Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, because when we announced it a lot of clubs followed. The players had ‘had enough’ of token gestures and said it didn’t work but here we are again back at the gesture that ‘didn’t work’.

Rangers nailed it when we announced meetings with social media platforms, that is real action.

I’d go as far as saying racial abuse in football has gotten worse since ‘taking the knee’.
It's not, it is now just spoken about on a wider platform and heightened awareness which was part of the point.

It was reported on the news as such.
No, it was (falsely) reported on here and Twitter as such. That info was from another point in the Euros (after the first game against Croatia I think). The numbers after the final were far, far higher.

Astonished me that people would rather just bury their head in the sand and pretend there isn't a racism problem in this country, than just take steps to stop racism in this country.

I don’t really care about those links, they don’t magically make Israeli actions justifiable, you saying that people who empathise with Palestine should be banned is laughable.

Rangers football club has nothing to do with the troubles, it has nothing to do with politics.

The bottom line of the matter is that if someone turns up to Ibrox and boos the players for protesting racism after witnessing them go through a very tough year because of racist abuse, they are a complete lady's front bottom and shouldn’t be let back in.
You dont care about links that attacked your country.

I've heard it all now.

If opposing racism is strictly far left then I wouldn’t want anything to do with anyone to the right of that. Of course it isn’t a far left movement anyway because I’m not on the far left and I back the players 100%, as will other bears who aren’t on the far left.
Even if we say it is something that’s far left for arguments sake. Why boo an anti racism protest rather than just accepting you share a view with people on the left?

No, it was (falsely) reported on here and Twitter as such. That info was from another point in the Euros (after the first game against Croatia I think). The numbers after the final were far, far higher.

Astonished me that people would rather just bury their head in the sand and pretend there isn't a racism problem in this country, than just take steps to stop racism in this country.
Please point out the mass right wing movements in Britain? You won't find any, never has been, even back in the 70's when the NF were meant to be at their strongest.

I dont bury my head in the sand, I know there is problems with prejudice and hate.

I'm not Racist as the people I hate are white scottish nationalists. Nothing else really bothers me but them.

Even if we say it is something that’s far left for arguments sake. Why boo an anti racism protest rather than just accepting you share a view with people on the left?
People are against BLM pure and simple. Its a dangerous organisation.

Do you attend BLM rallies and take the knee yourself?

Taking the knee. :rolleyes: I thought we were done with this?
I'm against it. I don't like the organisation which this all stemmed from, 'BLM', a group of thugs who want to defund our police, gathers in numbers to trash the place and tear down statues....and that does not mean I'm a racist bigot or someone who doesn't support equal rights!
It just means I want to go to watch a game of football without any political statements being thrown in my face.

That’s not why Goldson, Kamara and co are doing it.

In this case you need to support the players, or just be silent.

Social media and politics have been a horrendous combination.

It's essentially radicalized middle aged men. Far left this, far right this, marxism this, communism that.

Utter morons,

It’s not hypocritical if you believe our players when they say it’s just an anti racism protest.

if you want to put words in their mouth and pretend it’s about marxism so you can boo with a clear conscience then you have a point.
I haven’t mentioned Marxism in any post.
Nor have I booed a player for taking the knee.
Our players shouldn’t be involved in politics at all.
We already do our bit with club initiatives.
Why do we need to do more?
How would you feel if they expressed solidarity with Israel, or even the Conservative Party?

Can we not just go back to watching football? I stand with our players 100% but race gender and politics have infested every walk of life and people are sick of it. The Rangers support are NOT racist.

It’s not about the support, they merely have to be respectful and stay quiet for 5 seconds. It’s about the players, more so those who have been subjected to racism. And as long as racism infests all walks of life, so should the anti-racism message.

Can we not just go back to watching football? I stand with our players 100% but race gender and politics have infested every walk of life and people are sick of it. The Rangers support are NOT racist.
Nail on the head. 99.99% of fans just want to watch a game of football without rainbow laces, BLM banners, taking the knee etc etc.

Football has been hijacked by societal problems.

BTW anyone booing our own players are off their nut.

Not only would be the booing of players taking the knee be crass, but at a time when there is so much to be positive about with Rangers, they would be once again handing a gift to those in the Media and public who are quick to see the negatives where we as a support are concerned.

To those people I would ask you to stay silent but again I have no great faith you have the intelligence to see the downsides.

I support our black players and Glen Kamara as 99% of our support do.

I haven’t mentioned Marxism in any post.
Nor have I booed a player for taking the knee.
Our players shouldn’t be involved in politics at all.
We already do our bit with club initiatives.
Why do we need to do more?
How would you feel if they expressed solidarity with Israel, or even the Conservative Party?
I’m not attacking you, I’m just saying it’s only hypocritical if you think anti racism is political debate rather than basic human decency

So are you suggesting that you are a better supporter than someone who doesn’t believe in players taking the knee? Believe me you are not !
Like you I don’t believe in booing the knee. But that does not give you the right to call those who do brain - dead.
Do I believe I'm a better supporter than someone who is booing our own players? Yes.

The club and fans need to discuss this because it’s going to be embarrassing.
Just blocked that clown on Twitter.

Honestly, at this point I can’t even be bothered explaining why booing our own players is bad. I mean for Christ’s sake, why should anyone have to explain that!?

If you don’t like the gesture, just remain quiet. It’ll be over in five seconds, and you and our club won’t be embarrassed.

No doubt the throbbing members who boo the knee will be incandescent with rage when our chromosomally challenged neighbours across the city boo Remembrance Day // A Royal Death // the introduction of mandatory baths.

Any chance we could get our beloved sport without all the political or societal baggage?
I guess that might have a better chance of happening when the societal and political baggage isn't being brought in via people (including players) being racists in the first place.

