Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social media needs cracked down on, These days you see more fake profiles or no pic profiles than normal ones. These accounts chat as much shit as they like and make a new account as soon as it is banned.

It is not the only place Racism exists obviously but it is full of it and also promoting it in some way. Over the top fines and household bans if possible would do alot for it.

More on topic tho, I disagree with the knee but i very much disagree with boo'ing it also. Just let the players who wish to do it continue in there own way.

I am absolutely sick of hearing from people in our support who think their personal views are somehow more important than the whole of Rangers and don't care how it damages the club.

It's not rocket science, the vast majority of people don't agree with you and you make the rest of us and the club look like complete idiots. I will say it again, you are not more important than Rangers so stop acting like you are.

I also really, really don't want to be at Ibrox next to someone booing and nor do most people so think about that next time you open your mouth.

Yes they do nothing as I will likely do nothing for fear of the backlash towards our club.

Which to be honest is awful, many players are obviously feeling forced to continue something against their believes for fear of being wrongly labelled racist.
Apologies for quoting myself below, but is saves time:

Just quickly; the players have been clear to the point of being completely transparent that this is an anti racism gesture and not a BLM reference.

Repeatedly.

People who continue to boo saying 'I don't support BLM so that's why I'm booing' fall into three camps at this point.

1 - Genuinely stupid. Like, to the extent of needing help getting dressed in the morning.
2 - Wilfully obtuse, refusing to back down when they have been shown to be misguided.
3 - A bit racist.

If, after being told by everyone involved that it isnt anything to do with BLM and you still boo, what on earth are you booing?

See when people say taking the knee is in support of the BLM organisation and Connor Goldson comes out and say we're not doing it as a political gesture why do people still say the gesture is a political one?

Do you believe Goldson?
Do the people look at Tav (who 18 months ago they were frothing at the gash over him driving a lamborghini to training because we weren't playing well) and think 'that lad there is fully signed up to the philosophies of Karl Marx'?

In fact, do the people who are shouting about Marxism actually understand Marxism? Have they read The Communist Manifesto and all 3 volumes of Das Kapital to be able to form a nuanced opinion?

Go on lads, let's have a discussion thread in the lounge where you explain what Marxism is, with reference to the original text.

I say that as someone who us very much against Marxism as a sociopolitical model for a country and has read the books to inform my opinion.

Almost a year old.

Things have changed for a lot of folk now protesting. Possibly the outpouring of rage from middle-aged white guys telling black people what is acceptable as a protest against racism?
Does it matter how old it is? In fact, that tells you that after only six months Les Ferdinand could see it was having zero impact and the message had been lost.

I wish we somehow had the ability to know and ban everybody who boo’s it for life.

Or at least some to send out a message.

The bond between the players and support has never been as good for as long as I can remember and the fall out this could cause along with maybe even some players wanting to leave because of it makes me feel furious.

Keep your f*cking mouths shut for 10-20 seconds wether you agree with it or not.

Does it matter how old it is? In fact, that tells you that after only six months Les Ferdinand could see it was having zero impact and the message had been lost.
I think the second sentence in my post answers and rebuffs your question.

If you don't want to watch the manager Steven Gerrard and the team take the knee then stand outside on the concourse until the referee blows his whistle.

On the contrary everyone has the mandate/right to boo whatever they want.

and everyone else has the right to disagree with it and criticise the people who do.

I don’t really fancy an environment where this isn’t the case.
Celtic fans and Scottish Nationalists are desperate for you to boo. Rangers players don't want you to boo.

I noticed you said you've not decided whether to boo or not. I can imagine it's a really wrenching decision.

I reckon the Venn diagram of people who bang on about Marxism, anti-vaxxers, fans that boo players taking the knee and idiots who sing sectarian songs in Europe would be interesting.

By interesting, I mean a list of people I really don’t want to talk to.

At least in real life you can spot complete morons, they usually wear celtic tops.

Yes people who boo, that's the level you are at. Making everything about your personal beliefs and politics and sticking your fingers in your ears at the rest of the world.

Your opinion is your opinion. I dont really care tbh. I only care if you were to choose to boo or defend the right of folk to boo. This is the crux of the argument here.

Nobody has a mandate to boo anyone. Thats the end of the debate.

I'm not saying you were going to boo btw but you get my point.
No one has a mandate not to boo either. It cuts both ways. Your ending the debate. Really? We still live in a quasi-free society. No thanks to you.

