Spare a thought for Derby County

Macdonsj

from a whisker away from the EPL
to Cocu then Rooney sending them to the brink of relegation

waking up to see this in the Football Insider:

If Wayne Rooney manages to keep Derby County in the Championship he will look to sign Brighton and Republic of Ireland centre-back Shane Duffy, 29, who has spent the season on loan at Celtic. (Football Insider)

If Wayne Rooney manages to keep Derby County in the Championship he will look to sign Brighton and Republic of Ireland centre-back Shane Duffy, 29, who has spent the season on loan at Celtic. (Football Insider)
So just delaying relegation for a year

Could just about understand it if they were in league 1 as that's clearly about his level.

Backs against the wall, I actually think Duffy was ok. For a team who don't defend all that much (except against us) he's a bomb scare cos there's more room around him.

Laughing at that :))

BUT

Is Shane Duffy seriously only 29 or is that a misprint !!! B-D

Looks old enough to be my da and I’m 55 this year!! He’s got the agility of an OAP.

comparing spells
Martin was poor
Duffy was off the scale disastrous - he cannot even get a bench place now as their only fit CB option outwith Welsh and Ajer
I’m just glad they’ve experienced someone that bad :))

I'm amazed Duffy was so bad. About 3 years ago, he played in about 70 EPL matches in 2 seasons. He must have been fine. Apparently dropped because Potter wanted to play out from the back.
Sometimes players just dont take to Scottish football.

Boli was a great example for us.

One of the best defenders in Europe at the time and arrived with a shiny new CL winners medal in his pocket.

When he arrived the hype was all "We've signed Boli! oh and some Danish guy..."

Boli then proceeded to be guff (the Danish guy worked out ok though)

I'm not saying Duffy is the same calibre of player as Boli was (he's not) but you can be good elsewhere and shite in Scotland. It happens

Backs against the wall, I actually think Duffy was ok. For a team who don't defend all that much (except against us) he's a bomb scare cos there's more room around him.
I'm not really convinced about the backs against the wall stuff either. Against Sparta they were mainly defending and if he wasn't running into his own goalie he was looking to the sky as another forward skipped by him with ease.

El Duffalo :p

One of the best defenders in Europe at the time and arrived with a shiny new CL winners medal in his pocket.

I'm not saying Duffy is the same calibre of player as Boli was (he's not) but you can be good elsewhere and shite in Scotland. It happens
Boli was played out of position which affected his game. Duffy played his natural position

I'm not really convinced about the backs against the wall stuff either. Against Sparta they were mainly defending and if he wasn't running into his own goalie he was looking to the sky as another forward skipped by him with ease.
Someone please send the Duffy/Mitchelin man photo.

I saw that Waghorn was getting some abuse after the last game due to him being kept on the park and having scored 1 in 26 games or something. Shame as i liked Waggy and thought he was doing ok down there.

I'm amazed Duffy was so bad. About 3 years ago, he played in about 70 EPL matches in 2 seasons. He must have been fine. Apparently dropped because Potter wanted to play out from the back.
Duffers could play out from the back. Usually to row Z in the opposing half.

I saw that Waghorn was getting some abuse after the last game due to him being kept on the park and having scored 1 in 26 games or something. Shame as i liked Waggy and thought he was doing ok down there.
Done well Ipswich and was alright for Derby at first.

I watched some of their highlights a few weeks ago and he honestly could hardly move which was quite sad to see.

Derby’s best player this season he’s been 68337 year old Celtic dud, Kazim-Richards which shows how bad they are.

At least with Russell Martin, we were under no illusions about the guy and expectation levels were probably quite low to start with.

The filth signing Doofy was cause for that lot to break out the bunting, 10 in a row would be a formality they told us.

Ahem .........

Wouldn't suprise me if duffy does well elsewhere. Loads of players don't settle or suit a particular team or league but do fine elsewhere. I was surprised with them thinking hed be some sort of maldini at the back for them, but was just as surprised with how bad he was.

Personally speaking that was the opposite of my thought at the time. I'm not claiming to say I knew how amazing he would be but I was following Serie A at the time and when I saw we had signed Laudrup, I actually didn't believe it. One of the few signings we've ever made that had me genuinely flabergasted. Honestly wasn't too bothered about Boli, can't say I even remember his signing but I remember Brian's signing as a huge moment.

I am convinced Boli was much older than he was when he signed think he was meant be 27 but looked a lot older imo and Marseille didn't seem to keen to keep him.

Think after he left Rangers he didnt even play 30 games in his career.

He will always have a special place in my heart as I got a mongrel pup the day we signed Boli and called the dog after him and he was my best pal for the next 14 years :)

Leave big Duffy alone. He’s a good Bear and he’ll be in the top 50 defenders in league one when Derby get relegated. Thanks for the memories big Shane!

Done well Ipswich and was alright for Derby at first.

I watched some of their highlights a few weeks ago and he honestly could hardly move which was quite sad to see.

Derby’s best player this season he’s been 68337 year old Celtic dud, Kazim-Richards which shows how bad they are.
Waggy has been injured and maybe coming back too soon.
I watched last weeks game and he was really slow.
as you say KR has been their best player. I think derby are maybe only scoring a goal a game and that’s with a five in there.
they have lost their last five league games.

One of Rooney’s mature lady ‘friends’ would be a better centre half than Duffy.

Yep, I agree. Hopefully the mhanks can land him on a permanent. £10 mullyon should get them to the table.

In reality he was utter dugshite against us and everyone else he played against. Looked every bit the waltzer conductor that he was supposed to be.

English league is much of a muchness from 15th in the EPL to 5th in League 1. Any of these teams could have a couple of outstanding years and make it into the top flight and drop a couple of divisions with a couple of bad years.

Rooney might have got bums on seats for a short while but he's clearly not cut out for management. Where they go next is anyone's guess. They need someone with a bit of savvy to get them back up where they belong, but you just know they'll appoint some 'safe bet' journeyman.

Back