we won't get in. It will become like NFL.

But football will survive in terms of 'legacy fans' like us packing out grounds.

It is heading that way anyway and it's inevitable. Some fans here misguidedly believe there is ever going to be genuine pyramid where we get to reach CL semi final and joust with Man City or Barcelona. That's gone, even without ESL.

A big part of me hopes for exactly that.

The teams left behind by this will be forced to change, if only because the media money will follow the new super league. How football changes will be the defining factor in the kind of future that our game has. I'd sooner stand with a pie and a bovril at Newlandsfield on a Saturday afternoon in November than sit at home watching Man Utd v Barcelona. I'd rather be on a bus for an away game leaving Dumbarton at 8 in the morning than sit watching Real v Arsenal on the telly. Football is more than just the 90 minutes on the park. It's spending time with friends. It's the Saturday morning routine. It's fan culture. It's feeling brilliant following a win or terrible following a loss and everything starting from fresh the following Saturday morning. I have the kind of relationship with the NFL and NHL that modern fans will have with this new super league. I might enjoy watching the NHL on TV as a spectacle but it doesnt come close for me to being in Braehead or the Dumfries Ice Bowl, or going up to Dundee with my mates. It doesnt come close to the laugh we have in the car, the smell of the air in the rink or the noise of blades on the ice. The noise of a puck ringing the post.

I feel the same way about football. I'd happily never watch another televised game again so long as I could get to a game - any game - in person and enjoy football for what it should be.

If the fans of the clubs involved in this dont want it to happen, they could collectively withhold season ticket payment until the clubs back down. I realise thats not where the majority of income comes from but it would give them a fright. Wouldnt surprise me if thats why none of the german clubs are involved at this stage, their supporters have more clout and wouldnt accept it
The owners won’t care.they are interested in new fans not as they call normal supporters like me and you “legacy fans” they are after the Asian/African/American fans who follow players rather than clubs and half of the the games will be played there and the rest will have stupid kick off times for those markets

If this Super League is played in empty stadiums due to fan boycotts, with atmosphere piped in no doubt, I wonder what impact this will have on viewing numbers and marketability.

(Although, more likely, they'll fill the grounds with tourists instead of fans, but the atmosphere will in any case be sh*t.)

That already happens in American sports. Season ticket culture is a small part of sport over there. Most fans can't afford one. They'll block book tickets or they'll buy one off tickets as a treat. Folk will travel to attend games once or twice a season.

A big part of me hopes for exactly that.

The teams left behind by this will be forced to change, if only because the media money will follow the new super league. How football changes will be the defining factor in the kind of future that our game has. I'd sooner stand with a pie and a bovril at Newlandsfield on a Saturday afternoon in November than sit at home watching Man Utd v Barcelona. I'd rather be on a bus for an away game leaving Dumbarton at 8 in the morning than sit watching Real v Arsenal on the telly. Football is more than just the 90 minutes on the park. It's spending time with friends. It's the Saturday morning routine. It's fan culture. It's feeling brilliant following a win or terrible following a loss and everything starting from fresh the following Saturday morning. I have the kind of relationship with the NFL and NHL that modern fans will have with this new super league. I might enjoy watching the NHL on TV as a spectacle but it doesnt come close for me to being in Braehead or the Dumfries Ice Bowl, or going up to Dundee with my mates. It doesnt come close to the laugh we have in the car, the smell of the air in the rink or the noise of blades on the ice. The noise of a puck ringing the post.

I feel the same way about football. I'd happily never watch another televised game again so long as I could get to a game - any game - in person and enjoy football for what it should be.
That seems like one twee extreme from the other.

Just because TV exists, it doesn't mean you remove competition.

Let's be honest, despite their protestations many of these fans will just go back and watch their clubs once the initial outrage has passed.

They’ll just play games in Dubai, Shanghai, etc.

Completely agreed. The CL was getting boring and it at least had some turnover of teams. This will just be a total snooze fest.
It will for us but they don’t care about us (legacy fans) so we should not care about them and kick them out and rebalance European football with proper competitions. Having champions in a champions league sounds a good idea to start.

As much as I don’t support this I don’t think the govt should be getting involved. If the clubs want to play in a different league let them get on with it and support the clubs who aren’t involved. I don’t see the govt getting involved when Scottish football gets a pittance in tv money

Only clubs from the Big 4 leagues with all the TV money in the last 10-15 years have been able to win European Competitions. This is just the same thing but on a larger scale.

We haven't had competitive football for a long time now.
This will make it worse. 300m budget for domestic leagues. Rest of the clubs should kick them out.

