Jack Simpson

I really don't like getting torn into Rangers players...

But...

He is up there with the worst Rangers centre backs I've seen in my lifetime. Maybe even players. He might have a nice leftfoot, but he is generally utterly clueless in terms of actual defending. There are only so many times you can watch a Rangers defender get skint by a jobber, or look nervous against them.

I remember watching him come on at Anfield for Bournemouth and he basically threw the game because he was a bag of nerves. Nothing has changed in terms of his mentality.

There is absolutely no chance we will make a player out of Jack Simpson.

Exactly mate so I’d make sure we’d be covered with the best players possible
The problem is that Katic needs gametime though to get back fit and to our level.

Can argue that a half fit Katic is a better option than Jack Simpson but that doesn’t do anything in the development of Niko.

Hopefully we get him back in January fit and we’ll have no more worries

But...

He is up there with the worst Rangers centre backs I've seen in my lifetime. Maybe even players. He might have a nice leftfoot, but he is generally utterly clueless in terms of actual defending. There are only so many times you can watch a Rangers defender get skint by a jobber, or look nervous against them.

I remember watching him come on at Anfield for Bournemouth and he basically threw the game because he was a bag of nerves. Nothing has changed in terms of his mentality.

Gerrard pursued him, Gerrard signed him, Gerrard continues to play him.

why is that ?

For someone who's supposed to be a tidy ballplaying centre back, his clearances and decision making are utterly abysmal at times.

I would much rather Bassey or McClelland given a chance there in future

It's a no from me.

He's weak, slow and gets caught out of position.

Not to mention he looks terrified.

Balogun needs to play every league game.. thats our priority this season.

He has all the aggression of a kitten, so weak in the tackle it's unbelievable.
Allowing the motherwell player to run past him into our box for their goal was criminal.

He has a long way to go to convincing me he is good enough for Rangers. That’s the best way I can put it.

I just hope Gerrard (privately) admits we’ve got this one wrong & he never plays a meaningful game for us again.

Make no mistake Simpson was to blame for the goal today, he didn’t even try to tackle.
He actively pulled out of the challenge. I don’t know if he had his bearings wrong and thought he was in the box and was worried about a penalty, either way it was a horrendous bit of defending that has cost us.

Gerrard pursued him, Gerrard signed him, Gerrard continues to play him.

why is that ?

They probably looked at it and thought "English", "left sided", if we can get a tune out of him then we could make a decent fee.

But he is irredeemably poor when it comes to actually defending. I would love him to turn out to be a rock in our back four but it just isn't going to happen. He needs to go to a League 1 side and play games.

Throwing him in v the most physical team in Motherwell was an awful managerial decision in my opinion
I think the fact players don't pick themselves is often a valid argument.

Actually feel sorry for the lad, I'm old enough to have seen players that are obviously out of their depth many times before.

It's painful to watch.

You are allowed maybe one big mistake a season when you play for us, he's probably averaging one a game. Not impressed at all

When he signed gerrard said he was a player we had been “aware of for some time”.

I wonder what they saw during that time….

Let's get down to it. Yes he wasn't the only one, but the thread is directly about him so here goes.

He cruises about in games looking like he has everything under control, while all around him is indecision and a lack of desire.

Barisic looks a worse player any time he is near him. At least once or twice a game he has a passage of play where he looks cowardly, tentative and hugely out of his depths.

That he wasn't first choice in the championship (which in my opinion has a terrible standard of defending) says everything.

Keirnan, Cardoso and Worrall. That's the players he reminds me of.

A poor signing and doesn't look like he has levels in him at all.
If I could applaud I would that’s bang on the money the most daft signing Gerrard has made only saving grace is hopefully we didn’t pay a lot to get him early instead of at the end of the season we’ll be lucky to break even on this useless clobber

If I could applaud I would that’s bang on the money the most daft signing Gerrard has made only saving grace is hopefully we didn’t pay a lot to get him early instead of at the end of the season we’ll be lucky to break even on this useless clobber
We didn’t pay anything I’m sure, Bournemouth only wanted a sell on in the deal. That’s a positive at least.

