Euro 2020 Scotland Vs Czech Republic

I cringed when Clarke was asked before the Czech game "is a must win" and he basically said "och no, we'll see what happens." Sure, don't pile pressure on the players. But at the same time, talk as if you recognise that this is a great chance at racking up 3 points and intend to do just that.

Team selection reflected that. I'm Donnell ahead of Patterson, come off it. Does any other team in this tournament have a starting XI player who plays for the 7th best team in a second-rate league?

Gilmour I could understand not starting to an extent, but again we're talking a young player who just won the Champions League. Treat him like this is his natural stage and give him a run-out.

The team played reasonably well as it was, but could have done more with a few tweaks.
That and his team selection was mind boggling he should have started with the two up front and went for it from the start if we can't get a point from the Czech Republic I don't fancy our chances of getting results from England or Croatia in fact I think we'll do well to avoid a tanking in both games

Last edited:
It was embarrassing. Easily the poorest team on show so far. This continual lack of technical players (for about 30 years now) is a national scandal tbh.

It takes a lot to make me speechless but the fact a Champions League winner never saw a minute of action has me dumbfounded. That’s before I mention the future of Scotland in Patterson and (dare I say it?) Turnbull not crossing the line.

A blind man can see this tournament is an opportunity to blood those boys into this team.

I not been more annoyed than watching O’Donnell today in a long time. The one he runs into Christie is baffling.
He is so slow in possession with everything including his throw-ins.
He should be nowhere near international football at all.
The game was crying out for a genuine player to play wide right and some quality in middle of park that could actually turn on the ball and be brave instead of side and backwards passes.

If only Scotland had a young, talented right sided hungry player ready to go……oh wait

For the stato’s are scotland going to be the only nation to start a group game without a player from their league winners in the starting line up?…,

While not disagreeing with you, the interview with Robertson after the game where he said Marshall had to push up to cut off balls over the top when Scotland were pressing makes it sound like Marshall was following orders and doing what the manager planned?
He's been reading the Ange book of tactics.

during Clarke’s pre March interview when asked why he had gone with Christie and Dykes he said it was because of their performance against Serbia. And as result they deserved to start today. That match against Serbia was Nov 2020. So rather than pick the team based on current form or even performance in training he’s picked a line up based on a game 7 months ago. Doesn’t matter that both Dykes and Christie have been terrible for their clubs.

then there’s the playing wing backs….which means the majority of your deliveries and creativity are going to come from those positions. So Clarke plays O’Donnell who isn’t capable of taking a man on or putting a decent delivery into the box.

now John Mcginn is a decent player but %^*& me stay on your feet. He spent the majority of the game on the floor. But then if i had to carry about a head that size I reckon I’d struggle to stay on my feet too.

the cameos against Luxembourg from Patterson and Gilmour were enough to say to me they need to start. They were a breath a fresh air and more important showed great technique which today we cried out for. Patterson would of given them a forties time down the right side. and with Gilmour you can guarantee that Clarke hasn’t picked him due to not being a physical player. And there’s the issue, picking brutishness over technique. The reason we will never get anyway at international level

Opportunity missed. Should have played McLaughlin, but to be fair only Bears were saying that pre match.
The team needed Patterson, Gilmour, Turnbull and Nisbet. To be honest I would have had Forrest on from the start as well.
Someone posted elsewhere an XI from the non starters would beat the starting line up and I think thats true.

A team with Mclaughlin, Robertson, McTominay, Patterson, McGinn, Turnbull, Gilmour Nesbit, Forrest, Cooper and Hendry would have done far better. Add biscuit hips if he had been fit and you have 6 EPL top half players and 2 from the Scottish Champions with European experience,

Clark doesn't have a clue

You have to remember so many pundits and journalists were all in on Clarke from the start so it is no surprise many will defend him and the players to the hilt.

As Scottish as Kim Jong-un but should be starting EVERY game, light years ahead of any other attacking option in that squad but no, the dinosaur knows best!

Scotland have two games left v teams who were in the semi finals of the last World Cup. At the bare minimum they need to beat one of them and hope for the best elsewhere. Party is finished already. As much as Steve Clarke was apparently responsible for us qualifying he’s also responsible for putting us out just a couple of days after the Euros started.

Clark is a dinosaur. Sh*te tactics, sh*te team selection.

O'Donnel is an absolute cart horse that should be nowhere near international football. We have a young dynamic modern wingback, but naw, stick with the cart horse.

Ryan Christie??? Extremely lucky to even have made the squad given the season he's just had.

It's the old pals act, the boys that got us here pish that achieves nothing. We have two outstanding youngsters in Patterson and Gilmour, one playing in the latter stages of Euro competition and the other with a CL medal, yet both unused subs.

England will pump us, Croatia will beat us too. First tournament in 23 yeats gubbed after the first game, thanks to the woeful decision making and favouritism of that auld alchie.
Forest has hardly kicked a ball in anger this season for the mhanky mob.......another that should not be near the squad.

Thought Scotland were a bit unlucky today, they did have a few good chances but not clinical enough, Che Adams should have started and couldn't believe he didn't, Marshall was embarrassing at the 2nd goal and there was no way back from there, can't see anything positive happening at Wembley so it's down to the last game against Croatia before yet another failure it would seem

O’Donnell was brutal throughout the game absolutely brutal he’s a very average SPFL player and nothing more. Bang average at best. The keeper is another average player and nothing more. The two CB’s are ordinary as well. Dykes is a Livingston player. So in reality you have maybe 4 decent players the rest are just plain and simple poor. Young Nathan is surely to God a better option than O’Donnell? Biscuit hips was once again injured. The manager was completely clueless.

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

That team and set up was a reflection of his mentality.

“How do we make sure we dont lose the game?”

Instead of “we have better players, playing at the highest level in world football. Lets get after them and attack them”

A fuckin coward.
Talked the game all week. Positivity, attacking and then shit his pants.

the only way we progressed in this tournament was to win today. His team selection contradicted all of that.

Got to tip my hat to the Czech striker, we've been beaten by a great header and the likely goal of the tournament.

On chances created we should've had at least 1 goal but just not got the quality where it matters.

Looking to Friday he needs to bin Christie who is the most over rated player in Scotland and get rid of that absolute cart horse O'Donnell who is one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Scotland shirt. That incident where he ran into his own player in the first half was a total embarrassment but I guess that's what you get when you play a Motherwell player at international level.

Many of you guys may disagree with me and I truly respect you all, but after I seen that clip of those guys singing “if you hate the F@“king English”, it kind of vindicates my couldn’t care less approach to Scotland. I had supported Scotland because of the racism from the Czechs against GK, but the racism from those tartan trannies isn’t any better IMO and certainly hurt me as much.

Many of you guys may disagree with me and I truly respect you all, but after I seen that clip of those guys singing “if you hate the F@“king English”, it kind of vindicates my couldn’t care less approach to Scotland. I had supported Scotland because of the racism from the Czechs against GK, but the racism from those tartan trannies isn’t any better IMO and certainly hurt me as much.
What racism?

Back