Euro 2020 Scotland Vs Czech Republic

Clarke’s buffoonery team selection had them f.ucked before a ball was kicked. You can bet your life he starts at Wembley the exact same? Will be happy with a 2-0 defeat! England’s movement will destroy that defence. Today was an absolute shambles and will not improve if the likes of O’Donnell start games. FFS he looked like an amateur player at best but McFadden was building him up like Cafu. Shocking display.

O’Donnell still on the pitch. Ffs.
That idiot Clarke needs sacked after this Tournament, playing O'Donnell is one thing but the first three times he was neear the ball he back heeled one out of play, ran into Christie stopping his momentum, and crossed the ball 3 inches off the ground, absolutely pathetic!!!!!!!

He should have pulled him at half time. Don't get me started on subbing McGregor in. I knew Clarke would never play Gilmour or Patterson. What a major emabarressment. The second goal was a disastrous mistake too. It was like watching the keystone cops.

Patterson might play, if for no other reason than to give the tartan army something to boo and blame for the inevitable horsing from England and take the heat off coach jakey.

That idiot Clarke needs sacked after this Tournament, playing O'Donnell is one thing but the first three times he was neear the ball he back heeled one out of play, ran into Christie stopping his momentum, and crossed the ball 3 inches off the ground, absolutely pathetic!!!!!!!

He should have pulled him at half time. Don't get me started on subbing McGregor in. I knew Clarke would never play Gilmour or Patterson. What a major emabarressment. The second goal was a disastrous mistake too. It was like watching the keystone cops.
He needs sacked today, before he totally embarrasses us.

Scotland missed a few good chances, but so did the Czechs. It could easily have been 4 or 5 for them. Marshall's positioning for the second was hilariously bad - he should be 10-15 yards further back. Friday night could see a real hammering, if England can be bothered. I suspect they'll just be professional and preserve energy once the game is won.

I wouldn't want Patterson anywhere near the likely disaster heading that team's way.

O’Donnell was brutal throughout the game absolutely brutal he’s a very average SPFL player and nothing more. Bang average at best. The keeper is another average player and nothing more. The two CB’s are ordinary as well. Dykes is a Livingston player. So in reality you have maybe 4 decent players the rest are just plain and simple poor. Young Nathan is surely to God a better option than O’Donnell? Biscuit hips was once again injured. The manager was completely clueless.
If you look at most the team today we had 3 players not from top teams, Marshall, O’Donnell and Dykes (Hendry - I am saying top half Belgian league as good as top 4 SPL). Of the 3 you look at O’Donnell was on a free start of season and best offer was Motherwell - a bottom 6 SPL team!! No championship, EPL or top 6 SPL team was interested! That tells you his level.

Marshall, not a bad keeper but again he’s never been much higher than mid championship level so argument that if he’s your best then leaves you short.

When you know these player probably aren’t quite at the level why not take the chance so some that are!

Look at the teams we had players from today, top EPL and mid table EPL - that is a good level. We’d as many players at same or better levels that Czech. So fact we were no where near is part down to set up and not picking your best form players.

Pointless getting to tournaments when you’re out first game!

My TV viewing setup has allowed me to watch the games so far on tsn1.

Half decent commentary has made a fine improvement to my viewing .

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png
Reminds me of the staged Adolf Hitler collection. Anybody falling for this needs help.

Forest has hardly kicked a ball in anger this season for the mhanky mob.......another that should not be near the squad.

Was hilarious, Scotland needed width on the right the whole game then the comms are like Forrest for O'donnell, he will play at right wing back. Games really opened up now on the right etc. Ffs it's obvious Paterson should have been on.

I hope beyond all hopes he starts o'donnell against England, he will get completely rinsed.

All these years later and still scotland cant hold the ball comfortably. A few passes, usually in their own half and launch.

Watch the Czechs, or even lesser countries and they can be from their half to the other box in 4 or 5 passes. This takes scotland about half an hour.

Many of you guys may disagree with me and I truly respect you all, but after I seen that clip of those guys singing “if you hate the F@“king English”, it kind of vindicates my couldn’t care less approach to Scotland. I had supported Scotland because of the racism from the Czechs against GK, but the racism from those tartan trannies isn’t any better IMO and certainly hurt me as much.
Yeh, not a race mate.

I watched the game in London and had a table of locals being vocally anti-Scottish all game. Still not racist.

All these years later and still scotland cant hold the ball comfortably. A few passes, usually in their own half and launch.

Watch the Czechs, or even lesser countries and they can be from their half to the other box in 4 or 5 passes. This takes scotland about half an hour.
The strides Rangers have made in Europe under Gerrard has been remarkable in that regard. With a progressive manager we might be able to play in a slightly better manner however I gave Clarke some credit for trying to make the most of the relatively limited options we've got. Today I was actually surprised (as much as I know others won't be) that he didn't start one of Patterson or Gilmour and that he justified it by saying they were good 6 months ago. I thought he'd genuinely be a bit more pragmatic than that.

I disagree.