When football players are being targeted within football grounds as well as outwith it, then it doesn't strike me as unreasonable that they use these arenas to stage their protests against it.

Something that happened decades ago does not have a bearing on how I view modern day atrocities. You need to have a serious rethink if that shapes everything in your world view.
I dont need to have a rethink about anything. History is what makes us and the problems in your country are far from over.

So are you suggesting that you are a better supporter than someone who doesn’t believe in players taking the knee? Believe me you are not !
Like you I don’t believe in booing the knee. But that does not give you the right to call those who do brain - dead.

People who repeatedly bring negative PR to Rangers are braindead though.

You see it in Europe every single season.

Feel like banging my head against a brick wall seeing a few (thankfully not the majority) of the replies.

Remember a few months back when one our own, Glen Kamara, was racially abused on the pitch and then subjected to hundreds of racist messages online (see also, Goldson and Roofe).

We need to support these guys. I seriously doubt they’re taking the knee as some kind of Marxist protest. It’s against racial inequality. Support your team.

While I don't totally agree with the whole BLM movement I will be backing our players 100% on this anyone that thinks footballers especially black ones are taking the knew because its a" Marxist defund the police attacking war memorials organisation " then your dead in the brain. All there trying do is highlight racism and we've seen plenty of that especially in football over the last 6 months. If people feel need to boo because they can't stay quiet for all off five seconds then you really need to have a word with yourself

Last edited:
I guess that might have a better chance of happening when the societal and political baggage isn't being brought in via people (including players) being racists in the first place.

When football players are being targeted within football grounds as well as outwith it, then it doesn't strike me as unreasonable that they use these arenas to stage their protests against it.
Why didn't they stage their protests (take the knee) prior to the George Floyd incident?

Racism was just as prevalent before that happened.

Feel like banging my head against a brick wall seeing a few (thankfully not the majority) of the replies.

Remember a few months back when one our own, Glen Kamara, was racially abused on the pitch and then subjected to hundreds of racist messages online (see also, Goldson and Roofe).

We need to support these guys. I seriously doubt they’re taking the knee as some kind of Marxist protest. It’s against racial inequality. Support your team.

Our players have already said this and people clearly on here have ignored it for some reason.

Can someone explain why fans boo?

Haven't paid any attention as we've not been in the staduim for so long.
I think the excuse for booing is they equate kneeling with the Black Lives Matter organisation which had a manifesto that espoused Marxist views.

Personally, I think this is just an excuse for racists to be racist whilst pretending they're not racist. The gesture actually came from an American football player rather than the Black Lives Matter organisation. And it was because he didn't want to stand for the American anthem whilst he felt the countries police force were racist.

It's pretty clear to me the players are protesting racism rather than calling for a communist revolution when they take the knee. Not sure how others have become confused about it.

There isn't one rational argument to booing players for taking the knee, not one.

There isn't even one person who dishes out the usual rationale who is able to actually explain their reason coherently
Why do they need to make it about them? This is what I don't get. I'd genuinely like one of them to explain it to me.

Ask why most clubs in Scotland and the rest of the UK won't need to voice their protests. Celtic obviously love to hop in to any oppressed cause but why will there be booing in Ibrox but no booing at whatever St. Mirren or Hamilton or Motherwell games with their supports being drawn by and large form people from similar socioeconomic backgrounds.

I think the excuse for booing is they equate kneeling with the Black Lives Matter organisation which had a manifesto that espoused Marxist views.

Personally, I think this is just an excuse for racists to be racist whilst pretending they're not racist. The gesture actually came from an American football player rather than the Black Lives Matter organisation. And it was because he didn't want to stand for the American anthem whilst he felt the countries police force were racist.

It's pretty clear to me the players are protesting racism rather than calling for a communist revolution when they take the knee. Not sure how others have become confused about it.

I'm fairly certain the knee even came from a white ex serviceman in America after he spoke to Kaepernick.

Around the lines of, they knee for a fallen comrade as it's respectful.

Here is the link

I go to Ibrox to support the players. They are clear why they are doing this, nothing to do with BLM a simple stand against eh type of racism Glen Kamala was subject to. Pretty simple stuff. Hard to argue with that.

Thise arguing have their own reasons and we can raw our own conclusions for a that. We have to accept that we have an element of our support that are unable or unwilling to see what they are doing to the club and care even less. That is the way it is.

Somewhere along the line they will embarrass the club once to often and they wont be coming to Ivory to support the team. That is just the way this will play out, some people cant see what is staring them in the face.

If you refuse to empathise with families losing their kids because something happened on another continent decades ago, you need a serious rethink. Sorry.
I dont know what the f**k your on about, refusing to emphasise with families losing kids. I have told you about people who I know have been killed by these organisations.

Spoke to the young son of a lad in south belfast who was slaughtered by the provo's. So sorry, but I'll ignore your advise.

I disagree with booing the players over this. Even if your reason for booing is opposition against what you might view as a Marxist anti-BLM political party, that is not how the players will take hearing the boos.

However, people suggesting that because taking the knee was a thing before BLM or because the players have stated it doesn’t stand for support of the political movement should mean that all people should automatically be able to disassociate the two are being a bit naive/hopeful.

Taken to the extreme (not in any way trying to compare the actions of those the gestures are linked with). A number of alt-right/fascist gestures and symbols were historically used peacefully with a different meaning before they were adopted by the more infamous movements to use them. However, now they will inextricably be linked with the alt-right/fascists and most people will not be able to disassociate those gestures from relating to those groups, regardless of the stated intent of any person who might try using them (they would be rightly condemned).

This isn’t in any way an excuse to boo, but hopefully highlights why people still associate the gesture with the BLM political movement despite others thinking it should be cut and dry that it isn’t connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back