Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be up for debate all day.

End of the day, no one should be booing our players for it.

It could be up for debate often and should be, correct, because actually having conversations around it is part of the process which will help eradicate racism and remove it,

Actions like players taking the knee raises awareness, starts conversations etc. The people who want to boo that and run away from it, and just %^*& it all off because they "don't want to look at politics", aren't going to solve much at all really, other than something they see as an issue to them and then alone.

It is actually admirable our players (and others) have the courage of their convictions to do it despite being booed by a pretty small % of fans.

The reason people think there is MORE racism now across the board is because it has become more acceptable for players to speak about it...

I dont know what the f**k your on about, refusing to emphasise with families losing kids. I have told you about people who I know have been killed by these organisations.

Spoke to the young son of a lad in south belfast who was slaughtered by the provo's. So sorry, but I'll ignore your advise.
So your response is to ban people that don’t like the same thing happening to Palestinian children because the IRA used to exist?

Ok mate.

There is zero good that can come from booing. Zero.

Every single person boing is saying a massive “f@&k you”to Kamara, Roofe, Goldson etc. You are telling them you couldn’t care less about the racism they’ve endured this year.

Also, you are doing more damage to the club that any one of our haters could every dream of doing. The whirlwind of shit that we are about to reap in the press doesn’t bear thinking about. Instead of looking forward to this weekend, I’m actually dreading it.

if you boo, then you are no friend or supporter of Rangers.

While I don't totally agree with the whole BLM movement I will be backing our players 100% on this anyone that thinks footballers especially black ones are taking the knew because its a" Marxist defund the police attacking war memorials organisation " then your dead in the brain. All there trying do is highlight racism and we've seen plenty of that especially in football over the last 6 months
Use a different gesture then rather than the exact same one BLM have been using for years!!!!

We live in a democracy and everyone is entitled to believe in something where it’s right or wrong.
I don’t believe in booing the knee But the day we say you can’t do it then we are in a bad place.
Rangers as a private business are absolutely allowed to tell people they aren’t welcome if they make the players feel uncomfortable

I dont know what the f**k your on about, refusing to phasise with families losing kids. I have told you about people who I know have been killed by these organisations.

Spoke to the young son of a lad in south belfast who was slaughtered by the provo's. So sorry, but I'll ignore your .
He's saying it's stupid to draw equivalences in two entirely different situations and that rather than takes sides on complex situations, you should probably try to focus more on the people who are impacted as a result of those political situations on both sides. I can see where the attraction to view complex situations through very, very limited worldviews comes from but personally I'd rather not appear simple. Apologies to Helander if I've oversimplified his posts but I think you need the help.

Why do they need to make it about them? This is what I don't get. I'd genuinely like one of them to explain it to me.
“You there, black fellow.

I demand that you explain to me why I should not boo you for having the temerity to raise awareness for the dreadful inequality you and your ancestors have suffered in the face of white societies and cultures for hundreds of years.

Explain yourself!

No?

Well then, I have no other recourse. You’ve brought this on yourself.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”

Why didn't they stage their protests (take the knee) prior to the George Floyd incident?

Racism was just as prevalent before that happened.
Taking the knee in sports grounds started long before George Floyd, regardless of whether that particular incident increased the global highlighting of it.

Regardless of the timeline, our own players have, and continue to be victims of racial abuse and that included a globally high profile incident against Kamara last year in our own stadium.

They are making their own choice on how they would like to send a particular message in continuing to highlight it. They have been clear about why and that it is nothing to do with BLM.

I am of the view that they are entitled to do so, are causing no harm and are asking nothing in return other than to be respected and heard.

If our own supporters cannot untangle their own sensitivities from applying political contexts and arguments to decry (even vocally in the stadium) a peaceful and brief moment that is of importance to our players, then it says a lot more about the tolerances and acceptance of those crying foul than it does of those taking the knee.

Absolutely nothing is being asked of anyone in the stadium, nobody has to take the knee or applaud it. Just shut up and respect it.

Last edited:
The OP posed a valid question, most of us have had our tuppence worth.

