Porto interested in Morelos

Have a word with yourself. That wee helmet pingpong went for more.

Players are worth what clubs will play but I also don't buy figures expressed in the media-would suit Celtic to incorporate other factors into the fee and also do it the other way with a player the fans really rate.

I'll go out on a limb here I think we would accept 12M for him with a sell on clause. Of course we would try to get more but in the grand scheme of things I don't see the valuation many are stating. To be honest if Alfie was really worth that type of cash some are stating would he be here? There'd be a line of clubs wanting him.

He could go to the very top but he could also orbit around being a player just short of the type that top clubs want.

I think he'd be better off in Europe as he would develop more there and be better suited to that style of football however England is probably the most inflated market to sell to.

Throw in the COVID scenario/financial impact and a Morelos who may want to leave then I can see around the 12M being accepted and the undisclosed tag being used.

We've debated this for years-the fact he is still here for me shows he's not anywhere near being a £25M player.
You state 25mil as being outlandish yet go almost as far the other way from a bid we are known to have kb'd

You state 25mil as being outlandish yet go almost as far the other way from a bid we are known to have kb'd

It's a fair point didn't realise the Lille bid was widely reported at 16M.

I still do think though like the whole COVID situation is still to be defined in terms of financial impact on the game and at some stage if Alfie does want to move and his contract is running down then there might need to be a compromise.

If we set the fee last year at £20M we are still waiting on a bid like that. It is not ludicrous to suggest that players can be sold for less than previous bids for a variety of reasons.

I think he has improved and developed a bit more in team play but I'm still not convinced overall teams are going to bust the bank for him. We will see.

There are other factors now....his contract has run on a bit and the COVID impact on finances both ways. Maybe FF is right maybe it's going to take 25M I personally think it's job done-we've won a title , he's stayed and now it might suit both parties to part.
Too many not listening DG. We did knock back a better bid last year but that was because we expected more bidders.
The fact is that there are not a lot of bidders and none from the EPL
I truly hope Alfie goes for over £20m but I think it’ll be less than £15m

When I see the likes of joelinton at Newcastle costing nearly 40 million morelos going for nearly a quarter of that is nonsense. I don't care if he's never played in a top league he's a better player than joelinton

It doesn't work like that though and this is what so many are missing...if you are suggesting Alfie would be in relative terms a bargain at £25M then he'd be gone.......scouts aren't asleep totally yes massive fees get wasted regularly but so do 500k fees and 2M ones......

There's a reason he's still here as I think Itten and Roofe were signed so we didn't get left short-that shows us last season no one was matching our valuation.

It's always been an interesting question what will he actually go for....

Too many not listening DG. We did knock back a better bid last year but that was because we expected more bidders.
Did we not decline the offer due to the structure,we wanting a higher percentage up front

Good thing is I trust Ross Wilson and the board won't be selling anyone on the cheap, stuck to our guns last summer and it paid off, although I do believe we need to cash in at the right time, at the right price.

Who is this info coming from?

Lille ended there interest 1 week before the market closed. Most teams haven’t even started there business yet because of the Euros.

There is a long time to go before this window closes, we would be off our heed to even consider €12m at this moment in time.

Too many people think we can get £20m plus for Alfie. It’s extremely unlikely and we’ve only had 2 bids in a year.
There isn’t a bidding war which would drive the price up. COVID has caused an issue for transfer fees.
I would love to keep Alfie but suspect if we get 12m plus add ons he’ll be away.
He is under contract and we don’t need to sell we knocked back 16 million in the pandemic so why would we take 12 that makes zero business sense
They would at least have to match the 16 million and offer a bigger sell on percentage

Utter crap from teams like Brighton going for £50m shows the arse hasn’t fallen out the market
The EPL is an aberration of the market
Out with them transfers of 50 mill+ are for the giants of the game.Even champions league regulars like Porto can only dream of money like that

Highly condescending

What a terrible post

Perhaps they just look at the available evidence and think its an incredibly poor analysis

I thought I read recently that FC Porto were in some financial crisis.

