Taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anti-racist school of thought preach that all of us (assuming FF is all white) are racist. By default. That’s their starting point - us sinners must kneel as well.

No one cares, if you kneel or not and no one is asking you to...

thousands of younger kids are influenced by the actions of football players, if their taking a knee manages to persuade a few of them to be a bit nicer and not be a racist wee shit, that is surely a good thing, and the kind of thing that will change behavior over time.

I don’t understand why we’ve went back to doing it. Our players came out and said it’s a token gesture and basically does no good.

Now here we are back to taking the knee and all the division is causes. Whether it should cause division is an whole other argument.

The players and staff stood as a unit and it was way more powerful I felt.

It’s ran its course and the effect has well and truly worn off.
Obviously the players have decided otherwise, so your point is moot

Tavernier has spoken publicly that every single black players for us suffered racist abuse at some point last season. Every single one of them. If this 5 second gesture helps them express themselves then they should be supported on it.

There will likely be people booing this who are the first to call the Tramps across the city disrespectful for booing during Remembrance Day silences.

You appear to be the only person on this thread who is trying to weaponise Remembrance Day to bolster your argument.

Which is pretty shítty

I thought we had decided to ditch this as it was seen a token gesture? I thought we had moved to standing in unison arm in arm instead?

‘Taking the knee’ originated as an American practice where the national anthem is played before each game. Therefore refusing to stand has some poignancy. It looses its significance when it’s divorced from the practice of standing for an anthem.

It may have had some relevance last year as a wave of revulsion against racism swept the planet, but it’s gone on too long. It’s lost its potency and is now starting to become counter productive imo.

I'll take no lessons from a kid on left winger who had a go at striking men wanting a better deal.

Ask the ulster lads on here and who go to Ibrox how they feel about them. They lived with the terror, some of it supplied by Palestinians.
I am from a town that the IRA attacked and I think you’re talking absolute shite
If I asked this guy he'd say you were talking absolute shite.

I don’t understand why we’ve went back to doing it. Our players came out and said it’s a token gesture and basically does no good.

Now here we are back to taking the knee and all the division is causes. Whether it should cause division is an whole other argument.

The players and staff stood as a unit and it was way more powerful I felt.

It’s ran its course and the effect has well and truly worn off.

Agreed mate but seemingly we dont get to have an opinion on it as it's not you or I taking the knee.

Even after the euro final, they found only 5 from the uk, but plenty in this country make it out that there's some huge extreme right wing movement, which is and always has been bollocks.

Instead of coming on forums to have a go, take it out on the real facilitators. The fb's, twitter, Instagram and whatever else. There's the real problem.

You all have the power to do something. Go ahead and do it, the world will be better for it.
You’ve just made this up

It's 2021. We shouldn't be singing about the Pope or booing our own players for how they want to highlight a problem society has with racism. Both should have no place at the club or among our support.
I agree.
There is only one we’re getting our knickers in a twist about though.

At the Madrid game in particular there were alot of pissed up fans getting a bit overly ‘shouty’for a friendly.

The way I perceived it was a reaction to Madrid choosing to stand as we took the knee. The nuances of ‘taking the knee’ will be lost on alot of people and the booing was knee jerk to what people perceived as Madrid going against the grain.

Like I say, my perception which no doubt people will argue is wrong. But thats how I took it at the matc

I think if the players linked arms with each other at the halfway line facing the opposing team doing the same would send out a stronger message than taking the knee as it's tainted with the BLM connection ,just my opinion but the racism still prevalent in football needs eradicated ASAP ,short of lifetime bans I'm not sure what else can be done .

I hope we can do trans-rights next. Maybe open borders?

There are a section of our support who are gleefully viewing this as a chance to 'educate' fellow fans, who they have a hallucinated impression as a frothing racist nutcase. In reality there is little overt racism in our support (and country) and these people are just up their own arse and driven mad by hyperbolic media. The sense of self-importance is absolutely reekin from many of these posts.

It's fun to read, at least.
Did you miss the part where one of our black players was racially abused on the pitch?

Booing is moronic, anyone with any level of common decency knows that racism is a disgusting abhorrence, but in my view, they should choose another vehicle to get the message across.

Too much baggage now attached, in my opinion.

I am from a town that the IRA attacked and I think you’re talking absolute shite
So there was no links with the PLO and the IRA? Surely you know better than that.

Funny you have a go at me, when I've been to places and met the families who have lost loved ones over there. They believe this or are you calling them liars?

The anti-racist school of thought preach that all of us (assuming FF is all white) are racist. By default. That’s their starting point - us sinners must kneel as well.

The decision to kneel is coming from the players, not the support. The vast majority, though, are fine with the players making a gesture. Some may not even agree with the gesture but thankfully it's only a hard-headed minority that want to boo it.