Just because you have freedom of speech...it doesnt mean you have to use it. Just shut the fck up for 10 seconds.

Also 'freedom of speech' doesn't mean freedom from consequence - in this case the consequences are - alienating players who we love, creating bad headlines for the club and just generally being though of as an absolute thundercunt.

If you think booing is worth those consequences, crack on. But you aren't a Rangers fan if you're adversely affecting the players and club.

F.A.O anyone who wants to boo, nobody actually cares about your reasons, the mhedia are licking their lips in anticipation for the opportunity to denigrate our whole support, think about it ffs.

It's all there for them. With the SNP and the tramps needing a distraction I fully expect another media pile on if there is any booing.

Expect the usual suspects to chip in with comment as fuel.

Use a different gesture then rather than the exact same one BLM have been using for years!!!!
How about you stop telling our black players how to protest racism?

Think about it for a minute, your position appears to be 'well, it's OK for you to protests, but only this way, or this way. Anything else is just you being uppity, and it upsets my ideals'

Give it a fucking rest.

How about you stop telling our black players how to protest racism?

Think about it for a minute, your position appears to be 'well, it's OK for you to protests, but only this way, or this way. Anything else is just you being uppity, and it upsets my ideals'

Give it a fucking rest.
Surely there is a right to protest the means of protest? Are we still a democracy or has FF gone all proto-fascist SNP totalitarian as well? Football deliberately embraced BLM last Summer when it was politically expedient to do so. BLM was flashed on our screens during coverage, taking the knee was explicitly linked to it. That link is ineradicable. We have been conditioned to connect the two. Forgive some of us for hating that and all it represents - not least the loss of scores of lives and destruction of many black business and neighbourhoods in US cities last year. Businesses without any insurance - riot damage wasn’t covered. All this in the name of racial equality.

BLM and the knee has politicised football. This genie ain’t going back into the bottle any time soon. BLM and their Communist cadres are bent on destroying all unifying cultural institutions that give shared meaning to our lives. Look at the NFL, NBA and baseball. They want to turn us against one another. It’s working. No?

Booing the knee is effectively a form of political protest. It isn’t directed at the players.

Just because you have freedom of speech...it doesnt mean you have to use it. Just shut the fck up for 10 seconds.

Also 'freedom of speech' doesn't mean freedom from consequence - in this case the consequences are - alienating players who we love, creating bad headlines for the club and just generally being though of as an absolute thundercunt.

If you think booing is worth those consequences, crack on. But you aren't a Rangers fan if you're adversely affecting the players and club.

Just because you have freedom of speech...it doesnt mean you have to use it. Just shut the fck up for 10 seconds.”

Take five minutes to reflect on these words and ponder their absurdity.

Supporters are not being asked to take the knee.

STFU for the 6 seconds it takes our players to do it and respect their decision..

..or, stay outside until kick off if it offends you so much you are incapable of STFU for 6 seconds.
I commented on the other thread so I'll keep this succint.

I will never boo, but I don't think the players should be doing this gesture (another gesture to symbolise the same message? No problem).

The reason I think this? It's inextricably linked to the BLM organisation. The name was emblazoned on the back of jerseys in the EPL so it's hardly a jump to link the two. So the problem is players doing the gesture innocently then becoming a recruiting and legitimising tool for the actual organisation.

Think if a Nazi salute was adopted by white players to support LGBT initiatives. That would be an instant recruiting tool for neo Nazi groups.

Can't believe we're still on this. Must be about 2000 posts this week alone counting all the binned/locked threads.

Put the symbolism and meaning aside if it helps the tiny minded and boil it down to this - if you choose to boo the actions of a Rangers player you aren't the ones who get to win this argument.

Just stop it. Stick your petulant, man baby lip out if you must but just stfu for all of ten seconds. You'll doubtless spend the rest of the game berating them for misplaced passes anyway so i'm sure it wont kill you to take a breather.

Surely there is a right to protest the means of protest? Are we still a democracy or has FF gone all proto-fascist SNP totalitarian as well? Football deliberately embraced BLM last Summer when it was politically expedient to do so. BLM was flashed on our screens during coverage, taking the knee was explicitly linked to it. That link is ineradicable. We have been conditioned to connect the two. Forgive some of us for hating that and all it represents - not least the loss of scores of lives and destruction of many black business and neighbourhoods in US cities last year. Businesses without any insurance - riot damage wasn’t covered. All this in the name of racial equality.