Must have been wrong if they can afford the 20M plus they'll need to fork out for Alfie. :shh:

Too many people think we can get £20m plus for Alfie. It’s extremely unlikely and we’ve only had 2 bids in a year.
There isn’t a bidding war which would drive the price up. COVID has caused an issue for transfer fees.
I would love to keep Alfie but suspect if we get 12m plus add ons he’ll be away.
Too many people think we can’t get £20m plus for Alfie.
We’ll find out who is right soon enough (actually, I hope we don’t) but I see no reason to believe we can’t get what we want for Morelos.
That might not be £20m, possibly nearer £16m today, but if he has a decent start to the season it’s back up to over £20m very quickly.

Did we not decline the offer due to the structure,we wanting a higher percentage up front

With the perilous state of football finances we should be seeking a security/ insurance if we are unable to get a cash upfront deal.

Not that I want Rangers to sell Buff.

I have no evidence to support my bizarre opinion but I'm very negative by nature and I don't believe will get more than 3mil for him
There's nothing negative in selling Alfie for 12M considering we bought him for a million and he's contributed massively to our return to the top. Whether it's 12, 16 or 30M it's not a negative.

Of course we did have posters wanting to sell him for 6M or less during his slump when they won 8.5 but probably those were the same guys claiming 30M a few months earlier.

The poor analysis actually emerges from those who ignore the perilous financial picture COVID has brought to European football and those obsessed with the valuations and fees of Celtic players.

I have zero doubt our spend on strikers last season was due to the fact we thought the departure of AM was imminent the fact that didn't happen suited us fine we were able to spread the load and even Itten who barely featured scored some important goals.

Those claiming 20M plus have to accept his simply not attracted that type of interest and that the biggest offer made for whatever reasons didn't suit the club. In amongst that is the player who clearly sees his longer term future elsewhere-throw in an uncertain transfer market and a contract that is running down then there is a lot of factors influencing what happens next to the player. I think his development was rapid and then has been more tempered but doubts remain about his self-control. Whatever opinion people have on the player and the value of him bottom line is he hasn't attracted interest to match the higher valuation.

Its not impossible in a transfer chain some club sells and sees Alfie as the replacement and have the opportunity due to a massive player player profit decide to get Morelos at 20M. It's also not impossible the club get an offer or offers around 12-15M and because of all the factors involved think it's time to cash in.

My opinion rightly or wrongly it's been a tussle holding onto him our valuation so far has not been met and all things considered we may decide it's time to sell.

Maybe he will take an alternative view and decide the club have valued him too high and he will run his contract down and get the cash that way which is what Eduardo is appearing to do.

Whatever way you dress it up there hasn't been the level of interest in him to match the higher valuations stated on here over time and on this thread. Maybe that will change maybe it won't.

To go back to the start the player has been a roaring success in relative terms and if he can just sort a few things out he can go even further in his career.

There's nothing negative in selling Alfie for 12M considering we bought him for a million and he's contributed massively to our return to the top. Whether it's 12, 16 or 30M it's not a negative.

Of course we did have posters wanting to sell him for 6M or less during his slump when they won 8.5 but probably those were the same guys claiming 30M a few months earlier.

The poor analysis actually emerges from those who ignore the perilous financial picture COVID has brought to European football and those obsessed with the valuations and fees of Celtic players.

I have zero doubt our spend on strikers last season was due to the fact we thought the departure of AM was imminent the fact that didn't happen suited us fine we were able to spread the load and even Itten who barely featured scored some important goals.

Those claiming 20M plus have to accept his simply not attracted that type of interest and that the biggest offer made for whatever reasons didn't suit the club. In amongst that is the player who clearly sees his longer term future elsewhere-throw in an uncertain transfer market and a contract that is running down then there is a lot of factors influencing what happens next to the player. I think his development was rapid and then has been more tempered but doubts remain about his self-control. Whatever opinion people have on the player and the value of him bottom line is he hasn't attracted interest to match the higher valuation.

Its not impossible in a transfer chain some club sells and sees Alfie as the replacement and have the opportunity due to a massive player player profit decide to get Morelos at 20M. It's also not impossible the club get an offer or offers around 12-15M and because of all the factors involved think it's time to cash in.

My opinion rightly or wrongly it's been a tussle holding onto him our valuation so far has not been met and all things considered we may decide it's time to sell.

Maybe he will take an alternative view and decide the club have valued him too high and he will run his contract down and get the cash that way which is what Eduardo is appearing to do.

