Match Thread Rangers v Malmö - 20:00 Tuesday - Premier Sports

2 games against them when we've put tons of crosses in while Ittens on the bench.

Wright's not ready to be a starter
Kents turned to shit
We have a 1 man midfield
our best centre back was on the bench

Naive second half, a yard slower than them, letting them win fifty fifty balls and crossing against a big defence, need to be more intelligent than that. Still in Europe but need to get our heads up, increase fitness and confidence. Goes to show how important the league is this season in order to cancel out the qualifiers so early in the season.

Contrary to how poor tactically Gerrard is at times, Jon Dal out thought him tonight.

The players started fine and Malmo struggled. The tactics were fine. Then we stopped playing and the defence was simply awful. They were the ones that put the team under pressure. 1 up then 2 f*cking awful mistakes against 10 men and the baw's up on the slates.

Decent manager, he got the tactics bang on in both games. Next Sven Goran Ericson possibly.

Id make Tavernier, Goldson, Barisic, Kent get on a pushbike tomorrow and bike to Kazakhstan if they want to be considered for the 1st team, another game where players have underperformed and its the same players.

Well that should put an end to '' The crowd will roar us on to victory'' . It was pish 40 years ago and it still is.

seen it coming tbh. Knew we would get put out tonight. The team has started this season very very badly and i fear now its only going to get worse
I think I feared the worst when we got drawn against Malmö but tonight’s elimination was completely avoidable. I watched this happen to Rangers year on year under Walter Smith. Somehow he was able to turn these disappointments around. This is a real test of Gerard’s management now.

The defence turning off after half time is unfathomable, what on earth has happened since last season. In my opinion SG was wrong to drop Helander but he's not responsible for the collective switch off, that is squarely on the players.

Entire defence all over the place the night. Barasic had a mare, Tav either hit the first man or missed everyone, every cross. Arfield missing, Kent what's going on there?

Three defeats in a row is beyond a crisis at Rangers. Two matches against Malmo where we've switched off and gifted four goals and the tie. Pathetic defeat in the middle to Dundee Utd ffs. This isn't acceptable and I'm past the stage of going "ah well, we tried, we played well, bla bla bla".

Last season winning the league kept Gerrard in a job as he must have been close to being pushed after that defeat to St Mirren. Based on what I've seen so far this season, I've seen nothing that suggests we'll better our record from last season.
I don't know how to respond to the lack of intelligence in this point.

Well done Malmo. God knows how Sweden are below Scotland in the rankings as they batter us every time.

Sorry Rangers but you are fast becoming an embarrassment. The goodwill from 55 has faded fast. We're now starting to think things could get a lot worse.

I think we need a rethink. Someone is going to need sold to fund two or three signings. Midfield is a joke that needs fixed. No idea either why Helander wasn't playing.

Absolutely gutted and utterly baffled as to how Malmö have just knocked us out of the Champions League. Why haven't we just kicked on from the success of last season, where we saw off superior competition and prevailed?

Having taken the lead and have the opposition reduced to 10 men just before half time to then then go on and lose the game at home is criminal!

Gutted Bear :(

People can dress things up say we were unlucky but for me there a serious issues with this team. Not sure if it is mentality or one or two are unsettled. It needs sorted quick or we could continu on a downward spiral

You have to take the bad with the good, I get that, but the manner of that defeat that irks me.

We had control of that game at half time but the drop off in intensity in the second 45 was inexplicable. We invited Malmo back into the game and our defending was deplorable. Our tactics after falling behind were equally as puzzling. Cross after cross after cross, when it was clearly not working. We seriously need to work on a secondary option cos Malmo didnt break sweat defending their lead tonight

Either this team was never as good as we thought they were, or there has been a serious drop in form across the side over the break. We had the chance to pocket a 20 million advantage on the tims tonight, but let it slip through our hands. The title this season is now more important than ever, and it will be a fight for us to retain it.

I sincerely hope we are up for it.

100% right.
Gerrard, and Wilson got this badly wrong. Unless the board said no dice?
We have screwed this up because of our in ability to strengthen in major areas in the team.
And we should have off loaded players who were not willing to totally commit.

Obviously we don't have the funds to pay big transfer fees so instead we have to fish in the Bosman market.

Lundstram might be a free transfer signing but it is rumoured he will cost £6m over the three years of his contract, £1.5m signing on fee and £1.5m per year salary - not exactly cheap.

We are not a Champions League team yet. We need better recruitment within the starting 11.
Our central defence are EL level and we have no creativity at this level.
That’s a cop out. Every team in our EL group stage will be better than Malmö. Time to stop with the excuses.

Helander has easily been our best defender by far so far this season. In fact Gerrard praised him last week. Then he brings in Balogun who gets taken to the cleaners.

Last edited:
That's three defeats on the bounce. Losing is a habit and we appear to have it. Gerrard needs to snap them out of it ASAP.

We seem to be repeating the malaise which tended to arrive at the halfway point of Gerrards first two seasons…You know the one where we felt something must have gone down in Dubai such was the drop in form and morale.

