Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been some chatter that Kamara's contract negotiations have stalled.

Also if we sign Okumu then we have 6 centre backs for 2 positions. Assuming Edmundson leaves thats 5. I think if Okumu comes in then that means another leaving as well as GE.
Chatter from who??
Can’t see how anyone will know this.

The REAL issue regarding centre-backs, is not the number of players we have for that particular position, but rather the quality of those players. IMO, only two - Goldson and Helander - are up to par, the others are of questionable reliability.

Centre-back is a crucial area in any team and for Rangers to lose Goldson for eg., would severely weaken the defence. Okumu - even if we assume he's good enough - will need as most players coming from overseas do, at least half a season or more to get up to speed with life in the SPL. Then there is the European Campaign, not having stability at centre back will impose a severe liability on Rangers and their chances of progressing in either the CL or the Europa League.

The REAL issue regarding centre-backs, is not the number of players we have for that particular position, but rather the quality of those players. IMO, only two - Goldson and Helander - are up to par, the others are of questionable reliability.

Centre-back is a crucial area in any team and for Rangers to lose Goldson for eg., would severely weaken the defence. Okumu - even if we assume he's good enough - will need as most players coming from overseas do, at least half a season or more to get up to speed with life in the SPL. Then there is the European Campaign, not having stability at centre back will impose a severe liability on Rangers and their chances of progressing in either the CL or the Europa League.
What has Balogun done to be 'questionable'?

Okumu looks a player who may be suitable but yes we need to be up and running and winning instantly but if the three others are helander Goldson and balogun And he arrived and showed well in the drills maybe he could be 4th choice straight off the bat .
The question becomes though would you need a fifth CD to cover for the eventuality that he actually isn’t and needs more time ?

maybe the likes of Doekhi and Okumu would be best idea and those with other three become your 5 CDs . Of course what happens if Doekhi too needed more time because then neither is adequate and ready to go lol

Nnamdi Ofoborh reveals his Rangers precautions as Ibrox-bound star sits out relegation scrap for summer arrival​

The midfielder hasn't played since March as he sat out the run-in with Wycombe to ensure he arrives at Ibrox in the best condition possible.

dailyrecord

Nnamdi Ofoborh of Bournemouth during a training session at the Vitality Stadium on January 28, 2021 in Bournemouth, England.

Nnamdi Ofoborh can't wait to arrive at Rangers (Image: AFC Bournemouth via Getty Images)

Nnamdi Ofoborh was torn. On one hand, he desperately wanted to help Wycombe Wanderers avoid relegation from the Championship.

On the other, he couldn’t possibly risk further injury – and potentially wreck his dream move to Rangers.

Ibrox supporters excited by Ofoborh’s pre-contract signing will have tuned into the Chairboys’ games towards the end of the season.

Or at the very least they’ll have been checking team-lines to see how many minutes he was getting.

But since moving to Adams Park on loan in February, after signing his Bosman deal with Gers, the 21-year-old featured just eight times.

From the outside it might have looked like Ofoborh was struggling to get into a side at the foot of England’s second tier.

But the former Bournemouth midfielder has revealed he was plagued by a hip injury that curtailed his progress at Wycombe.

When the problem persisted, he faced the horrible dilemma of trying to help his team but possibly causing further damage which might have a knock-on effect at Gers.

After speaking to his family and Wanderers gaffer Gareth Ainsworth, it was decided that Ofoborh wouldn’t play from March onwards.

He was gutted at not being able to show Wycombe or Rangers fans what he’s capable of.

But Ofoborh couldn’t jeopardise his start to life in Glasgow – and now he just can’t wait to get going under Steven Gerrard.

He said: “I was struggling with an injury when I got to Wycombe on loan last season.

“In the last few months it just got worse. It got to a point where I didn’t feel it was right for the coaches to put me in.

“It wouldn’t have been fair on me or the team. People didn’t know this because we didn’t speak about it publicly at the time.

Nnamdi Ofoborh of Wycombe Wanderers during the Sky Bet Championship match between Wycombe Wanderers and Birmingham City at Adams Park

Ofoborh missed the final months of Wycombe's season to be ready for Ibrox (Image: Getty Images)

“But I was struggling with the injury and that’s why I didn’t play.

“It was difficult to get my head around it. I could see on social media that Wycombe fans were wondering where I was.

“They didn’t know if it was down to me not playing well or not being able to be selected.

“But it was none of that. I just couldn’t do it. I was already at less than 100 per cent when I got there.

“During and after the first few games, I was nowhere near it.

