Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the option for Itten is genuinely £3m then that's good as that would mean a profit for us if they took it up. That side are never paying £10m for anyone btw.
Exactly, if he goes to Germany and bangs in 10-15 goals that’s his new value and it should be on us to make that money

We play roofe primarily on the right and Defoe is 38/39? We can’t rely on that IMO.

We play Roofe on the right because Morelos is our first choice striker.

Morelos and Roofe are the two best centre forwards in the country.

Hopefully Sakala can push on and be a good option, like Roofe he can play through the middle or off the main striker or even slightly wide.

Jermain Defoe is an outstanding professional and a great 4th option, even with his age.

He's still very much in great shape and is still a terrific finisher.

Itten was decent, played his part in 55. But let's be honest he never really kicked on as much as we had hoped.

Or our board have a strategy. I'd be inclined to trust the businessman running our club, since they have an emotional and financial stake
I hear what you are saying.

But a squad "value" is irrelevant if you are not in the business of selling players for big profit as part of "player trading".

£16m turned down last year for Morelos. We're not ever going to get anything better than that.

They are weaker than they were on Sunday, which is pretty bizarre, and they're probably weaker than they were last season overall despite spending a right few bob, again
Compare the two teams to three seasons go, and they are definitely weaker, and we are definitely stronger. Also, back then they had a manager who got the best out of certain players that have subsequently gone back the way since he left, and we have players from that time who have improved for us. Over that period we have seen a very distinct turnaround.

We probably never had the money to do it, unfortunately. Rightly or wrongly, I think inside the club next summer is penned in as the summer of the rebuild. Win the league and get CL money and we rebuild next summer
I think you could be right. Too many players who might leave next year. But the better players might be keen for CL football so another year might be possible

One point on the tims' "improvement". If Starfelt doesn't come good for them, and the early signs are he won't, then they don't have defence that can win a title.

If him and Welsh are going to be their central defensive partnership for the foreseeable future then set-pieces is going to be a major issue for them.

Anyone else think our transfer window has been pretty poor?
Naturally keeping our better players is a massive bonus, but the squad doesnt look any stronger to me in terms of numbers or quality.

We don't exist outside of football as such, so given the effects of the pandemic, I'd ask how many teams you think look better from the end of last season compared to now in leagues of our size?

The only team in the Scottish top flight you could make an argument for would be Aberdeen. Hibs have largely stood still, St Johnstone and Celtic definitely weaker on paper, and that's all the teams who made the European competitions where there's a bit more money.

So being roughly where we were, and I'd argue a little stronger overall, isn't a negative this summer.

Not thinking about Celtic.

Our money in from transfers in over the years is very poor compared to many, many clubs.

We are seeing very little profit.

Wilson banging on about our squad value means nothing when we don't sell and take profit.

No point in me repeating the same points, I've explained my opinion on why we're not selling.

Then in the very next game against Ross County, came off the bench and played a part in Arfield's goal, and came on on Sunday and helped see out the final minutes.

Amongst most already believing he's crap, he's learning a new position and getting used to the league.

For me he'll play a big part this season when he's settled in.

The problem with Lundstrum is we played him right away, though we probably had to. Would have been better to introduce him slowly to the game here.

I’ve seen people mention 30k and 35k for lundstrum. Surely not anywhere near this?
He’s a 27 year old coming from the EPL. We didn’t have to pay a fee so he commanded a big wage and sign-on fee.

I think it was on H&H they’d mentioned he’s allegedly the second highest earner at the club.

I hear what you are saying.

But a squad "value" is irrelevant if you are not in the business of selling players for big profit as part of "player trading".

£16m turned down last year for Morelos. We're not ever going to get anything better than that.
Fair enough, but you could also argue he has/will bring in more than the difference between 16M and what we eventually get for him. Like I said earlier I think for me it comes down to trusting the folk running the club to do the right thing

We seem to be a club who have a big issue selling players and bringing in money. That's not a sustainable strategy in anyone's language.

I am simply question our end goal for this so called "model".

I have wondered about this too. Always lots of rumours but never any big sales.

(Romanticising it) Maybe playing for the greatest football club in the world with the most loyal and passionate fans on the planet under a legend like Gerrard might mean something...

As others have said, he did have offers to stay in England. Crystal Palace were widely reportedly to be very interested.

The Rangers link was there for the best part of a year before he arrived. He's admitted he grew up a massive Liverpool fan so maybe, just maybe, he's the odd exception in football and wanted to play at a huge club for one of his heroes, win titles and play in Europe.

