Hampden Park

It's a rotten dump that's never been touched since the day it was cheaply rebuilt.

Don't think UEFA have been too impressed by it either the SFA did practically nothing with it in the lead up to the handover.

I mean imagine paying a small fortune in a reduced 12,000 capacity and being planted behind the goal bottom row and hardly seeing any of the action :D

Things like that don't go unnoticed.

It's a rotten dump that's never been touched since the day it was cheaply rebuilt.

Don't think UEFA have been too impressed by it either the SFA did practically nothing with it in the lead up to the handover.

I mean imagine paying a small fortune in a reduced 12,000 capacity and being planted behind the goal bottom row and hardly seeing any of the action :D

They would have been better off using Murrayfield.
Not something I like saying, but Hampden produced a nonevent atmosphere-wise.
The SFA needs to be rooted out from top to bottom, they are holding the game back at every turn.

I don't watch foreign football, or even Champions League / Europa outside of us playing, so this is what I have noticed pretty much for the first time. Some of the stadiums are spectacular

The SFA needs to be rooted out from top to bottom, they are holding the game back at every turn.

Another 4k people could have got into the games at Murrayfield as well, if they stuck with 25% capacity.

When you see it from above it looks what it is.
A fucking dump.
Should have been bulldozed and built elsewhere, preferably in the central belt and not in Glasgow.
It hasn't aged well and more though should have gone in to the refurbishment when it took place.

Having said that i still love getting on the train from Central to Mount Florida to go to our games there. The buzz on the train and banter afterwards.

Just can't see where the money will come from to bring it up to the standard we are seeing in the rest of Europe.

One thing that has been noticable during the Euro's is the standard of the stadiums. Hampden has to be the worst of them all and I wonder how it managed to get any games at all.
I was at it during the week to pick something up from the media compound,by %^*& I wish I refused the job.
See the shit I had to go through to get in to the car park (that’s where the compound is)
Had sniffer dogs sniffing my van and guys going round it with those mirrors that they look for bombs with.
Utter farce.

It hasn't aged well and more though should have gone in to the refurbishment when it took place.

Having said that i still love getting on the train from Central to Mount Florida to go to our games there. The buzz on the train and banter afterwards.

Just can't see where the money will come from to bring it up to the standard we are seeing in the rest of Europe.
All the money pretty much went on the atrocious main stand everything else was done on the cheap.

I seem to remember there was promises of doing it up when the sale between Queens Park/Hampden went through ? Obvious bullshit incentives but even then where does the money come from to do any meaningful work on the place ?

For a National stadium it's an absolute eyesore/embarrassment and that's before you get to the poor seating behind the goals/below the cross bar at any part of the ground and the terrible overcrowding issues on the upper concourses.

Couldn't believe that either! If there's only 12,000 there at least put them in the half decent seats ffs!

Very poor for watching football but I have noticed there are othe where fans must need binoculars to actually see the games,I’ve often wondered if the people who design and build stadiums have actually been a spectator at a sporting event.

The Magic Money Tree that the SNP have hidden away.

When was that ever not the case the think tank is still in session.

The aerial shot is a disgrace, not saying it was the best option but imagine Murrayfield with the Castle backdrop, pictures being beamed across the World showcasing Scotland and Scottish football, the idiots in charge chose to continue with a dilapidated old soulless stadium

Last edited:
The atmosphere at Hampden at full capacity is barely any different from having only 12k supporters there.

Home fixtures are meant to be more comfortable because the support is the 12th Man. Hampden nullifies that most of the time.

There's no reason Murrayfield can't host Scottish international fixtures. I can understand (not necessarily agree) with the hesitance in domestic football however.

Without doubt it’s the worst stadium in the Euros. It needs torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. Of course there is no way the finances will be available to do that so what will happen will be another half arsed refurb.

One thing that has been noticable during the Euro's is the standard of the stadiums. Hampden has to be the worst of them all and I wonder how it managed to get any games at all.
It got games because the scotshit government promised fans would be allowed in. It is a complete shithole

Going forward, just do away with it.

We don’t need it.

Throw some money at the SRU and jointly do up Murrayfield.

We don’t need a national stadium. Germany, Italy,Spain, Holland etc all manage fine without one.
Play the biggest games preferably at Ibrox or reluctantly the piggery if capacity is a major issue.
Scotland could play most other games at any of the diddy grounds for all the crowds they attract these days.

I just don’t understand the design. It’s built like an Olympic stadium without the Olympic bit, like a running track.

Why not just make it a normal rectangular football stadium? The view from anywhere behind the goals is atrocious.

I just don’t understand the design. It’s built like an Olympic stadium without the Olympic bit, like a running track.

Why not just make it a normal rectangular football stadium? The view from anywhere behind the goals is atrocious.
They made a pigs arse of the renovations . When you see the kind of stadiums in places like Hungary and khazakstan for hampden being the so called home of football it’s an utter disgraceful, soulless , garbage place to hold a match . £60 million spent and it needs demolished and rebuilt from scratch .

