John Lundstram

Played well . Thought he and Balogun and Morelos and Tav were best .

re the pace Q above I think JL poss can get more dynamic but over any distance he is pretty good . I would add I reckon he is one of thr best crossers we have .

If Davis played like Lundstram tonight he’d be winning the MOTM poll in the match thread by 20/30%. If Lundstram played like Davis did tonight, he’d be getting slaughtered from pillar to post.

Have seen enough now to know that I never want to see the two of them in the same team. If it’s one of the other, I fear Lundstram is on a hiding to nothing given everybody’s love of Davis and the leeway he gets as a result of that. He’ll need to play out of his skin to convince people he deserves to be keeping Davis out the side.

A welcome improvement, even though I still think he looks short of fitness and mobility. He had some good moments. Happy for him.

The midfield to front were poor tonight that only improved when Roofe and Wright came on and we offered energy and speed in the forward areas.
Lundstram did okay but still looks quite unfit at times.

The crowd were on Lundstram tonight when he had barely any options around him.

I still don't think he's fitting well into the side but the groans whenever he takes his first touch won't help.

Hes had a tricky start for various reasons but I think anyone being realistic knows hes a good player who will, in time, be a really good player for us. That time is edging closer on a consistent level with his fitness building up and him getting more matches as part of the XI where hes learning his role.

I like him and think theres been a little too much criticism of him a little too soon.

Hes improving and will get better. Last night was a good showing.

He did alright overall, definitely his best performance to date, he seems to have much more fight further up the park when there's a chance of winning it and getting a shot at glory. He actually made some good challenges closer to the opposition box.

But he's still short for me, painfully slow and lackadaisical at times and he was pathetic at their goal. If Ryan Jack was playing he wouldn't just slowly back off and back off without putting any pressure or a challenge on the lad, and he certainly wouldn't show him inside to have a pop, that's schoolboy stuff.

We miss Jack massively, Lundstram is several levels below him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWO
I thought he did ok also. I agree he looks slow and walking in wellies at times but he was the best of our midfield three by a distance.

Midfield to front was poor. Doesn’t matter if it’s Lyon or St. Johnstone, we are not creating enough and our play is far too passive.

I thought we would have been bouncing last night. It’s was flat.

The level of the team you're playing does matter though.

It's obviously far more difficult playing against a midfield containing French and Brazilian internationalists than St Johnstone.

Isn't something that can be ignored just because people want to. It's clearly a factor to be considered last night.

We need more quality players to compete at this level.
They had a real work ethic , strength in possession and a guy who could sniff a goal from nothing.
Because of the lack of quality in Scotland we don't come up against that very often.

Their second goal was embarrassing all round.

It was telling how often he was ‘on’ for the pass and Davis, Kamara and Goldson all chose to go with riskier options, sometimes giving the ball away in the process (and making themselves look bad).

Looks like a player his team mates just don’t trust to give the ball. Not sure if that was obvious for those watching on the telly but it was glaring for me at the game itself.

I do admit he improved playing in front of the back 4 in more of a sweeper role in the last 15-20 minutes, but, could you really trust him in that role as a starter?

He got turned quite a few times including for their goal, and also for goals against us in previous matches. Teams, even in the SPL, will spot that a mile off and exploit it.

Looks a bang average lower-league jobber of a player to me. The kind of guy we’d sign under Warburton and the mentals on here would be proclaiming as ‘instantly the best player in the league’.

Might do as a squad filler but never a Rangers class midfielder in a million years.

I'm sure like I the majority were surprised to see his name in the starting eleven last night and to be fair to him he had a decent match considering but the amount of praise he's getting is quite staggering.

I'm not seeing what exactly he brings to our starting eleven nevermind our squad.

I hope to be proved wrong by him but I still find his signing a head scratcher.

Lundstram was our best player last night, Kent looks way off it, Lyon we’re swarming kamara as if they had been told too by manager, And aribo just not in game at all which I’m not surprised with

He needs a run of games then we can judge him. Add to that he will have a pop at goal.

Wasn't great in the first half but improved in the second, especially when Davis went off and he had more responsibility. It's clear he's a bit of a whipping boy for some in the crowd though.

I can't believe the amount of folk saying Lundstram had a decent game. He slowed us down so much and it's performances like his - slow (getting rings ran around him at least twice), lazy, backwards passing - that stop us performing against Lyon at this level. I thought Steve Davis put in 2x the effort and played better.

I thought him and Kent in particular should have been subbed off at half time if we were to make a go of it.

For perspective, I was at the game.