It's a little like the element of the Euro away support using "freedom of speech" to justify songs. UEFA have already fined us, withheld tickets and closed a section of Ibrox. But that doesn't matter to this hard-headed minority.

Taking issue with the subject rather than the people booing is a big part of the problem

These idiots are going to continue to plague our club if this enabling persists

The gesture was booed in various grounds in England when they started allowing fans back in again and it will continue to happen up and down the whole country as more and more fans come back into stadiums. If you were going on a supporters bus this weekend I would wager there would be an even split on this. Good luck to the guys who want to take season tickets off Bears and have them ejected from Ibrox.

Even after the euro final, they found only 5 from the uk, but plenty in this country make it out that there's some huge extreme right wing movement, which is and always has been bollocks.

I take your point on this, but even if we go with the idea of it is just "some" who are racist surely then it is better to carry out actions to try and even remove that?

Saturday is the first day back at a football match for many people in a long long time and should be a day to cherish but a few folk (or maybe more than a few) are going to spoil it. Crazy.

See if the players taking a knee makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should ask yourself why it makes you uncomfortable.

I'll give you a clue, it's not because Joe Aribo has been brainwashed by Karl Marx.
I’m not comfortable with it and I know why.
However, if you want to know, I’ll help by giving you a clue in return.
It’s not because I’m racist.

I hope we can do trans-rights next. Maybe open borders?

There are a section of our support who are gleefully viewing this as a chance to 'educate' fellow fans, who they have a hallucinated impression as a frothing racist nutcase. In reality there is little overt racism in our support (and country) and these people are just up their own arse and driven mad by hyperbolic media. The sense of self-importance is absolutely reekin from many of these posts.

It's fun to read, at least.
Most people on here care about Rangers deeply and cringe at the thought of the brain-dead element of the support dragging us into the gutter with them again.

All people need to do is stay silent for 5 seconds.

See when people say taking the knee is in support of the BLM organisation and Connor Goldson comes out and say we're not doing it as a political gesture why do people still say the gesture is a political one?

Do you believe Goldson?

The gesture was booed in various grounds in England when they started allowing fans back in again and it will continue to happen up and down the whole country as more and more fans come back into stadiums. If you were going on a supporters bus this weekend I would wager there would be an even split on this. Good luck to the guys who want to take season tickets off Bears and have them ejected from Ibrox.
You would lose money.

So there was no links with the PLO and the IRA? Surely you know better than that.

Funny you have a go at me, when I've been to places and met the families who have lost loved ones over there. They believe this or are you calling them liars?
I don’t really care about those links, they don’t magically make Israeli actions justifiable, you saying that people who empathise with Palestine should be banned is laughable.

Rangers football club has nothing to do with the troubles, it has nothing to do with politics.

The bottom line of the matter is that if someone turns up to Ibrox and boos the players for protesting racism after witnessing them go through a very tough year because of racist abuse, they are a complete lady's front bottom and shouldn’t be let back in.

I take your point on this, but even if we go with the idea of it is just "some" who are racist surely then it is better to carry out actions to try and even remove that?
You’re highlighting one of my issues here.
The racism that there isn’t a lot of and you want to remove.
Is this all racism or only anti-Black racism?

You are always going to get arseholes at every club who believe that they and their views are more important than the club and the majority of fans. If you can't shut up for 30 seconds then wait outside till the game kicks off. If our players think taking a knee helps them in some way of sending a message about Racism then surely as Rangers fans we can support them by not booing.

Anyone who boo’s our players taking the knee needs rattled in the nuts. Tags had a good idea of chanting one glen kamara to drown out the fuckwits.
It’s a nice idea but imagine the thought of hearing people booing at the same time as that. Horrific.

I don’t really care about those links, they don’t magically make Israeli actions justifiable, you saying that people who empathise with Palestine should be banned is laughable.

Rangers football club has nothing to do with the troubles, it has nothing to do with politics.

The bottom line of the matter is that if someone turns up to Ibrox and boos the players for protesting racism after witnessing them go through a very tough year because of racist abuse, they are a complete lady's front bottom and shouldn’t be let back in.
Nothing to do with the troubles and nothing to do with politics but something to do with taking the knee?
Seems a touch hypocritical to me.

Obviously the players have decided otherwise, so your point is moot
Not really, because when we announced it a lot of clubs followed. The players had ‘had enough’ of token gestures and said it didn’t work but here we are again back at the gesture that ‘didn’t work’.

Rangers nailed it when we announced meetings with social media platforms, that is real action.

I’d go as far as saying racial abuse in football has gotten worse since ‘taking the knee’.

Nothing to do with the troubles and nothing to do with politics but something to do with taking the knee?
Seems a touch hypocritical to me.
It’s not hypocritical if you believe our players when they say it’s just an anti racism protest.

if you want to put words in their mouth and pretend it’s about marxism so you can boo with a clear conscience then you have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back