Kent for instance, has been a truly shocking shadow of his previous self, utterly bereft of ability on the evidence of the past three games. The defence looks nervous and shapeless and we are back to Alfie carrying us once again.

How can this be happening after such an emphatic domestic season, coupled with some great European results. I am not buying the ‘can’t play in front of a crowd’ nonsense, something is missing, team spirit and organisation is nowhere to be seen and our best players are just not turning up in important games.

Totally perplexing!

Surely after playing the ball wide for a cross into the box for 100th time had to change. We never fed the ball into a strikers feet at the edge of the box to bounce off and look for a ball round the corner. Defensively poor, either too tight or not tight enough. At this level they should know how to defend and not take the foot off the throat of them at a crucial time.

Many moons on from when we got pump by Gothenburg at the same stage, who branded us amateur holiday makers. A joke of an attempt at beating a fit, organised and disciplined side.

Benfica twice, Antwerp, Slavia and Malmö twice. Shipping goals were no real work was needed. And against ten men twice with Benfica and Malmö.

Tonight proves once and for all the defence is not what we liked to believe it is. Spare me last year. This is this year.

I'd say the manager has to take stock. Welcome to your first real pressure, Mr G.

Patterson at R/B. If you still want Tav in the team play him instead of Arfield. And I don't want him in the first team to start with.

Kamara and to a certain extent, Roofe, were absolutely crucial to this particular tie. That was out of our control. It was a wee step too far.

Fc_ucked again before the season has really started.

Welcome to the party Mr G. And against ten men too.

Both Tav and Barasic were no great shakes tonight, I have no printable words for Balogen's performance. Wouldn't mind seeing Patterson and Bassey as fullbacks next time out.

45 minutes and we were coasting, but it looked like we put a different team out in the 2cd half.
Tav and Goldson who are 2 players we look to are a shadow of last season, but in truth they've not been the only ones.
Hopefully we'll start performing again and skoosh this league, but thats a hard take tonight

Defend like we did for those 4 goals and you get what you deserve.

The way we got sucked in to the throw in then allowed him to turn 2 players was criminal.

Add in the comedy 5 minutes from last week and you ain't winning any games at this level.

Back to basics, get the back 4 settled again and build from there. Even shagger looked out of sorts tonight.

Can't believe people are annoyed at booing. First full house and back in the Champions League and the team just game up.

There are time where the team need to know they fucked it. I doubt very, very much they'll accept it themselves and do something about it.

Our team have been shit this season so far. Given a massive chance tonight and they fucked it. Absolutely totally and utterly gave up at the beginning of the half despite the man advantage.

Barisic, Goldson, Balogun and Tav should be fucking nowhere near our team for the next game and it should be made clear they were an embarrassment to the club and that is why. Big heads that think it's OK to just switch off when they can be bothered. If it was just because they're can't remain focussed that is even worse and should be dropped for that.

The team and the manager owe as a massive apology. They can't live off of last season for that. In fact, because of last season they've got even less right to get away with tonight.

What a mess. What a disgrace. Most of them should hang their heads in shame.
Yeah, I wonder if some heads have been turned with moves away, just a thought.

Hard to find a single positive tonight.
Management got it wrong and it's as much on them as the players. Leaving Helander out was a ridiculous call.

Malmo anticipated almost every move we made, we were so predictable.

No excuses, that was embarrassing.

Norma has been
Massively disappointing result. Some of the players really need to have a good look at themselves.
I can't believe how bad Borna and Kent were tonight.
Barisic average at best from January to May worse since start of the season

Arfield has been shite since start of season yet gets a start, helander dropped for Balogun who is murder. That's as bad a performance as I've seen pimco coming up to top flight watching rangers.

There appears to be something seriously wrong. Apparently last Tuesday was going to be the kick up the arse. Then Saturday was. Then we produce that tonight. Last season is done, forget about it. There are players there who are not only playing way below what they are capable of, but also appear to be going through the motions which is completely unacceptable.
Also, I’ve never really bought into this theory however I do now, as they mere sight of a fucking crowd at Ibrox appear to transport a lot of these players back to the post xmas fixtures of 2018 and 2019

H

It’s not a freak game though - it’s out 3rd defeat in a row.
I am aware of that. When I use the term 'freak' its to imply that the goals/defeats have came against the run of play. I honestly don't think we were that bad tonight, apart from decision making from the full backs. But im hurting like everyone, really hurting. Just feel sucker punched .

When the players needed the crowd most they went quite, from 35 minutes in all you could hear was the union bears..standing with yer arms folded cause we haven't scored a second yet...

Hard to believe how bad we were in the 2nd half, when we should've upped the tempo and went for the jugular. Instead we became sloppy and gifted them the tie.

I am aware of that. When I use the term 'freak' its to imply that the goals/defeats have came against the run of play. I honestly don't think we were that bad tonight, apart from decision making from the full backs. But im hurting like everyone, really hurting. Just feel sucker punched .
Bad? We were a million miles off being bad from 45:01 to 95:00. We were at amateur level.

Reactions: VMS
Back