Match Thread Tranmere Rovers v Rangers, Rangers TV, ko 12 noon

Kelly should stay. The kid has the correct attitude and desire to improve. I'd rather him with Davis, Kamara, Lundstram et all every day then 40 games at a Motherwell or Dundee under poorer managers.
Yeah no doubting his attitude or commitment or the fact he’ll improve in better company every day. With Jack and Arfield still to come back into the mix though his game time is likely to be limited.

Would all depend on the loan move, the gaffer might be keen for him to follow Mcpake down south or go abroad similar to the deal Middleton was offered.

Reactions: SDF
Not in the least concerned and although I always like to see us win, the main purpose of these games is getting physically and match fit.

Midfield is normally the strongest part of our team and the possession retention and control of Kamara, Jack and Arfield was the biggest miss.

Davis was the only midfielder on his game.
Wee Tom was bugging up the new lad at the end .don't see 1st half so can't comment ,but that shake of the head from the gaffer tells me that it was possibly big George won't be around starting 11 and possibly match squad ,barker ,Middleton and I'm Tony say it this early big Itten could be another shipped out

No. All these songs are something what the edl would sing and tommy robbinson and his lads. People like them think we fit their agenda when we clearly don't. It's an embarassment.
That you now throwing us in with the edl? Jesus christ, do you do pr for the SNP, this is just right up their street.

All joking aside today told us nothing new.

Most of the big hitters weren't there or just back from injury.
Edmundson, Middleton, Jones, Barker were destined for the chop. Still are IMO.
Simpson/Edmundson are not a patch on Katic never mind the main three CH's right now
Bassey and Kelly have the correct attitude, effort and desire to stay with the squad.
Gerrard and the team have a blind spot with certain players. From trying to play barker consistently, Simpson is another one of those I suspect. We have so many players to shift out a squad that’s becoming bloated.

Yeah no doubting his attitude or commitment or the fact he’ll improve in better company every day. With Jack and Arfield still to come back into the mix though his game time is likely to be limited.

Would all depend on the loan move, the gaffer might be keen for him to follow Mcpake down south or go abroad similar to the deal Middleton was offered.

Fair point but given Arfield and Jack's injury records then I think there's every chance Kelly could rack up a fair number of appearences next season.

Jack has missed 40% of games since he's been here. Arfield's either 100% fit or well off the pace. There's no inbetween.

Zungu made over 20 appearences despite not featuring until November and would've had 4/5 more had he not picked up the covid ban.

Kelly can play for us this season. No doubt in my mind.

OK, we should probably have been 3 up in the first half, but I don't agree with the playing it down, it'll be alright on the night sentiments - at the end of the day we've just lost to Tranmere Rovers & that is not a good look. We are not too big, or too good simply to shrug it off.

No need to panic as such, but there are some things we need to be wary of at this stage of the season - sloppiness setting in & becoming the norm, complacency, and 2nd season syndrome, where having now won the league, some players drop their levels and/or start to think about looking elsewhere - am sure the management will be on it.

As for the horrific RTV coverage, the least said the better...
Yeah, complacency will probably be our biggest threat for the season ahead.

As a support we'll need to chill out a bit too.

Very unlikely we will manage a 102 point season again but its likely that 90+ points will easily win the league as I think the tims are going to struggle.

So we'll be dropping something in the region of 14 to 24 points in the season. People need to get a grip l if they are going to go nuts every time we don't get the win.

Good for the fitness but not much else to be positive about.

I’d imagine the gaffer will be looking to move Jones, Edmundson, Barker and possibly Middleton on permanently. None of them are good enough. Mayo looks awkward at both full back and midfield, not sure he’ll make the grade either.

Kelly is the dilemma, he’s shown up well so far and could be a squad option. He’d benefit from another season on loan though IMO playing 30+ games.
To be fair to Middleton and Mayo I didn't see the game but sounds like both weren't played in their preferred positions? Hard to judge them on that if that's the case.

Simpson will. He just doesn’t look overly confident, commanding, has a mistake in him. Saw that in domestic games last season.

Simpson has the tools to be a CH but clearly needs a full season or two of first team football because the lack of football he's played at the age of 24 is staggering.

OK, we should probably have been 3 up in the first half, but I don't agree with the playing it down, it'll be alright on the night sentiments - at the end of the day we've just lost to Tranmere Rovers & that is not a good look. We are not too big, or too good simply to shrug it off.

No need to panic as such, but there are some things we need to be wary of at this stage of the season - sloppiness setting in & becoming the norm, complacency, and 2nd season syndrome, where having now won the league, some players drop their levels and/or start to think about looking elsewhere - am sure the management will be on it.

As for the horrific RTV coverage, the least said the better...

This!

Only thing I got for it was the players lacking that match fitness, to be expected and its what these games are for. On a positive note, if they can beat us in a friendly..... can we beat Real Madrid?
Would they be second favourites for the league next season?

Gerrard and the team have a blind spot with certain players. From trying to play barker consistently, Simpson is another one of those I suspect. We have so many players to shift out a squad that’s becoming bloated.
To be fair, Barker does have qualities.
It just seems like we can't find a role for him.
He's not exactly going to replace Kent.

For players like Itten the problem is that they don't get a run in the team. I bet at his last club he was playing week in and week out but maybe it took him a good few weeks to get going. He's not going to get that at Rangers where he's behind Morelos and Roofe in order and so he's expected to come on and be right on it.

That's always going to be a downside of needing instant success. Many player who could have been great will just come and go because we simply can't afford to give them 5 to 10 matches to finally come into their own.