BLM and the knee has politicised football. This genie ain’t going back into the bottle any time soon. BLM and their Communist cadres are bent on destroying all unifying cultural institutions that give shared meaning to our lives. Look at the NFL, NBA and baseball. They want to turn us against one another. It’s working. No?

Booing the knee is effectively a form of political protest. It isn’t directed at the players.
You can't claim that taking the knee is ineradicably linked to BLM - despite the players saying they're not doing it for BLM and then claim that booing the knee when the players take isn't booing the players.

Booing when those players choose to take the knee is ineradicably linked with booing the individuals and their belief/choice on the matter.

Agree, however are our players taking the knee? After the Kamara situation they decided to stand.
Because at that moment, that week when the rest of the footballing world was kneeling, it was a more powerful message for our players to stand in solidarity with their comrade (that's for the Marxists) to highlight what he had experienced.

If they then choose to kneel again then that is their choice. I really don't get why it's a debate.

We have a number of players who have never played in front of a packed Ibrox, players of all colours and persuasion. The stories they will be getting told by those lucky enough to have witnessed our support at its finest will make those new players desperate to experience that passion and commitment and, if the players replicate that, we are in for another fantastic season, only better, because we will be there to physically witness it. Some of these players who have delivered for us believe in taking the knee, we would, in the majority, all have taken the knee immediately after the Kamara situation and yet now we have people discussing not taking the knee.

I would love to think that everyone in Ibrox on Saturday and from then on, even if they do not agree with taking the knee, keep their opinions on it to themselves, do not give our haters any ammunition and don't allow the potential for fan on fan confrontation.

A lot of people were in sheer disgust when MoJo signed, but when he scored the 88th minute winner against them, that was celebrated in the way a Rangers goal should be. Lets show we are above all of this and prove we are better than the other side of Glasgow, the real racists and bigots.

Just because you have freedom of speech...it doesnt mean you have to use it. Just shut the fck up for 10 seconds.”

Take five minutes to reflect on these words and ponder their absurdity.

Nothing absurd about it. Free Speech isn't Consequence Free Speech. If you are happy with the consequences - crack on. Boo our own players. But don't moan when our club gets dragged through the mud again.

Celtic fans and Scottish Nationalists are desperate for you to boo. Rangers players don't want you to boo.

I noticed you said you've not decided whether to boo or not. I can imagine it's a really wrenching decision.
I don’t concern myself with the opinions of such.

The decision for me is based around how our players could take it.

Also thank you for your condescending sarcasm.

I don’t concern myself with the opinions of such.

The decision for me is based around how our players could take it.

Also thank you for your condescending sarcasm.

Ok then, what about the rest of our support, do they not matter?

Are your opinions so great they are valued above everyone else's and you absolutely must get them across at a sports game, no matter the consequences?

Ok then, what about the rest of our support, do they not matter?

Are your opinions so great they are valued above everyone else's and you absolutely must get them across at a sports game, no matter the consequences?
I’ve said in this thread that I don’t know what I will do yet.

I’ve also said in this thread that my opinion isn’t worth more or less than anyone else’s.

What you are saying mate goes both ways, are people who are in favour of taking the knees opinions so sacrosanct that nobody is allowed to voice their disagreement to it?

Because at that moment, that week when the rest of the footballing world was kneeling, it was a more powerful message for our players to stand in solidarity with their comrade (that's for the Marxists) to highlight what he had experienced.

If they then choose to kneel again then that is their choice. I really don't get why it's a debate.
Not arguing bud. Was just asking if we were taking knee or continuing to stand. Hence the question mark.

Think if a Nazi salute was adopted by white players to support LGBT initiatives. That would be an instant recruiting tool for neo Nazi groups.
This is kind of inane but if you want to take a poll of how many people have become radical Marxists after seeing footballers take a knee for a few seconds (even though they've told us this isn't political), I'll happily contribute. I suspect the number might be somewhere around zero.

I would say that the vast majority of the support are like myself.
They won’t boo . But they are sick to the back teeth of this nonsense.
Why the f*** can’t we go to the football without having this rammed down on our throats!
Why can we watch sky sports without having it rammed down our throats!
Why can we come on follow follow without people thinking they can ram it down our throats.
Because people are still routinely abused for the colour of their skin.

When that stops then it won't need to be highlighted.

Bet you post the same during pride too.

He doesn’t want to be reminded that black people have to deal with racism when he’s out to enjoy a day at the fitba.
It's really not that complicated (albeit that's been said a number of times and folk are still going some length to make it so).