“So we all thought it would be best to leave me out.

“I didn’t want to hurt myself or damage my chances before I even got up to Rangers.

“I didn’t want to risk anything. But at the same time I wanted to help Wycombe survive relegation from the Championship.

“I had to look at the bigger picture. I spoke to my family and the gaffer at Wycombe – and we decided that it would be better not to ruin anything or make it worse than it was.

“I’m confident that when I get to Rangers for pre-season I’ll be ready to go. I’m still on the mend but by the time I get there I hope to be where I need to be.”

Ofoborh can’t hide his excitement at the prospect of joining the Premiership champions. He watched the trophy-day celebrations from Ibrox and the size of the move to Rangers hit home again.

The Nigerian Under-20 international is counting down the days now and wants a taste of it himself next season.

Ofoborh said: “I was at home with my mum watching the title celebrations on TV.

“It just let me know once again that I’m going to be part of a club that strives to win and constantly looks forward.

“Rangers are a club that doesn’t have mediocre goals. Winning is the be all and end all – and that’s what I’m looking forward to.

“I didn’t need the trophy celebrations to show me how big Rangers are.

“I got a sense of that magnitude when I first signed. As soon as it appeared on Sky Sports and social media, that’s when it hit me.

“Fans started following me on social media and messaging me right away. Even before it was confirmed.

“So I know what type of club I’m going to. Seeing the celebrations just reaffirmed that.

“How excited am I about getting up there? On a scale of one to 10, I’m probably about a 12 right now

“I just want to get to Glasgow and get going. They are a massive club, one of the biggest out there. Everyone wants to play for the biggest clubs and now I’m going to get that chance.

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard lifts the trophy as he celebrates winning the Scottish Premiership

Ofoborh watched on as his new club celebrated winning the title (Image: REUTERS)

“I’m a winner so I want to win trophies in my career.

“I want to make the fans and my family proud by getting my hands on some silverware.

“They’ve won the title but it will be our job to make sure we hold on to it and win again next season.”

Ofoborh hasn’t had much contact with Gerrard over the summer but says first-teach coach Michael Beale and director of football Ross Wilson have kept in touch.

On Rangers’ return to training, he could hook up with former Cherries pals Jack Simpson and Jermain Defoe, fellow Nigerians Joe Aribo, Leon Balogun and Calvin Bassey – as well as new striker Fashion Sakala.

Ofoborh said: “I’m a football boy through and through.

“I don’t like breaks, I don’t even want to go on holiday. I just want to play football for Rangers.

“The gaffer at Rangers was obviously a bit busy towards the end of the season but I’ve been in constant contact with all the staff.

“Mick and Ross were always checking up on me so it has been very positive.”
Glad to read this, it shuts a few people up as well no doubt.

He also said we'd sell Kamara for "a big fee, as much as £8m"

Clueless.
Such ambitions have taken him to Clyde, Kelly and Alloa.

There’s growing feelers that Kamara will go as he seems keen to try something new after a long time in Scotland.

Understandable and fair enough but should it happen this summer it’ll be on Rangers terms and our Management Team won’t mug themselves off.

I would loan Katic to Hearts or Hibs. Get him guaranteed game time in SPFL and strengthen sellicks opposition.
All fringe players, like JJ should be loaned to teams that can hurt sellick too.
If we do this it will increase the likelihood of gaining £30m Champions League money.
I get your line of thinking mate, but I think we could do with loaning Katić to an EFL Championship side who play a certain defensive style in the hope he stands out there, as the potential sell-on after the loan would be greater.

We're not, ever, having 7 ....

We're not, ever, having 7 ....

Why you even listening to him?! He reckons only 2 of our current centre backs are up to scratch! Our record breaking defensive year where we got more clean sheets and conceded fewer than ever before whilst, considering our wingback style of play, playing basically a back 2!?!

I appreciate the argument about how much money is at stake due to champions league revenue this season and ensuring you are in the best position possible to take advantage of it. I imagine that might play into the date he would go, but we have to draw the line somewhere if we want to be self sufficient and a big sale for kamara will also set expectations for further sales.
Kamara is suspended for the qualifers anyway so it wouldnt make any difference.

Such ambitions have taken him to Clyde, Kelly and Alloa.

There’s growing feelers that Kamara will go as he seems keen to try something new after a long time in Scotland.

Understandable and fair enough but should it happen this summer it’ll be on Rangers terms and our Management Team won’t mug themselves off.
Where are these "feelers" coming from? What is the evidence? The idea has just been rubbished as coming from BF, who it is agreed by all, knows nothing. So maybe your sources or evidence of these feelers?

