Do you think we can play Tav and Paterson together?

The Goal Machine

Watching Tierney and Robertson for Scotland I am sure a lot of us are wondering if we could do the same.

Two superb players that if it worked would be superb for Rangers bringing pace, invention, skill and goals.

Then there is the counter argument do we have to tinker with a new formation, is it worth it? And as I sometimes think with the Scotland pair does it dilute what each of them brings in their regular position?

The other question is how many games will Paterson play, because like Billy Gilmour they are ready.

I am sure Steven Gerrard and the coaching staff are thinking of this very thing.

What say you?

If you think Clark shoehorning robertson and tierney is a good idea then why not? o_O

In reality though when its plain to see it's a no.

Patterson is 19, he will bide his time and replace tav when time is right, whether that's when tav leaves or when Patterson is too good for tav. Just need to wait n see. No rush.

I may be wildly off here, but did one of the staff not say they were looking at it? I’m sure something was said in a press conference at the time Tav was getting close to being fit.

We shouldn’t have to resort to this if we rotate properly and use the bench well.

He’ll end up with a lot of game time hopefully.

Patterson will overtake Tav for season 2022-23. For the upcoming season, the lad will get more minutes.

Can they play together? I'm sure management will consider the possibilities.

I don’t think we need to copy Scotland (and we better not) to fit them in the team but I would like to see both of them in the team this season. Patterson is good enough now to be playing every week at Rangers level. Tav is definitely capable of playing as a number 8 imo. I think it’s something we should 100% experiment with in pre season to see how it works.

The ceiling for Patterson is so, so high if he starts playing every week. He’s not that far behind Tav imo and he’s 10 years younger. Problem is Tav is so good we can’t drop him.

The way Tav plays, there would literally be no room for Patterson in front of him. And vice versa. They'd end up getting in each other's way.

And we don't want to start to restrain Tav from making his forward runs/moves etc.

So, it's still a no.

It must be tempting… when you have a talent like Patterson you want to play him.

To the benefit of Patterson, I think you put him at the back, and push Tav further up if you want to have a go at this… but I don’t think it will see any serious matches. A friendly or two maybe.

Patterson’s emergence makes it relatively straightforward to sell Tav if a decent bid comes in though - less disruptive than losing Goldson IMO. Tav is 29 at the moment.. last real chance of a move to a middle to lower end of the table EPL side for him is this summer.

On the whole though, as folk have said, I think Tav has one more year as the first choice RB, Patterson as cover and for a proportion of games and then it’s Patterson’s place.

It is entirely likely I'm remembering 2+2 as equaling 5, but I'm sure I recall both Tav and Michael Beale mentioning in separate interviews both playing in the same team. We play such fluid formation patterns I'd easily see how that would be possible for certain situations.

Tav wouldn't be the first right back to move into midfield. I can see Gerrard trying it a few times in games we're comfortably ahead to see if it works. Patterson and Tavernier are both far too good to just come on as a sub regularly so we should be trying and find a way to get them both in the team.

Its not about Scotland as such but you can never rule anything out.

Fernando Ricksen signed for Rangers as a right back in 2000

Fernando Ricksen won a league title and player of the year as a centre mid in 2005.

That said Tav’s main asset is running straight lines on brilliantly timed moments I’m not sure it translates to any other position in our team.

We must get Paterson into the team, he's far too good to be spending time on the bench.

How it can be done, well that's a job for the management.

Would be good to get him out on loan playing every week. That's what he needs at this stage of his career. He's unfortunate that Tavernier is our captain and will play in most games.

If he was made available on loan you would imagine there would be a lot of interest from the other Premiership clubs and probably from a decent level in England as well.

Probably not.
Tav will, quite rightly, start the season as our first choice RB. I doubt he'll finish the season in the same position.

Would be good to get him out on loan playing every week. That's what he needs at this stage of his career. He's unfortunate that Tavernier is our captain and will play in most games.

If he was made available on loan you would imagine there would be a lot of interest from the other Premiership clubs and probably from a decent level in England as well.
No chance he's going on loan.

Tav wouldn't be the first right back to move into midfield. I can see Gerrard trying it a few times in games we're comfortably ahead to see if it works. Patterson and Tavernier are both far too good to just come on as a sub regularly so we should be trying and find a way to get them both in the team.
Did sandy jardine not play right midfield for a time, john greig played in different positions.

I agree with you, we must find a way of playing them both.

Put him out on loan? Absolutely not.

No reason not to give it some thought. It may work or it may not, but I'm certain the coaching staff will look at options. Patterson will need more game time to continue his development, and Tav is an integral part of the team so it would be foolish to not at least see if it can work.

Possibly if we played 4 in midfield in the traditional sense with 2 middle and a left and right. But we don't, so no.

Wouldn't think so as they are both the same type of player whereas biscuit hips has played that position for his club.

