Match Thread Tranmere Rovers v Rangers, Rangers TV, ko 12 noon

Didnt see the match but the last time I saw Tranmere on TV 3 or 4 years back, they had fat guys playing.

I'm hoping they've improved a bit looking at that result. :)

Defoe missed two sitters that you would have bet your house on him scoring, why he went for the low cross with his right foot was a puzzler.

Might be tazza but I've been around a long time and hate to see any drop in our standards. I hate the thought of us getting sloppy.
We started last preseason much faster and sharper. Today and the game against Partick were rank rotten. Now to actually show a bit in the remaning games to build up confidence.

I think quite a few, maybe all of the fringe players today done themselves no favors. They won’t get many opportunities and simply have to shine when they do. I really didn’t see anything out of any of them that will have our regular starters worried about any kind of fight for their positions.

It’s harsh that they get measured different but these aren’t friendlies to get match time and fitness for them. These are the very few opportunities they will get to become first team players.

Agreed....

Middleton won't make it with us. Jones & Barker have had their chances & just look the same unconvincing players they always have.

I had hopes for Bassey & Edmondson but as time goes on I now doubt they'll be regulars - although Bassey might get his chance if Barisic was suddenly sold late in the window. Simpson doesn't look to be imposing enough.

Kelly is neat & tidy on the ball but I think would probably benefit from another loan.

None of them have the slightest chance of ousting any of our current first pick players & IMO today simply cemented it.

Agreed....

Middleton won't make it with us. Jones & Barker have had their chances & just look the same unconvincing players they always have.

I had hopes for Bassey & Edmondson but as time goes on I now doubt they'll be regulars - although Bassey might get his chance if Barisic was suddenly sold late in the window. Simpson doesn't look to be imposing enough.

Kelly is neat & tidy on the ball but I think would probably benefit from another loan.

None of them have the slightest chance of ousting any of our current first pick players & IMO today simply cemented it.
In the two friendlies Kelly has been our best player why should he go out on loan …if he starts to struggle fair enough but not when he has looked so comfortable on the ball and has been great and refreshing to watch

We need t trim the squad, it would be good to see the likes of barker/jones/edmundson/simpson go on loan/leave.

Didn’t set my 4am alarm for this one so caught the 7 min highlights.

Only concern for me was the shocking defending leading up to the initial corner and subsequent poor clearance for the goal.

Where the hell are Sakala and Ofoborh?

There's about 9 players in that squad today who won't be near it come our first competitive game of the season.

Simpson, Middleton, Edmundson, Maxwell, Mayo, Williamson, Kelly, Barker, Jones.

We have about a full team who aren't there today only a pre season game nothing to get concerned about but not surprised to hear the same old stories about certain fringe players looking miles off it.

I would hate to think what a full Ibrox will be like if the team put in a sloppy performance. :rolleyes:

Sadly we’ve already seen what it’s like and most of us have experienced it many times. It’s not for the faint of heart, there’s such a contrast between our home support and away support at times.

We’ve got some fans who are certified mentalists with absolutely no middle ground.

What is it with people who don’t realise pre season kick snouts mean absolutely zilch , zero , Nadia results wise ? The thing that we benefit from in tease games is Gerrard sorts the ones who don’t show him what he needs to see and shows them the door . Remember the liverpool friendly ? Was a turning point for some who left like lafferty and for Borne who stayed and look how well he did for us . Calm down bears

Last edited:
Not moaning in the slightest mate just an observation from the game of football I watched.
You do know it's a football forum right? Where people give their views on football, in this case Rangers.

I do yes, but your criticising the squad quality, then pick out 2 guys who are not going to be in the squad......guys that everyone knows are pish, hence the reason they got sent out on loan and wee are trying to get rid.

What is it with people who don’t realise pre season kick snouts mean absolutely zilch , zero , Nadia results wise ? The thing that we benefit from in tease games is Gerrard sorts the ones who don’t show him what he needs to see and shows them the door . Remember the liverpool friendly ? Was a turning point for some who left like lafferty and for Burns who stayed and look how well he did for us . Calm down bears
Burns?

I would hate to think what a full Ibrox will be like if the team put in a sloppy performance. :rolleyes:
There are a few games last season that would have had the screeching fannies up in arms and transferring their permanent rage/anxiety onto the park. Every excuse in the book gets rolled out for them - standards, fear of 10IAR bla bla bla. It'll never ever change sadly.

It is all about getting the squad up to match fitness. I was there today and though 1st half looked ok and could have been two up before they scored. Lundstrom looks a big strong lad. Was not happy with Roofe, thought he was poor tbh.
Second half I liked Kelly, Aribo quite tidy and Ryan Kent showed great skill/speed. Barker continues to frustrate. Bassey and Jones disappointing and Itten is never Rangers class.
Disappointed to lose to a team from League 2 in England. Have to commend the effort and leadership of Jay Spearing for them.

Today and all friendlies mean diddly, but one thing I am a bit surprised about is the fringe players not putting in a right shift to try get in the managers thoughts. If it was me I'd busting a gut to stick in a good performance to try get in the team.
I was thinking about something after the Partick game and also from seeing England do well at the Euros.

