Match Thread Tranmere Rovers v Rangers, Rangers TV, ko 12 noon

Cant even get a start? Its a pre season with pre selected teams. Its not a first XI ffs.
Folk that dont understand football need to watch another sport or stay off of FF.
I despair with some folk
Mate he did not get starts last season even with AM out. If you don't think Itten is well out of being a top player for us your in denial. The manager has consistently failed to play him even from the bench. Some of us can see further than just today's game, even if you can't.

Mate he did not get starts last season even with AM out. If you don't think Itten is well out of being a top player for us your in denial. The manager has consistently failed to play him even from the bench. Some of us can see further than just today's game, even if you can't.
Haha aye ok. You know better than Gerrard? You should contact Rangers with your obvious expertise. It's wasted on here

Agreed....

Middleton won't make it with us. Jones & Barker have had their chances & just look the same unconvincing players they always have.

I had hopes for Bassey & Edmondson but as time goes on I now doubt they'll be regulars - although Bassey might get his chance if Barisic was suddenly sold late in the window. Simpson doesn't look to be imposing enough.

Kelly is neat & tidy on the ball but I think would probably benefit from another loan.

None of them have the slightest chance of ousting any of our current first pick players & IMO today simply cemented it.
Our fringe players arent very good.
As you say, time to move some on.
I cannot see Bassey being a regular tbh.

Explain more as to why, I should give it a break.

I'm intrigued to understand why.
It’s a friendly, half the team missing, rest of lads very little game time in legs. And the biggest one, these boys are league champions and went last season unbeaten in league so they deserve a break and not criticised during a pre-season friendly by absolute bangers. That enough for you?

It’s a friendly, half the team missing, rest of lads very little game time in legs. And the biggest one, these boys are league champions and went last season unbeaten in league so they deserve a break and not criticised during a pre-season friendly by absolute bangers. That enough for you?
Aye, kind of what I expected though. You didn't disappoint. ;):)

Just got back in, was expecting to hear of a comfortable win and the team line up would've suggested such, but no.

Getting beat 1-0 by EFL League Two, come on, regardless of it only being a friendly, that a ridiculous result.

Pre-season friendlies are all about building confidence and getting the players into condition for the season ahead.

Yes different players were used and different formats introduced, but do me a favour, getting beat by Tranmere, with the so called talent we have at our club, that's embarrassing in anybody's language.

Still it was only a friendly..............
Who is over reacting exactly?

Losing to Tranmere 2nd game of pre season or not is very poor even with the squad we had today

Think we need to move a few players on like Jones, Barker, Middleton ect

Hoping Sakala can come in and give us something different. Not picking him out but Il be honest I'm not sure Itten is the man going forward but hope I'm wrong.... id like to us add another number 9

I dont pay to much attention to friendly's but expect a much better performance than that and let's be honest if it was them with that result against Tranmere we would be taking great delight in discussing how the league was now a formality. They went 1 behind against Sheffield and the league was as good as over. Complete over reaction at all times on here.

I'm sorry to be typing this, but something we constantly read on here, and rightfully so, is about how Tim fans meltdown over the slightest thing. A few people in this thread are really making us look no better. I literally can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here after a friendly against tranmere. Batshit mental boys fecking calm down man:)) :))

I dont pay to much attention to friendly's but expect a much better performance than that and let's be honest if it was them with that result against Tranmere we would be taking great delight in discussing how the league was now a formality. They went 1 behind against Sheffield and the league was as good as over. Complete over reaction at all times on here.
I agree and disagree. I'm not concerned about a loss in a friendly where we've played a mix of players who never usually play together. However you're 100% right that if it was celtic we'd all be getting excited about their poor result.

Granted he was very poor today
Itten has never been given a consistent run of games. I'm not saying he will be amazing, but what I am saying is I won't make that judgement until he has a consistent run of games.