It doesn't matter a fck if the players go down on one knee, stand with one leg in the air, hold a banner, wear a t-shirt. We know what they're doing, they've told us why they're doing it. It's causing zero disruption. It's asking nobody else to take part in the act. Either you support them in their message or you don't. Attaching the gesture to things they have actively stated they are not doing it for is willful on the part of those who are choosing to oppose it and, regardless of whether they want to accept it or not, their opposition IS towards the players who have chosen this stance.

I commented on the other thread so I'll keep this succint.

I will never boo, but I don't think the players should be doing this gesture (another gesture to symbolise the same message? No problem).

The reason I think this? It's inextricably linked to the BLM organisation. The name was emblazoned on the back of jerseys in the EPL so it's hardly a jump to link the two. So the problem is players doing the gesture innocently then becoming a recruiting and legitimising tool for the actual organisation.

What a fucking take.

You realise there is a difference between BLM as an organisation and BLM as a sentiment? And this has been explained so many times that I can only imagine those still persisting with this particular line of pish are wilfully ignoring it to suit their insane argument.

Oh aye, taking the knee is the same as a Nazi salute.

You utter crank.

The shit this could potentially cause is frightening.

Rangers need to sort it out one way or another.

The mess that mob are in and we are probably going to steel the headlines with booing of taking the knee, some of our support or f*cking brain dead.

And trust me I wish it was binned it’s causing more division than unity but it’s not so stfu for the 10 seconds it lasts for.

Welcome to Sturgeons Scotland where if you say anything wrong or untoward ban them ( How Fascist) So are you also suggesting that people who sing No pope of Rome, F*** the pope and the Vatican and about Tully shaking his rosary beads should all be banned as well ?
You can’t have it both ways !
Would I want Rangers to ban people who knowingly and deliberately act in a way that potentially causes reputational and financial damage to Rangers for no other reason than their own pig-headedness? Too right I would.

I’ve said in this thread that I don’t know what I will do yet.

I’ve also said in this thread that my opinion isn’t worth more or less than anyone else’s.

What you are saying mate goes both ways, are people who are in favour of taking the knees opinions so sacrosanct that nobody is allowed to voice their disagreement to it?

Going by your logic we should allow a bunch of guys to start singing about the SNP and create a wee group that is protected in doing so. Obviously their opinions still matter, right?

Here is the facts. If you boo most people will think you are actually racist or at best very, very stupid and it makes us all look bad. It may also cause trouble at Ibrox if someone from the majority takes offence, which makes also us all look bad.

If you care at all about your fellow supporters and the players playing for this team, just shut the %^*& up for 10 seconds and stop making it about yourself.

It really boils down to if you are anti-anti-whatever, you are pro-whatever.

If you are anti-anti-slavery, you are pro-slavery.
If you are anti-anti-corruption, you are pro-corruption.
If you are anti-anti-capitalism, you are pro-capitalism.
If you are anti-anti-fascism, you are pro-fascism.
If you are anti-anti-racism, you are pro-racism.

No matter what word spaghetti you want to use to try and wriggle out of how you aren't pro-racism, if you are "anti" an anti-racism protest, you cannot get upset when people rightly say you are pro-racism, which in everyday language is a racist.

If you are proud to stand up and boo black players in an anti-racism protest with all you have, then wear your "racist" badge with the same level of pride as well, and don't get upset when politicians and media say Rangers have a racist support.

Would I want Rangers to ban people who knowingly and deliberately act in a way that potentially causes reputational and financial damage to Rangers for no other reason than their own pig-headedness? Too right I would.
Some people’s views on this are incredible, a real eye opener.
It appears the only thing I have in common with these people is the team we support.

The shit this could potentially cause is frightening.

Rangers need to sort it out one way or another.

The mess that mob are in and we are probably going to steel the headlines with booing of taking the knee, some of our support or f*cking brain dead.

And trust me I wish it was binned it’s causing more division than unity but it’s not so stfu for the 10 seconds it lasts for.

You will absolutely have a thread on here sometime this season where someone complains they were shouted at, slapped or kicked out and try to paint themselves as the victim.

I really don't want to be sitting near someone who is stupid enough to boo our own players in this way :(

The opinions "rammed down our throats" patter is laughable. No one cares when it's opinions that they happen to agree with.
All these poor delicate souls spend all day getting things they don't like rammed down their throats (incidentally, in real life I've found that many of these are the same people who are religious and evangelise at every opportunity). Meanwhile, the rest of us get on with our lives without having our throats invaded by anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back