It is going to be an interesting season for both players though and I am not sure how it will play out:

On the one hand with Tav adding so much statistically to our team he will play as many minutes as he physically can.

On the other Patterson really needs to be playing 1st team football to keep developing and improving and he's really too good to be sitting on the sidelines or go out on loan.

We don’t have the deficiencies Scotland do to have to try and shoehorn both in.

In a nutshell.

Tav is the best right back to play in Scotland since Gary Stevens and Nathan is still developing and learning off him.

I think he could become even better than Tav, but he's still a season (at the earliest imo) away from that.

He'll keep improving and play more and more, particularly in domestic cups and league games after midweek European matches.

Nope. Play Tav as first choice this season with Patterson backing him up and playing 20/25 games over the season then the following season Patterson takes over and cash in on Tav.

2 good players for every position . We are just blessed we have two really good players in that position

Not a chance. If Tav picked up a knock it'd be one of the worst decisions we'd ever made. He's a once in a generation talent.

Gary Mac said in a press conference at the end of last season that they where or had looked at ways to play both in the same team.

Tav said he would be happy enough in midfield or upfront if it helped. Although I think he may have been joking.

I do wonder if Tav could do the same as Ricksen did for us.

Worth a try I'd say. NP at RB, Tav in the midfield ..
I get your notion, however we have the best two attacking right backs in Scotland, Tav maybe goes for crazy money or Nathan will usurp him eventually.
The Gaffer knows his best 11 - if it’s Nathan or Tav ? I’m sure he’ll make the right choice.

Did sandy jardine not play right midfield for a time, john greig played in different positions.

I agree with you, we must find a way of playing them both.

When the 2 have almost identical skill sets, then thats not possible.

Tav isnt good enough at ball retention to play in our midfield. For me the only way you could play both, is if you stuck one of them at LB after selling Borna. Even then it wouldnt really work, because you would need a left foot to provide the width on the left. Best solution is to give Tav more frequent rest this season and try and get young Patterson somewhere in the region of 15 games, or more if he actually wins the RB position from Tav on merit.

He doesn't need loaned out, he is good enough now.

Watching Tierney and Robertson for Scotland I am sure a lot of us are wondering if we could do the same.

Two superb players that if it worked would be superb for Rangers bringing pace, invention, skill and goals.

Then there is the counter argument do we have to tinker with a new formation, is it worth it? And as I sometimes think with the Scotland pair does it dilute what each of them brings in their regular position?

The other question is how many games will Paterson play, because like Billy Gilmour they are ready.

I am sure Steven Gerrard and the coaching staff are thinking of this very thing.

What say you?
I just said on another thread that couldn't we play him one up from Tav,because I think with the link ups they'd be excellent both got bags of pace and it could prove fruitful for us,akin to the Tav/Candeias link up.

What say you?
I'm absolutely 100% sure that Gerrard and his coaching staff are not trying to figure out how to play their 2 best right backs at the same time as eachother and one out of position. Every time rangers have 2 good players in one position someone comes on here and starts trying to figure out how to play them both at once. You do know you need atleast 2 good players in every position? There is absolutely zero need to try and find a way of playing them both at the same time. They're both excellent in the position they play in, why ruin one of them?

What say you?
I'm absolutely 100% sure that Gerrard and his coaching staff are not trying to figure out how to play their 2 best right backs at the same time as eachother and one out of position. Every time rangers have 2 good players in one position someone comes on here and starts trying to figure out how to play them both at once. You do know you need atleast 2 good players in everything position? There is absolutely zero need to try and find a way of playing them both at the same time. They're both excellent in the position they play in, why ruin one of them?

Patterson will overtake Tav for season 2022-23. For the upcoming season, the lad will get more minutes.

Can they play together? I'm sure management will consider the possibilities.
How can you say that for certain? The guy has been our mainstay RB, captain and arguably our predominant creative outlet for years and you think a breakthrough youngster, who’s not exactly had many senior games, will probably be in place to overtake him after 1.5 seasons?

Only way I see them both in the team is if we go with a back 3 or a 4-4-2. Can't see it happening just to accommodate 1 player.

Give Nathan the early rounds in the cups and use him more off the bench, plenty of time for him.

I may be wildly off here, but did one of the staff not say they were looking at it? I’m sure something was said in a press conference at the time Tav was getting close to being fit.
Tav said it in a presser...he even said the gaffer can try him up top...he was joking of course

Is this a stealth “should we play Tav as a midfielder” thread from seasons past. Lol

Patterson will be an understudy and then make the position his own.

Both are excellent, out and out modern day fullbacks, so it is a bit of a dilemma for the coaches.
I'd like to hear Gerrard and the coaching staff's plans for Nathan. He cannot benefit from spending another season on the bench, and despite this recent injury, Tav is a machine that doesn't tire and is seldom injured.

Back