Whatever way you dress it up there hasn't been the level of interest in him to match the higher valuations stated on here over time and on this thread. Maybe that will change maybe it won't.

To go back to the start the player has been a roaring success in relative terms and if he can just sort a few things out he can go even further in his career.

Good post. I agree there is no queue of clubs wanting Alfie which will means no auction and probably he sells for a lower price that the club would wish.

We have to watch he doesn't do an Edouard and see out his contract. As you say even a £12m sale sees the club make a £10m profit once the Finnish club receive their cut. When you consider that Edouards failed £15m sale to Leicester would have seen the scum realise only a £3m profit, Alfie will make the club a handsome profit if he moves this summer.

If he wants to leave our hands will be tied and we will have to accept a more realistic fee than what our valuation was last season,letts just hope he wants to stay and sign a new deal especially with the lure of potential CL

If he wants to leave our hands will be tied and we will have to accept a more realistic fee than what our valuation was last season,letts just hope he wants to stay and sign a new deal especially with the lure of potential CL
Your not getting a Columbia international aged 24 top scorer in europa league for just £12 million . Chicken feed and until someone comes in with a realistic , less poltray offer he will stay with us . It’s that simple .

Last edited:
Does anyone feel that alfie wants to go? I think in previous years his goal was to move on, but in the last year and especially since becoming a father it seems like he has really settled.

I hope he's here for 56/57/58 and can actually see him staying

Too right he'd be on his way - not sure where this came from but why would anyone go that high when they could almost certainly get him for half that...
I’d take anything that Twitter account says with a pinch of salt mate. He likes a wind up.

Does anyone feel that alfie wants to go? I think in previous years his goal was to move on, but in the last year and especially since becoming a father it seems like he has really settled.

I hope he's here for 56/57/58 and can actually see him staying
Won’t be up to him. Club has to come first as a business really. We are about to implement the new model at long last. I think it’ll be Kamara and one other away this window

He’s out of contract in 2023 so the likelihood is he’ll need to go this summer. We can’t afford an Edouard situation to develop.
If we are going to flog players who are TWO years out from the end of their contracts then we either need to start offering longer contracts (there are signs we are doing with with recent new signings generally being 4 or 4 and a half years I think) or expect significant rotation every season. That, or acknowledge that we will have to offer them new contracts, no doubt on improved terms, whenever they get to that point.

Alfie tends to get his contract extensions around January IIRC so, if he stays, next January would be the time. I do think we've reached a break-point that suits both parties though. Now we just have to find a buyer willing to meet our valuation - and, currently, that won't be easy.

Personally, I'd sell Alfie before the likes of Kent, Kamara, Goldson and Aribo.

If we are going to flog players who are TWO years out from the end of their contracts then we either need to start offering longer contracts (there are signs we are doing with with recent new signings generally being 4 or 4 and a half years I think) or expect significant rotation every season. That, or acknowledge that we will have to offer them new contracts, no doubt on improved terms, whenever they get to that point.

Alfie tends to get his contract extensions around January IIRC so, if he stays, next January would be the time. I do think we've reached a break-point that suits both parties though. Now we just have to find a buyer willing to meet our valuation - and, currently, that won't be easy.

Personally, I'd sell Alfie before the likes of Kent, Kamara, Goldson and Aribo.
If any player has two years left on their deal and isn’t willing to extend their contract then they should be sold. Even with 18 months left their value will have decreased and all it takes is an injury or poor form in January to scupper a move then you’re in a situation like Celtic are currently in with multiple players.

If any player has two years left on their deal and isn’t willing to extend their contract then they should be sold. Even with 18 months left their value will have decreased and all it takes is an injury or poor form in January to scupper a move then you’re in a situation like Celtic are currently in with multiple players.
That would see us looking to sell, or extend, the following this transfer window:

McGregor, McLaughlin, Firth, Goldson, Helander, Katic, Balogun, Edmundson, Kamara, Aribo, Jack, Arfield, Davis, Kent, Jones, Barker, Hastie, Middleton, Morelos and Defoe.

Busy times for Ross Wilson.;)

There are other factors now....his contract has run on a bit and the COVID impact on finances both ways. Maybe FF is right maybe it's going to take 25M I personally think it's job done-we've won a title , he's stayed and now it might suit both parties to part.
Covid was also a factor last summer when we knocked back more. He's now a league winner, has proved himself in europe season after season, has improved his temperament and has become a much better all-round player. Yet you think his valuation should go down? Have a word with yourself.