But by the sounds of it, you already don't like him and decided ages ago he was shite, so you're going to believe what you want to believe aren't you.
That may well be the case that Crystal Palace were interested. If he wanted to play for Gerrard and the chance to play in Europe and reject EPL money then that is admirable. There are reports (maybe bullshit) that he's one of our highest earners though and it worries me that we may have offered better terms than teams with 4-5x our turnover for a player that was available on a free.

As you say, I just don't see it with him, and if that turns out to be wrong then it won't be the first or last time I've made an arse of myself.

When I hear him talk about how he's not used to the system we are asking him to play and that might be why he's not performing, and then compare that to say Aribo where you could ask him to play any position on the pitch and get a 7/10 performance out of him, then it winds me up tbh. He's meant to be a EPL level footballer worth tens of millions depending on whose asked, yet he seemingly can't adapt to slight changes in what he's used to playing. This is a guy that played for 8 different teams in the 2.5 years between Early 2013-Mid 2015. He's been around the block a bit to put it politely. It's not as if he's used to playing under one manager for the duration of his career and set in his ways.

Not thinking about Celtic.

Our money in from transfers in over the years is very poor compared to many, many clubs.

We are seeing very little profit.

Wilson banging on about our squad value means nothing when we don't sell and take profit.

And we will when it’s necessary, for football and financial reasons.

There’s little question we could have sold a number of players if we wanted to. All it would take is a lowering of fees - and not too much in some instances.

The strategy is Champions League next season. With the yahoos in rebuild, it makes sense for us to have continuity and as little disruption as possible.

We’ve done that.

Has any British player lasted more than a few months there? If this is true he’ll be back in the SPFL or League 1 down south by next summer.
Stevie Mallan, ex-Hibs, has been out there for a while now.

Bit random, but he plays most weeks. Only know because of the Scots Abroad Twitter page.

They’re also human beings, some humans need exactly that whether you like it or not.
Seriously? Weak human beings need to be coddled. I guess I grew up in times where we were told to get on with it. Now we have to give wee hugs if someone's feelings are hurt.

Here's the problem, and this seems lost on a lot of people.

We play in Scotland. We can only ever get so good without the guarantee of CL money year in year out. Celtic's record purchase is Edouard for £9m and that was after 2 consecutive years in the CL group stages.

We take punts, young cheap guys to develop and older, more established guys on frees. It's all we can do and hope some of them work out.

Kent was a massive outlay and only after a season here and we knew for sure he would improve us. Our midfield is made up entirely of freebies and £50k Kamaradona.

We got 102 points and went undefeated last season. Improving our first 11 is practically impossible without a massive, significant outlay of funds we simply can't afford.

We are where we are.
I get what you are trying to say mate but I think the point of the thread is to be angry and hysterical.

We want new signings who aren't the new signings we already made because they are already rubbish.

Give them a chance, you say? Hahaha.

Lets be honest, Robertson could shit in your bed and you’d find a positive. :)

We haven’t upgraded the starting 11, imo.

I think we were one big player short. Revitalise the whole squad.

Saying that, we fucked the CL, so we can’t expect big signings.

Sakala will hopefully kick on and be a game changer. Lundstram getting up to speed and being a genuine starter would help.

I suppose it begs the question? How do you strengthen the first 11 from last season really? What's the most glaring weakness? Everyone fit and firing, then I don't see who needs immediately replaced at present. Davis will need to be in the not so distant future, as will McGregor. Doubts about Jack's fitness but obviously the club think it's worth persevering with him.

Aribo, Hagi and Wright are all putting in great performances over the last season and this season. So that points to a bright future. Emergence of Bassey and Patterson is the same, shows a bright future there too. Our centreback back ups are admittedly 'downgrades' but how much would it cost to improve the Helander and Goldson partnership? Silly money imo. Kamara and Jack are both brilliant at what they do, but we now have Bacuna, Lundstram and Kelly to compete in midfield. Morelos, Roofe and Sakala are all great options, a bit of variety in styles there as well.

Lundstram and Sakala haven't exactly got off to great starts but they've got time to settle now. Bacuna is so far untested, we don't know, he could be an instant hit.

Anyone else think our transfer window has been pretty poor?
Naturally keeping our better players is a massive bonus, but the squad doesnt look any stronger to me in terms of numbers or quality.
It's been bang average, right in the middle. But what did we expect after Malmö?

I don't believe anyone on here knows how much players are earning it's guesswork and as Lundstram is the current whipping boy it's exaggerated even more.
Absolutely no reason for the good chaps at HandH to embellish that whatsoever.

£35k a week for a standard epl player in 2021 is the norm and even then still bottom end of the chain. Newcastle wanted him and would have been offering similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back