European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

If they had got away with it what would they have done next? Not enough money to be made in Liverpool and Manchester let’s move to London?

Other than Rangers in Europe under Gerrard, this has to have been the most exciting European football watch for years. And it’s not finished yet.

Overall though, I despair. The whole situation is depressing and it has been increasingly so for years. Greed is at the core of our game more than ever before, whether it’s the so called super league clubs, or UEFA. Pigs in the trough fighting to get the lion‘s share of the cash and bully others out of it. All they are both interested in is chasing TV and sponsor money and ring fencing as much of it as possible for the big (read rich) clubs in the big (“Top 5”) leagues. UEFA suddenly being the moral voice of the game, really? No, their nose is out of joint because the super league risked kicking them off the gravy train.

Those thinking that all of this means things may get better for the likes of Rangers are, I think, going to be disappointed. The imbalance will continue, even after this shambles. Multiple clubs in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France will still get preferential access to the Champions League, however it is structured going forward. The 4th or 5th team in these leagues will still get an easier route to CL riches than the champions in other less lucrative leagues such as Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal etc. It’s a downright disgrace and nothing will change. In fact, I reckon UEFA will try even harder to placate the clubs in bigger leagues to prevent the ongoing threat of a breakaway league. Rangers and other big clubs in smaller leagues will continue to have an uphill struggle to even get a glimpse of the CL.

I think now is the time for the smaller leagues to get together and put a more forceful representation to UEFA about our role in the game, the fact that we have big clubs with impressive histories and that champions of these leagues should be given a fairer crack of the whip. If UEFA are really about sporting achievement and competition across Europe, as they have stated in the last 48 hours, let’s challenge them to demonstrate that in practice and give clubs in smaller leagues a better chance of competing at the top table via automatic qualification for the group stages or whatever format it is. Continuing to ringfence the CL and it’s money to the rich teams in the top 5 leagues is effectively “super league lite”. It will simply reinforce the imbalance that currently exists, pander to the big club arrogance that they are above the rest of us, and also see those clubs continue to move away from the rest financially. Which will inevitably lead to another episode of superleaguebreakawayitis in a few years time as those clubs once again seek to keep the money to themselves.
Great points mate. I’d been thinking the same, ref smaller clubs getting a bit more together.

For all that those separatists are big clubs, they’re not so intriguing if they’ve got nobody to play against other than themselves. All it takes is a bit of organisation and buy-in from a handle of the smaller clubs to start a group that will rapidly grow.

But unlike those “glamour” clubs, if the smaller club group behaved with dignity and genuine discussion about holistic betterment of the product, it could really make a difference for the good.

Last edited:
Could we be seeing new owners at some of these clubs now that their dreams of a monopoly are all but over for the moment? Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal have American owners, and it looks like they were the ones pushing for the American style franchise models in sport there. Interesting times for these clubs.

Many have already said it on this thread however I think it's worth saying it again.

If people think Uefa are now going to look out for the likes of us , Porto and Ajax and the rest then you are in for a shock.

These clubs (or at least these leagues) will get much more than they get the now.

We are the ones that will suffer.

Could we be seeing new owners at some of these clubs now that their dreams of a monopoly are all but over for the moment? Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal have American owners, and it looks like they were the ones pushing for the American style franchise models in sport there. Interesting times for these clubs.
Unlikely, the likes of the glazers are making big £££ from Utd.

Great points mate. I’d been thinking the same, ref smaller clubs getting a bit more together.

For all that those separatists are big clubs, they’re not so intriguing if they’ve got nobody to play against other than themselves. All it takes is a bit of organisation and buy-in from a handle of the smaller clubs to start the ball rolling.

But unlike those “glamour” clubs, if the smaller club group behaved with dignity and genuine discussion, it could really benefit the game.

One of the UEFA execs namechecked Rangers, them, Galatasaray, Dynamo Zagreb and others yesterday. The point he made was that that clubs like us are critical part of European football competition.

Well it’s about time clubs like us banded together to remind UEFA of this and insist on a fairer chance of competing at the top table. I agree that we should do so with professionalism and dignity but after the last 48 hours it strikes me that the time is now right to demonstrate some collective strength amongst smaller leagues and really drive this message home to UEFA. Before normality resumes and the CL cartel continues as before.

Has this not already been going on for the past 20 years with the Champions League becoming an absolute joke and the English Premiership being nothing but a playground for billionaires that couldn't give a toss about football.

Just reeks of greedy cu*ts getting upset that some other cu*t is even greedier than they are.

Other than Rangers in Europe under Gerrard, this has to have been the most exciting European football watch for years. And it’s not finished yet.

Overall though, I despair. The whole situation is depressing and it has been increasingly so for years. Greed is at the core of our game more than ever before, whether it’s the so called super league clubs, or UEFA. Pigs in the trough fighting to get the lion‘s share of the cash and bully others out of it. All they are both interested in is chasing TV and sponsor money and ring fencing as much of it as possible for the big (read rich) clubs in the big (“Top 5”) leagues. UEFA suddenly being the moral voice of the game, really? No, their nose is out of joint because the super league risked kicking them off the gravy train.