Should the booing e drowned out by a song in support of Kamara?

For me it’s definitely a yes.

We are a week away from participation in a UEFA sanctioned event and FARE are waiting for us, drown it out, even more f it’s only for the optics and to stop the stadium getting shut.

Here’s the deal.

The players have specifically said it’s nowt to do with toppling statues, attacking policemen or Marxism etc.

The black men in our squad are asking for a wee bit of help about something they care about. Give them a bit of support.

The brain dead of another persuasion - how about helping the club and keeping your mouths shut. This tripe is Kryptonite.

Last edited:
“You there, black fellow.

I demand that you explain to me why I should not boo you for having the temerity to raise awareness for the dreadful inequality you and your ancestors have suffered in the face of white societies and cultures for hundreds of years.

Explain yourself!

No?

Well then, I have no other recourse. You’ve brought this on yourself.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”
NURSE!!! he's out his bed again!

Thoroughly depressing thread.

If you put your views ahead of this club, then I don’t see why you would believe you’d be welcome at Ibrox.

There’s clearly many views on taking the knee, but the 99.9% are able to respect our players and keep silent for the 30 seconds or so it takes.

To reiterate if you boo, you’re damaging our club, insulting our BAME players and are utterly selfish.

We live in a democracy and everyone is entitled to believe in something where it’s right or wrong.
I don’t believe in booing the knee But the day we say you can’t do it then we are in a bad place.

Do you have that same opinion when scum fans boo during silence for the war dead?

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, and the club should be entitled to ban any supporter who decides to vocalise his/her opinion that promoting anti-racism isn’t for them.

There is zero good that can come from booing. Zero.

Every single person boing is saying a massive “f@&k you”to Kamara, Roofe, Goldson etc. You are telling them you couldn’t care less about the racism they’ve endured this year.

Also, you are doing more damage to the club that any one of our haters could every dream of doing. The whirlwind of shit that we are about to reap in the press doesn’t bear thinking about. Instead of looking forward to this weekend, I’m actually dreading it.

if you boo, then you are no friend or supporter of Rangers.
As someone who disagree with taking the knee and stood silently on Saturday and Sunday with an overwhelmingly embarrassment and anger at those who booed, I couldn't agree more.

If anyone is booing, especially after the Kudela incident, I hope they don’t come back to Ibrox.

It means a lot to our players so everyone should back their right to take a knee.
Lifetime bans. The boy from Livingston explained it perfectly. Players have came out time and time again explaining why they ate doing it. Anyone still hiding behind the 'political' or 'Marxist' rhetoric as an excuse to do it is a racist.

The players have explained it a billion times now. No more excuses. If you boo don't come back.

Here’s the deal.

The players have specifically said it’s nowt to do with toppling statues, attacking policemen or Marxism etc.

The black men in our squad are asking for a wee bit of help about something they care about. Give them a bit of support.

The brain dead of another persuasion - how about heing the club and keeping your mouths shut. This tripe is Kryptonite.

This is it right on the nose.

It isn’t political in the slightest. They just want to continue to raise awareness, it’s not for us to tell black people what is or isn’t an ‘empty gesture’.

I personally don’t agree with taking the knee, but booing the players is a no-go.

If the boys want to take the knee in solidarity of their fellow players, I’m on my knees with them as they play for my club. I’d rather do that than booing them, thereby disrespecting them.

Taking the knee didn't start with George F

Taking the knee in sports grounds started long before George Floyd, regardless of whether that particular incident increased the global highlighting of it.

Regardless of the timeline, our own players have, and continue to be victims of racial abuse and that included a globally high profile incident against Kamara last year in our own stadium.

They are making their own choice on how they would like to send a particular message in continuing to highlight it. They have been clear about why and that it is nothing to do with BLM.

I am of the view that they are entitled to do so, are causing no harm and are asking nothing in return other than to be respected and heard.

If our own supporters cannot untangle their own sensitivities from applying political contexts and arguments to decry (even vocally in the stadium) a peaceful and brief moment that is of importance to our players, then it says a lot more about the tolerances and acceptance of those crying foul than it does of those taking the knee.