Reactions: TPP
Biggest negative for me: A rendition of ONPOR unbelievably! Please please stop singing bigoted/sectarian crap and represent Rangers properly. It’s brilliant that these guys are there and have gone to the trouble and expense of travelling to support Rangers. They do it with great passion but they need to do it with Rangers very best interests at heart. I’m sure that is the intention and yet they (perhaps unwittingly??!) end up singing stuff that makes Rangers fans appear bigoted/sectarian. Surely fans must know by now that this stuff is going to be heavily condemned should it be picked up and this then hurts Rangers - the very thing that they so dearly want to support!
Sing about Rangers loud and proud and once and for all leave the old, dated, quite frankly wrong! - attitudes behind.

Biggest positive: A lovely cross field pass over to the left wing by Lundstram. A lovely asset for us going forward.

I'll just put a positive spin on this for the nutters among us. We've got a good chunk of our squad minutes in their legs, that is and always will be the purpose of games this early. Kents back and looking hungry, big bassey looks like he is a very able replacement for borna when called upon, young Kelly has the hallmarks of a young Barry ferguson the way he runs and passes is identical on the eye and should be a starter for us this season at home to lower end spl teams giving Davis a rest which keeps him sharp for the bigger games. I saw absolutely nothing that suggests we will see a drop off of last seasons levels at all... What I saw was two experimental line ups and 45 minutes of game time fitness gained

I can't tell who is being serious or sarcastic in this thread.
It's a pre season friendly when we fielded 22 players.
Now I'm off to the RTV thread, that's something to really moan about

Fuk.ing hell an absolutely nothing game start of pre season. Champions 55, the best one for me in my lifetime .Now we are shite. Don't believe half of the folk on here

Just got back in, was expecting to hear of a comfortable win and the team line up would've suggested such, but no.

Getting beat 1-0 by EFL League Two, come on, regardless of it only being a friendly, that a ridiculous result.

Pre-season friendlies are all about building confidence and getting the players into condition for the season ahead.

Yes different players were used and different formats introduced, but do me a favour, getting beat by Tranmere, with the so called talent we have at our club, that's embarrassing in anybody's language.

Still it was only a friendly..............

No I see things from a balanced point of view. And no I'm not throwing us in with the edl. I'm saying alot of them sort of people think we appeal to them which we don't.
The vast majority of our fans are pro british, always have been. That's why you'll see plenty union flags around them.

All the club and supporters enemies are in scotland and the likes of the falls rd in NI. I have no idea why you would even mention the edl who are a nothing, in numbers and followers.

It's just a song ffs, stop looking into it so much. It's no more than a gentle piss take. It was even germans that wrote it ffs, seems they've got a better sense of humour and that's saying something.

Biggest negative for me: A rendition of ONPOR unbelievably! Please please stop singing bigoted/sectarian crap and represent Rangers properly. It’s brilliant that these guys are there and have gone to the trouble and expense of travelling to support Rangers. They do it with great passion but they need to do it with Rangers very best interests at heart. I’m sure that is the intention and yet they (perhaps unwittingly??!) end up singing stuff that makes Rangers fans appear bigoted/sectarian. Surely fans must know by now that this stuff is going to be heavily condemned should it be picked up and this then hurts Rangers - the very thing that they so dearly want to support!
Sing about Rangers loud and proud and once and for all leave the old, dated, quite frankly wrong! - attitudes behind.

Biggest positive: A lovely cross field pass over to the left wing by Lundstram. A lovely asset for us going forward.
Listen mate they spent there hard earned money to watch the teddy bears. today is not the day to go after them like the natzi party do.

Just got back in, was expecting to hear of a comfortable win and the team line up would've suggested such, but no.

Getting beat 1-0 by EFL League Two, come on, regardless of it only being a friendly, that a ridiculous result.

Pre-season friendlies are all about building confidence and getting the players into condition for the season ahead.

Yes different players were used and different formats introduced, but do me a favour, getting beat by Tranmere, with the so called talent we have at our club, that's embarrassing in anybody's language.

Still it was only a friendly..............
We controlled the game for pretty much 85 minutes. Worked the ball into nice areas but our crosses were all to Tranmere players and our shots we’re either straight at the goalie, blasted over the bar or embarrassingly wide.

They scored a nice goal, but we failed to clear our lines twice.

I agree, it really is a poor result. But the poorest thing was just how hopeless we were when we had the ball in or around their box.

It’s almost like players weren’t even bothered about trying to pick out a Rangers player - instead just lashing it aimlessly across the box.

Still plenty of time to improve in pre season though.

ONPOR?

The vast majority of our fans are pro british, always have been. That's why you'll see plenty union flags around them.

All the club and supporters enemies are in scotland and the likes of the falls rd in NI. I have no idea why you would even mention the edl who are a nothing, in numbers and followers.

It's just a song ffs, stop looking into it so much. It's no more than a gentle piss take. It was even germans that wrote it ffs, seems they've got a better sense of humour and that's saying something.
You're missing the point. We Love our pro british antiques.

I'm basically saying its an embarassment as you get likes of tommy Robinson and his followers trying to use our club to spout his bile. You can be pro british and point out what's wrong. Loads of our fans find it embarrassing now

People are definitely getting a bit carried away with the criticism of today’s performance. I personally think we should Viking Blood Eagle one player (maybe Jones?) to send a message that this is unacceptable. If the players are living in fear that they will be the victim of an ancient ritual execution, if they perform that badly again, it will guarantee 56 imo.

That's a bit extreme. Hanging from the main stand would be quite acceptable and in full view of all.
Pity we don't do crucifixions at Ibrox B-D B-D

Last edited:
Back