Those thinking that all of this means things may get better for the likes of Rangers are, I think, going to be disappointed. The imbalance will continue, even after this shambles. Multiple clubs in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France will still get preferential access to the Champions League, however it is structured going forward. The 4th or 5th team in these leagues will still get an easier route to CL riches than the champions in other less lucrative leagues such as Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal etc. It’s a downright disgrace and nothing will change. In fact, I reckon UEFA will try even harder to placate the clubs in bigger leagues to prevent the ongoing threat of a breakaway league. Rangers and other big clubs in smaller leagues will continue to have an uphill struggle to even get a glimpse of the CL.

I think now is the time for the smaller leagues to get together and put a more forceful representation to UEFA about our role in the game, the fact that we have big clubs with impressive histories and that champions of these leagues should be given a fairer crack of the whip. If UEFA are really about sporting achievement and competition across Europe, as they have stated in the last 48 hours, let’s challenge them to demonstrate that in practice and give clubs in smaller leagues a better chance of competing at the top table via automatic qualification for the group stages or whatever format it is. Continuing to ringfence the CL and it’s money to the rich teams in the top 5 leagues is effectively “super league lite”. It will simply reinforce the imbalance that currently exists, pander to the big club arrogance that they are above the rest of us, and also see those clubs continue to move away from the rest financially. Which will inevitably lead to another episode of superleaguebreakawayitis in a few years time as those clubs once again seek to keep the money to themselves.
Great post.

A transition to PPV rather than regional TV broadcasters may deinsentivise the big league model and make the pay outs and league places independent of country (if a model can be found) meaning that it is game on again for the likes of our club.

A transition to PPV rather than regional TV broadcasters may deinsentivise the big league model and make the pay outs and league places independent of country (if a model can be found) meaning that it is game on again for the likes of our club.

Yes, good point. PPV is probably the best chance for us to obtain broadcast revenues on an equal footing (or at least on a fair basis) to clubs in other leagues, given the size of our fan base.

Maybe at the start that would've worked, but these super clubs have got big in the age of globalisation, they would get more ppv hits and it would remain largely similar I think. You would then get smaller teams over reaching for a big star to boost sales in China which if it works, great, and if it doesn't then financial peril awaits.

John Henry of FSG has just done a video apologising on the official Liverpool social media outlets....they are slaughtering him and want them to f.uck out the club.

Couldn't put it any better. I'm actually a bit disappointed that the ESL has crashed and burned so spectacularly. Not because I had any support for its principles - I don't. But the status quo really needs shaken up to remove the dominance of the big leagues.
UEFA are no doubt slapping themselves on the back but the fact is they are failing us, and so many others, massively.

Maybe at the start that would've worked, but these super clubs have got big in the age of globalisation, they would get more ppv hits and it would remain largely similar I think. You would then get smaller teams over reaching for a big star to boost sales in China which if it works, great, and if it doesn't then financial peril awaits.
There would still be an imbalance but it could be clawed back in time without artificial barriers obstructing it. End of the day Rangers are a far bigger club than Spurs.

Sorry if it has been mentioned already but I was wondering about the mass protests last night. Didn't they majorly breach covid rules? If they did, I've not heard a peep about it in the media.

Has Perez commented on the English all pulling out yet? :D
First there were mutterings UEFA had paid them 'eye watering sums of money' to leave. An hour later, a statement from the SL stated that the English teams had left because of outside pressures. Are they hints from Perez? The statement will certainly have had his hands on it.

Basically, believe nothing at all coming out of Spain because they are all changing their tune regularly.

First there were mutterings UEFA had paid them 'eye watering sums of money' to leave. An hour later, a statement from the SL stated that the English teams had left because of outside pressures. Are they hints from Perez? The statement will certainly have had his hands on it.

Basically, believe nothing at all coming out of Spain because they are all changing their tune regularly.

It's baffling The English are surprised about the reaction from their fans. It's hardly as if they made an off the cuff decision over the weekend when they were on the booze, this has been in the pipeline and discussed by all of these clubs for years. Then they pull out within 48 hours of it being announced!

It's baffling The English are surprised about the reaction from their fans. It's hardly as if they made an off the cuff decision over the weekend when they were on the booze, this has been in the pipeline and discussed by all of these clubs for years. Then they pull out within 48 hours of it being announced!
They totally underestimated the backlash not just from fans,but the fact that players and Managers were in the dark about it really is quite shocking and the owners should be held to account. UEFA need a clear out as well because of the corruption that's been going on for nigh on 20 years.

I reckon UEFA will try even harder to placate the clubs in bigger leagues to prevent the ongoing threat of a breakaway league. Rangers and other big clubs in smaller leagues will continue to have an uphill struggle to even get a glimpse of the CL.
There’s nothing surer.

Despite what they may say in public, I very much doubt UEFA are going to impose heavy handed penalties on the rebel clubs and run the risk of emboldening them further towards independent action.