Absolutely nothing is being asked of anyone in the stadium, nobody has to take the knee or applaud it. Just shut up and respect it.
Taking the knee only became a "thing" in the UK, particularly football stadiums after the George Floyd incident.

I wholeheartedly agree that booing one of our own is the behaviour of an idiot however the reasons behind why may not be obvious. But its easy just to shout racist!!

It's going to be a hard for people come Saturday night to try and defend the club when the inevitable articles come out about "racist Rangers fans booing the players taking a knee" after we stuck up for Kamara.

We know it's a small minoity of morons, but to the outside world it doesn't, they say the headline and just assume the worst.

It's a depressing thought.

So your response is to ban people that don’t like the same thing happening to Palestinian children because the IRA used to exist?

Ok mate.
I'm ok with that and if you believe the IRA dont exist, then I think you are very much in a minority.

It's going to be a hard for people come Saturday night to try and defend the club when the inevitable articles come out about "racist Rangers fans booing the players taking a knee" after we stuck up for Kamara.

We know it's a small minoity of morons, but to the outside world it doesn't, they say the headline and just assume the worst.

Alongside other clubs we should aspire to like eh, Millwall.

I think the excuse for booing is they equate kneeling with the Black Lives Matter organisation which had a manifesto that espoused Marxist views.

Personally, I think this is just an excuse for racists to be racist whilst pretending they're not racist. The gesture actually came from an American football player rather than the Black Lives Matter organisation. And it was because he didn't want to stand for the American anthem whilst he felt the countries police force were racist.

It's pretty clear to me the players are protesting racism rather than calling for a communist revolution when they take the knee. Not sure how others have become confused about it.

It was Martin Luther King Jnr, who first took the knee ,when he knelt to pray to God when stopped by the police from having a peaceful protest away back in the early sixties.

Last edited:
Could the club come out and all the players and distance themselves from BLM? Im sure that would put a stop to the boo's.
Have the players and everyone else doing it in football not already said that it’s not political, multiple times across many different mediums?

The could say it every day and there would still be people who would hit out with “Aye, but the movement” despite being told it’s nothing to do with that.

Also, it is not for us (presumably predominately white people on this forum) to tell the victims of racism (predominantly black people in this instance) how they should and shouldn’t protest.

Its indefensible and should be called out IF it happens

Hopefully it wont

It’s an open goal for the club to gain bad press what about regardless of views on the subject just nobody boo and don’t give them what they want & that’s to paint a bad picture of the Rangers support as a whole.

It’s five seconds and our players clearly feel they need to continue to take the knee they’ve explained they aren’t doing it in support of anything else associated.

Positive people go through there days thinking about this I forgot it even exists until a game starts :))

Taking the knee only became a "thing" in the UK, particularly football stadiums after the George Floyd incident.

I wholeheartedly agree that booing one of our own is the behaviour of an idiot however the reasons behind why may not be obvious. But its easy just to shout racist!!
It may be easy to shout racist, but it's also easy to see why folk may make the association given if they are not booing the anti-racist message and are claiming to be booing Marxism, BLM or AN Other thing, they are targetting players whose stance is openly stated to be nothing to do with any of them.

It's straight-forward. Our players take the knee to highlight ongoing racist abuse towards them - nothing else. Anyone booing them or opposing them doing so is opposing that and only that, regardless of what they think they are complaining about.

Its indefensible and should be called out IF it happens

Hopefully it wont

It's already happened at the home game so far.

More people due at the game against Livi, with Sky being there. You can bet they won't have their microphones turned down this weekend.

Sadly I think it's not a matter of if it happens, it's a case of how bad it is :(

It's already happened at the home game so far.

More people due at the game against Livi, with Sky being there. You can bet they won't have their microphones turned down this weekend.

Sadly I think it's not a matter of if it happens, it's a case of how bad it is :(

Do what the OP suggested.

Racism online seems to have increased since taking the knee, doesn't bother me if they take it, just find it pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back