I can't believe the amount of folk saying Lundstram had a decent game. He slowed us down so much and it's performances like his - slow (getting rings ran around him at least twice), lazy, backwards passing - that stop us performing against Lyon at this level. I thought Steve Davis put in 2x the effort and played better.

I thought him and Kent in particular should have been subbed off at half time if we were to make a go of it.

Staggering claims.

the lazy backwards passing was largely due to most of the attack being static when we got the ball
Kent and Aribo were playing statues

Kamara, Aribo and Davis were playing a lot of back passes but seem to escape criticism
and Davis was absolutely shocking last night, highlighted by Gerrard subbing him so early

I thought he looked a bit wooden and lacked finesse. He did respond after Davis went off though which is positive

Received the ball in space on the halfway line, on the far side after some near play. Tav bursting down the wing into acres of empty space, beating off side. Lundstram looked up, saw the run and the pass. Pass through the gap and Tavs clean through.
Nope
Turns 180degrees and passes back to centre half
Sums up his game intelligence and the overall performance. No guile.
Tav wasn’t happy..

Received the ball in space on the halfway line, on the far side after some near play. Tav bursting down the wing into acres of empty space, beating off side. Lundstram looked up, saw the run and the pass. Pass through the gap and Tavs clean through.
Nope
Turns 180degrees and passes back to centre half
Sums up his game intelligence and the overall performance. No guile.
Tav wasn’t happy..

I was about to post the exact same comment .... kind of highlights the point about his overall performance and ability level.

Plays the easy pass every time.

read a few people saying he should have taken his shot first time, that is a wild claim, would have been unreal skill to carry that off, he done well to work his chance and get his shot off.

Hope there is more to come from him. Would like to see him track back a lot quicker and release the ball sooner but there was a lack of movement and runners last night which did not help.

I thought he was better once Davis went off, persofont think they can play together unless it's a very defensive plan.

Thought he was bang average at best.

The fact he didn’t put a challenge in for their first goal that far out and managed to get himself turned at essentially walking speed was criminal. That and on a number of occasions instead of releasing Tav down the right into space he opted for playing a simple pass sideways.

Plays like he’s still at a club happy with mid table mediocrity.

He was better than he has been but that’s not saying much. Certainly made me think he can play a bit more in lesser games to give Davis a break.

People saying he was our best midfielder in the game surely can see how absolutely tragic that is?

Davis spent most of the game blowing out his arse because he can’t handle so many games on the trot anymore, Kamara had an off game and Lundstram deserves credit for being average due to all that?

Naw

There's a reason Davis was hooked early.

Decent game from him last night. Some of his decision making was frustrating. A few times Tav bolted up the wing for the knock on and John decides to ping it back to the defenders because, reasons. Not impressed with our performance last night so probably wont spend much energy talking about it further. Midfield was honking last night.

At the game p!shed ?

Lundstram certainly wasn’t the one slowing down anything.

Davis was absolutely honking.

I am hoping I am wrong but think this season maybe one too many for both Davis and McGregor.

People saying he was our best midfielder in the game surely can see how absolutely tragic that is?

Davis spent most of the game blowing out his arse because he can’t handle so many games on the trot anymore, Kamara had an off game and Lundstram deserves credit for being average due to all that?

Naw

Haud on,

One of our midfielders was blowing out his arse, the other had an off game - surely you can see why that would then make it a challenge for the third midfielder? I mean you are literally pointing out why it would then be difficult for the other to excel in your own post, that the third part did have a decent game, is then to their credit to rise above a failing area around them

Decent game from him last night. Some of his decision making was frustrating. A few times Tav bolted up the wing for the knock on and John decides to ping it back to the defenders because, reasons. Not impressed with our performance last night so probably wont spend much energy talking about it further. Midfield was honking last night.

confidence IMO
he's the whipping boy already and sometimes he is clearly taking the "keep possession" option rather than the riskier one
and he's not alone in that

at one stage we had a break, alfie to kent
kents pass to Borna was awful, Bornas pass back to Kamara was awful, Kamara then made a terrible pass and it ended up back at McGregor

I thought he was better last night but still don’t think he has the speed of thought or range of passes we need.

One thing issue is if he get too tight and gets turned he seem to take an age to get turned himself.

Haud on,

One of our midfielders was blowing out his arse, the other had an off game - surely you can see why that would then make it a challenge for the third midfielder? I mean you are literally pointing out why it would then be difficult for the other to excel in your own post, that the third part did have a decent game, is then to their credit to rise above a failing area around them
Aye, our best midfielder during a game when midfielders he is usually nowhere near ability wise were having major off games.

He gets no praise for me for being considered the best midfielder last night, he was average and the whole midfield was pish.

Back