After todays performance who will cut it?
Itten is the new whipping boy. We have a bad performance which is a mix between players who haven't played together playing together, inexperienced players and players who lack sharpness and/or haven't ever had a proper run. A pre season friendly is an experiment. That's all it is. It's the gaffer and coaching testing stuff out. It ls rarely about winning. It's purely used an experiment. We've saw the best teams in the world lose friendlies to poor teams then go on and do something incredible the next season. And sometimes the negatives in these games become the positives in the important games. That's the whole point of these. The whole team was poor today because it was nothing but an experiment and to start picking out players and making Itten the whipping boy just because he's an easy target as he didn't get a proper chance to prove himself last season?? Mentalists on here man.

BTW I'm agreeing with you mate:))

Itten is the new whipping boy. We have a bad performance which is a mix between players who haven't played together playing together, inexperienced players and players who lack sharpness and/or haven't ever had a proper run. A pre season friendly is an experiment. That's all it is. It's the gaffer and coaching testing stuff out. It ls rarely about winning. It's purely used an experiment. We've saw the best teams in the world lose friendlies to poor teams then go on and do something incredible the next season. And sometimes the negatives in these games become the positives in the important games. That's the whole point of these. The whole team was poor today because it was nothing but an experiment and to start picking out players and making Itten the whipping boy just because he's an easy target as he didn't get a proper chance to prove himself last season?? Mentalists on here man.

BTW I'm agreeing with you mate:))
I actually wonder how some of the folk on here function on a day to day basis. Some of the stuff that is written is a genuine cause for an intervention.

I actually wonder how some of the folk on here function on a day to day basis. Some of the stuff that is written is a genuine cause for an intervention.

Just got back in, was expecting to hear of a comfortable win and the team line up would've suggested such, but no.

Getting beat 1-0 by EFL League Two, come on, regardless of it only being a friendly, that a ridiculous result.

Pre-season friendlies are all about building confidence and getting the players into condition for the season ahead.

Yes different players were used and different formats introduced, but do me a favour, getting beat by Tranmere, with the so called talent we have at our club, that's embarrassing in anybody's language.

Still it was only a friendly..............
So basically preseason friendlies are all about progression, Is that what you're suggesting? They are, I agree. They're about experimenting and finding out your flaws aswell as strengths. And progression sometimes comes from making negatives into positives. The best teams on earth have lost friendlies to really poor opposition prior to going on and achieving incredible moments in their following competitive seasons. Friendlies are a productive experiment in which you go on to make any negatives in to positives. Friendlies are matches in which the aim is not necessarily to win but to figure stuff out. And you my friend, are just coming across as absolutely mental. If our aim against Tranmere was soley to win we'd have humped them, and you must surely know that yourself given what you watched us achieve last season? This friendly was purely just for the coaching team to have a wee look at some experimental stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Far too many writing off Jack Simpson, I think we’ll see more of him than they expect. At this point he needs a steadying influence and he’s not going to oust Goldson or Helander but if one, or possibly both, go due to bids we can’t refuse, he’ll play.
Also think a partnership of Katic and Simpson has future potential.
He needs to strengthen mentally and physically but that’ll come.
Yip. Well said. And also has to play games with his team mates before they can all click together. People forgetting the purpose of a friendly on this thread. Apparantly it's all about winning

Are people actually taking a friendly result seriously? :D

Of course I don’t like seeing us being beat but it means absolutely zilch, nada.