If we want to progress in Europe you are right we need a quality addition in this position. Last two seasons we have been found out in knockout stages by Leverkusen and Slavia. CH performances in both ties not good enough to progress. If we were lucky enough to get into Champions league we need an upgrade.

Goldson is a solid defender, Hellander very decent, but a bit slow at that level. Katic or Simpson maybe in a season or two but not at that level just now.

katic has a huge season, he needs to show improvement. last run he had still making the same mistakes, cant deal with a cross form the left, leaves a channel between him and full back, gets caught under the ball too often and passing out of defence needs work. Excellent in attack and a genuinely honest grafter and I really want to see him improve.

Simpson needs loan for my liking. Needs a season where he plays 20 + games, wont be at Rangers. He has quality but needs experience at the right level. Edmundson not sure about at all. Think his ship has sailed.

There seems to be all this focus on Kamara having to sign a new deal or will be sold. His contract is up in 2023 along with Kent, Helander, Aribo and Morelos. Im not sure why the focus is on kamara when we are about to enter a crucial period of contract negotiations. Goldson is priority number 1 and thereafter I can see a lot of our money going on contracts for the above. We simply can't have them all starting season after next, unsigned, and entering final 12 months as they are our assets. Fingers crossed we get a few tied down and if not, I can see a few moving on over next window or two whilst value high

If we want to progress in Europe you are right we need a quality addition in this position. Last two seasons we have been found out in knockout stages by Leverkusen and Slavia. CH performances in both ties not good enough to progress. If we were lucky enough to get into Champions league we need an upgrade.

Goldson is a solid defender, Hellander very decent, but a bit slow at that level. Katic or Simpson maybe in a season or two but not at that level just now.

katic has a huge season, he needs to show improvement. last run he had still making the same mistakes, cant deal with a cross form the left, leaves a channel between him and full back, gets caught under the ball too often and passing out of defence needs work. Excellent in attack and a genuinely honest grafter and I really want to see him improve.

Simpson needs loan for my liking. Needs a season where he plays 20 + games, wont be at Rangers. He has quality but needs experience at the right level. Edmundson not sure about at all. Think his ship has sailed.
I’m not sure how Rangers managed to win all those qualifiers and EL games and OF which such a fallible CD lol

ye he has improvements to come but he is still recovering from a massively bad injury let’s give the man our support and some time to sort out his physical n mental new normal mate .

think you have seriously over criticised this player .

As much as I don’t want any player to leave . We really do need that one big sale this summer. Our model requires it to be sustainable

Northhighlander - they say great minds think alike, and your intelligent and thoughtful post on the Rangers centre-back situation provides an abundance of proof that the aforementioned aphorism is indeed correct!!

I’m not sure how Rangers managed to win all those qualifiers and EL games and OF which such a fallible CD lol

ye he has improvements to come but he is still recovering from a massively bad injury let’s give the man our support and some time to sort out his physical n mental new normal mate .

think you have seriously over criticised this player .
Agreed mate - saddens me to see Niko, Balogun etc being talked down on here, considering their circumstances …… some of the comments are disgraceful from ‘Rangers fans’. However, the moment any of them might be getting sold etc, they’re immediately +£5m players…..

I don't like looking at footage of signing targets, much prefer doing that after they've signed.

I’m not sure how people on here think a German international will come to Scotland. Gerrard or not, someone of his quality isn’t coming here.
It depends on his options in Germany. I'd hazard he'd prefer to be playing 50 games a season to include CL or EL group football than kicking around mid table to relegation Bundesliga.

Youtube highlight tapes - as has often been noted = are unreliable barometers of a players actual potential. However, Ozcan, does impresses me and I think he'd add a lot to the Rangers midfield.

As a German under 21 international he's bound to be under scouting review from quite a few clubs. Would he consider playing for Rangers - who knows, we could offer a lot to him in terms of his development. But it is the low reputation of the SPL that mights scunner our chances of persuading him to come to Ibrox

Northhighlander - they say great minds think alike, and your intelligent and thoughtful post on the Rangers centre-back situation provides an abundance of proof that the aforementioned aphorism is indeed correct!!
The latter of that well known phrase is "fools seldom differ".

Not that I read the aforementioned comment to agree or disagree with its content.

I can see GK and Goldson leaving. I think that Glen will be the big money transfer, possibly around 12-15 million and Goldson, who really only has one big move left in him will go for 6-8. That's my tuppence worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back