The project may have been disastrously conceived this time, but the desire amongst most of the owners of these clubs to glean the riches of their own closed shop setup is likely to remain strong.

A compromise therefore is likely to be the outcome when the dust settles and I doubt that’s going to be good news for us.

I reckon this will rear its head again but as a two-tiered league, with the likes of ourselves in the second division. Perez was clear that Madrid need something like this and he won’t just abandon this.

HAHA

What an embarrassment this has turned out to be.

Got multi millionaires releasing apology videos like some type of YouTuber or streamer who did something wrong.

Brulliant
"Was never going to stand without support of the fans..."
Yet decided that they woukd skulk about in secret and not consult.
Guys a complete arsehole and that apology wont wash with the fans

John W Henry has the look of a man who enjoys a drink.

Well he must have been fucking blitzed when he signed up to this.

I thought I was bad when I woke up one morning still half cut after buying 2 massive Christmas trees off eBay.

1 I could have understood. Maybe.

All well & good that this joke of a "Super" league is dead in the water but it's now time for the rest of European football to put pressure on UEFA for a proper reform of the Champions League - one that stops this 20 year long bias towards to these scumbag "big" clubs.

For years the threat has been - "give us what we want or we'll form our own league". Well that didn't work out too well did it? Not as powerful as you think you are. It's absolute joke that league champions like us, Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, etc have to jump through the hoops of qualifying whilst the 4th best team in England, Italy, Spain, etc saunters right into the group stages.

This is the time to attack, and make it clear that this bias & bullying tactics from the top leagues is over.

So these clubs are allowed to sneak back in with no punishment for almost destroying the game. Meanwhile, UEFA approve Champions League changes meaning 30% of revenue will go to the big clubs based on their history in the competition, and 2 extra places will be reserved for them when they fail to qualify through their league.

And this is being sold to us as a victory for football??

Imagine if last week, someone had said that UEFA would now have the moral high ground. This has been a spectacular own goal by the Dirty Dozen.

UEFA are a mafia themselves, but in UEFA competitions results still matter and if you don't perform well in your domestic league you won't qualify. The problem with the Super League was that results never mattered a %^*&. You could lose for 25 years in the Super League and nothing would happen at all.

Seems like UEFA won't punish them... Guess it's up to the domestic leagues but I won't hold my breath

If UEFA now say they are going to sanction them all then the clubs still wanting to take part will have even less reason to back down. UEFA have played this right by offering them a way back.

How do you punish the clubs without punishing the fans who made them u-turn, its a difficult one.
My understanding - which may be flawed - is that the domestic associations notify Uefa of which clubs they are nominating to take part in the European competitions. I would like to see the EPL ban those six clubs from Europe for a season to lay down a marker. Yes, it would be harsh on those decent fans of those clubs, but if they were able to step back and see that it was for one year only then they might grudgingly agree that it would be a fitting punishment.

They need punished somehow, now. The reason being that actually this WILL blow over and they'll end up doing very well out of the revamped Champions League, plus it wouldn't surprise me if they are able to influence it to their advantage even further. However right now a marker can be laid down.

I reckon this will rear its head again but as a two-tiered league, with the likes of ourselves in the second division. Perez was clear that Madrid need something like this and he won’t just abandon this.

I can’t see it tbh.

Complete control over competition structure and cash distribution is what the likes of Perez want. They believe they are too big to be governed by administrative bodies like Uefa so they certainly aren’t going to give the likes of us a seat at any decision making table.

A small closed shop of like-minded greedy scum that think they have outgrown the rest of football is the only set-up that would work for them.

Id like to see what the share price of those clubs listed are looking like today.

How do you punish the clubs without punishing the fans who made them u-turn, its a difficult one.
Fans get punished all the times for failings of the club.
If the club goes bankrupt or gets demoted it's them that suffer.

It sucks but I'm pretty sure many normal fans would accept things like a point deduction as a warning that their club can't pull shit like this in the future.

All well & good that this joke of a "Super" league is dead in the water but it's now time for the rest of European football to put pressure on UEFA for a proper reform of the Champions League - one that stops this 20 year long bias towards to these scumbag "big" clubs.

For years the threat has been - "give us what we want or we'll form our own league". Well that didn't work out too well did it? Not as powerful as you think you are. It's absolute joke that league champions like us, Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, etc have to jump through the hoops of qualifying whilst the 4th best team in England, Italy, Spain, etc saunters right into the group stages.

This is the time to attack, and make it clear that this bias & bullying tactics from the top leagues is over.
Wishful thinking I’m afraid.

UEFA are simply the other side of the same coin - a bunch of corrupt shysters and gangsters only interested in lining their own pockets.

Their outrage stemmed from the indignation that their plans to slice off even more of the pie for themselves was shat on by the big clubs whose greed surpassed that of their own.

The idea that they’ll now withdraw into a period of soul searching and emerge with a brave new egalitarian vision for the game is fanciful in the extreme.

Back