Are the same posters now worried about Celtic? :p

Only managed to catch the 1st half, thought we were poor as a team at their goal but should have been in at the break afew goals to the good. There was deficiencies on show in front of goal that means we should now go to the training field and work on them, another game down, more minutes in the legs and now another week to work on the tactical side of the game and getting more lung busting running done

Theres nothing wrong with a wee reality check at this time of pre season get there feet back on the ground their heads back in the game and LETS GO AGAIN

Theres nothing wrong with a wee reality check at this time of pre season get there feet back on the ground their heads back in the game and LETS GO AGAIN

Use it to our advantage. Plus, we also had missing;

We fielded a side yesterday without;

McLaughlin
Patterson Katić Helander Barišić
Jack Ofoborh Kamara
Arfield Morelos Sakala​

So basically preseason friendlies are all about progression, Is that what you're suggesting? They are, I agree. They're about experimenting and finding out your flaws aswell as strengths. And progression sometimes comes from making negatives into positives. The best teams on earth have lost friendlies to really poor opposition prior to going on and achieving incredible moments in their following competitive seasons. Friendlies are a productive experiment in which you go on to make any negatives in to positives. Friendlies are matches in which the aim is not necessarily to win but to figure stuff out. And you my friend, are just coming across as absolutely mental. If our aim against Tranmere was soley to win we'd have humped them, and you must surely know that yourself given what you watched us achieve last season? This friendly was purely just for the coaching team to have a wee look at some experimental stuff
After reading your post above and (I agree with most of it)do you think that was a success yesterday?
I always looked at friendlies as a chance to blood young players,new guys who are coming to the club,gain match fitness,score goals and get the confidence up.
Some of the players yesterday have had a good while to prove to the manager if they are up to the mark and yet again seem to be lacking when it counts.
Now I’m not reading anything into that yesterday but any Rangers team selected should have been good enough to beat a league 2 side.I didn’t see the game as I was working.I can only take from it what I’ve been told and read.What do you think went wrong?Im not coming the cu*t here I genuinely want to know.
I think there were players there who have and never will be good enough for Rangers.That’s not just on yesterday’s result either.

Agreed, wasn't a great performance from several players, but do you think itten will come good for us? I just don't see it with him.
I do. Remember people wanted Borna sold. People wanted Hateley sold. You can see he has what it takes. You arent an international striker for nothing. He is a different type of striker from Alfie. Itten scored a number of crucial goals last season. He will do so again this season

In the second half 8 of the 10 outfield players that started most likely will start very few games, I’m sure if the manager was desperate for a win he would’ve gave the first half team a rocket and sent them back out with Kent and Aribo on as well and we would’ve romped it.

He wasn’t happy that we played the way we did and the second half team who were getting a chance didn’t show much, but if we really wanted to win we would’ve kept a full strength team for the second half. It’s still about fitness at this stage, plus as others have said we have basically another full starting 11 still to come in.

I do. Remember people wanted Borna sold. People wanted Hateley sold. You can see he has what it takes. You arent an international striker for nothing. He is a different type of striker from Alfie. Itten scored a number of crucial goals last season. He will do so again this season
Fair enough m8, it's a no from me. As I've said before though, I'd love it if he proved me wrong!

After reading your post above and (I agree with most of it)do you think that was a success yesterday?
I always looked at friendlies as a chance to blood young players,new guys who are coming to the club,gain match fitness,score goals and get the confidence up.
Some of the players yesterday have had a good while to prove to the manager if they are up to the mark and yet again seem to be lacking when it counts.
Now I’m not reading anything into that yesterday but any Rangers team selected should have been good enough to beat a league 2 side.I didn’t see the game as I was working.I can only take from it what I’ve been told and read.What do you think went wrong?Im not coming the cu*t here I genuinely want to know.
I think there were players there who have and never will be good enough for Rangers.That’s not just on yesterday’s result either.
I don't think anything went wrong mate. I think it was a friendly.

Itten has never been given a consistent run of games. I'm not saying he will be amazing, but what I am saying is I won't make that judgement until he has a consistent run of games.
So who do we loan him out to for that to happen?

So who do we loan him out to for that to happen?
What you asking me for:)) go ask someone at the club. I'm no making the decisions. I simply stated that I don't judge players until I've saw them get a good run of starts.

A meaningless game in every sense bar getting the players back in their stride for when the season starts; in that sense it fulfilled its purpose. We also have a few crucial players either not playing at all, or not long back.

Back