Oh, and he's scored against the scum, which we all know adds, at least, an automatic 20m Dembele dollars.

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb here I think we would accept 12M for him with a sell on clause. Of course we would try to get more but in the grand scheme of things I don't see the valuation many are stating. To be honest if Alfie was really worth that type of cash some are stating would he be here? There'd be a line of clubs wanting him.

He could go to the very top but he could also orbit around being a player just short of the type that top clubs want.

I think he'd be better off in Europe as he would develop more there and be better suited to that style of football however England is probably the most inflated market to sell to.

Throw in the COVID scenario/financial impact and a Morelos who may want to leave then I can see around the 12M being accepted and the undisclosed tag being used.

We've debated this for years-the fact he is still here for me shows he's not anywhere near being a £25M player.

There is zero chance of us accepting £12 million ffs.

There's more chance of Lana Wolf being accepted in to the nunnery!

Last season was not anything like as likely to attract big money as the previous one was. Alfredo was much more inconsistent in general, wasn’t even our top goal scorer (3rd behind our right back and another striker who played 8 games fewer than him) and he didn’t tear up the Europa League the way he has in the previous season. There were certainly still some outstanding moments, his destruction of Antwerp probably my highlight, but I think we are exaggerating how much of a sure-thing he would be for other clubs to spend their money on.

I agree that £10m is too low for Alfie. However, I don't think its entirely clear about how COVID has affected transfer fees, it may be the case that we are willing to accept a bid of the value that we knocked back last year in the knowledge that there is more now more value to be had when we come to reinvest it.
We look like being 4 players down on our CL qualifiers, Jack, Barisic, Roof, Kamara. Selling him before then would be madness.

Last season was not anything like as likely to attract big money as the previous one was. Alfredo was much more inconsistent in general, wasn’t even our top goal scorer (3rd behind our right back and another striker who played 8 games fewer than him) and he didn’t tear up the Europa League the way he has in the previous season. There were certainly still some outstanding moments, his destruction of Antwerp probably my highlight, but I think we are exaggerating how much of a sure-thing he would be for other clubs to spend their money on.
Wouldn't quite say 'much more inconsistent', he had a rough patch after the Lille bid but prior to Christmas he was still playing well, just not top level, second half of the season he was brilliant. He showed a completely different side to his game and how adaptable he is, that is a highly sought after attribute. While you say he didn't tear up the Europa like before, he finished top of the assist charts this year. Might not have scored as many this year, but he assisted a barrel load and his all round play went up a notch.

Tl:dr

People writing overly negative posts based on nothing than their own gut feeling and then condescendingly telling others they "aren't listening" (last part not you admittedly) as if their excessively negative opinion based on nothing more than supposition, is fact

Its absurd really

Proof will be in the pudding

Actively aiming to knock a fee down to 12 when we already rejected 16 is ridiculous frankly

Good post. I agree there is no queue of clubs wanting Alfie which will means no auction and probably he sells for a lower price that the club would wish.

We have to watch he doesn't do an Edouard and see out his contract. As you say even a £12m sale sees the club make a £10m profit once the Finnish club receive their cut. When you consider that Edouards failed £15m sale to Leicester would have seen the scum realise only a £3m profit, Alfie will make the club a handsome profit if he moves this summer.
Why does their need to be a queue to get a fair fee?

Was there a queue when Tierney went for 25?

When do real clubs let anyone know when they're in for a player? How many players do Rangers sign and you had no inkling.

Again, people are trying to represent one thing as being factually representative of another.

This idea that players only go for the selling clubs valuation if there is a "queue" is just a weird "fact" people have created on here. The two are not necessarily directly linked. They can be. But they don't have to be.

Last edited:
Yesterday we were selling Morelos for £12m, today it’s £10m - fucking FF man :))
But remember, the more you cherry pick the negatives and the more excessively negative your opinion is, the more reasonable you are and your point of view.

Chuck in some random meaningless phrases like their isn't a public queue of World class team's sporting directors waiting to get into Wilson's office and then pull a low ball figure out your ass.

And then decry anyone who doesn't take the most pessimistic view on life as being unreasonable

Back