I was at it during the week to pick something up from the media compound,by %^*& I wish I refused the job.
See the shit I had to go through to get in to the car park (that’s where the compound is)
Had sniffer dogs sniffing my van and guys going round it with those mirrors that they look for bombs with.
Utter farce.
To be fair, there have been a couple of bomb threats in this competition. A car bomb was found in Italy and a terrorist was arrested for planning to use a bomb in Budapest. I think it's reasonable to be cautious with who they allow in.

An absolute dump.

The SFA choosing to stay there and buy it off QP was just another one of their bad decisions (that's a long list).

Going in with Rugby and making Murrayfield the national stadium should have been a no brainer with the lack of money in Scottish sport.
I'm sure this would even have convinced the Scottish Government to invest in the stadium with it being a joint venture.

I was saying this to my mates the other day.

It's really noticeable how bad Hampden is compared to every other stadium. It's actually quite embarrassing.

I worked as a brickie on the ahem, upgrade of the North enclosure back in the early nineties, I was doing a bit of work in what would become a toilet area when in walked Farry and another guy in a suit doing one of the fortnightly Friday inspections the SFA hierarchy liked to do.
Guy in the suit asks Farry" 11 million was it the costs, do you think it looks like money well spent"? Farry replied "It's good enough for the peasants".
As an aside, around the pitch there was numerous keep of the pitch signs, Farry strode down the steps and straight onto the turf to walk across to the old main stand side, "HAWL YOU...CAN YOU NO READ, KEEP AFF THE GRASS" I felt duty bound to shout. I survived the subsequent enquiry as to who shouted but the wee foreman Jimmy Boyle ( no that one) knew it was me...lol.

I beg to differ on the cheaply built!, compare the eighty odd million for Hamdump in comparison with Wales’s National Stadium, for approximately twenty mil more. Where I will agree it is a tip with an old fashioned running track of sorts round it, where it’s almost impossible to view. My own thoughts are far too many people made millions from it, like the M74 extension, as well, from the Council of Corruption, with the usual religious Cleek having their noses in it. In short Demolish it!

Some cracking stadiums are hosting Euro 2020 games, then you have Hampden park.

That stadium is an embarrassment and should've been demolished years ago.

I read somewhere that's it up for a refurbishment in a couple of years time. Until that stadium is raised to the ground, there's no point throwing more cash at it.
We probably don't need a national stadium but I'd be sad to lose Hampden with its history and personal memories.
Doubt it will get rebuilt from the ground up as the main stand is relatively new, but would hope a complete rebuild of the other 3 sides would be considered.
I would go for a more rectangular design with rail seating everywhere on the three sides. Would need to be high but would prefer a single tier. Capacity at least 60000 but preferably much more.
I'm not an SNP fan but surely they must realise the propaganda value of spending £50-£70 million on doing up the national stadium.

We don’t need a national stadium. Germany, Italy,Spain, Holland etc all manage fine without one.
Play the biggest games preferably at Ibrox or reluctantly the piggery if capacity is a major issue.
Scotland could play most other games at any of the diddy grounds for all the crowds they attract these days.
Think the problem is underground access for team buses is now required

It started rusting weeks after they "done it up".

Why have they never made the effort to paint it or something, at least once.
It needs more than a lick of paint. It looks delapidated and they need to renovate it,firstly to bring both ends behind the goals closer to the pitch and brought into the 21st century by adding a tier..

I genuinely used to love the old Hampden. First time there was the 1979 league cup win over Aberdeen, been there on too many times to mention. Loved the massive pylon floodlights stretching into the Glasgow skyline and would have butterflies in my stomach as the pipe band would belt out tunes as the bears would be taunting them to play ‘the sash’. Magnificent memories, the three Skol cup games against the sheep, a cracker of a view of Walters and Gough’s two goals in 1990 against the yahoos, next to them in 1986 (2-1) win. Maybe when it was transformed to all seater….sad.

To be fair, there have been a couple of bomb threats in this competition. A car bomb was found in Italy and a terrorist was arrested for planning to use a bomb in Budapest. I think it's reasonable to be cautious with who they allow in.
Shouldn’t have bothered with checks. Be doing us a favour if the whole place was blown to smithereens. No one hurt of course.

It needs more than a lick of paint. It looks delapidated and they need to renovate it,firstly to bring both ends behind the goals closer to the pitch and brought into the 21st century by adding a tier..
Considering the design of the stadium is any of that feasible ?

Also having the upper tiers in the South stand that must be the most pointless addition to the stadium must only be a few thousands seats at the most always a strange sight when going to games there.

Last edited:
Yes i know smart arse,but much better having a new purpose built stadium outside of a big city.Hampden and Ibrox can be a nightmare getting to if the traffics bad.
As a season ticket holder from West Lothian I can confirm that both are a nightmare even when traffic is good B-D

I'd like both rebuilt in Livingston (I'm a couple of miles down the road) B-D

Back