Look at Wales, or Northern Ireland in the last Euros, Iceland too. And that’s just to name a few. These are teams that have punched above their weight without (Bale aside) any genuine world class talents to elevate them onto a different level.

You could say the same of the Irish under Jack Charlton.

Groups of relatively ordinary players who achieved more than expected because of hard work and, in my opinion, a collective belief that Scotland just don’t seem to have.

Of course it doesn’t help you have a dour, miserable looking bloke stinking out the dugout.
A bit general. These teams had a game plan and stuck to it. Not sure what our game plan is.

The manager turned Kilmarnock into a boring to watch set of thugs in front of a set of fans who lapped up that pish football week in week out with no expectations.....now when a nation expects look at him try to make a silk purse from a sows ear. You pulled the wool down at Killie but I can see right through ye.

50 years have witnessed the same watching Scotland, starts at the very top and whittles it way down.

Dinousaur's in charge, put the wrong person in charge, he picks the wrong players, formations etc etc - same old, same old, gallant failure yadda yadda. Mindset of those at the Top needs to change, then those below will change.....

Albert Einstein - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

p.s. less than 2 mins on the clock today, ODonnell somehow with no one near him, back heels it out the pitch ????????????? i knew then the result of todays match...................

The manager turned Kilmarnock into a boring to watch set of thugs in front of a set of fans who lapped up that pish football week in week out with no expectations.....now when a nation expects look at him try to make a silk purse from a sows ear. You pulled the wool down at Killie but I can see right through ye.

He got the best from a very limited Kilmarnock squad. His job wasn't to play pretty football, it was to play effective football. He was very successful at it with Kilmarnock. As a fan it's not the type of football I want to watch and I'd make the same criticism of him that I'd make of other ultra negative managers, but in fairness to him he was doing the job asked of him.

With Scotland it's different. We don't have world beaters but we do have better players than O'Donnell at right wingback and Dykes up front on his own. Christie has had a poor season for Celtic - why was he in the starting 11 at the expense of Che Adams? If he was going to start with Armstrong then club mate Adams would have made more sense because of their familiarity playing together at club level. The 3 keepers all have question marks and its arguable that Zander Clark should have been there ahead of Craig Gordon. Clark has had a decent season and has played top flight football regularly - something that neither Gordon nor McGlaughlin have done this past year.

The biggest criticism of Clarke today is that the 11 he started with wasn't the best 11 available even accounting for the injury to Tierney. Adams and Paterson should have been in the starting 11 and it's arguable that McTomminey could have dropped back to centre half to accommodate Gilmour.

Also arguable that Andy Robertson is a shadow of the club player when he pulls on the Scotland jersey. Sure there's a gulf in class between the quality of his club teammates and international ones, but he still doesnt come anywhere near close to his club quality when playing for Scotland.

It is beyond me that a professional football manager thinks he can play as a wing back. Playing him as right back is beyond me.
He’s slow and ponderous. Second touch is more often than not a tackle.

For what it’s worth this is the team I’d pick for Friday (and presuming Tierney doesn’t make the squad)

McLaughlin or Gordon (just not Marshall)
Robertson
Cooper
Hanley
Patterson
McTominay
McGinn
Gilmour
Armstrong
Fraser
Adams

McTominay can sit and drop back to help Hanley and Cooper, I also felt Forrest at least offered something when he came on so if he was a last quarter sub for Fraser I wouldn’t be too annoyed. I’m not a tactical master obviously, just basing it on what I saw today and what I know players are capable of.

Hendry (I still think he is a decent squad player but he had a shocker today) and O’Donnell should be nowhere near it.

Knew as soon as I saw the line up this afternoon. Clarke made an arse of it. Giving it big licks in the press all week in the run up to the kick off. Shat it.

Some of the tweets I saw on Sunday about the England vs Croatia game were embarrassing. Folk kidding themselves on that we had a chance etc. Probably one of the least talented Czech sides I can remember in decades. Very well drilled and a few very good players but nothing approaching the squads they had in the early half of the 2000s. Yet Clarke played it 'safe'. England and Croatia will slap us about.

Wasn't really worth the wait tbh.

50 years have witnessed the same watching Scotland, starts at the very top and whittles it way down.

Dinousaur's in charge, put the wrong person in charge, he picks the wrong players, formations etc etc - same old, same old, gallant failure yadda yadda. Mindset of those at the Top needs to change, then those below will change.....

Albert Einstein - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

p.s. less than 2 mins on the clock today, ODonnell somehow with no one near him, back heels it out the pitch ????????????? i knew then the result of todays match...................
I don't think there is a nation in Europe which has 'progressed' as little as Scotland has over the past few decades.

The arrogance in Scotland to think the way they do things is the best way is absolutely embarassing.

Time after time, failure after failure - no-one looks to move on from the ignorant and stubborn ways of how things are done. Scotland thinking it knows best is utterly hilarious.

I don't think there is a nation in Europe which has progressed as little as Scotland has over the past few decades.

The arrogance in Scotland to think the way they do things is the best way is absolutely embarassing.

Time after time, failure after failure - no-one looks to move on from the ignorant and stubborn ways of how things are done. Scotland thinking it knows best is utterly hilarious.