Heart in mouth every time he had to make a challenge. Positional sense all over the place and weak as a streak of piss. Not seeing any glimmers of potential from the little he’s played so far.

Have you checked Goldson’s appearance statistics before he joined us?
Goldson had played over 100 games and was a standout for Shrewsbury at the age Simpson is now. Simpson will be 25 before the year changes and has played forty-five games of professional football in his career, he was on the fringes of the Bournemouth squad his entire time there, even after relegation. He's incredibly inexperienced for a player his age and it shows when he finds himself in positions like he did on the Motherwell goal. I struggle to understand what it was about him that had Gerrard sold on him.

This lad one of the 4 central defenders and Katic on loan absolute madness, Gerrard just doesn’t like Katic simple as that

Did we really think we would be relying on our 4th choice center half this early in the season? I didn’t, and probably neither did Gerrard, which is why Katic loan does make sense. For all of us, Simpson won’t do, quite simply because he looks scared to be a Ranger. I love Nico and feel he can be a huge player for us, but he needs games after 18 months out. That is a simple but inconvenient truth for us today. Getting one game a month isn’t getting Nico back to fitness. To argue he should have been kept here right now is as nonsensical as it is to argue Simpson is good enough for Rangers.

Can someone tell me why we dropped Balogun for Simpson today? The time to rest Balogun was in midweek, not today, as mentioned pre-match.

Simpson’s positional sense, reading of the game, aerial presence and ability to sense and deal with danger is appalling. A rabbit in headlights charging out of position and selling himself.

Who plays CB for the 20s?

Id honestly give a younger boy a chance rather than seeing Simpson again

There would at least be the benefit of them improving and learning from the experience. Simpson is as good (or maybe bad) as he’s ever going to be.

Did we really think we would be relying on our 4th choice center half this early in the season? I didn’t, and probably neither did Gerrard, which is why Katic loan does make sense. For all of us, Simpson won’t do, quite simply because he looks scared to be a Ranger. I love Nico and feel he can be a huge player for us, but he needs games after 18 months out. That is a simple but inconvenient truth for us today. Getting one game a month isn’t getting Nico back to fitness. To argue he should have been kept here right now is as nonsensical as it is to argue Simpson is good enough for Rangers.
I’d rather have the best players available than sending them on loan for minutes

He's not good enough for rangers though wasnt even good enough for Bournemouth reserves

There would at least be the benefit of them improving and learning from the experience. Simpson is as good (or maybe bad) as he’s ever going to be.
Dundee Utd had a 16yo right back today. If the young boys aren’t good enough to get a game over Simpson, just release them now

They probably looked at it and thought "English", "left sided", if we can get a tune out of him then we could make a decent fee.

But he is irredeemably poor when it comes to actually defending. I would love him to turn out to be a rock in our back four but it just isn't going to happen. He needs to go to a League 1 side and play games.
Apparently his deal was structured in a similar manner to Bacuna’s, i.e no up front cost in order to mitigate risk. But ask yourself why Bournemouth would let him go? It looks painfully obvious thus far why they elected to move him on.

Our staff will need to come to the conclusion quickly (if they haven’t already done so) that signing players from the English lower leagues will not significantly raise the levels of quality.

Today was a case of it screaming out for a new signing to lift the whole team. Alas, our new recruits don’t have the necessary uplift to improve a good side to become a better side.

Concerning times could be just around the corner.

But...

Agree with everything mate, apart from 'he might have a nice feft foot'. His distribution is mediocre at best

Trying hard not to be too down on him - if the rest of the team had done their jobs we would have had an eady 3 points - but I sincerely hope he doesn't see too much gametime this season

Can someone tell me why we dropped Balogun for Simpson today? The time to rest Balogun was in midweek, not today, as mentioned pre-match.

Simpson’s positional sense, reading of the game, aerial presence and ability to sense and deal with danger is appalling. A rabbit in headlights charging out of position and selling himself.

I’d guess it’s because Simpson isn’t in the European squad.

Back