Basically, in modern football, a team like us is all about the system. We don't have access to the truly world class players who can win a game on a moment of brilliance (and even then these moments are facilitated by an overall system) so we are relying on a way of playing more than say an individual player single handedly winning the game.

Today I don't believe that players like Barker and Jones have been told to just go out there and win us the game. They will be working on instructions given to conform to a system or way of playing.

Its kind of impossible for them as Jones, for example, could just let loose and go and do his own thing and score 2 goals and set up another 2 but when Champions League qualifiers come around he will ABSOLUTELY be expected to play to exact specifications.

Itten and Defoe are the only ones who could really be looked at and asked "why are you not taking these chances that have been created"?

Might have been different when you had Laudrup or Gazza out there and you can reasonably rely on them to give you something so they can just do whatever.

I think the fringe players are already condemned to their position of fringe player and there's not much they can do to impress the manager so much that Gerrard might think "OK Edmundson was so good there I might drop Goldson". Or swapping Jones in for Kent etc. Its just not going to happen.

The best the fringe lads can hope for is that they show that they understand the managers vision and that they can be relied upon to come in as a replacement and execute their specific roles.

Thats a thing we are seeing discussed at the Euros where managers are criticised over the players that they've left out, even though these players are in good form, but the counter to that is that the manager doesn't need to pick the best players. He needs to pick whoever can play the system. England always seemed to fall victim to that with the media going nuts because so and so is on the bench but more recently its accepted that the team plays a certain way and the best player for the system is the player who will play.

So for us there really isn't that much room for a player to just come out there and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win it for us IF the player needs to deviate from the system to get that done. It might work v Tranmere in a friendly but in Zagreb in a CL playoff 2nd leg (example) we'll more likely need players who can understand and execute a really specific game plan.

The last few seasons we have been in preseason earlier and therefore fitter at this point in the season.
In the last three seasons we would have already played the first leg of a European qualifier so we would need to have been up to speed by now.
We are 3 weeks away from our first league game and more than that to our first UCL qualifier.
Therefore, it is no surprise that the schedule this season is behind that of the last three seasons.
That’s what we have to bear in mind as there is no point getting them totally match fit now as we need to train them to be at their peak in three weeks time.

It’s clearly not good enough, the managers reaction tells you that, and the fringe players most certainly didn’t help their cause but it’s hard to get to upset over a pre season friendly.

Only concern for me was the shocking defending leading up to the initial corner and subsequent poor clearance for the goal.

beyond strange given they were signed well before last season ended.

should be in position isolated if required and ready to go

Today and all friendlies mean diddly, but one thing I am a bit surprised about is the fringe players not putting in a right shift to try get in the managers thoughts. If it was me I'd busting a gut to stick in a good performance to try get in the team.
Unfortunately for them they mean a lot to the manager. He has binned people to the sidewalk for poor performances in these matches.

Ofoborh is potentially carrying a knock, Sakala had passport issues which held up him arriving in the country so he is isolating

There are a few games last season that would have had the screeching fannies up in arms and transferring their permanent rage/anxiety onto the park. Every excuse in the book gets rolled out for them - standards, fear of 10IAR bla bla bla. It'll never ever change sadly.
You’d hope they’d relax a bit after us winning the
League. But you’d have thought they’d realised years ago that booing because we’re drawing at half time and screaming because we’re passing from the back is counter productive, but nah. They pay their money and are entitled to help the opposition etc.

I made that 4 first team starters today if we have a full team to pick from - arguably five but for me Kent, Aribo, and Morelos are the first choice attack when in a crunch match when one of Jack or Arfield are fit for midfield beside Kamara and Davis. So realistically it was mostly the fringe players who missed an opportunity today.

Poor result , Melon set up perfectly like an SPFL team , good goal and they fought well for the win , worst we have played in years but credit to them . Seen they are 16s going to put them on e/w .

Far too many writing off Jack Simpson, I think we’ll see more of him than they expect. At this point he needs a steadying influence and he’s not going to oust Goldson or Helander but if one, or possibly both, go due to bids we can’t refuse, he’ll play.
Also think a partnership of Katic and Simpson has future potential.
He needs to strengthen mentally and physically but that’ll come.

In the two friendlies Kelly has been our best player why should he go out on loan …if he starts to struggle fair enough but not when he has looked so comfortable on the ball and has been great and refreshing to watch
Wasn't having a pop at Kelly, he's been fine, but currently Jack, Arfield, Davis, Lundstram, Kamara, Aribo, Ofoborh & Hagi (there may be others...) are likely to feature before him, so I don't see him getting much game time.

You're missing the point. We Love our pro british antiques.

I'm basically saying its an embarassment as you get likes of tommy Robinson and his followers trying to use our club to spout his bile. You can be pro british and point out what's wrong. Loads of our fans find it embarrassing now
We have very few openly SNP fans. Good. I don't think you'd enjoy showing yourselves openly.

Cheers for the info! Has this been officially communicated by the club or just snippets from reporting?
Ofoborh was seen in training pics, but hasn’t been seen since and Gerrard said in an interview that some were carrying knocks so 2+2 etc.

Regarding Sakala, yeah Gerrard said in an interview he had some visa/passport issues which held up his arrival and is now in isolation.

Back