Has it not been people like the Alloa chairman in charge, or people of that quality? Hardly surprising.

Think we all knew the outcome when the starting eleven was announced. Terrible team selection and thats not just hindsight. I genuinely think thats a game Scotland could have won had Clarke not got it so wrong.

Seeing different angles of the second goal now. Looks even more impressive a finish and Marshall looks even more ridiculous.
Something that should never have happened and it is down to the goalkeeper or did he think he was a midfielder? Wtf was he doing outside the box? Supposed to be a professional ffs! At least when Roofe scored that wonder goal he did all the hard work himself and in terrible conditions! It was pathetic!

Think we all knew the outcome when the starting eleven was announced. Terrible team selection and thats not just hindsight. I genuinely think thats a game Scotland could have won had Clarke not got it so wrong.

Easiest team to beat in the group. Czechs are very similar to Scotland, level wise at least. Probably more technically gifted than us but they had no world beaters in that Squad. They just picked their strongest 11 and were clinical. Scotland can't even do the basics correctly.

O’Donnell was brutal throughout the game absolutely brutal he’s a very average SPFL player and nothing more. Bang average at best. The keeper is another average player and nothing more. The two CB’s are ordinary as well. Dykes is a Livingston player. So in reality you have maybe 4 decent players the rest are just plain and simple poor. Young Nathan is surely to God a better option than O’Donnell? Biscuit hips was once again injured. The manager was completely clueless.
Summed it up when he "tackled" Christie in the Czech penalty box.

Hendry scored against the Netherlands in a warm up game, so now he thinks he's a striker.

I honestly dont get why people are having a go at dykes, yes 2nd half he made some errors lost the ball but really he had feck all to work with.

We lost the game cos of the decision to pick christie, its important for some reason the team has a yahoo feel about it even if every yahoo is off form... had we gone with either of the other 2 strikers that came on it might well have been a completely different game and result. They were not much better than us they dont have better players thats bollocks.

I know i wasnt saying it before the match but hes crap manager, he looks rubbered half the time, if you think about if he became quite popular because he made some nasty comments on Rangers and our support. Id get rid of him tonight Scotlands only(tiny) chance of sorting this and getting results in the last two game is if hes not involved. I wonder if the players dont like him either i would not be surprised if the rumours start tomorrow about them not enjoying working with clarke or being able to understand what they were being asked to do.

When your main tactic is either belt it long or hope a full back can win you the game cos hes playing for Liverpool, well you shouldnt be the national manager. Get rid of him get him tae feck.

I usually don't watch Scotland as i hope they lose every time they play but from what i saw today Daniel O'Donnell and Jilly Cooper are two of the worst players i have ever seen and I've seen an oil tanker move quicker than Nisbet.

You have a league setup here that allows players to be kicked all over the place whilst refs just watch. Look at Borna arriving and stating that the Croatian league was more technical. The setup here allows players to steam in - and therefore possession is valued less and the game more hectic as a result.

What sort of pish was being spouted
Stuff like "definitely heading in right direction" "of course we can win at Wembley" "today the world saw Scotland back at the top table".

Just nauseating cringe with buckets of delusion.

These people also forget about the special 'qualifying route' that Scotland were handed.

Thought Scotland were a bit unlucky today, they did have a few good chances but not clinical enough, Che Adams should have started and couldn't believe he didn't, Marshall was embarrassing at the 2nd goal and there was no way back from there, can't see anything positive happening at Wembley so it's down to the last game against Croatia before yet another failure it would seem
Scotland were dire today, pedestrian, insipid, defensive display,, very poor, a home game we should have been battering their door down right from the first whistle, we were garbage, and a huge reason was the team line up, I knew he would get it wrong, but to get it wrong with at least 4 players is unreal.

Stuff like "definitely heading in right direction" "of course we can win at Wembley" "today the world saw Scotland back at the top table".

Just nauseating cringe with buckets of delusion.

These people also forget about the special 'qualifying route' that Scotland were handed.

Magicdeboer, you claim to have zero interest in Scotland, yet probably have more posts than any other person in this thread. "Nauseating cringe". I would use such terms for your hyperbole.

There is enough talent in this team to not play as we did. That's why it's so frustrating. The inclusion of Dykes makes the tactics lazy. If it was Christie (I know)/Armstrong off Adams with GIlmour in behind, there's enough talent in there to actually play a bit of football and break down teams.

You have a league setup here that allows players to be kicked all over the place whilst refs just watch. Look at Borna arriving and stating that the Croatian league was more technical. The setup here allows players to steam in - and therefore possession is valued less and the game more hectic as a result.
Fair point mate. That could be seen today, it's all about force with scotland, no technical ability to be seen.

I know the 2nd goal was a f**k up, but when I seen that lad have a quick look and the confidence he struck the ball with, I knew it was going in.

I just cant see scotland score a goal like that.

For as long as I can remember Scottish football has always been about being "physical", with technical ability, composure on the ball etc being a distant thought.

It continues to be stuck in the dark ages and has made no progression for a reason.

The mentality is all wrong.

Back