Yes - they'll have all the money and they'll pick all of the best players. You could end up with 20 teams with 50 strong squads if they're the only ones bringing in billions.
I see your point, but I don't think it is that simple.
The entire game as we know it is built on a massive pyramid from the bottom up.
Even the top clubs rely on the huge infrastructure of world football with kids learning the game in youth football and progressing forward and this is enormous.
That infrastructure belongs to FIFA and associations back down the food chain from UEFA to the SFA to local associations etc.

Your analogy is based on a top-down organisation and quite simply I don't think that can work.

Lol speckatron has chimed in

REACTION TO EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE PROPOSALS
Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, commented: “The SPFL stands alongside UEFA, the European Leagues, the English Premier League and the overwhelming majority of the game’s stakeholders in vehemently opposing the proposed European Super League.
“These proposals, or any like them, would have an enormously damaging impact on the very fabric of our sport at all levels. It is no surprise they have been so swiftly and overwhelmingly condemned by fans the world over.
“We believe that any such ‘competition’ would dramatically undermine the global appeal of football and would be financially catastrophic for all but a very tiny minority.
“The proposals we have seen, assembled by a small, self-selected group of very wealthy clubs, appear to be a cynical and very worrying attempt to thwart the core principle of sporting merit which rightly underpins European football. They represent a clear and present danger to the sport we all love.
“Now, more than ever, given what we have all been through over the past year, governments, together with the game’s governing bodies and leagues, need to work together to do what is right and protect the very essence of the game.
“The SPFL stands ready to support all efforts to fight for the principles of solidarity, sporting competition and fairness which lie at the very heart of the game.”
The absolute fucking irony of that statement.

I see your point, but I don't think it is that simple.
The entire game as we know it is built on a massive pyramid from the bottom up.
Even the top clubs rely on the huge infrastructure of world football with kids learning the game in youth football and progressing forward and this is enormous.
That infrastructure belongs to FIFA and associations back down the food chain from UEFA to the SFA to local associations etc.

Your analogy is based on a top-down organisation and quite simply I don't think that can work.
Well JP Morgan, DAZN and the rest of these wankers are going to give it a go.

That seems like one twee extreme from the other.

Just because TV exists, it doesn't mean you remove competition.

TV football rarely excites me. You occasionally get a good game to watch. All too often it's dross packaged in high definition and with endless worthless replays. The overall experience of watching football on TV just doesnt compare with following the sport as a live spectacle.

Daily Mail reporting that the Government are considering stopping the clubs in question from getting foreign visas for signings

I hope government don't go down that route. If clubs want to pursue the super league then they should be allowed to do so. I'd rather see government provide proper support for the teams that remain in domestic competitions.

TV football rarely excites me. You occasionally get a good game to watch. All too often it's dross packaged in high definition and with endless worthless replays. The overall experience of watching football on TV just doesnt compare with following the sport as a live spectacle.
The whole point of what's happening is that millions (or if you believe the people pushing for this billions) of people feel differently.

The whole point of what's happening is that millions (or if you believe the people pushing for this billions) of people feel differently.

Let them.

Football for the rest of us will survive. It'll be different from it is today. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Give the bears an invite.
How good have these Europa League campaigns been ? Unreal experience and massive moments, every single one earned on the park not by an invite from some rich members club. Tottenham who haven’t won a title in mine or my parents lifetime in charge of who gets to play in their wee league ? Honestly it’s embarrassing

I must admit, viewing this objectively I don’t think the government should be getting involved.

However, the sheer stupidity of the clubs pushing this and the fact they think they can facilitate this indicates they think they have more power than they should.

I’m glad government are stepping in, this can’t be allowed to happen - if it was in a movie I’d be complaining that it isn’t real :))

@EleniCourea (a times reporter)

In his statement on the European Super League, Dowden is about to say it is "a tone-deaf proposal" that " goes against the very spirit of the game" "The owners of those clubs won’t have been able to ignore the universal roar of outrage from all parts of the football community"

He will say that "a small handful of owners want to create a closed shop of elite clubs at the top of the game - a league based on wealth and brand recognition rather than merit" "We will not stand by and allow one of our great national institutions to be undermined"

He will say the govt is "examining every option, from governance reform, to competition law, to the mechanisms that allow football to take place, like work permits and policing arrangements and taxation"

He'll formally trigger the launch of our fan-led review of football — saying "we need a proper examination of the long-term future of football"

"To many fans in this country, the game is now almost unrecognisable from just a few decades ago"

I must admit, viewing this objectively I don’t think the government should be getting involved.

However, the sheer stupidity of the clubs pushing this and the fact they think they can facilitate this indicates they think they have more power than they should.

I’m glad government are stepping in, this can’t be allowed to happen - if it was in a movie I’d be complaining that it isn’t real :))

Why can't it be allowed to happen? If Man United and the rest of them want to ply their trade as football clubs in a new competition then why should government intervene? Government would be far better served looking after the teams that would be left.

Back